The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

RSoxNo1

If only the rush for Frozen was an actual quality attraction. If this actually goes through and no one gets some sense knocked into them it will just be another one of the brain dead idiotic things WDW has done with Epcot. Btw, after seeing your post about it I finally got caught up with Cosmos. Amazing show. If no one at Disney sees the potential for Future World then I have officially lost all hope.
Hold on a minute. We have absolutely no basis to determine the quality of any Frozen attraction replacing Maelstrom. The attraction itself very well may be excellent, it's the placement that people are justifiably questioning.

RSoxNo1

Which is why it's the least attended and least popular, no doubt. ;)

Still, you're right about Walt's love of animals. Maybe he'd look at AK as a great big fat version of Jungle Cruise. (He originally wanted to use live animals in that ride, as you probably know). But I bet he wouldn't have cut the budget for Beastly Kingdomme or let the Yeti stay broken. Or stuck a dippy movie like Avatar in the park. He'd have wanted his company to come up with something original or use a Disney creation in that area. So yeah, Walt loved animals, he might have loved the idea of AK, but he might not have entirely liked the final product.
It has outdrawn DHS and DCA since 2010.

coolbeans14

According to bleeding cool marvel has really had about enough of fox, apparently the plan is to hold the fantastic four property and not a release anything new for those character, as well as put a hold on any re release and digital release of the comics. Supposedly according to bleeding cool they wanna suck the fanbase dry until the films eventually crash so that fox has no choice.

I'd heard from somewhere else this, although to be honest how important are the comics going to be in getting people to see a new fantastic four. The biggest problem will be people remembering the last fantastic four movie:hungover:

alphac2005

They tried to get Walt for this one, but they forgot to take him out of the freezer in time to shoot the ad.

That is why all this criticism about the new commercial is just a bunch of garbage. Everyone is different and sees things differently. For example, that ad generated for Japan is so far away from any realistic Disney image that it would be laughable if it wasn't such a depressing ad. The majority is telling a story about a woman that married an ice cube. She longed for the closeness and warmth that according to the film, never existed. Then all of a sudden he see fireworks and is cured and they all live happily ever after. Really? That somehow is believable, but someone using sunglasses and looking like they are about to have some fun, in the present, isn't?

I am old and I do not really make any effort to keep up with what is cool or what is current, but, I did have the occasion to witness a wedding this past weekend. I watched as the wedding party (very large, btw, with 28 in the party) were having pictures taken. The photographer had to keep telling members to take off their sunglasses for the pictures. It was a sunny day, but, the pictures were being taken in a beautifully shaded area. No direct sunlight. As they left the church after the ceremony, it was like watching a synchronized swim meet. They came out, again in a shaded area, at 7:45 in the evening, and as they cleared the door, the sunglasses were put on immediately.

If the intent of the ad was to get the message across that it would be cool and fun to go on the Mine Train as a family, well it worked, like it or not. That is the message that I saw. If the intent was that it was not just a kiddie coaster, that message got there as well. So, then one has to ask, what was it supposed to be? It was promoting a specific attraction, not the general park and the multitude of emotions that they might be able to play off of, if that were the case. There is a time and a use for heart tugging ads, which, btw, are far more exploitative then this ad, this was not one of those times.

I think the most important takeaway with the spot is that not matter what you think of the content, the fact that they are showcasing an attraction that in the past would have been "another" attraction and not a centerpiece E-Ticket is the most telling piece of all about the state of affairs in Orlando.

Goofyernmost

I think the most important takeaway with the spot is that not matter what you think of the content, the fact that they are showcasing an attraction that in the past would have been "another" attraction and not a centerpiece E-Ticket is the most telling piece of all about the state of affairs in Orlando.
I'm not sure that is true. It may be on an individual basis, but, the fact that "E" ticket designation has gone the way of the Model A, almost two complete generations ago, it has no basis of reality. To some it is an "E" ticket to others a fail. It really doesn't matter because it's a manifestation of our own imagination and opinion. Always remember that Small World, The Tiki Room, Country Bears and many docile others were once "officially" categorized as "E's". You can't even go back in history and make a determination of what should be an "E". If you did, the Mine Train would be miles above most of them.

It's time to stop this silly ranking. It's meaningless! If you like it, ride it, if you don't, then do something else. This appears to be a notch or two above anything they have done in recent years. It is certainly worthy, in the context of today's world, to promote it as a big deal.

tahqa

Wow, I did not know this.

thanks for clarifying!.

What would be a "foreign port" for the other side be?
Acapulco? or even lower?

I believe it has to be a South American port, maybe just Central American, but definitely not Mexican. Even when going through the Panama Canal the cruise ships will usually stop at an ABC island or one of the northern South American countries.

tahqa

rael ramone

Hold on a minute. We have absolutely no basis to determine the quality of any Frozen attraction replacing Maelstrom. The attraction itself very well may be excellent, it's the placement that people are justifiably questioning.

Based on what they've done in the past, repurposing attractions tends to provide a cheaper to run, dumbed down attraction in it's place. The fact that it's been reported that they want to do it 'fast' (TDO fast, not UNI fast) suggests that the standards we should expect to see from it should be lowered even further. I dont think the care they seemed to take with the FOTLK relocation will necessarily be repeated here.

Last edited:

dadddio

You are sharp to notice the attire. Anyone who has been to Tokyo knows they dress to impress there, including a day at Disneyland. Dressing nicely is a sign of respect to both yourself and your hosts, although the Americans schlepping through life in XXL basketball shorts and flip-flops would tell you that's old fashioned and uptight (unless you've never left America in your life and think a date night at a Darden Corporation restaurant is really living).

Yes, the woman a half-step behind the man (admittedly in a sepia-toned retro remembrance of 50 years ago) is a very traditional Japanese view of gender roles. But I'm sure people can value the diversity of other cultures when they see that. Notice that the young couples in the video are 21st century equals, however.

Anyone who has ever been to Tokyo Disneyland knows how perfectly typical this video is, and yet what a shocking reminder of how low the standards for Disney theme parks in America have fallen. On both coasts.
I have different memories of TDL.

Sure, there were some people who were dressed up; perhaps 5-10% of the guests, I guess. (One wonders how they are going to do a day in a hot, crowded theme park in those shoes.) The rest of the guests were dressed quite casually.

Beyond that, my memories of the guests were as follows:
  • People are rude. A trip to TDL is a day where people bump into you all day pretty much nonstop without every recognizing the fact. If you crash onto someone, acknowledge it.
  • People are rude. Umbrellas in crowded theme parks are not good ideas, but if you are going to try to use one, mind other people's heads. If you hit someone with your umbrella, acknowledge it.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Soarin' Over Pgh

If only the rush for Frozen was an actual quality attraction. If this actually goes through and no one gets some sense knocked into them it will just be another one of the brain dead idiotic things WDW has done with Epcot. Btw, after seeing your post about it I finally got caught up with Cosmos. Amazing show. If no one at Disney sees the potential for Future World then I have officially lost all hope.

Funny you posted that. Just last night we were catching up on Cosmos (my god, I love that show) and the roomie commented on "wouldn't it be cool if there was a theme park based on, you know, science-y stuff?" After my eyes got done rolling around in my head, I thought of FW. What a perfect fit.

CDavid

I'm not sure that is true. It may be on an individual basis, but, the fact that "E" ticket designation has gone the way of the Model A, almost two complete generations ago, it has no basis of reality. To some it is an "E" ticket to others a fail. It really doesn't matter because it's a manifestation of our own imagination and opinion. Always remember that Small World, The Tiki Room, Country Bears and many docile others were once "officially" categorized as "E's". You can't even go back in history and make a determination of what should be an "E". If you did, the Mine Train would be miles above most of them.

It's time to stop this silly ranking. It's meaningless! If you like it, ride it, if you don't, then do something else. This appears to be a notch or two above anything they have done in recent years. It is certainly worthy, in the context of today's world, to promote it as a big deal.

We need some type of classification system for park attractions which isn't completely arbitrary and isn't based largely on personal opinion. The orginal "A-E" ticket system works as well as anything, even though we do not know exactly what ticket would have been applied to a given attraction. Something is not an "E" ticket just because we don't like it, but rather an attraction should get such a rating based on the scale and depth of the experience (and not extent of physical thrills). We may argue the difference between a "D" (SDMT) and an "E" (Kilimanjaro Safaris) but the point remains these are greater experiences than an "A" ticket Main Street Trolley.

You cannot objectively compare attractions based on opinion or popularity. Perhaps a few small children would prefer a Dumbo style spinner in place of the Soarin' type ride in Avatar Land, but they would hardly be comparable experiences.

Hobnail Boot

I have different memories of TDL.

Sure, there were some people who were dressed up; perhaps 5-10% of the guests, I guess. (One wonders how they are going to do a day in a hot, crowded theme park in those shoes.) The rest of the guests were dressed quite casually.

Beyond that, my memories of the guests were as follows:
  • People are rude. A trip to TDL is a day where people bump into you all day pretty much nonstop without every recognizing the fact. If you crash onto someone, acknowledge it.
  • People are rude. Umbrellas in crowded theme parks are not good ideas, but if you are going to try to use one, mind other people's heads. If you hit someone with your umbrella, acknowledge it.
I've never been to TDL or Japan, but my understanding is the lack of and invasion of personal space is a cultural thing, not a rude thing. You've got over 100 million people packed into that island chain so personal space is limited. I've seen movies and pictures of Tokyo where the sidewalks are just oceans of people walking on top of each other. So while it may seem rude to us, it's completely normal to them.

Umbrellas I have no idea about.

tamotu99

Walt liked animals.

His nephew said many times that his uncle would have loved the park.

It is WDW's best park in many ways today.

Couldn't agree more.

And every time someone says its only a half day park, i just feel sorry that they clearly miss out on a lot that park has to offer, because it is not a half day, it has some of the very best detail and theming of any Florida park and the lands also flow together very nicely it isnt such a jarring change as in some other places

That doesnt mean i am opposed to them adding more the park, to make it a multi day park :D

Goofyernmost

We need some type of classification system for park attractions which isn't completely arbitrary and isn't based largely on personal opinion. The orginal "A-E" ticket system works as well as anything, even though we do not know exactly what ticket would have been applied to a given attraction. Something is not an "E" ticket just because we don't like it, but rather an attraction should get such a rating based on the scale and depth of the experience (and not extent of physical thrills). We may argue the difference between a "D" (SDMT) and an "E" (Kilimanjaro Safaris) but the point remains these are greater experiences than an "A" ticket Main Street Trolley.

You cannot objectively compare attractions based on opinion or popularity. Perhaps a few small children would prefer a Dumbo style spinner in place of the Soarin' type ride in Avatar Land, but they would hardly be comparable experiences.
I almost agree totally. That's why I'm saying it is time to abandon the non-identifiable "E" ticket. Individuals are making the determination of what is an "E" right now. There is no official word from Disney and they are the only ones that can make an official determination.

What we should be looking at is does this appeal to us as individuals and not some arbitrary categorization in though the eyes of someone else. I think that is why Disney never came up with another system. There is only one way to evaluate any attraction and that is by participating, with an open mind, and then judging it by the affect that it has on us individually.

Some of the attractions are no brainers, individually. For example, to me, a high thrill roller-coaster would never be an "E" and I don't care how elaborate, expensive and themed it might be. It would always be an "F" to me. I hate them. I wouldn't pay extra to ride one as I wouldn't with Dumbo. It is an individual choice.

I always get a cringe when someone asks on a board, like this one, what should I skip. I found that many times, if you experience it, it is enjoyable and worthy of another ride, otherwise... it's a dud to me. Somethings like a roller-coaster or a spinner, I already know that I am not interested. Label it anything you want, it still will not gain my desire. We cannot tell others what they will like.

I think what bothers me the most is how we, as armchair engineers (or imagineers, if it makes us feel better) think that we can judge it. To me if there were anything that would constitute an "E" attraction it would be the degree of demand that the public gives it. Otherwise no letter in the world will make it successful.

JEANYLASER

pheneix you're right the boat ride is coming to Pandora: World of Avatar! Pheneix the boat ride is really coming and build it as we speak! :confused:!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom