The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

lazyboy97o

Of course it is people. But at the risk of bringing up one of our nation's greatest shames, it's like the gun violence issue. No guns do not kill. Out of control, emotional, crazy and evil people kill WITH guns. They would not be able to do the damage they do without the tool.

Here, the tool is social media platforms.

Generally, you could always count on mainstream print or broadcast news media to not make it up as they went along (at least prior to FOX and MSNBC and CNBC and, in the last decade, CNN) the BS 'liberal media' bias aside.

Rumour gets taken as news on these new platforms and the old ones, decimated by Wall Street's bottom line and people tuning out of traditional media, pick up the info and run with it. Never has so much misinformation, lies and PR/propaganda been touted as 'news'.

The fact that every medium has been used in the past for misinformation is only on-point if you wish to argue that the new platforms are adding more to society than they are taking away. You can do so, but ultimately it is simply one opinion vs. another and neither of us are likely to change our opinions.

As to where I was looking, I saw the story spreading thru Twitter. So, for me, the originator of the story was Twitter. And I think FB is just as vile, if not more so than Twitter.

I mean how could they be good when everyone from the US government to Wall Street to TWDC want you to use them, right?
You're comparing today, with an explosion of information, to a prior state that only existed for a relatively small moment. Most towns had multiple newspapers not because people wanted more variety, but because each paper was controlled by and a representative of specific interests. We've had a phrase to describe this sort of hasty, sensationalist, poorly researched, more about sales journalism for over a century now.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
The liquor laws are restrictive for a reason. Parents can - and should - still teach responsibility if their children are going to drink as adults, just as they do (or are supposed to...) with many other decisions they will face as adults. You don't have to change any laws to teach awareness and responsibility.

You are correct, the laws don't have to change for parents to teach their children responsibility. It is however much more difficult to legally teach them moderation and control when they are simply not allowed to participate. I have both a 21yo daugher and a 16yo son, my daughter drinks occasionally and seems very responsibly but my son has already had friends very badly injured (not driving a car) due to HIDING the fact they were drinking and afraid of the fallout from getting caught. In general we in the US are very repressed when it comes to both sexuality and drinking. Instead of fostering a healthy, open line of communication with our children we simply say DON'T and believe the kids aren't.

Cesar R M

Of course it is people. But at the risk of bringing up one of our nation's greatest shames, it's like the gun violence issue. No guns do not kill. Out of control, emotional, crazy and evil people kill WITH guns. They would not be able to do the damage they do without the tool.

Here, the tool is social media platforms.

Generally, you could always count on mainstream print or broadcast news media to not make it up as they went along (at least prior to FOX and MSNBC and CNBC and, in the last decade, CNN) the BS 'liberal media' bias aside.

Rumour gets taken as news on these new platforms and the old ones, decimated by Wall Street's bottom line and people tuning out of traditional media, pick up the info and run with it. Never has so much misinformation, lies and PR/propaganda been touted as 'news'.

The fact that every medium has been used in the past for misinformation is only on-point if you wish to argue that the new platforms are adding more to society than they are taking away. You can do so, but ultimately it is simply one opinion vs. another and neither of us are likely to change our opinions.

As to where I was looking, I saw the story spreading thru Twitter. So, for me, the originator of the story was Twitter. And I think FB is just as vile, if not more so than Twitter.

I mean how could they be good when everyone from the US government to Wall Street to TWDC want you to use them, right?

I actually laughed loudly then facepalmed when foxnews defended their lies as "opinionated news protected by the constitution and free speech"

Wish someone would sue foxnews and other media outlets for fraud.
Since their job is to deliver NEWS as a product, if they fail.. then their product is DEFECTIVE.

Yep, all of this and the "get it first", who cares if it's right or not, or if they have to adjust their news story later. The other thing, like visiting CNN.com is the crapload of tabloid-esque filler that's constantly on there.

The worst offender though, for me, is actually the weather channel and its website...horrible excuse for a weather site with all of the sensationalist, barely recognizable as weather related "headlines" and videos

I suppose they have to get a way to attract viewers.
since most people can just use a feed program or an app to get the weather without touching their website.

This.

In recent months, I am astounded (not in a good way) at how many stories on various "news" websites conclude with "(this news agency) first saw this news on Twitter." Twitter is big source of "news" these days. It is scary.
and considering how easy is to make mock up accounts (anyone seen the obama one? lol) that throw misinformation as jokes..
Worse when some newsoutlets actually tough this was real.

Some people think I'm crazy when I say this but it's the drinking age in this country that causes this. We do not let people drink until they are 21 years old in this country and that is what causes the extreme excess. I have spent a lot of time in other countries that have no drinking age and you do not see the abuse of alcohol there on the same level as you do in the USA. Parents actually teach their kids how to drink properly. It's part of their culture. They don't learn with a bunch of teenagers sneaking around binge drinking trying not to get caught. In this country if you give your teenagers a glass of wine with dinner some people think you should be locked up for bad parenting. Think about it, we teach kids how to drive before we teach them how to drink. To me that is crazy. Drinking takes time to learn how to do it responsibly. Alcohol affects everyone differently and it takes time to learn how it will affect you personally. I truly believe people should learn this before they are given the right to drive.

agree, that is why tons of kids love to travel overseas to "free" themselves from the rules, and as hell they will not be experience or smart when the drinking time starts.
You can check these spring break crazyness videos everywhere :|

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
No. Actually forgot about it.

Wanted to catch Resurrection on ABC ... thought it was promising. Easily the best drama the network has debuted this year. It had a Lost vibe that I enjoyed.

I am also enjoying NBC's Believe right now.

Funny how the teams behind these shows were also behind two of Oscar's favorite films this year.

I will have to watch Res on HULU. Forgot to DVR it and I will not watch programming unless DVR'ed. My time is too valuable to see five minutes of ED fixes every hours.

Did you catch LOST in Fairytaleland. It grabbed my attention very well and the 42 minutes of show was gone before I knew it.

bhg469

We went to Hawaii last year but had no desire to spend to stay at Aulani and quite honestly, we wanted to experience something besides Disney for a change. We'll be back to Hawaii in a couple of years but won't stay at Aulani and will avoid Oahu altogether.
I would love to visit Hawaii or bora bora or anywhere in the south pacific. We went on our honeymoon to st lucuia and we loved it. It can only be better.

michmousefan

Fallon's set design is awful. It looks like some crappy theater built in the late 60's early 70's. There is nothing wrong with retro but that is awful.
Seth's theater isn't much better, and why didn't someone at NBC (other than Lorne, who may have intended it) ensure something to make the two sets a bit more distinct? Even Brian Williams made a joke on Meyers' show last week about how nobody at NBC can use any more wood for their sets as it's all been taken by these two.

Computer Magic

I am curious as to your thoughts on the Tour you took and what made you decide to take a trip of this sort with Disney.
Safety and Trust was the reason we selected Disney but the added quality (touch) that they provided. Yes, just like DCL (which I've been on twice) ABD still gives quality to their guests, just like when I honeymooned at WDW in 1995. There are so many hidden surprises they do based on the group.

For the most part, you don't even know its a Disney tour. There are no characters involved. The only thing Disney was the movies they show on the bus and when the guides take the kids to Disney night that give adults time to socialize.

There are adults only tours which would be cool if DCL did that. But I can avoid the kids for the most part.

As for Southern CA, there are a few days in DL. Since I've never been to DL this is a good way to go VIP style. Things where I don't have connections to have access to, the tour gives like Walt's Apartment. Sometimes the group gets to eat at Club 33. There is VIP seating for World of Color and walk on rides to many of the attractions. Yes, you pay a premium for this.

All in all, I enjoy guided tours as you save time having to find places and things to do.

ParentsOf4

After 18 years at Disney, Sweeney is leaving.

My favorite quote is:

“What drives me now is getting closer to or being immersed in the creative process.”

Left unsaid is how she would have finished the sentence if she wasn't worried about burning bridges:

"Because any semblance of creativity at Disney has been crushed under an oppressive mountain of bureaucracy, endless requirements for cost-benefit analysis justifications, and petty bickering between fiefdoms in the Iger Regime." :)

Last edited:

Cesar R M

After 18 years at Disney, Sweeney is leaving.

My favorite quote is:

“What drives me now is getting closer to or being immersed in the creative process.”

Left unsaid is how she would have finished the sentence if she wasn't worried about burning bridges:

"Because any semblance of creativity at Disney has been crushed under an oppressive mountain of bureaucracy, endless requirements for cost-benefit analysis justifications, and petty bickering between fiefdoms under the Iger Regime." :)
I swear reading the name, I immediately was thinking of Sweeney Todd.
and I imagined her giving Mr. Iger the closest shave he could get. XD

jt04

Universal looks to be running circles around WDW right now. Too bad they don't have a lot more land to play with.

In the latest interview they admit they are not trying to beat Disney but rather just grabbing market share that seems limitless at this point for central Florida. I am glad they have expressed it in a press release for those here who are thinking they will overtake the mouse. They have found a niche and are doing a great job with it.

Captain Neo

Has Dusty Sage owned up to Miceage recent false reporting? That site has been going to hell in a hand basket for the past 2 years. I was a member their since day one and was recently banned just because I was pro-Star Wars land arguing with a few baby boomers who want Disney to bring back Peoplemover and Carousel of Progress instead.

jt04

Has Dusty Sage owned up to Miceage recent false reporting? That site has been going to hell in a hand basket for the past 2 years. I was a member their since day one and was recently banned just because I was pro-Star Wars land arguing with a few baby boomers who want Disney to bring back Peoplemover and Carousel of Progress instead.

Happy WDW isn't limited by such conundrums. We can have it all! :D

alphac2005

I feel like this is a @WDW1974 post right now, but I got word of something huge that will be going down in the media business and this will be MAJOR. Two different parties are looking at a certain media company and this is very, very far along. It is at this stage the media giant determining who they're selling to. Either party that will buy the said company create a game changer. There are no anti-trust issues to deal with. I can say that the people within the selling party really want one company and not the other.... Both of those said companies are in the same businesses. I know it's crazy vague, but use you imagination and read some tea leaves. All I'll say that a prior poster talking about Disney & Time-Warner aren't the parties involved in this deal. Major, major, major. Remember that you heard it here first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom