The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Computer Magic

I always thought your style would be best suited to an internet column that might occasionally get picked up by other media when worthy. You just need to find someone to host your content. Your ideas are better expressed in essay form rather than chopped up in a forum or by flame wars.

I'd suggest you work with people like merf (photo essays) and EE (good cop to your bad cop) and maybe even someone like Eddie Sotto. You just need to find a site to host you. Project might even be the "intervention" you think EE needs. I even think it could make a profit. :greedy:

I only offer this sound advice because I know you have me on ignore and will never see it. Heh. :happy:

I might even read from time to time.

Go Duke! :cool:
Can't he read it if I quote you?

stevehousse

Tomorrow land side? I'd say there is enough room for an attraction back there. I could see them shoehorning at least a theater there. Space* is not MK's problem and never has been.

*area not the ride, although the ride has problems
Yes Tomorrowland side! Seeing as they are expanding the walkway behind there for congestion relief, it seems there's plenty of room back there for a dark ride...

(I still want my Mary Poppins ride damnit!)

Buried20KLeague

Spirited Saturday Musings:

Yet again I ask a question with no apparent sane answer: why do people EVER feel the need to defend a multi-billion dollar corporation? Where the hell does that mindset come from? Whether it is Disney, UNI, Apple, Boeing or Starbucks? Just why?

To my fanboi friends, and you know who you are, who are having issues in the finding love game, I'll offer this advice: Why take a ham sandwich to a buffet?

Too damn early for springing ahead. Way too early. In ancient days when I was a child, we didn't set the clocks ahead until the third Sunday IN APRIL!!! We do not live in an agrarian society.

Deb Wills is a classy lady. I respect her. Even if she was a lifestyler two decades ago ... she had/has a quality site that serves the community and people who just want help in planning Disney vacations. I've met her a few times and she is nice and genuine in person ... so, you know I am about to slam her, right? No, I am not. BUT ... Deb is visiting HKDL, TDR and Aulani now. And, yes, Tweeting about it. It's the first time in her life that she has been to these cities and yet all she is doing, apparently, is visiting the Disney sites. I find that insane. How someone could go all the way to HK, just to see HKDL while staying at a Disney hotel ... and then fly out to Tokyo and do the same.

I just don't get that mindset at all. I suppose it's akin to if when I had gone to Germany, if I had dined only at McD's, BK, Subway, KFC and Starbucks. How do you visit amazing cities and simply go to Disney parks? BTW, did @Buried20KLeague leave for TDR himself yet? If you haven't, then I wish you a great trip and look forward to hearing about it.

So, do we have a breathless thread about the MK's new parade? Did it perform today? Are all the Lifestylers out at the park 'just in case'?

Jimmy Fallon is a funny talented guy. But he sure doesn't appear to be 11:30 p.m. material. Yep, all you Jay-bashers, it isn't as easy as it looks.

No, I am not thrilled with all that OMG!!!! merchandise Disney is putting out in the new 'Co-Op' store at DD. I don't need constant in my face reminders that Disney also realizes WDW used to be a whole lot better too!

Very much looking forward to the return of the Gay Lost as well as the debut of Resurrection on ABC tomorrow.

We just arrived here at the Hilton Tokyo Bay about 90 minutes ago, my good man! Thanks for asking.

Nothing like being able to stand in your skivvies at your hotel room window and watch Promethius erupt!! (Behave, you...)

8 days of park overdose and 5 days sightseeing in Tokyo. La vida es buena! :)

Last edited:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I just don't get that mindset at all. I suppose it's akin to if when I had gone to Germany, if I had dined only at McD's, BK, Subway, KFC and Starbucks. .

To be fair in my experience it is the normal modus operandi for the few hundred of you that have passports.

Its a bit like UK citizens seeking down Irish pubs across the world for an adult beverage. Except in this case the owner probably hates Brits.

Goofyernmost

Awful and presenting a distorted view of the speed of the verification light. About 5 or 6 seconds faster than reality per guest.
Really? It was instantly when I used it. Maybe I went to a different WDW or knew how to line up with the reader. Anybody's guess!

Goofyernmost

I will say, though, it really shouldn't be in the commercial. If anything, focus on the planning benefits, not a mickey lighting up.
Before you introduce the difficult stuff, you have to find a way to have those that have to do that, feel it's worth it. Looks like fun, all bright and shiny. It is cool, but, certainly nothing more the a more high tech entry system. But, it's new and if people like it they will be more inclined to overlook the mega planning that is now necessary to visit WDW.

Contrary to popular belief, there are times that Disney knows exactly what they are doing. We just have trouble seeing it or something as simple as not knowing why they do something. Now you have an opinion of why.

wogwog

Really? It was instantly when I used it. Maybe I went to a different WDW or knew how to line up with the reader. Anybody's guess!
Not the guest or the reader. The system. Slow then OK then slow again. Entire system crashes periodically still for extended time. Was totally down a few days ago for several hours. A clue would be Disney is still calling it a test even in ads after15 months.

lebeau

As much as I like Fallon, what NBC is trying to do with the celebrity guests is appalling! I think he is gonna have a hard time trying to book celebrities going here on out as NBC wants to block celebrities from going to any other late night shows if u appear on Fallon!

Jay was infamous for doing exactly that.

lebeau

Not the guest or the reader. The system. Slow then OK then slow again. Entire system crashes periodically still for extended time. Was totally down a few days ago for several hours. A clue would be Disney is still calling it a test even in ads after15 months.

I am gobsmacked that they are touting this in the ads like it's a selling point. Only Disney would sell "We still haven't worked all the bugs out yet" as a customer benefit. Mickey's balls are enormous!

tribbleorlfl

Not an exaggeration. Time it the next time you visit if they have not figured out how to fix it by then. This time estimate from a Park Support cast who times several locations each day as part of his duties. I am local and have never used the less than Magic Band but I accept the estimate. The attraction kiosks are slower than the entry pods. Unfortunate and sad for the guests.
Took us 2 seconds to read green on Soarin around 3 yesterday.

ParentsOf4

OK. We know that. How would you fix it?
I'll let you know how I'd fix WDW as soon as Disney writes the check for my consulting fees. :D

Seriously though, it's a complex problem created through a series of managerial decisions based on relatively short-term thinking with long-term consequences. Fixing WDW's problems requires breaking the cycle of what effectively is self-destructive behavior.

Today's Disney management might think last year's 15.8% gross margin was pretty good whereas an earlier generation would have considered it a financial failure. Yet Disney still handed out hundreds of millions in stock options and bonuses to its executive staff.

Even if I were to compose what would turn into a long-winded dissertation, today's corporate Disney lacks the will and Wall Street lacks the patience to implement it.

Last edited:

Nubs70

Netflix is publicly traded, and this is their company's core policy:

http://www.slideshare.net/reed2001/culture-1798664

Can you imagine what Disney could accomplish if it wasn't such a toxic, soul-killing work environment?
There is a difference between Netflix and WDW in that WDW is a mature enterprise where as Netflix is an emerging enterprise. Priority one for WDW is to rapidly terminate the toxic, soul killing environment. Can this be done while still being publicly traded? I do not know. Maybe this could be a project for the likes of Carl Icahn.

GiveMeTheMusic

There is a difference between Netflix and WDW in that WDW is a mature enterprise where as Netflix is an emerging enterprise. Priority one for WDW is to rapidly terminate the toxic, soul killing environment. Can this be done while still being publicly traded? I do not know. Maybe this could be a project for the likes of Carl Icahn.

It could be done, but there might be short-tem stock price repercussions, to which I would say, who gives a ****. If WDPR is to survive, it must be changed out from top to bottom and the culture has to be replaced with a productive one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom