The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
All the more reason for not bringing it here. Let's retire 'Fun with Tweets' and leave tweets to Twitter. As you say, some of those on Twitter are desperate for the attention and I don't think we need to give them more of that on this forum.

Steve, I have already stated that Fun With Tweets isn't worth my time. That doesn't mean, however, that if I see something I feel will be of interest to the community that I won't bring it here. I'm not really looking to give the truly crazies more attention, obviously.

Why would I want to bring attention to anyone but myself, after all?:D

That said, Disney has spent years now cultivating the FB and Twitter crowds at the expense of sites such as this one. Look at my old online 'home' LP.com or Micechat and watch the tumbleweeds pass to see how once vibrant communities have lost their voices because of these social networking sites. I'm sure you likely think it won't happen here, but it certainly can. Doobie and Al didn't see it coming, but it bit them both. Again, many of the Tweeters out there once were active here, but have chosen the 'safety' of the Twitverse over open communication here.

Even here, it seems that far fewer people are taking part of late. Certainly when I look at threads, it seems like (on this board anyway, and it is the central one) the vast majority of threads are small news bits that are started by you.

Is it a case of them being disengaged, less engaged or simply following the Disney propaganda model that sends them to the Twitverse (and to FB as well!)

alissafalco

Disney must have very successfully sealed all their leaks seeing what all the various Disney message boards have devolved into. All I see in this thread is a bunch of nonsense. What happened to all the leaks? Seems like the only one with any real information worthy of discussion is Universal leaker hatetofly
Maybe nothing is going on for anything to be leaked???

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm all for fun, which is why I let so much more go here than I really should. But there are times when I feel it is best for our community to put the brakes on things before they spiral out of control. In my experience over the years, as soon as you bring in an outside community, be that another forum, or now in this case Twitter - it causes lots of unnecessary drama.

Drama?!?!?! In the Disney fan community?!??!!?

NEVER!!!

Seriously, I respect the position you are in. And I don't look to make your life more difficult. That said, I only know one way to post: blunt, honest and from the heart. And I realize that when I post, I'm being read by folks with all sorts of backgrounds, intelligence levels, psychological makeups and ... agendas of their own.

I felt I was doing you and the rest of the mods here a favor when I decided to largely post in one thread at a time, feeling that folks know what they're going to get with me and if my personality and writing voice just bothers them so much, well, they could do what adults should be capable of and not even read here. That has been met with mixed results, although it is pretty obvious that folks gravitate here and it isn't simply because of my charm and good looks (no matter what the fanbois say!!!)

Anyway, I'll try and keep the drama down to a minimum, but we know that there will be some ... I'm also looking at options for other platforms to get my voice out (no, no blogs, people ... EVER ... unless you want to each pay me $200 per week!) where I don't have to go back and forth with folks to the extent I do here. I like the community here and the people here ... but I also like not having to concern myself with people being worried about my content too. I know what I bring to the table and I know it is very unique in the fan community. So, we'll see what develops.

WDW1974

Original Poster
CNN's domestic revenue continues to fall, which has been a major profit center for Time-Warner for many years, while CNN International has improved, it simply doesn't generate the same numbers as the domestic. Time-Warner has been looking at a CNN spinoff company and public offering for the past several years and the last I heard it might occur this year. The spinoff isn't a sign of health at CNN, rather being done for tax advantage attractiveness amongst other things.

CNN had revenue above where they should have for many years now as the premium that they charged for was based on their past ratings performance, sky high brand identity, and audience demographics. That ranged from the subscriber carriage fee by the cable/sat providers to advertisers. CNN no longer has that ability and it's one of the issues of the fallen ratings.

I have several friends working for them and CNN/Turner continues to be an excellent place of employment (minus the working them to death), but there are many, many issues within CNN. CNN is no profit center like the ESPN properties my friend, not even anywhere close.

CNN is a disaster right now. And Jeff Zucker is absolutely not the guy capable of righting the ship.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm just shocked by those who say "I already have 7 magicbands" or so number... wth it's not even been a year right?
I know lots of people around me still visiting Disney all the time... but I'm talking like once every few years or once a year. So when you aggregate across my view.. I see people going all the time. But individuals going THAT frequently in resorts?? No wonder Disney can charge these crazy prices.

Many are getting multiples with no rhyme or reason ... and who cares, right? Not like they cost $5 or so apiece.

WDW1974

Original Poster
His internet persona is similar to his in-person persona, and that's all I'll say about that. However, I seriously think he and I would be great friends if he would stop periodically blocking me and allow me to talk to him in person. He's not a bad dude... I think. But yes, he does have some great perspective!

I don't know. I think sometimes he (much like Tommy Boi) enjoys being disliked. I have reached out to him multiple times. I'd like to see him back here, but the same could be said of many folks who have gone off to the Twitverse ... like my little buddy @EPCOT Explorer who Tweets 25 hours a day (I seriously think he needs an intervention!)

I think what has happened with social media is that folks now simply gravitate to people they share world and World views with. It's like a rightwing nutjob getting all of his 'news' from FOX or a leftwing nutjob getting all of his 'news' from MSNBC. At the end of the day, all you get is noise that reaffirms that whatever you think is the correct, just and only way of viewing something.

Here we often get heated because we don't all agree on much of anything. But it's actually a much healthier and realistic way of viewing things.

I may be right far more than I am wrong, but I am willing to listen to any opinion that is sane.

I might be crazy, but I'd love to see all those Lifestylers posting here and talking about WDW here. But I know it will never happen.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Everything is overpriced to somebody. I think a Mercedes is overpriced, others find the value someplace.

They aren't. When I see folks paying more for Chevys and Fords and Toyotas, I think they are insane.

Let's see: C-Class or Impala ... that is like saying: DLR or the local church carnival in the parking lot. Truly!!!

lebeau

Even here, it seems that far fewer people are taking part of late. Certainly when I look at threads, it seems like (on this board anyway, and it is the central one) the vast majority of threads are small news bits that are started by you.

Is it a case of them being disengaged, less engaged or simply following the Disney propaganda model that sends them to the Twitverse (and to FB as well!)

Personally, it's lack of interest. Disney isn't doing anything interesting these days. So there is nothing to talk about. Eventually, all that's left to do is wind up the trolls and watch them prattle on.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree

AFAIK, Lucasfilms still exists as does Marvel. The first Marvel movie under the Disney banner was The Avengers and while it was distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it held the production studio name of Marvel Studios. It would be definitely safe to assume that Star Wars EP 7 will retain Lucasfilm as well.

Actually, Paramount Pictures logo was at the start of Avengers (in addition to Marvel) as they were the original distributor and paid off by Iger to let Disney distribute the tentpole ... the only way you'd know that was if you stayed to the very last line of the credits where it said: Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My issue with twitter is the fact that it gives instant news whether or not it has been fact checked. (Same goes for Reddit but that's another topic.) The fact that news sites are going to a pay format online has coincided with twitters instant info. I myself like the old fashion delivered paper but I may be one of the few.

there is no responsibility ... none ... when people put 'news' out on Twitter ... and when folks in real news pick up Tweets and, with no fact-checking, place them out to the masses. It is all a giant dumbing down of society and it is quite dangerous when you are talking about events from possible terror attacks to plane crashes to Justin Bieber's lastest brush with the law and your source for info is Twitter.

It is the real world definition of 'rumour mill' ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Major news networks are completely unreliable when it comes to breaking news. Only print media seems to be accountable these days.

They are unreliable for two reasons:
1.) They have had their staffs slashed and have half the resources they did a decade ago;
2.) They have started to rely on 'social media' (i.e. Twitter) as gospel during major events when it is the exact opposite of reliable.

And print has fallen greatly as well.

Look at the AP story that was placed in the WSJ last night for Boeing as soon as the 777-200 went missing off Thailand. Pure PR to make sure that Boeing didn't suffer for having one of its jets go down.

StageFrenzy

They are unreliable for two reasons:
1.) They have had their staffs slashed and have half the resources they did a decade ago;
2.) They have started to rely on 'social media' (i.e. Twitter) as gospel during major events when it is the exact opposite of reliable.

And print has fallen greatly as well.

Look at the AP story that was placed in the WSJ last night for Boeing as soon as the 777-200 went missing off Thailand. Pure PR to make sure that Boeing didn't suffer for having one of its jets go down.

It seemed like cnn didn't want to report about the flight last night because it interrupted their regularly scheduled programs. I do enjoy Anthony Bourdain's show though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That said, Disney has spent years now cultivating the FB and Twitter crowds at the expense of sites such as this one. Look at my old online 'home' LP.com or Micechat and watch the tumbleweeds pass to see how once vibrant communities have lost their voices because of these social networking sites

I don't see the social networking as a reason for the decline in those sites EXCEPT in the aspect of 'stale technology'. Sites like LP.com were dinosaurs and the format just isn't tolerated by the next wave of users. vBulletin grew long in the teeth and didn't have the capabilities like great mobile apps, live notifications, etc that the new alternatives like twitter, FB, etc have. So the new alternatives had a technical edge that offered attractive things. That put the 'old' sites behind the eightball as the next wave of users came into being (every site has 'generations' of users that start and die...)

LP especially was antiquated... Micechat took the plunge with vB4.0, a move wdwmagic WISELY declined and instead pivoted with great success. Micechat has yet to abandon that dead duck... but I wonder if they care as much anymore because (IMO) the discussion forums really aren't their main focus anymore. They put all their chips on becoming this home of web articles instead of an online community. They put all their promotion and leads into their Wordpress site. They don't even post that their articles are available in the forums anymore! The core group RARELY posts in the forums. Everything for them now is the blog articles and comments. They've basically changed their focus to becoming a site... much more like a insidethemagic. Trying to create a steady stream of content to attract EYEBALLS and less concerned with building a community.

The other reason these people retreat to places like twitter, etc is because they don't have to operate under scrutiny of a site owner or mods, they don't have to face critics of their content, they can basically blow their horn as much as they want and selectively decide what responses they want to listen to. It promotes the building of cliques and selective acknowledgement.

So what I'm trying to say is... I don't agree with your theory that social media (and Disney's engagement) is necessarily behind the demise of those classic communities... but more about missing the necessity of keeping current with user's expectations of technology holding them back, pivots in focus, and the 'freedom' from oversight that the new platforms give people.

Think about how big these twitter circles you are focusing on really are... a few dozen people each? Sure there are multiple circles of people that overlap.. but they really don't converge into one single community. Contrast that with something like Micechat who at their peak could pull 100+ people together for a MICECHAT thing.. not even specifically Disney. Disney twits are just people who all use twitter to talk about Disney... they aren't a online community like Micechat, LP, or wdwmagic.

For micechat in particular (IMO).. the idea of a 'popular website with news' verse 'a popular hangout to share ideas and conversation' was a business decision they will look back on years from now and realize that was the turning point. Not when they had to acknowledge Al was no longer a factor.. but when they abandoned being a social exchange and instead tried to be a content provider.

Again, many of the Tweeters out there once were active here, but have chosen the 'safety' of the Twitverse over open communication here.

That's a huge part of it... they feel they are in control vs playing in someone else's house.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney must have very successfully sealed all their leaks seeing what all the various Disney message boards have devolved into. All I see in this thread is a bunch of nonsense. What happened to all the leaks? Seems like the only one with any real information worthy of discussion is Universal leaker hatetofly

Neo, you've become quite the Negative Ninny of late. ... Would you like me, or others, to make stuff up for you? There's not much going on stateside, in large part due to NGE.

And I don't want to disparage @HTF in any way, but I haven't seen him pouring out all sorts of heretoforth unknown information of late. He was the one who broke the Kong return. And he gets credit for that. But he did that quite a while ago. ... Has he announced something else that hasn't already been out there?

I still recall all the UNI animosity I got when I said Amity was going and Potter was coming to a second park.

But, seriously, I don't see any point to your post whatsoever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom