The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Of course it is people. But at the risk of bringing up one of our nation's greatest shames, it's like the gun violence issue. No guns do not kill. Out of control, emotional, crazy and evil people kill WITH guns. They would not be able to do the damage they do without the tool.

Here, the tool is social media platforms.

Generally, you could always count on mainstream print or broadcast news media to not make it up as they went along (at least prior to FOX and MSNBC and CNBC and, in the last decade, CNN) the BS 'liberal media' bias aside.

Rumour gets taken as news on these new platforms and the old ones, decimated by Wall Street's bottom line and people tuning out of traditional media, pick up the info and run with it. Never has so much misinformation, lies and PR/propaganda been touted as 'news'.

The fact that every medium has been used in the past for misinformation is only on-point if you wish to argue that the new platforms are adding more to society than they are taking away. You can do so, but ultimately it is simply one opinion vs. another and neither of us are likely to change our opinions.

As to where I was looking, I saw the story spreading thru Twitter. So, for me, the originator of the story was Twitter. And I think FB is just as vile, if not more so than Twitter.

I mean how could they be good when everyone from the US government to Wall Street to TWDC want you to use them, right?

Yep, all of this and the "get it first", who cares if it's right or not, or if they have to adjust their news story later. The other thing, like visiting CNN.com is the crapload of tabloid-esque filler that's constantly on there.

The worst offender though, for me, is actually the weather channel and its website...horrible excuse for a weather site with all of the sensationalist, barely recognizable as weather related "headlines" and videos

John

Of course it is people. But at the risk of bringing up one of our nation's greatest shames, it's like the gun violence issue. No guns do not kill. Out of control, emotional, crazy and evil people kill WITH guns. They would not be able to do the damage they do without the tool.

Yesssssssssss I know we are not allowed to get political here, but since you brought it up and it is your thread.....I am neither a NRA gun tooting advocate or a "all guns are bad" kind of person. But I will never take the whole gun control discussion seriously as long as tobacco and alcohol are still sold in this country. Yes I am totally serious!

It just sounds good in the media, another talking point to get votes from a group of people. IMO tobacco is much more dangerous then guns will ever be. More people die from lung cancer and alcohol related deaths then gun violence by a mile. We all know why we continue to sell these products $$$$$$$$ But isn't that the hypocrisy of it all. When little kids were eating lead paint chips what did we do? Ban lead paint, but they can get a hold of mommy and daddy's cigarettes and puff away. Alcohol deaths? What positive place does alcohol have in society? I may have a toddy here and there myself but in the big picture alcohol has devastated many lives. Kill many more people then guns ever do. Gun deaths are more violent, lung cancer you just die a slow death. That doesn't play well on the evening news. Innocent people you say? How many people die of second hand smoke? How many have lost loved ones to alcohol related car accidents?

Guns are scary so they are demonized, but we as a nation just turn our collective backs on a real killer in the name of the almighty dollar. Do I own a gun? You bet I do. But I don't own an arsenal....just one, that's all I need. Never know when a crazed fanboi wants to break in my house and steal my collection of Mickey plush.

Witchy Chick

Generally, you could always count on mainstream print or broadcast news media to not make it up as they went along (at least prior to FOX and MSNBC and CNBC and, in the last decade, CNN) the BS 'liberal media' bias aside.

Rumour gets taken as news on these new platforms and the old ones, decimated by Wall Street's bottom line and people tuning out of traditional media, pick up the info and run with it. Never has so much misinformation, lies and PR/propaganda been touted as 'news'.

This.

In recent months, I am astounded (not in a good way) at how many stories on various "news" websites conclude with "(this news agency) first saw this news on Twitter." Twitter is big source of "news" these days. It is scary.

RSoxNo1

Craig Ferguson was a true breath of fresh air when he got the 12:35 slot on CBS. But ... well, he seems to also have lost his edge a bit now a decade into his run. The first sign was when he started wearing a tie per Les Moonves' decree***. I also think he has begun to rely on filler like his Tweets and Emails segment (no similarities to mine here!), which is usually quite weak. But he definitely is unique in the group. And I am not yet tired of his gay skeleton robot sidekick.

Tom Snyder was a great. I watched some of his interviews from his old NBC show on tape and they were amazing. And his CBS show was pretty much more of the same. They don't make them like him anymore. And, if they did, they wouldn't put him on the air -- even at 12:35 in the morning.

***I see Julie Chen on either his show or Letterman's seemingly once every two weeks ...yes, we all know who she is married to, but c'mon. What exactly is her talent? Marrying well?
I too am bothered by Julie Chen appearing on these shows. She has a good personality and often brings more than many actors and actresses, but it's not exactly a good "get". I suspect (hope) she's a fill in guest. Ferguson's Tweets and E-Mail segments are far better than any structured segment on any other late night show simply because they're just a tool used for improv. While the segment itself may be stale, that's only because you're viewing it as a segment and not an improv session.

JimboJones123

Yesssssssssss I know we are not allowed to get political here, but since you brought it up and it is your thread.....I am neither a NRA gun tooting advocate or a "all guns are bad" kind of person. But I will never take the whole gun control discussion seriously as long as tobacco and alcohol are still sold in this country. Yes I am totally serious!

It just sounds good in the media, another talking point to get votes from a group of people. IMO tobacco is much more dangerous then guns will ever be. More people die from lung cancer and alcohol related deaths then gun violence by a mile. We all know why we continue to sell these products $$$$$$$$ But isn't that the hypocrisy of it all. When little kids were eating lead paint chips what did we do? Ban lead paint, but they can get a hold of mommy and daddy's cigarettes and puff away. Alcohol deaths? What positive place does alcohol have in society? I may have a toddy here and there myself but in the big picture alcohol has devastated many lives. Kill many more people then guns ever do. Gun deaths are more violent, lung cancer you just die a slow death. That doesn't play well on the evening news. Innocent people you say? How many people die of second hand smoke? How many have lost loved ones to alcohol related car accidents?

Guns are scary so they are demonized, but we as a nation just turn our collective backs on a real killer in the name of the almighty dollar. Do I own a gun? You bet I do. But I don't own an arsenal....just one, that's all I need. Never know when a crazed fanboi wants to break in my house and steal my collection of Mickey plush.
I'll tackle this. Since it really is only quasi political.

There is a deep rooted culture of alcohol glorification in this country that needs a paradigm shift. It doesn't help that the top is fully on board. What did Obama bet on for the Olympic hockey games against Canada? A case of beer. There isn't a government function where more money isn't spent on booze than food.

Although neither candidate was ever going to become The Next Great President, I found it very refreshing that Mitt was willing to at least subtly address the alcohol obsession in our country during his campaign by trying to bend the culture a bit.

The fact that drinking is a right of passage in our country really gets to the heart of what is wrong with our self absorbed, reality abandoning attitudes.

I am not saying it should be banned, but there is a deep underlying problem when citizens depend on it to either overcome their own personal shortcomings or define themselves.

alphac2005

Craig Ferguson was a true breath of fresh air when he got the 12:35 slot on CBS. But ... well, he seems to also have lost his edge a bit now a decade into his run. The first sign was when he started wearing a tie per Les Moonves' decree***. I also think he has begun to rely on filler like his Tweets and Emails segment (no similarities to mine here!), which is usually quite weak. But he definitely is unique in the group. And I am not yet tired of his gay skeleton robot sidekick.

Tom Snyder was a great. I watched some of his interviews from his old NBC show on tape and they were amazing. And his CBS show was pretty much more of the same. They don't make them like him anymore. And, if they did, they wouldn't put him on the air -- even at 12:35 in the morning.

***I see Julie Chen on either his show or Letterman's seemingly once every two weeks ...yes, we all know who she is married to, but c'mon. What exactly is her talent? Marrying well?

Julie Chen certainly married well and is seemingly everywhere with a whole lot of nothing going on. I think her face might start sliding off from all of her nutty cosmetic work. Moonves was so hated around the CBS News operation when he decided to bring over Katie Couric (Some actually realized that she worked well in the 'Today' setting at NBC, but after that, forget it.) and his stink lingers to this day.

The operations at CBS News were in basic open revolt once that went down. Internally they wanted Scott Pelley after throwing Dan Rather under the bus....

She brought in her own team for the CBS Evening News as part of her deal sidelining and un-employing many worthy long-time workers from producers to board operations. I remember visiting "Katie's set" back when she was still there and the edict was clear, don't even think about sitting on the chair in the set. You can look at the set, but don't even try because her crew was back in their CBS Evening News newsroom bullpen and someone could go bats***. Not impressed by her based on her demands and the people that she brought over. Basically during her time, her team and the rest of the CBS News teams weren't on speaking terms.

Her leaving was the a huge sigh of relief over there. The irony is that had Moonves let his news people make the proper decision and not try to get a big get with Couric, their ratings would have done better. Couric leaves and Pelley has improved their numbers quite well. Evening broadcast news might not be what it used to be, but there is still a substantial draw.

Last edited:

Fe Maiden

If you haven't seen this one, check it out. Tom interviewing Kiss on Halloween 1979. One of the most fun and entertaining interviews ever. 4:45 in and 8:15 in are just gold. Ace's laugh is infectious, Tom unknowingly propositions him, and Gene, who is all business all the time, is just seething.

PhotoDave219

The Whopper is indeed the Whopper worldwide.

I had one at a train station in Germany in December. Better than an American one. And with a very sizeable side salad that didn't taste like it had been in a fridge for four days.

Don't make me quote the entire movie.....

jakeman

I can get on board with the cigarette thing, but alcohol is very similar to the gun thing. It's all about responsible use. Unlike cigarettes, moderate alcohol consumption (a couple of beers a week) won't kill you like moderate cigarette smoking (a couple of packs a week).

I'll tackle this. Since it really is only quasi political.

There is a deep rooted culture of alcohol glorification in this country that needs a paradigm shift. It doesn't help that the top is fully on board. What did Obama bet on for the Olympic hockey games against Canada? A case of beer. There isn't a government function where more money isn't spent on booze than food.

Although neither candidate was ever going to become The Next Great President, I found it very refreshing that Mitt was willing to at least subtly address the alcohol obsession in our country during his campaign by trying to bend the culture a bit.

The fact that drinking is a right of passage in our country really gets to the heart of what is wrong with our self absorbed, reality abandoning attitudes.

I am not saying it should be banned, but there is a deep underlying problem when citizens depend on it to either overcome their own personal shortcomings or define themselves.
While for the younger crowd the glorification is there, I'm not sure that holds true for most adults. I go to many functions where alcohol is an expected beverage, but people don't fall over themselves drunk by the end of the night. Overall, most forms of adult beverages taste good. Beer is fantastic and the craftsmanship that goes into some brews nowadays is phenomenal (except IPAs, those can burn in beer pergatory). Same with wines and whiskey's.

Bottom line, the younger crowd might get all excited to down a case of Milwaukee's Best (the Beast), but I don't see that same attitude permeate through adulthood.

Perhaps if the stigma of alcohol was reduced as some sort of mystical gated privilege for those in their 20's then it wouldn't be the rite it's become.

bhg469

You're absolutely correct and I cannot agree more! When a judge lets a kid slide on drunkenly killing several people because he was from an affluent family and he didn't know any better, something is horribly wrong. When guns are discussed on any news network there is so much false information its no wonder why simple minded people think they should all be banned.

Rosso11

Perhaps if the stigma of alcohol was reduced as some sort of mystical gated privilege for those in their 20's then it wouldn't be the rite it's become.

Some people think I'm crazy when I say this but it's the drinking age in this country that causes this. We do not let people drink until they are 21 years old in this country and that is what causes the extreme excess. I have spent a lot of time in other countries that have no drinking age and you do not see the abuse of alcohol there on the same level as you do in the USA. Parents actually teach their kids how to drink properly. It's part of their culture. They don't learn with a bunch of teenagers sneaking around binge drinking trying not to get caught. In this country if you give your teenagers a glass of wine with dinner some people think you should be locked up for bad parenting. Think about it, we teach kids how to drive before we teach them how to drink. To me that is crazy. Drinking takes time to learn how to do it responsibly. Alcohol affects everyone differently and it takes time to learn how it will affect you personally. I truly believe people should learn this before they are given the right to drive.

Stevek

A real conversation I had yesterday:

Me: "Y'know, for the what it costs to go on a WDW vacation and stay at the Poly, you could just take a trip to actual Hawaii."

Other guy: "Yeah, but Hawaii doesn't have Disney."

Me: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

We went to Hawaii last year but had no desire to spend to stay at Aulani and quite honestly, we wanted to experience something besides Disney for a change. We'll be back to Hawaii in a couple of years but won't stay at Aulani and will avoid Oahu altogether.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Some people think I'm crazy when I say this but it's the drinking age in this country that causes this. We do not let people drink until they are 21 years old in this country and that is what causes the extreme excess. I have spent a lot of time in other countries that have no drinking age and you do not see the abuse of alcohol there on the same level as you do in the USA. Parents actually teach their kids how to drink properly. It's part of their culture. They don't learn with a bunch of teenagers sneaking around binge drinking trying not to get caught. In this country if you give your teenagers a glass of wine with dinner some people think you should be locked up for bad parenting. Think about it, we teach kids how to drive before we teach them how to drink. To me that is crazy. Drinking takes time to learn how to do it responsibly. Alcohol affects everyone differently and it takes time to learn how it will affect you personally. I truly believe people should learn this before they are given the right to drive.

I agree completely, we treat alcholol like an illegal drug unless you are 21. The liquor laws in USA are way too restrictive, instead of teaching awareness and moderation we simply say NO which creates a drive in some children/teenagers to drink simply because it is forbidden. It should be handled when children are young and listen to their parents more than when they are on the cusp of adulthood/independance and much more vulnerable to overuse/abuse.

Stevek

Yes, so much better to stab you in the back as publicists live to do, especially ones who work for soul-sucking organizations such as Disney.

If you don't think that Jenn and Steven and Gary and Co were all cast for their on-stage roles, then you know nothing about the way PR works at that level.

How can anyone find fault with a lovely youngish blonde mama ... right?

My completely uneducated guess is that in person, she, like the others you mention are all perfectly nice people. Unfortunately they are looked down upon because of the "on-stage roles" that they've been hired to play.

CDavid

I agree completely, we treat alcholol like an illegal drug unless you are 21. The liquor laws in USA are way too restrictive, instead of teaching awareness and moderation we simply say NO which creates a drive in some children/teenagers to drink simply because it is forbidden. It should be handled when children are young and listen to their parents more than when they are on the cusp of adulthood/independance and much more vulnerable to overuse/abuse.

The liquor laws are restrictive for a reason. Parents can - and should - still teach responsibility if their children are going to drink as adults, just as they do (or are supposed to...) with many other decisions they will face as adults. You don't have to change any laws to teach awareness and responsibility.

alphac2005

You're absolutely correct and I cannot agree more! When a judge lets a kid slide on drunkenly killing several people because he was from an affluent family and he didn't know any better, something is horribly wrong. When guns are discussed on any news network there is so much false information its no wonder why simple minded people think they should all be banned.

There are plenty of falsehoods presented on all sides of these issues. Not every person against guns are because they see gun violence on the news. Many people at their core simply detest the existence of weapons. I'm one of those people, HOWEVER, I accept that the based upon the insertion of the Second Amendment and further rulings through centuries of the federal bench that there is the core right for a lawful individual to possess one.
So, it's not simple mindedness, some people simply are against weaponry, period, but many of us accept the aforementioned.

My example is of how things aren't cut and dry and everyone issue seems to devolve into that one with is us and one is against us and it isn't that simple.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
The liquor laws are restrictive for a reason. Parents can - and should - still teach responsibility if their children are going to drink as adults, just as they do (or are supposed to...) with many other decisions they will face as adults. You don't have to change any laws to teach awareness and responsibility.

The laws reflect the same trend you see across the board..

"Teens can't be trusted... so move the requirement to be older..."

You see this with the drinking age, with the driving rules, with smoking, etc etc etc. The solution in our society has been "take it away" instead of "improve responsibility". People have successfully lobbied the government to give young people LESS responsibility and in turn build even more dependent young adults (vs independent)... all in the face of trying to save them from evils.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom