The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

baymenxpac

this will probably be my only post on the sex offender topic, mostly because there has been so many things said on the matter, I don't want to be redundant, except to say this:

molestation could happen anywhere, but it's far more dangerous at a place like Disney, where families naturally put their guard down. I grew up on Long Island in a very nice neighborhood, and i was given far more independence on the boardwalk in WDW than I was around the corner of my house. Disney breeds a certain mindset and association with their brand. It makes sense for them from both a moral standpoint and a risk volatility standpoint to be more proactive because of the nature of their business. I really don't get how that's even a debatable statement.

also, many just don't understand how the news media works, and it infuriates me. Anderson cooper cannot just sensationalize a story for the heck of it. many of you have cynical views of the media landscape, and you should, but there have just been some gross mischaracterizations of how news gathering organizations operate, and it's frustrating to read.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have yet to comment on the whole CNN discussion here but I guess for me the question is... what good is discussing it on a Disney forum?
I'm all for not sweeping this under the rug but really, if people want to discuss the elephant in the room or really start change... is this the right platform?

If you can't discuss an international story about WDW on the No. 1 WDW-centric website's discussion boards, just what are we here for?

To cheer on everything Disney does? That's what the DPB and brand advocates like Lou Mongello are for.

No one is forcing you (or anyone) to discuss anything. Unless Steve is making everyone read this thread. If so, he can expect a demand for payment very soon!

Want to discuss it? Do it. Don't want to? Don't.

Just enough of the 'should we really be talking about this subject' because, frankly, there is no sane, unbiased reason for why this wouldn't be a major topic of discussion.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So I'm new here and could care less who doesn't like me, so is this thread about news and rumor at disney or the fact that child pervs exist.

If People want to talk about how to stop pedos in America they should try to find the how to stop pedos forums.

I know that 74 is a poster that brings
A lot of news and insight and he thinks this is important, and he is correct it is.

But this doesn't seem to be the place to discuss these issues as it is a global issue not a Disney one.

I'm new here and I may be wrong but I get the sense that this thread would have been more closely moderated if it wasn't for the person pushing the topic.

For a newbie you sure got some strong thoughts. I wouldn't come into someone's home and all over it because it isn't polite. You don't like the place ... why not head over to .......They once had some great discussion boards, but decided making Disney happy was more important than keeping a top community together. The site is all but dead and no one looks to them for anything.

That can happen quickly when you decide what legitimate topics can't be discussed because they make Disney or too many fans uncomfortable.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Yes, and Richard was a very smart, very charismatic leader. I met him first when he was CFO at Disney. He was such a cool character and quite down to earth. I later worked for him, until that company went south and left a lot of folks unpaid for their work. Even then, I still liked him. He personally assured me that I'd be paid even as the company was taken apart (early days of the dot.com insanity).

I don't doubt his talent in that position. Like you said, you just can't pick these people out of a lineup. To your point even if someone is a 'loner' and sort of creepy, you can't assume they are a pervert. For all we know you just wrote off one of the nicest people and innocent people around all because of a stereotype.

It's not an easy task to pick these people out. I can't fault Disney for having some on payroll but if it's rampant and NO effort is taken, that's an issue. The story you told earlier of a CM turning the other cheek to an inappropriate act is wrong.

I can't say I know the answer to this so I'll ask it truthfully... Does TWDC do enough to vet an employee and check in every so often to make sure they don't get embarrassed like this, put their customers in harms way and become liable?

Nemo14

For a newbie you sure got some strong thoughts. I wouldn't come into someone's home and **** all over it because it isn't polite. You don't like the place ... why not head over to LP.com? They once had some great discussion boards, but decided making Disney happy was more important than keeping a top community together. The site is all but dead and no one looks to them for anything.

That can happen quickly when you decide what legitimate topics can't be discussed because they make Disney or too many fans uncomfortable.

For the record, I questioned that poster's agenda earlier today, but my post was deleted. I assume this one will be too.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't doubt his talent in that position. Like you said, you just can't pick these people out of a lineup. To your point even if someone is a 'loner' and sort of creepy, you can't assume they are a pervert. For all we know you just wrote off one of the nicest people and innocent people around all because of a stereotype.

It's not an easy task to pick these people out. I can't fault Disney for having some on payroll but if it's rampant and NO effort is taken, that's an issue. The story you told earlier of a CM turning the other cheek to an inappropriate act is wrong.

I can't say I know the answer to this so I'll ask it truthfully... Does TWDC do enough to vet an employee and check in every so often to make sure they don't get embarrassed like this, put their customers in harms way and become liable?

My answer would simply be an 'I don't know' ... and that is why this is so important. They should be doing everything possible to ensure safety of children. Are they doing so? We don't know ... and, yes, they should be pushed for answers.

And that doesn't begin to go into the issues they have with fanbois and Imagineers and other creatives, which this story didn't touch on (yes, it was suggested strongly back in '13).

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
That was exactly my point, thanks.

I am not big on hypocrisy. ... If some idiot in the fan community puts something out to the ENTIRE WORLD, then why is that off-limits here. But on the PML, you can talk about why other members are poopy-heads?

Like I said, I'm more amused and entertained by most of it ... but it really seems to not be very just.

I really don't want to dwell on this topic, because it's just not that big of a deal, so I'll drop it after this. I guess I don't see a big difference in you posting something for the entire world (that reads this site) discussing someone based on a tweet, when that person may not even be aware that WDWmagic exists or that they are being discussed, and someone going to a private channel, be it PML or PM, to discuss something you (or anyone else) has posted to the entire world. They are both discussions about a message posted to the general internet public at large, being discussed in a venue that they are not privy to.
Like I said, I had no problem with "fun with tweets" or anything else of the sort, so neither one bother me. I assume that if I were the slightest bit interesting that folks might decide to talk about me in some other venue. Heck they might be doing it right now.

The reason I even brought this up at all is because of the following. To quote part of a post I posted in the aforementioned PML this morning:

I've seen how easy statements become "fact" once they've been repeated enough out there. What's the current cost of NextGen? Eleventy-billion dollars? I don't want the PML, which is filled with good people who love Disney and love this site enough to spend money to help support a website that most people use for free, to become synonymous with some form of gang of people who think they are better than everyone else and sit around doing nothing but trashing everyone who doesn't have "premium" under their name. It's just not the truth of the matter.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
My answer would simply be an 'I don't know' ... and that is why this is so important. They should be doing everything possible to ensure safety of children. Are they doing so? We don't know ... and, yes, they should be pushed for answers.

And that doesn't begin to go into the issues they have with fanbois and Imagineers and other creatives, which this story didn't touch on (yes, it was suggested strongly back in '13).

I agree I really think it's for the benefit of the company to address the issue seriously.

Side note someone should tell the Long Island Railroad unions that they can't strike! :mad: Next week will be a nightmare, anyone have a private helicopter? :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I really don't want to dwell on this topic, because it's just not that big of a deal, so I'll drop it after this. I guess I don't see a big difference in you posting something for the entire world (that reads this site) discussing someone based on a tweet, when that person may not even be aware that WDWmagic exists or that they are being discussed, and someone going to a private channel, be it PML or PM, to discuss something you (or anyone else) has posted to the entire world. They are both discussions about a message posted to the general internet public at large, being discussed in a venue that they are not privy to.
Like I said, I had no problem with "fun with tweets" or anything else of the sort, so neither one bother me. I assume that if I were the slightest bit interesting that folks might decide to talk about me in some other venue. Heck they might be doing it right now.

The reason I even brought this up at all is because of the following. To quote part of a post I posted in the aforementioned PML this morning:

I've seen how easy statements become "fact" once they've been repeated enough out there. What's the current cost of NextGen? Eleventy-billion dollars? I don't want the PML, which is filled with good people who love Disney and love this site enough to spend money to help support a website that most people use for free, to become synonymous with some form of gang of people who think they are better than everyone else and sit around doing nothing but trashing everyone who doesn't have "premium" under their name. It's just not the truth of the matter.

I understand and, again, I have no problem with folks talking about what I post there. I'd rather it be here, but whatever.

I do sense a double-standard when something like Fun With Tweets becomes a problem at the same time people are discussing other members down below and not what they are posting.

I won't pay $5 for a membership because I damn well know I am a major driver of traffic to this site. I contribute far more than that and, no, I have never asked (nor has Steve offered) a free premium membership.

But I do view folks who comment below and not up here ... nah, just gonna leave it there. BTW, I wouldn't have commented on this further but you did, so it's all your fault!:D

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom