The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Cesar R M

Oh FFS.... its a **** theme park.

If Epcot was curing cancer, I might care more about this. Instead its a 2nd rate dark ride that is in dire need of repair as it is. Its short, has no story and a grand total of four scenes.

Righteous indignation aside, I'm done caring. People are selfish. They only want the parks in their own image.

And fwiw World Showcase Players, one of the original shows at Epcot, closes on Thursday 9/25.
they clearly need someone to pay the frozen change.. thus they cut down more entertainment players. lol

BrianLo

Actually, I don't mind it going into TDS (and it likely is).
From what I here it will make for a spectacular port, and make the Maelstrom makeover look like the cheap, rush job that it is.
($75ish million compared to an estimated $450-500mil from OLC. Discuss.)

Wow, sounds like a stellar project if it's caused you to change your opinion so drastically. Colour me very optimistic!

For Reference:

BrianLo" said:
So here's a general question: when Frozen makes its inevitable debut in Tokyo, will folks be furious, indifferent or generally happy if it takes over the expansion plot in TDS (beside Indy)? Obviously assuming it lives up to general TDS quality/sizeable investment.

The Port of Arendelle isn't much of a stretch from the original Glacier Bay long-term plans for the site after all...

I'm just wondering if folks are going to scream bloody murder if it doesn't wind up in Fantasyland.

Frozen in TDS is a terrible idea. It belongs in Fantasyland, a studio park or nowhere.

Which is more terrible, TDS or EPCOT?

Hmmmm.....gonna have to call that one a draw.

I haven't seen Frozen, and have no plans to, but I really am unaware of any connection to the earth's seas or oceans.
Granted, TDS sometimes plays a bit loose with it's theme (though I think Mermaid fits) but that's no reason to throw fuel on the fire.

Fantasyland exists for a reason.

lazyboy97o

How much caring will it take to change the situation in a meaningful way?

Toad had organized protests, a marketing campaign and media attention long before social media and the wide-spread adoption of the internet. Disney still closed the ride anyway.

What makes the Maelstrom situation different?
My caring has to do with my view of themed entertainment, not whether or not it makes the news or changes Disney's plans.

BrerJon

I joked a while ago that the next move would be to turn Japan into San Fransokyo, but I can actually see that happening now. If they kept the Japan pavilion as it is, but *added* a Big Hero 6 ride in the empty show building, I wouldn't mind. Why? Because cartoons, characters and robots are an integral part of Japanese culture, so it wouldn't feel as shoehorned as Frozen does.

Stevek

There's another ride in the back of that pic too, a copy of Jumpin' Jellyfish, from DCA's Paradise Pier. Also a Mermaid stage show, and a gift shop inside a giant whale. Plus a fourth spinner, Scuttle's Scooters that is outside the building along the canal, as seen in the photo shown above. And a version of Gadget's Go Coaster themed to Mermaid, cloned from Toontown.

Tokyo Disney Resort doesn't have the Omnimover Mermaid ride that DCA and MK have. Instead it has this indoor/outdoor land with five small carnival rides collected from various American parks. Themed to "Under The Sea".

What's interesting it that all of those rides, Jellyfish, Lady Bug Boogie, Fliks Flyers...all things that Disney was railed on when they introduced in DCA but I think they get a bit of a pass at TDS because of the theming. I've never visited TDS but have seen plenty of video and to my eyes, this may be the weakest section of the park...as far at the rides go. The pavillion and the show look very good though. Of course, I also think Aquatopia looks kinda cheesy too so that may be a strike against me in some peoples books ; )

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
What's interesting it that all of those rides, Jellyfish, Lady Bug Boogie, Fliks Flyers...all things that Disney was railed on when they introduced in DCA but I think they get a bit of a pass at TDS because of the theming. I've never visited TDS but have seen plenty of video and to my eyes, this may be the weakest section of the park...as far at the rides go. The pavillion and the show look very good though. Of course, I also think Aquatopia looks kinda cheesy too so that may be a strike against me in some peoples books ; )
The LM rides at Tokyo serve the same purpose as Bug's Land at DCA -- rides for the kids in a nicely themed area. In addition, the indoor area is a plus, as weather in Tokyo can be rainy quite a bit, and having a huge (and it is huge) indoor area with a few rides, a show, a big QS restaurant and a big store at least gives people a place to stay dry for a bit.

The show is excellent. Otherwise, it is a weak section of the park (for all but little kids). I don't know that TDS gets a pass for it or that DCA deserves ridicule for Bug's Land. In both cases, the land in question fills a need (things for kids in a park with little else for them) with good theming. Both are cheaply done, but still better done then kid's areas in non-Disney parks.

lazyboy97o

The LM rides at Tokyo serve the same purpose as Bug's Land at DCA -- rides for the kids in a nicely themed area. In addition, the indoor area is a plus, as weather in Tokyo can be rainy quite a bit, and having a huge (and it is huge) indoor area with a few rides, a show, a big QS restaurant and a big store at least gives people a place to stay dry for a bit.

The show is excellent. Otherwise, it is a weak section of the park (for all but little kids). I don't know that TDS gets a pass for it or that DCA deserves ridicule for Bug's Land. In both cases, the land in question fills a need (things for kids in a park with little else for them) with good theming. Both are cheaply done, but still better done then kid's areas in non-Disney parks.
I would say Mermaid Lagoon is not knocked as much because the rest of Tokyo DisneySEA offers up such a compelling balance. There is also a vision behind the decisions that shows. A Bug's Land was of a much different origin, instead being something Disney tossed in to try and fix a park whose flaws they could not understand.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I would say Mermaid Lagoon is not knocked as much because the rest of Tokyo DisneySEA offers up such a compelling balance. There is also a vision behind the decisions that shows. A Bug's Land was of a much different origin, instead being something Disney tossed in to try and fix a park whose flaws they could not understand.
True that Bug's Land was of a much different origin, in that was added after the fact, but I actually thought it showed an understanding of one of the flaws of the park. Of course, DCA had many flaws when it opened, and Bug's Land was the cheapest fix available to any of the flaws, so naturally, it came first. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Luigi's Disaster were, to me, further attempts to fix the same flaw, within a more expensive fix. Now DCA does have plenty for kids and families to do together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom