The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Mike S

Who wouldn't?

BigBangTheory-StarTrek.jpg
That show, lol :hilarious:

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, the rumour of the day is Star Trek to UNI?

I can confirm that there were indeed talks between UNI and Paramount/Viacom. As to the results of those negotiations ... I'm honestly not sure.

And this was quite a while ago.

Now, as a Star Trek fan in all of its incarnations (To say it is worlds better than Star Wars drivel would be putting it mildly.) I'd love to see someone really do something in a parks setting with the IP. Sure, the Vegas Experience at the LV Hilton was kewl, but it was very small scale.

Oh, btw, Potter opened recently at UNI-Japan. Seems like a huge hit there as well.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You're right, obsession is not the word I'm looking for, perhaps "concern" would have been a better choice. And I worked with kids for many many years, and raised a couple of my own, so I do understand caring about the welfare of young people.

And for the record, I have yet to wait in line for any meet and greet...:D

I'm more concerned with the welfare of the innocent, then I am with the reputation of a $150 billion entertainment/media corp. But that's just me.

I have waited for meet and greets ... on DCL ... and 'Angie M' made me (seriously, she did!)

Mike S

So, the rumour of the day is Star Trek to UNI?

I can confirm that there were indeed talks between UNI and Paramount/Viacom. As to the results of those negotiations ... I'm honestly not sure.

And this was quite a while ago.

Now, as a Star Trek fan in all of its incarnations (To say it is worlds better than Star Wars drivel would be putting it mildly.) I'd love to see someone really do something in a parks setting with the IP. Sure, the Vegas Experience at the LV Hilton was kewl, but it was very small scale.

Oh, btw, Potter opened recently at UNI-Japan. Seems like a huge hit there as well.
Have you heard of any of the differences between their Hogsmeade and ours? All I've found is that they have a Black Lake which we don't, nothing else.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well that certainly can't surprise you anymore.

As for the issue at hand it's not surprising but still upsetting. I personally believe these crimes to be among the most foul and disturbing. Given the size of the employee pool and the demographics of WDW, we all knew it happened. Now it is good that it gets attention because I'm sure it's something most people would like to see addressed for the better.

As for execs potentially being involved, that is even more disturbing and troubling. However, they did once employ a man who pretended he was in ography as the CFO, so I guess again nothing surprises me anymore in this industry.

Yes, and Richard was a very smart, very charismatic leader. I met him first when he was CFO at Disney. He was such a cool character and quite down to earth. I later worked for him, until that company went south and left a lot of folks unpaid for their work. Even then, I still liked him. He personally assured me that I'd be paid even as the company was taken apart (early days of the dot.com insanity).

I never would have suspected him for being a kooky perv. But that's just the thing. People don't wear tags that say 'sex offender' ... and while sometimes the strange 62-year-old that lives on the corner alone and has taken a 'strange' (in your opinion) liking to 10-year-old Billy is a vile pervert, sometimes he is simply a lonely guy who likes kids in the totally normal and healthy way.

At the same time we demonize the sex offenders (and I am sorry, but I firmly believe that leads to repeat offenses ... when a murderer gets out of jail and their sentence is over, they are not branded for life and made unable to fit into society again. A sex offender, which in today.s environment can be a 20-year-old who sends a nude pic to a 17-year-old girlfriend, is ruined for life. And no distinction is made whether we are talking someone who gets drunk and grabs a child's behind literally once and a repeat rapist. It is a total f-ed up 'justice' system that often never gives justice to either victim or perp.), we also make it difficult to let kids be kids and trust. That's not healthy either.

Once when I was dating a gal we'll call 'Jill' (and John was right, she got very fat, very quickly as soon as she hit 30!) she suggested I become a Big Brother. I would have loved to. But as a single guy approaching 30 who loved theme parks and sports, I just wasn't going to take a chance of being alone with a child. That's sad, that's our society today (and like many things, it is much worse in the USA than other places).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, I'm not sure if my comment was part of the demanding tone you sensed. But I'd like to clarify...
In no way was I trying to rush, demand, or complain that you still haven't posted or started a new thread.
For myself and I think a few others, we are kind of just looking forward to actually having something worth talking about regarding Disney or theme parks in general. Good or bad news.
Of course a lot is happening in WDW but most of those things are years down the roads of opening.
I can only talk about Anna & Elsa, Magic Bands, and room occupany rates in orlando for so long... Just the thought of hearing "let it go" one more time makes my head hurt!
This thread is ready to be retired or revived with some actual news.
So please don't be offended by the constant talk of your future threads. Or our impatience, we know you owe us nothing. Just appreciate your insight and knowledge.

No, Princess. You were not who I was referring to. ... I'm just tired of the idea some people have that I either work for this website or for them or both. I don't. ... And I appreciate that you appreciate me :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am very new here - never thought I'd reply anywhere, let alone on this subject. (Really I was just looking for travel and dining tips) However, I am a parent and I need to let WDW1974 this topic is appreciated and needed. My opinion is that Disney (and US and SW etc.)has a greater obligation to screen and monitor its employees as it choose to be in a business that carries an increased peril of attracting pedophiles. I had an expectation that the company was aware of this and would take extreme precautions. Not because they have big hearts (well, that would be nice) but because it is in their own self interest. Like putting up a fence when you put in a swimming pool. Protecting the neighbor is also protecting yourself from lawsuits. Seems like I was wrong. Now off to see if going to the first MVMCP is a good idea or goofy.

Welcome.

Thanks.

You are quite right.

And MVMCP isn't worth your money UNLESS you are using in place of a day at the MK. If so, then it is a deal and well worth your time. I do think the first one is a bit early ... I'm just not in a Christmas mood before Veteran's Day myself!

Nemo14

Yes, and Richard was a very smart, very charismatic leader. I met him first when he was CFO at Disney. He was such a cool character and quite down to earth. I later worked for him, until that company went south and left a lot of folks unpaid for their work. Even then, I still liked him. He personally assured me that I'd be paid even as the company was taken apart (early days of the dot.com insanity).

I never would have suspected him for being a kooky perv. But that's just the thing. People don't wear tags that say 'sex offender' ... and while sometimes the strange 62-year-old that lives on the corner alone and has taken a 'strange' (in your opinion) liking to 10-year-old Billy is a vile pervert, sometimes he is simply a lonely guy who likes kids in the totally normal and healthy way.

At the same time we demonize the sex offenders (and I am sorry, but I firmly believe that leads to repeat offenses ... when a murderer gets out of jail and their sentence is over, they are not branded for life and made unable to fit into society again. A sex offender, which in today.s environment can be a 20-year-old who sends a nude pic to a 17-year-old girlfriend, is ruined for life. And no distinction is made whether we are talking someone who gets drunk and grabs a child's behind literally once and a repeat rapist. It is a total f-ed up 'justice' system that often never gives justice to either victim or perp.), we also make it difficult to let kids be kids and trust. That's not healthy either.

Once when I was dating a gal we'll call 'Jill' (and John was right, she got very fat, very quickly as soon as she hit 30!) she suggested I become a Big Brother. I would have loved to. But as a single guy approaching 30 who loved theme parks and sports, I just wasn't going to take a chance of being alone with a child. That's sad, that's our society today (and like many things, it is much worse in the USA than other places).

It truly is sad. My husband used to do a lot of private tutoring, but always had to insist that a parent be present throughout the session if he was in a private home. At the local library, he made sure he was always in a glass-walled conference room or in a high-traffic open space.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So in that respect I agree with you that it's kind of hypocritical for one person to say you are wrong to post tweets while they are at the same time discussing something you have put out into the public.
If people out there don't realize that when they post something on the internet in public, other people might discuss that person or their post in another venue, then they don't quite get how the internet works. I know you do understand how the internet works, so you have to realize that by having the most viewed thread on the site opens you up for both positive and negative discussion, in both public and private.

That was exactly my point, thanks.

I am not big on hypocrisy. ... If some idiot in the fan community puts something out to the ENTIRE WORLD, then why is that off-limits here. But on the PML, you can talk about why other members are poopy-heads?

Like I said, I'm more amused and entertained by most of it ... but it really seems to not be very just.

WDW1974

Original Poster
While I maintain that my statement is no way ridiculous, I agree that people need to break out of the "Disney bubble" mindset. But that encompasses far more than just this topic.
*You can get robbed at WDW.
*You can get raped at WDW.
*Your child can get molested at WDW.
*You can get injured at WDW (particularly if you ignore safety warnings).
*You can get in vehicular (automobile/bus/bicycle/monorail/you name it) accidents at WDW.
*You can drown at WDW.
It may be Walt Disney World, but it's still Planet Earth.
But if there's a way to keep the masses from disengaging their brains (along with their manners) once they pass under those magical gates, no one has yet to discover it. I'd be grateful if they did. :)

It's ridiculous only because you can't possibly list every place your child may be at risk without saying 'everywhere' ... and, yes, parents should realize that. But many don't. Just like I am sure that people send their kids into the changing rooms at BB and aren't thinking ''there could be pervs in there'' (BTW, I am convinced Aquatica is aware of this problem because they ALWAYS have someone inside 'cleaning' ... literally all the time. I guess Disney feels that having 1-2 $9 an hour CMs cleaning and discouraging this type of behavior is just too much for them to afford!)

There is nothing wrong with focusing on a relatively small part of a huge problem and hoping to inform people.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't agree. I think the fear factor for this type of thing is incredibly high right now. I doubt if the CNN piece (which was watched by 95k people in the 24-54 demo) moves that needle at all. Parents (I am one) are terrified to let their kids be alone in any and all situations. The world is so small now, that you hear about every single instance of this type of thing. And it's a constant barrage of it. A figurative waterfall of horror stories about kids being abused. Throwing one more story on top of it isn't going to do more then picking up your local newspaper and seeing the guy 2 streets down from you just got picked up on child charges. THAT moves the needle. Not telling me that 30 of 100k or whatever employees at Florida's largest employer have been arrested for it.

I don't come to WDWMagic to talk about the .005% of sickos who found a way to get jobs at Disney World. CNN wants to do a story about it, that's fine. Not sure why it needs 2+ days of discussion here though.

Simple. Don't discuss it then. I can only suspect that folks want to censor others when they make a statement like that.

I don't come to MAGIC to discuss what character breakfast is best or why New Fantasyland is the best thing ever built at the MK. But I don't jump into those forums and say ''I don't know why this needs to be discussed.''

It's very simple. Don't like the channel, then change it. There are hundreds and hundreds of threads or start one of your own.

I am going to be as delicate as I can here....

If true, that is disgusting. Unequivocally so.

Who is this known to? Actually, don't bother answering. This forum isn't the place to go with that information. And I suspect you know where the right place to take it is, and I hope you already have. Or at the very least, know that it has been brought to the authorities.

That'll be my last words on the topic, as I am being hypocritical enough by just posting this, when I said it shouldn't be discussed for 2+ days here.

Have you ever heard about the 'casting couch' in Hollywood? Women being asked to for sexual favors to get into the business? Have you heard how it sometimes involves underage girls? ... Now, in an industry like this one, what would ever make you think the same thing doesn't happen to boys/young men regularly? And what would ever make one think that Disney, of all companies, would be immune to this type of behavior.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I guess the question is, can you blame them for trying to kill it. All it does, for the vast majority of people who see the story, is bring BAD PRESS to the Company. The title of that article on CNN pointed the finger directly at Disney. Just because they tried to kill the story does not mean they are not actively doing things to prevent or address the root of the story itself.

From a financial/PR point, no I can't.

From a moral/ethical point, I sure as hell can.

Goofyernmost

Have you ever heard about the 'casting couch' in Hollywood? Women being asked to for sexual favors to get into the business? Have you heard how it sometimes involves underage girls? ... Now, in an industry like this one, what would ever make you think the same thing doesn't happen to boys/young men regularly? And what would ever make one think that Disney, of all companies, would be immune to this type of behavior.
Yup, been hearing about that since before the talkies, but, I'm not sure how that necessarily translates into a theme park experience. On top of that, if we are talking about children, which I thought we were, there is a large, huge, gigantic responsibility that is that of the parents and the parents alone. We are talking about generations of people with what is considered to be, deviant tendencies. No matter how many casting couches there are in the world, and I'm sure there are many, it still doesn't automatically connect to this situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom