The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

RSoxNo1

Based on what they've done in the past, repurposing attractions tends to provide a cheaper to run, dumbed down attraction in it's place. The fact that it's been reported that they want to do it 'fast' (TDO fast, not UNI fast) suggests that the standards we should expect to see from it should be lowered even further. I dont think the care they seemed to take with the FOTLK relocation will necessarily be repeated here.
You mean the relocation of the attraction that was meant to be temporary and was originally built in a theater for $250K? Yes, you're absolutely right, things done quickly/on the cheap/dumbed down isn't exactly inspiring. But there is very little we know about this project so I don't think the narrative being played out here is necessarily fair. The build time I've been told is 18 months. That's far more extensive than most rebuilds we've seen. We may wind up with Stitch's Great Escape, but we also may wind up with Toy Story Mania (which despite it's faults is a perfectly fine attraction and incredibly popular).
  • Star Tours (September 2010) to Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (May 2011)
  • Test Track (April 2012) to Test Track 2.0 (December 2012)
  • El Rio Del Tiempo (January 2007) to Gran Fiesta Tour (April 2007)
  • Alien Encounter (October 2003) to Stitch's Great Escape (November 2004)
  • Who Wants to be a Millionaire Play it (August 2006) to Toy Story Mania (May 2008)

stevehousse

You mean the relocation of the attraction that was meant to be temporary and was originally built in a theater for $250K? Yes, you're absolutely right, things done quickly/on the cheap/dumbed down isn't exactly inspiring. But there is very little we know about this project so I don't think the narrative being played out here is necessarily fair. The build time I've been told is 18 months. That's far more extensive than most rebuilds we've seen. We may wind up with Stitch's Great Escape, but we also may wind up with Toy Story Mania (which despite it's faults is a perfectly fine attraction and incredibly popular).
  • Star Tours (September 2010) to Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (May 2011)
  • Test Track (April 2012) to Test Track 2.0 (December 2012)
  • El Rio Del Tiempo (January 2007) to Gran Fiesta Tour (April 2007)
  • Alien Encounter (October 2003) to Stitch's Great Escape (November 2004)
  • Who Wants to be a Millionaire Play it (August 2006) to Toy Story Mania (May 2008)
I may be wrong but didn't who wants to be a millionaire get replaced with American Idol???

Nubs70

I equate an overlay to the "Porsche" a girl owned in my high school. The car looked hot as did the girl, but when you took a look under the hood (of the car), you quickly realized it was a kit car with a VW engine and chassis.

NearTheEars

Did Disney announce Gran Fiesta Tour as a cheap overlay? Did Disney announce the current version of Imagination is inferior to the original version? Doesn't change the fact that they are. Right now all we have to go on is info from insiders, and they're saying it's going to be cheap.

I sadly never got to experience those attractions in their original form. Blame my parents. They never took me to WDW. My first visit was in 2010, well into adulthood, and I actually enjoy both rides. I didn't know I was supposed to hate/skip them until I discovered this forum 2 years ago. Too late I guess.

I'll reserve my judgement until I get off the boat once it's open.

And as I found with SDMT, it's actually nice to head to a new attraction that's panned here before it opens (kiddie coaster, shortened track, Lackluster AAs) because you have really low expectations. And then you go and ride it, like I did Sunday and am just blown away.

spacemt354

Chili's
Did Disney announce Gran Fiesta Tour as a cheap overlay? Did Disney announce the current version of Imagination is inferior to the original version? Doesn't change the fact that they are. Right now all we have to go on is info from insiders, and they're saying it's going to be cheap.

What does cheap mean though I think is the question.

The definition of the term 'cheap' varies. It's mostly a negative connotation by the fan community describing something either a) is not what they want built b) is not how they want it built c) is a project that is shortened or subtracted in size from its initial layout for various reasons... that most assume to be financial..and sometimes d) to get a rise out of the Disney fan community as yet another example of management miscues.

But I think 'cheap' is a poor description of most Disney projects as of late considering they tend to overspend on most of them. The Little Mermaid cost more than the entire WWoHP expansion. But I'm not going to label WWoHP as cheap...even though it was technically "cheaper." It's a combination of spending and getting the most bang for your buck that makes a good business. If you're going to criticize Disney for something, it is most definitely the latter.

Are some projects/overlays seemingly cost effective? ie Space Mountain or Grand Fiesta Tour (which I actually enjoy)...yes, absolutely. But other projects have certainly not been 'cheap.' I think the bottom line that I'm trying to get at here is we are only going off rumors, so let's not jump to conclusions based on those rumors just yet.

Last edited:

Phil12

Even when Disney used their A-B-C-D-E coupon system in the parks, it was still a matter of personal opinion on which attractions one would want to choose. My mother never deemed the Enchanted Tiki Room worthy of a precious "E" -- there were just too many other "E" attractions to go on. And how could Storybook Land Canal Boats be considered to be in a higher category than Adventure Thru Inner Space??!!
Your mother was right. The Enchanted Tiki Room was designated as an "E" ticket because it was owned (personally) by Walt Disney himself and he collected all the income from that attraction. ATIS was a free ride sponsored by Monsanto and did not require any ticket. Same thing was always true for CoP. It was free and sponsored by GE and was an "infomercial" for their products including electricity and electrical appliances.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed, 110%. Great perspective. I witnessed all the hullaballoo on twitter yesterday and I'm still shaking my head, even at those I consider 'friends'. Sometimes we all need to take a step back... This is the reason I stayed out of it yesterday; my real-life day was more important than fighting with strangers about Ricky Brigante's princess fetish.

You made the smart choice (unlike what I just did my entering the union/wage negotiation thread!) ... I think people who have an issue with Ricky or his conduct should contact Crazy Gary, Dr. Blondie, Bland Tommy or Lovely Leanne (I would be glad to provide REAL contact info) and explain why you don't feel it is smart of Disney to credential him and treat him like ... well, a very special BRAND advocate.

Otherwise, leave him alone. Ganging up on him on the playground is just bad form all around. That's what the Twitverse and other Private forums are for.

He and his behavior are only an issue as far as Disney making him appear more important than he actually is.

Mike S

I sadly never got to experience those attractions in their original form. Blame my parents. They never took me to WDW. My first visit was in 2010, well into adulthood, and I actually enjoy both rides. I didn't know I was supposed to hate/skip them until I discovered this forum 2 years ago. Too late I guess.

I'll reserve my judgement until I get off the boat once it's open.

And as I found with SDMT, it's actually nice to head to a new attraction that's panned here before it opens (kiddie coaster, shortened track, Lackluster AAs) because you have really low expectations. And then you go and ride it, like I did Sunday and am just blown away.
I don't hate Gran Fiesta Tour but that doesn't mean I can't also think it's cheap. It's basically the same ride as what was there before but with different movies on the screens and i think two new screens. That's it. Also I am looking forward to my first ride on the Mine Train. It looks like a fun ride and the Dwarf animatronics look great to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom