The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We already have a seperate thread for that discussion on the home page of "new and rumours" right now that will give the story more direct exposure than having it buried here in this thread.
My post was more in regards to the behavior of some, not about keeping the CNN discussion alive in this particular thread, but in the same breath, with all the other random topics discussed here it should not bother anyone if someone chooses to bring it up.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Whether its CNN or @WDW1974 that gets people to discuss it, the agenda doesnt matter if it creates awareness and has people talking about it. It creates a spark that may in turn lead to more action being taken by someone who does not want to let it be "utterly forgotten" or go back to talking about Frozen in the parks. We live in a world were people see a story like this and think "thats horrible" then turn the channel to watch The Kardashians or Game of Throwns.

Its easier to turn a blind eye and assume someone else will do something. So 74 is trying to do something (who cares if you think his focus is too heavy on Disney) and some people rip him for it.?? Im not trying to kiss either, I dont personally know 74 outside of these forums and Im simply defending the fact the its a person doing something, not just turning the channel on the tv. I dont blame him if he chooses not to post his new info regarding the parks. Its fun to get insider info but does it really change our lives that much? Our bills will still be due, the sun will still rise, your poop will still stink, and it will come back to the same topics of discussion anyway. Should we be tearing Disney apart for this? No, but it deserves discussion without that 74 dropping new park info is more important.
I have yet to comment on the whole CNN discussion here but I guess for me the question is... what good is discussing it on a Disney forum?
I'm all for not sweeping this under the rug but really, if people want to discuss the elephant in the room or really start change... is this the right platform?

PrincessNelly_NJ

I often use TripAdvisor to get an idea of things... and then run from the crazy. Look outside of Theme Parks at hotels. Pick just about any hotel, and the reviews will call it anything from a roach motel to Mecca. Same would probably go for a theme park, or a restaurant or any other thing that TripAdvisor would host reviews for. I try to read the reviews for facts, and take most opinion with a grain of salt. (Well maybe a couple grains, my diet doesn't have restrictions... yet)
Sounds exactly like me. I write reviews on TA all the time but I know my experience won't make or break someones experience.
I have actually gotten quite a few freebies & discounts because of my reviews on TA.

LithiumBill

It's not a Disney problem, it's a global problem. I think the fact that CNN bracketed this around theme parks is the main point of contention. It's a problem in all of society. If companies are hiring KNOW pedophiles and sex offenders, and not making it aware to the consumers, that is a problem. But if employees that pass screenings are hired, it cannot be the fault of the employer, unless they learn about it, keep the employee hired, and then try and cover it up after an incident.

EVERY EMPLOYER IN THE WORLD HAS THIS PROBLEM. It's about how you handle the knowledge once it is uncovered, or how to better screen employees (without imposing on their civil rights).

Kuzcotopia

Whether its CNN or @WDW1974 that gets people to discuss it, the agenda doesnt matter if it creates awareness and has people talking about it. It creates a spark that may in turn lead to more action being taken by someone who does not want to let it be "utterly forgotten" or go back to talking about Frozen in the parks. We live in a world were people see a story like this and think "thats horrible" then turn the channel to watch The Kardashians or Game of Throwns.

Its easier to turn a blind eye and assume someone else will do something. So 74 is trying to do something (who cares if you think his focus is too heavy on Disney) and some people rip him for it.?? Im not trying to kiss either, I dont personally know 74 outside of these forums and Im simply defending the fact the its a person doing something, not just turning the channel on the tv. I dont blame him if he chooses not to post his new info regarding the parks. Its fun to get insider info but does it really change our lives that much? Our bills will still be due, the sun will still rise, your poop will still stink, and it will come back to the same topics of discussion anyway. Should we be tearing Disney apart for this? No, but it deserves discussion without that 74 dropping new park info is more important.

I think we agree . . .

But the problem is a serious humanitarian issue that should be of interest to everyone in this country.

But. . .

This news story broke Monday night, the 14th. If this story actually invokes a true cultural response from the public, and produces some kind of actual, creative prescription that will prevent any future crimes. . . then I will be truly amazed. In reality, it will be utterly forgotten, and by the 21st of July, only a week later, everyone will have moved on.

As a parent, I will wait with bated breath for something positive that actually prevents crime to come out of these discussions. Remember, the core issue being discussed here, and why it's supposedly relevant* to these forums, is that Disney has hired employees who commit these crimes, so whatdowedoaboutit?

It's not relevant. It's a teensy, tiny percentage compared to anything else. And yes. . . once some have gotten our fill, produced said outrage, used it to promote themselves in whatever way they deem most beneficial, the problem ceases to be a problem anymore. . . what a colossal bummer.

Trauma

So I'm new here and could care less who doesn't like me, so is this thread about news and rumor at disney or the fact that child pervs exist.

If People want to talk about how to stop pedos in America they should try to find the how to stop pedos forums.

I know that 74 is a poster that brings
A lot of news and insight and he thinks this is important, and he is correct it is.

But this doesn't seem to be the place to discuss these issues as it is a global issue not a Disney one.

I'm new here and I may be wrong but I get the sense that this thread would have been more closely moderated if it wasn't for the person pushing the topic.

PhotoDave219

So I'm new here and could care less who doesn't like me, so is this thread about news and rumor at disney or the fact that child pervs exist.

If People want to talk about how to stop pedos in America they should try to find the how to stop pedos forums.

I know that 74 is a poster that brings
A lot of news and insight and he thinks this is important, and he is correct it is.

But this doesn't seem to be the place to discuss these issues as it is a global issue not a Disney one.

I'm new here and I may be wrong but I get the sense that this thread would have been more closely moderated if it wasn't for the person pushing the topic.

Like we were discussing the other night and 20 some pages ago, CNN did a hatchet job here and a total disservice to the victims. Not to mention how poorly researched it was.

If they were actually trying for advocacy journalism, it would have been a two hour long piece and the disney aspect just a small part given that we're finding pedos in all walks of society: The Church, Scout Leaders, Teachers and other roles where child interaction is prevalent and not to mention predators on the internet.

This is a giant societal issue.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Like we were discussing the other night and 20 some pages ago, CNN did a hatchet job here and a total disservice to the victims. Not to mention how poorly researched it was.

If they were actually trying for advocacy journalism, it would have been a two hour long piece and the disney aspect just a small part given that we're finding pedos in all walks of society: The Church, Scout Leaders, Teachers and other roles where child interaction is prevalent and not to mention predators on the internet.

Completely agree.

Cesar R M

It's based on Trip Advisor Rankings. DHS beat out DL at 4 and 5.

And Discovery Cove makes complete sense being #1 being that it's a boutique park and all. Unlimited food and drink (including alcohol) with price of admission all while limiting the amount of people in the park? I'd assume any park that does that offers that would have really high guest satisfaction.
of course it helps if the food can be as bad as sometimes it is in Disney.
Imagine having to pay 40 USD for a tiny steak and then having it suck badly.
I've read nightmares (food wise) in this forum.

I don't agree. I think the fear factor for this type of thing is incredibly high right now. I doubt if the CNN piece (which was watched by 95k people in the 24-54 demo) moves that needle at all. Parents (I am one) are terrified to let their kids be alone in any and all situations. The world is so small now, that you hear about every single instance of this type of thing. And it's a constant barrage of it. A figurative waterfall of horror stories about kids being abused. Throwing one more story on top of it isn't going to do more then picking up your local newspaper and seeing the guy 2 streets down from you just got picked up on child charges. THAT moves the needle. Not telling me that 30 of 100k or whatever employees at Florida's largest employer have been arrested for it.

I don't come to WDWMagic to talk about the .005% of sickos who found a way to get jobs at Disney World. CNN wants to do a story about it, that's fine. Not sure why it needs 2+ days of discussion here though.

I agree with you. Humanity keeps getting bombarded with horror stories left and right. We live in a world controlled BY FEAR.

Cesar R M

This is pointless.
Why would fox even write an article on this..
Think about the ratio of guest reviews to each park.
MK could have a thousand reviews and ratings while Discovery Cove could had 100 reviews.
I prefer quality not quantity ;)
In addition, to quote the article "TripAdvisor ranked top picks using an algorithm that included quantity and quality of hundreds of reviews over a 12-month period. TripAdvisor also conducted a survey among 1,500 U.S. respondents on favorite park activities and top trends."

User reviews on the Internet hold little to no weight with me. People just LOVE to complain and give a poor review - ESPECIALLY about a Disney experience.

specially about disney? they complain about everything.. and sometimes for very dumb things.. This isnt just about Disney.

I still remember how some guys complained "about how the sand was white and not yellow" and 'how hot the beach was".. You can google for some of these gems.. as "some of the top dumbest complains"

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

It's not a Disney problem, it's a global problem. I think the fact that CNN bracketed this around theme parks is the main point of contention. It's a problem in all of society. If companies are hiring KNOW pedophiles and sex offenders, and not making it aware to the consumers, that is a problem. But if employees that pass screenings are hired, it cannot be the fault of the employer, unless they learn about it, keep the employee hired, and then try and cover it up after an incident.

EVERY EMPLOYER IN THE WORLD HAS THIS PROBLEM. It's about how you handle the knowledge once it is uncovered, or how to better screen employees (without imposing on their civil rights).
I kind of agree. Obviously no one wants to be around Sex offenders or pedophiles but they still have to work somewhere.
Lets get real, if you went to Home Depot and John from gardening had a "Sex Offender" tag under his name tag, no one would want to deal with him & people wouldn't frequent that Home Depot anymore.
So I cant imagine a world where businesses openly admit to hiring sexual offenders.

Aren't there some kind of requirements in place to keep them from working around children at least?

Cesar R M

If your vacation decisions are based off someone else's experiences, you've got larger issues at play.

Argue it all you want, I've got laundry to do.
So, According to you:
if a hotel as huge row of reviews that say "having rats, dirt, bad service.." would it be smart to ignore these reviews and just go so? There is a huge probability I will find RATS, DIRT and BAD SERVICE!! should I risk myself?

imho.. reviews are always VERY USEFUL if taken with a grain of salt.
What is a must.. is ignoring the overinflated and exaggerated negative reviews AND the FANBOI ones that populate reviews sites. Then we can easily make an intelligent decision.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

speaking of finding pedos.. there was a news a few hours ago.. about 660 detained pedos in the UK..
they are hitting them hard now!
(plus the 1000+ detained in europe, including 500 in spain a few months ago)
this clearly shows a message.. either stop abusing.. or get to jail and marked for life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom