The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
If you can't discuss an international story about WDW on the No. 1 WDW-centric website's discussion boards, just what are we here for?

To cheer on everything Disney does? That's what the DPB and brand advocates like Lou Mongello are for.

No one is forcing you (or anyone) to discuss anything. Unless Steve is making everyone read this thread. If so, he can expect a demand for payment very soon!

Want to discuss it? Do it. Don't want to? Don't.

Just enough of the 'should we really be talking about this subject' because, frankly, there is no sane, unbiased reason for why this wouldn't be a major topic of discussion.
It's the usually problem with single large multi-topic threads. People want to read certain subjects, but end up wading through 100 posts about comic books, or CNN broadcasts, or sandwiches - when in fact all they are looking for is news on the parks.

One thread per topic - and it can be kept on topic. 100 topics in a thread, and there is no hope of moderation. Choosing what to allow and delete is an impossible task, and a thankless one. If an off-topic post is left, there are complaints. If an off-topic post is removed, it is censorship and stifling important discussion. As a moderator it is an impossible situation to succeed in.

Irie

So, standing up for children is damaging my BRAND? Well, if so, then at least I am damaging it over something important and not whether Frozen in EPCOT is cheap, right?

Oh, and my 'outrage' isn't false.

I debated whether or not to get involved in this but I guess I will.I appreciate your passion for the topic. Being a father of 2, I have never let my guard down at WDW. However, you did come across as hostile when some members were ready to move on. You even characterized it as bullying. This did you a disservice. People were just asking you to post what you said you would. This is a "fan" site after all. Remember what fan is an abbreviation for.

Post it or don't post it. It doesn't matter to me. However the constant bickering back and forth is not helping the cause.

If others with an agenda, can't refrain from jumping in then ignore them. Most are looking only for attention.

Snowflake82

You are completely correct. That said, we 'round these parts still long for the day when Disney was the industry leader, where 'holy cow, can you believe they did THAT' was commonplace, where we were astounded by new ideas and technologies, and WDW was the crown jewel of theme park experiences. And so, WDW fans will, on one hand, benefit from more awesomeness like HP land, and simultaneously mourn what could have been and
should have been, in the place that started it all.

Oh, I think "holy cow, can you believe they did THAT" still gets a lot of mileage... :rolleyes:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I believe that comment i made was addressed to Spirit. I'm just surprised at how well you seem to know him and his threads.
No idea who the poster is, but I can tell you there are people that have read this forum for 10 years, and don't register. They know members here better than a lot of people here who post constantly. Then they decide to register and post. That's how it works.

bhg469

Be that as it may, I learned about it, read about it, and responded to it here.
And mom tried to squash it, successfully for a while. It's out there, it's horrible and 74 brought it to everyone's attention while they were looking for his other announcement. My only complaint is that while a lot of people read this forum, it's a drop in the bucket compared to who viewed the cnn story, which was really slanted to make things look much worse, but it's what they do... same with all news outlets.

Nemo14

No idea who the poster is, but I can tell you there are people that have read this forum for 10 years, and don't register. They know members here better than a lot of people here who post constantly. Then they decide to register and post. That's how it works.
I'm not going to argue the point Steve, and I apologize if my posts offended. I just tend to trust my instincts.

Trauma

Nemo

You have baited me and succeeded.

I do have an agenda.

This subject is one that really hits home for me for reasons I won't get into.

I use to read these forums for news good and bad and have a huge amount of respect for 74 and the way he is able to frame discussions as they relate to Disney.

Then this subject came up.

Im sure 74 is a good person and means well I'm sorry I questioned his intent but I am beyond frustrated with this conversation here.

The media exposing this or someone on a forum exposing this does almost nothing to protect children.

I can go into detail about what paths can be taken if you are truly interested in helping victims and/or prevention, just pm me.

I'm sorry I derailed this thread and will shut up now and go away.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Done!

For what it's worth I think it generally is a topic worth discussing. It just shouldn't be limited to Disney, and this probably isn't the right spot for it.

But if folks want to continue on with the discussion, I'll simply skim past those posts. Easy peasy.

Again, that's just fine. Although I question the need to add yet again that you somehow feel an international story on WDW would somehow NOT belong here.

Just felt like you had some pretty specific examples you knew about. If it's more of a we all *think* this goes on type of thing, then that's a different can of worms.

I get that. It's sorta like when America yawned when the Edward Snowden/NSA scandal was broken. The prevailing 'tude had become 'we all knew the government was spying on us' like that somehow made it OK.

Young men are sexually coerced and molested and raped in Hollywood all the time with the hopes that they'll get into the business. The Bryan Singer scandal opens that window a crack for folks to see exactly what goes down. It isn't the exception by any stretch.

A quick point on Pumbas post, and why it got so many likes. It's simple really. It was,

A. Funny, as most of his posts are.
B. It was honest.

Even if you don't agree with his opinion of you, and I assume you don't agree, you can "like" the honesty and humor.

I think he is quite funny, actually. Second funniest Scottish dude I know after Craig Ferguson. I don't know whether he believes half of what he posts or whether he is even sober when he posts, but he is entertaining.

My issue was again the fact that certain words are fine when uttered by others (and I am a grownup who believes that there are no 10-year-olds here ... they have better things to do and if they were here that a 'naughty' word wouldn't scar them for life), but I can't even get away with using the singular form of Lifestyler whores in a general sense.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Probably $0, because everything has to be free on the internet, didn't you get the memo? There must be no ads, no subscription fees, perfect moderation 24x7x365 that satisfies both sides of an argument, and 100% uptime.

I suspect you/me/we could make quite a bit with a wall for certain content I provide based on how many people hate me and never read a word I post!!!:devilish::greedy::cool:;)

NearTheEars

Old school would be my pick. Next Gen second choice. But you know they will go with Abrams' Apple store and lens flares look.

Still, beats cardboard snowman on a stick.

Is the snowman on the stick meant to be an attraction? Awesome analogy.

I thought it was a way for fans in the park to get their photo up on the big screen during the show.

Yeah, what a dumb idea. Everyone hates seeing themselves on a jumbotron..... Oh wait.

Edit after rereading: didn't mean to come off sounding like a total jerk. But I kinda do, but won't edit it out. Too late. Ha.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I've been impressed by the speed of UNI's recent construction, but (IMO) summer '15 sounds too soon for Kong given what it looks like right now. Fall/Thanksgiving/Christmas sounds like a more reasonable timeframe.

Any workers who aren't American can build things 10X more faster than us. -_-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom