The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Goofyernmost

Is anyone else seeing the fully rolled out ad describing FP+ as a test as a forum banner ad from 5 minutes ago, It just boggles the imagination that this is still considered a TEST.

View attachment 45902
I guess I really don't understand why you think that something that is obviously as complex as this, in the context of how it affects the park Guests (you and I included in that number) would want them to rush through and just go with whatever comes up. It seems logical to me that the longer the test, the longer the fine tuning process has to be done and perhaps the better result. Since so many of you folks feel that this is a scourge from the devil himself, I would think that you would want it to stretch out. That is unless, of course, there is some harboring of the fantasy that if they can't get it working properly right away, they will just trash can the whole thing.

That ain't gonna happen!

jme

Uh, what???
It's called 'trolling' - you see, a user makes comments just to get a response out of people. Sometimes you can do this by making bold statements just for the sake of getting people to argue with you, or by acting foolishly so people can question your intelligence, amongst other methods. It's best to ignore them and move on.

PhotoDave219

I'm still woefully disturbed by the idea that the only way to ensure profits is for Disney to cut and raise prices.

I bumped into a gas last night at the grand Floridian and he was saying that "Disney has priced itself out of the middle class"....

When will somebody on Wall Street actually come up with the bright idea that actually reinvesting in your product brings longer-term growth and success rather than playing a quarter to quarter?

It gets all these entertainment cuts that are happening right now… The parts are about entertainment, why on earth is the company cutting off its nose to spite the face?

I'm all for the stock price to go up… But I want the stock to be a solid performer and not tied to random fluctuations from quarter to quarter.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Letting Olympic sites "go to seed" happens all over, including the US. Had a chance to spend some time at the Atlanta 96 Olympics rowing venue a couple of years ago, and it looked pretty shabby and rundown.

The Atlanta Olympic Torch site has been maintained due to its close proximity to Turner Field (where the Braves play). Its not the best area of Atlanta. 3 blocks in most directions and you are in a very dangerous area. They recently voted to move the Braves Stadium 15 miles north by 2017. The Torch Site will no doubt become dilapidated within a few years. Most of the Olypmic village areas have become straight ghetto and over run by crime.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I guess I really don't understand why you think that something that is obviously as complex as this, in the context of how it affects the park Guests (you and I included in that number) would want them to rush through and just go with whatever comes up. It seems logical to me that the longer the test, the longer the fine tuning process has to be done and perhaps the better result. Since so many of you folks feel that this is a scourge from the devil himself, I would think that you would want it to stretch out. That is unless, of course, there is some harboring of the fantasy that if they can't get it working properly right away, they will just trash can the whole thing.

That ain't gonna happen!

It might be because I've personally DONE systems of that scale before and I've fixed a bunch of other which ran into trouble. So I KNOW what is required and expected and it's not happening in Orlando, A system which runs a few hundred thousand transactions per day is not difficult and should not have cost 1/50'th of the reported expense.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The Atlanta Olympic Torch site has been maintained due to its close proximity to Turner Field (where the Braves play). Its not the best area of Atlanta. 3 blocks in most directions and you are in a very dangerous area. They recently voted to move the Braves Stadium 15 miles north by 2017. The Torch Site will no doubt become dilapidated within a few years. Most of the Olypmic village areas have become straight ghetto and over run by crime.
Somewhat accurate.

The area around Turner field is a bit dicey.

The original torch tower was moved north of Turner field. It is already in pretty rough shape. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't just tear it down, considering the other torch tower built downtown near centennial park, right off the connector.

The Braves move to Cobb County was a huge political maneuver and had very little to do with the neighborhood the current stadium is in (and it was a stupid idea, but they are doing it anyway). The Olympic village didn't become "ghettos overrun by crime"...they were built on or near college campuses, largely Georgia Tech and Clark Atlanta, and became student dorms after the Olympics.

The rowing events were not in Atlanta, they were in Gainesville at Lake Lanier, and were never intended to be permanent.

Seeing as how the city netted around 10 million from the Olympics, and it gave much needed attention and investment to infrastructure in the downtown area, I would call it a success.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

That ain't gonna happen!

Its just sad that Disney plays both sides of the fence. Its toted as huge enhancement when they sell it to you, but when any of the negative aspects are brought up, "its still in testing". @PhotoDave219 said it best, its not really testing when your forced to use it.

Add the fact that its advertised on the "must do chanel" in your resort room and I dont recall Stacy mentioning it being in test mode still. I also dont recall any of the packages of MB's and the jump drive they sent me mentioning it being in test mode. The CM's at concierge that I spoke with at the resort failed to mention it was in test mode when we arrived as well. They did however mention testing mode when both of my wifes MB's failed to open our room door and had issues at park entrance.

lazyboy97o

That ain't gonna happen!
No good software developer just dumps the product as is after release. The problems and need for prolonged testing are far more rooted in the culture at Disney that has a history of troubled technology products and ignoring front line realities.

alphac2005

Somewhat accurate.

The area around Turner field is a bit dicey.

The original torch tower was moved north of Turner field. It is already in pretty rough shape. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't just tear it down, considering the other torch tower built downtown near centennial park, right off the connector.

The Braves move to Cobb County was a huge political maneuver and had very little to do with the neighborhood the current stadium is in (and it was a stupid idea, but they are doing it anyway). The Olympic village didn't become "ghettos overrun by crime"...they were built on or near college campuses, largely Georgia Tech and Clark Atlanta, and became student dorms after the Olympics.

The rowing events were not in Atlanta, they were in Gainesville at Lake Lanier, and were never intended to be permanent.

Seeing as how the city netted around 10 million from the Olympics, and it gave much needed attention and investment to infrastructure in the downtown area, I would call it a success.

Just like the tennis facilities in Stone Mountain, they were built for the Games, but the future use was up in the air. Things have come and gone there and they're looking again to see if the facility can be revitalized. As for the dorms, it's just as you said. The main village dorms became dorms for Georgia State after the Olympics and once State grew their campus and built their own dorms near the campus, they then became appropriately enough Georgia Tech dorms right on campus. Besides the net dollar gain, the international exposure from the Olympics made it invaluable for the city. I moved here (and since left and returned) in '96 and the population has completely doubled in the metro since.

In all honesty, the Turner Field area is vastly improved in the past decade and cleaned up, although it still has terrible spots. It was a terrible location for a stadium between the lack of infrastructure, broken up parking lot availability, and a lack of any entertainment or other spots by the stadium. The Cobb deal will really fix that problem.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Just like the tennis facilities in Stone Mountain, they were built for the Games, but the future use was up in the air. Things have come and gone there and they're looking again to see if the facility can be revitalized. As for the dorms, it's just as you said. The main village dorms became dorms for Georgia State after the Olympics and once State grew their campus and built their own dorms near the campus, they then became appropriately enough Georgia Tech dorms right on campus. Besides the net dollar gain, the international exposure from the Olympics made it invaluable for the city. I moved here (and since left and returned) in '96 and the population has completely doubled in the metro since.

In all honesty, the Turner Field area is vastly improved in the past decade and cleaned up, although it still has terrible spots. It was a terrible location for a stadium between the lack of infrastructure, broken up parking lot availability, and a lack of any entertainment or other spots by the stadium. The Cobb deal will really fix that problem.
Meh. So would dumping the same amount of money (or less) into revitalizing and renovating the area around Turner Field. You are right though, that area has gotten much better over the past decade.

I haven't followed the Cobb relocation that closely (because I really don't care), but it seems a bit silly to me. I still haven't heard what they plan to do with Turner Field once it is vacated. Though, I can understand the politics of Fulton County are a bit wonky and make redevelopment difficult...but, pretty much the whole of Atlanta south of 20 and north of the Airport needs it's reset button pushed. :p

TalkingHead

Besides the net dollar gain, the international exposure from the Olympics made it invaluable for the city. I moved here (and since left and returned) in '96 and the population has completely doubled in the metro since.

Has the High Museum of Art improved in the last decade? Always amazed me how poor Atlanta's museum offerings were for a supposed world-class city.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It's called 'trolling' - you see, a user makes comments just to get a response out of people. Sometimes you can do this by making bold statements just for the sake of getting people to argue with you, or by acting foolishly so people can question your intelligence, amongst other methods. It's best to ignore them and move on.

Oh really? Lino isnt a game show host in the colonies then, my mistake. I will do better to keep up with your celebrities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom