The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yesssssssssss I know we are not allowed to get political here, but since you brought it up and it is your thread.....I am neither a NRA gun tooting advocate or a "all guns are bad" kind of person. But I will never take the whole gun control discussion seriously as long as tobacco and alcohol are still sold in this country. Yes I am totally serious!

It just sounds good in the media, another talking point to get votes from a group of people. IMO tobacco is much more dangerous then guns will ever be. More people die from lung cancer and alcohol related deaths then gun violence by a mile. We all know why we continue to sell these products $$$$$$$$ But isn't that the hypocrisy of it all. When little kids were eating lead paint chips what did we do? Ban lead paint, but they can get a hold of mommy and daddy's cigarettes and puff away. Alcohol deaths? What positive place does alcohol have in society? I may have a toddy here and there myself but in the big picture alcohol has devastated many lives. Kill many more people then guns ever do. Gun deaths are more violent, lung cancer you just die a slow death. That doesn't play well on the evening news. Innocent people you say? How many people die of second hand smoke? How many have lost loved ones to alcohol related car accidents?

Guns are scary so they are demonized, but we as a nation just turn our collective backs on a real killer in the name of the almighty dollar. Do I own a gun? You bet I do. But I don't own an arsenal....just one, that's all I need. Never know when a crazed fanboi wants to break in my house and steal my collection of Mickey plush.

I am strongly anti-gun at this point (I used to be much more moderate on the topic). And I don't want 16 pages of debate on it. But guns are so much more of an issue than either of the two things you listed. I truly am tired of trying to explain to people all over the world, during my travels for work and pleasure, why we are a nation that is accepting of 26 first-graders being slaughtered like animals or a few dozen folks at a movie theater or dozens at a college campus. And how we can claim such moral high ground as a peace-loving people when we are anything but is always amusing when abroad. The only country where I am afraid of people with guns is this one.

That gun of yours won't likely ever be used (thankfully), but if it is the chances of it being you taking out a criminal and not a friend or family member or it being found by a child or stolen by a criminal and used in a tragedy are so much greater.

But to your greater (I hope) point, alcohol kills way too many Americans because we have such a puritanical attitude toward it. You give a 12-year-old a glass of wine with dinner here and you go to jail. We make booze so taboo (much like sex) that we absolutely drive kids to use and abuse it. ... And that bad behavior winds up continuing for so many Americans into adulthood in drunk driving, abusive relationships and, yes, getting drunk at EPCOT.

And smoking? Thanks to making smokers pariahs, the vast majority of smokers only kill themselves. Again, you can't compare to gun violence. Well, you can ... it just isn't a valid comparison.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I will have to watch Res on HULU. Forgot to DVR it and I will not watch programming unless DVR'ed. My time is too valuable to see five minutes of ED fixes every hours.

Did you catch LOST in Fairytaleland. It grabbed my attention very well and the 42 minutes of show was gone before I knew it.

I think Sunday is becoming way too busy with appointment TV.

And yes, I caught what I call the "Gay Lost'' (not my origination, a friend's) and enjoyed it. I was sorta beyond over the whole Pan arc.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I would love to visit Hawaii or bora bora or anywhere in the south pacific. We went on our honeymoon to st lucuia and we loved it. It can only be better.

Hawaii is one of my favorite locations in the world. I'd love to see Bora Bora.

My last time in St. Lucia, I didn't quite realize the potency of the island's rum ... much of the visit became a blur, but I know it was beautiful.

Cesar R M

I am strongly anti-gun at this point (I used to be much more moderate on the topic). And I don't want 16 pages of debate on it. But guns are so much more of an issue than either of the two things you listed. I truly am tired of trying to explain to people all over the world, during my travels for work and pleasure, why we are a nation that is accepting of 26 first-graders being slaughtered like animals or a few dozen folks at a movie theater or dozens at a college campus. And how we can claim such moral high ground as a peace-loving people when we are anything but is always amusing when abroad. The only country where I am afraid of people with guns is this one.

That gun of yours won't likely ever be used (thankfully), but if it is the chances of it being you taking out a criminal and not a friend or family member or it being found by a child or stolen by a criminal and used in a tragedy are so much greater.

But to your greater (I hope) point, alcohol kills way too many Americans because we have such a puritanical attitude toward it. You give a 12-year-old a glass of wine with dinner here and you go to jail. We make booze so taboo (much like sex) that we absolutely drive kids to use and abuse it. ... And that bad behavior winds up continuing for so many Americans into adulthood in drunk driving, abusive relationships and, yes, getting drunk at EPCOT.

And smoking? Thanks to making smokers pariahs, the vast majority of smokers only kill themselves. Again, you can't compare to gun violence. Well, you can ... it just isn't a valid comparison.

ahem, shared smoke is a big issue in many places that do not have such restrictions as your country.

If you wanted to smoke, well good for you.. but smoke in a private place or away from the groups of people (particularly away from doors in buildings and out from the restaurants, stores...etc..)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Universal looks to be running circles around WDW right now. Too bad they don't have a lot more land to play with.

They have plenty of land. And within the next few years, they'll have plenty more.

To continue the great online never-ending Disney vs. UNI ing match, I'll just say that Disney has largely squandered 43 square miles with real estate development, haphazard planning from infrastructure and transport standpoints etc.

WDW1974

Original Poster
In the latest interview they admit they are not trying to beat Disney but rather just grabbing market share that seems limitless at this point for central Florida. I am glad they have expressed it in a press release for those here who are thinking they will overtake the mouse. They have found a niche and are doing a great job with it.

Overtaking the Mouse is dumb fanboi drivel ... that isn't what UNI is attempting. They are growing their business in a smart, deliberate fashion. They are opting for creating magical experiences for guests instead of sticking a MAGIC band on their arms.

But they can also inflict great harm on Disney by simply changing the paradigm of a typical Central FL vacation.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I feel like this is a @WDW1974 post right now, but I got word of something huge that will be going down in the media business and this will be MAJOR. Two different parties are looking at a certain media company and this is very, very far along. It is at this stage the media giant determining who they're selling to. Either party that will buy the said company create a game changer. There are no anti-trust issues to deal with. I can say that the people within the selling party really want one company and not the other.... Both of those said companies are in the same businesses. I know it's crazy vague, but use you imagination and read some tea leaves. All I'll say that a prior poster talking about Disney & Time-Warner aren't the parties involved in this deal. Major, major, major. Remember that you heard it here first.

Intriguing ... there has certainly been some chatter in the business. A lot of folks seem to think Comcast is going to make another move, but I just don't see it. Not after the TWC deal. They have deep pockets, but not that deep. A lot of others seem to think the WB studios are up for grabs. I don't. ... But you have piqued my curiosity.

WDW1974

Original Poster
No. ABC. IMO.

No. But nice guess.

The revolution will be televised. I think the next two years will be amazing. In a good way. The consumer will be at the helm.

I don't think so. Not at all. For all the crowing that UNI fanbois want to make over the Comcast deal to acquire TWC, it isn't consumer friendly. At. All.

The consumer has very little power, despite what Wall Street wants the Average American Rube (AAR) to believe.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a guess, but both companies have a lot of cash on hand and could look to buy a media company.

Neither Google nor Apple are media companies. They are tech companies.

Now, would Google like a streaming service a la Netflix? Most possibly ... is that going to happen? We'll see.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Now, would Google like a streaming service a la Netflix? Most possibly ... is that going to happen? We'll see.
Um...they have one. It's called youtube.

You do know that youtube has a pay per view service for streaming HD movies, right?

Google is most certainly in the media business, including content creation. Apple, however, has positioned itself strictly as a media distributor.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Um...they have one. It's called youtube.

You do know that youtube has a paid per view service for streaming HD movies, right?

Google is most certainly in the media business, including content creation. Apple, however, has positioned itself strictly as a media distributor.

Sure, but Google is still largely a tech business. That is where their billions come from. And you can't compare their pay per view with a service the size of Netflix.

And Apple ... is ... Apple.

And, frankly, I think that's a good thing as I am not a big fan of either company's 'reach' into the lives of people.

Cesar R M

Sure, but Google is still largely a tech business. That is where their billions come from. And you can't compare their pay per view with a service the size of Netflix.

And, frankly, I think that's a good thing as I am not a big fan of either company's 'reach' into the lives of people.
youtube.. size of netflix?

as far I know, almost everyone in the world uses youtube.com
something that cannot be said of netflix.

the.dreamfinder

Well Google is trying to become a cable company. I mean, I just want to see Google come to Philadelphia and watch Comcast itself trying to stop it. I guess they'll try to bribe the city with another pretty skyscraper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom