The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

PREMiERdrum

And tens of thousands of fake ratings.
Not saying that is what caused this though, but it happens a lot.
What even is Discovery Cove? Never heard of it before hand.
And judging by the picture, it hardly looks like a theme park

Discovery Cove is a wonderful little concept, and inspired Disney's ill-fated "Night Kingdom" project.

It's a little pricey, but the animal interaction, low number of people allowed in each day, and "all inclusive" concept make it worth while. If you have any interest in close contact with marine mammals, it is a must do.

danv3

Here's some info for us to chew on until @WDW1974 gets back with that new news.

Screamscape is reporting (with video from a news segment) that Disney took discussions to Norway and basically told them they either have to reinvest $9 million for a new, updated Norway ride, or TDO will take over the pavilion and turn it into A Frozen ride... :(

Please no...I am more than welcoming of a Frozen attraction, just not in the world showcase or Epcot...

The $9 million figure must be wrong. The rest may or may not be accurate. I'm not sure Norway cares what happens to the pavilion though. They're still going to benefit even if disney takes it over and makes it Frozenland.

DinoInstitute

And also, according to that video, it says that they have replaced the end film with a Frozen segment and repainted all the buildings to fit the Frozen theme....thats not true, is it?

PrincessNelly_NJ

And tens of thousands of fake ratings.
Not saying that is what caused this though, but it happens a lot.
What even is Discovery Cove? Never heard of it before hand.
And judging by the picture, it hardly looks like a theme park
You've never heard of Discovery Coveo_O
It isn't really a theme park but more of an experience. It is pricey but well worth the cost.
You should really look into it.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Fox News published the World's top water parks on their website. Here's the list:

1. Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park, Orlando, Florida
2. Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park, Orlando, Florida
3. Aquatica, Orlando, Florida
4. Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari, Santa Claus, Indiana
5. Water Country USA, Williamsburg, Virginia
6. Morey’s Piers and Beachfront Waterparks, Wildwood, New Jersey
7. Noah’s Ark Water Park, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
8. Dollywood’s Splash Country Water Adventure Park, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
9. Wet 'n Wild, Orlando, Florida
10. Cedar Point – Soak City, Sandusky, Ohio
That same article on FoxNews, also shows the top theme parks...

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/...ement-parks-and-water-parks/?intcmp=obnetwork

Guess what's #1? Not MK. Not EC. Not HS. Not AK. Or any Disney park!

Guess what's #2? Universal Studios Orlando!

Guess what's #3? Finally, the MK!

How can Disney let this happen?

This is pointless.
Why would fox even write an article on this..
Think about the ratio of guest reviews to each park.
MK could have a thousand reviews and ratings while Discovery Cove could had 100 reviews.

NYwdwfan

This is pointless.
Why would fox even write an article on this..
Think about the ratio of guest reviews to each park.
MK could have a thousand reviews and ratings while Discovery Cove could had 100 reviews.

In addition, to quote the article "TripAdvisor ranked top picks using an algorithm that included quantity and quality of hundreds of reviews over a 12-month period. TripAdvisor also conducted a survey among 1,500 U.S. respondents on favorite park activities and top trends."

User reviews on the Internet hold little to no weight with me. People just LOVE to complain and give a poor review - ESPECIALLY about a Disney experience.

WildcatDen

I would agree and I would hope (and expect) to see/hear/read more about that, but we'll have to see how transparent and cooperative Disney (and UNI and SW) will be. ... Disney's typical MO on a story like this is to everything possible to kill it and not cooperate in any way with the reporters/producers/editors. That was, indeed, what was tried with this story to no success (and on that lousy piece the NYT ran on Disney's gambling businesses)!
I guess the question is, can you blame them for trying to kill it. All it does, for the vast majority of people who see the story, is bring BAD PRESS to the Company. The title of that article on CNN pointed the finger directly at Disney. Just because they tried to kill the story does not mean they are not actively doing things to prevent or address the root of the story itself.

LithiumBill

Can we re-read this? Because, yes, the revolving door, CMs are just bodies mindset certainly adds to the perception, if not the reality, of the problem.

I remember a family member went to the Team Disney building once in the late 90s when they were on a hiring binge just to see what the experience was like. ''It was as if most of the people had gotten out of the Orange County Correctional Facility at 10 a.m. and were at Disney for jobs at noon.'' I was told. And that was when times were good and there was still some sliver of a cache about landing a Disney job.

But at the risk of going back to the Sixth Sense thread, I have a mighty fine Publix sandwich that is calling me!

Can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring here (actually, I can!)
But isn't that the case with minimum wage jobs around the country? There are hard working people that are down on their luck that need the jobs, but then there are the people who are just DOWN and need the job, people who are just out of jail or on probation... that fill these jobs. I do not want to stereotype, but I feel that the people with mental illnesses like pedophilia would be more likely to have these low paying jobs. Up here in Boston we have had a rash of stories about fast food chains hiring sex offenders, and how they should not be allowed to do so.

stlphil

tahqa

That same article on FoxNews, also shows the top theme parks...

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/...ement-parks-and-water-parks/?intcmp=obnetwork

Guess what's #1? Not MK. Not EC. Not HS. Not AK. Or any Disney park!

Guess what's #2? Universal Studios Orlando!

Guess what's #3? Finally, the MK!

How can Disney let this happen?

"TripAdvisor ranked top picks using an algorithm that included quantity and quality of hundreds of reviews over a 12-month period. TripAdvisor also conducted a survey among 1,500 U.S. respondents on favorite park activities and top trends.

Over 60 percent of U.S. respondents have visited or plan to visit an amusement park in 2014, up from 49 percent who said they visited an amusement park last year. And it’s no surprise that the summer is the most popular time of the year to visit a theme park or water park, with 36 percent of those polled saying that they spend overall over $1,000 per trip to their park of choice.

When it comes to attractions, roller coasters are the favorite, followed by bumper cars and carousels (tied for second place), and the Ferris wheel. At water parks, Americans enjoy tubing down a lazy river, whizzing down the water slide and enjoying a log ride or just relaxing in a wave pool
."

It's based on reviews from TripAdvisor rather than on number of turnstyle entries. I'm guessing that a lot of the people that are writing the reviews aren't going to Magic Kingdom. Probably because "roller coasters are the favorite". And the algorithm includes quantity and quality of hundreds of reviews. So a lot of bad reviews is a good thing? :cool:

Seriously? It's TripAdvisor trying to make their own news IMO.

Hula Popper

Goofyernmost

Spirit, take your time before dropping your big news about WDW. We need to stay focused on this CNN story. This CNN story is too important to be over shadowed by new news and swept under the rug.
That is certainly true, but, is a Disney board, especially one that is designated as WDW exclusive, have any real ability to keep a topic moving other then amongst ourselves? The only reason that anyone needs to keep it on this board is if it is somehow proven that Disney had anything to do with the deviant behavior of a very small amount of their employees. This is not a Disney issue, it is a national, maybe even world wide issue. Showing "the slimy underbelly of Disney" is specific. Showing the slimy underbelly of society in general is pertinent and worthy of discussion. Show me that Disney doesn't do whatever is humanly AND legally possible to preempt the hiring of people with evil thoughts and I will get on board with you. If not, then all that is happening is crap is being thrown into the wind just to see where it falls.

The real way to take on a story like this is head first (no pun intended). They should show that they are implementing new policies and procedures to make sure this never happens.
This story obviously isn't going away.to try to kill it would be counter-productive.
That what never happens? Do you mean that people are no longer born that have a sick mind? That Disney have some magic scope that they can use to scan the brain to reveal a hidden scrambled area? Should they include on the employee application the question... "Do you like to look at little boys (or girls) naked?" or "Do you ever have thoughts the normal society would find repulsive?" What can any company do to prevent people from thinking whatever they feel like thinking. Should frontal lobotomies be standard as a requirement to become a trustworthy Cast Member?

I don't see Disney as trying to kill the story, but to be implied that being in a Disney park is any more dangerous then being on your own street isn't fair and the only way they have to deal with it is to ignore the expectation of a response to an unwarranted implication, because they may have already done whatever they can to safeguard against it. There have been no reports of stuff happening in the parks or even in the resorts. It is an issue, but, it is a social issue not a Disney issue. So, why are we sitting here constantly assuming that nothing is being done to avoid problems like this that aren't even happening in Disney proper. And ask yourselves, what could Disney possibly say that would either add to or negate the damage being done to the place because of the use of headline catchers. Leave the Disney property and drive up and down 192 and point out one business along that strip the you can know for sure does not contain someone with evil thoughts working there. Don't think you will find one. The question isn't what is Disney doing to prevent this. The real question is what is society doing to prevent this. The answer is society is doing nothing except trying to pin the blame on something, someplace or someone else.

Last edited:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Some Spirited Thoughts/Perspective:

It would be very nice and helpful if everyone who doesn't have anything to add to a subject simply did NOT post in an OCD fashion. I get that some of you feel that the news that CNN reported on doesn't fit your definition of news and you are entitled to that opinion (even if the prevailing view in media says otherwise with outlets all over the globe picking it up). But what really isn't cool and shouldn't be tolerated is people coming in here and saying 'Nothing to see. Nobody should discuss it. Move on.''

That's not how news works, and it shouldn't be how a WDW-centric forum works either. You take the pedos along with the pixie dust.

Otherwise, it makes the site look like the rah-rah Disney can do no wrong forum that many Twits accuse it of being. ... So long as the media is talking about it and I feel there is something I can add, then I will. You don't like it? No one forces anyone to read this thread, although we know that it sure seems like everyone here does.

To clarify something, I won't say I'm responsible for the story (let Disney worry about that). I will say that I contacted CNN in early 2013 to discuss the story (and others) and thought Disney had killed it until very recently. I didn't know it was airing last night until Monday morning.

I realize that some people here want to not believe a word I have to say, which does make you wonder why they are reading my thread to begin with. To the bigger point here, I have met many forum members from this site (and others) in my 20 years of being part of the online Disney fan community.

But beyond my pal @Lee (who I would run into a burning building for!), I'd say a good two dozen folks from this forum know me in the real world. They know I'm the real deal. End of statement. There's no discussion to be had.

I'm sorta fed up with some folks here believing I owe them anything (beyond being honest and showing integrity). Yes, I said I have some important news to share. Yes, I said it would come early this week. But guess what? Something bigger hit the media, something I believe is more important. And after spending a few hours defending the newsworthiness of pedophiles working in the No.1 theme park destination on the planet, I just don't have the stomach for breaking more Disney (or UNI) news on this site right now. I am sure when I put it up, I'll get plenty of 'that's it!?!!' remarks because while I look at the big picture, I realize many others do not.

I have already said the news has to do with Disney and its business model going forward. This isn't an announcement of what will be in Star Wars Land or the next upcharge event. It's big picture stuff.

I do not get paid to post here. Or for my time. When I, or anyone else for that matter, break news here, it isn't even mentioned on the main page because Steve only puts his info there. ... I do not appreciate the demanding tone that in some cases borders of bullying for info. I'll put it out when I feel like it and if you read it and appreciate it, that's great. If not, that's cool with me too. Again, this isn't my job.

Finally, a comment on my comment about the PML. I am a semi-regular topic of discussion down there and I know this and who is doing this. I don't really care as it cements my opinion that some folks are simply obsessed with me and can't not read what I post or comment on it. And they feel safe there. That's cool. If it bothered me enough, then I'd say something to the mods. Beyond the labeling me as a homophobe, I am quite amused by it. But, no, I have no intention of paying for the privilege of talking to those who will not do it here. I drive enough traffic to this forum and all that does is help the site. I've done more than my part. I find it amusing because nowadays whenever you mention someone from another forum or Twitter who puts something stupid/ignorant/insane out there, there's an immediate cry for its removal. If we shouldn't take shots at Lifestylers who put stuff out for attention, do you think we should be taking shots at other members, members of our own community, down on the PML?

Like I said, some thoughts.

Oh, and I had a choice early this evening: spend two hours going back and forth with folks here or go see the new monkey movie. I saw the Apes. Some of the behavior did remind me of what I see online to be fair. But the film was pretty darn good, just had a nothing ending so to set the next one up in three years.

Can I just say for avoidance of doubt that thinking you are a bit of a ***** isnt a post I feel needs reserving for anywhere you cant read it, Im also a believer never to post something you wouldn't be happy to repeat in the flesh.

But thats by the by, perhaps you do break news, I don't follow things that closely but I do know that most of the real hot poop has emanated from sources less self congratulatory than yourself in recent times. Lets be honest your posting style is designed to be opinion laden controversy to mask the minuscule pertinent info it contains. But you do make me laugh with your JT like self sincerity.

As for the paying part, you seem so paranoid about paying for anything Im starting to think you have cheuchter blood.

Last edited by a moderator:

seascape

Let's be fair. The issue is important but based on facts children are safe at Disney. The same can be said about universal also even though there was a case of a Universal Team Member who did abuse a child on property. I am sick and tired of this being a thread that attacks Disney. Children are safe at both parks. Your kids are in greater danger at school or on the beach. Let's use this opportunity to go after the real problem and leave Universal, Sea World and Disney out of it. I don't know why spirit has a personal issue with this against Disney and tried to ignore the other parks because it's clear that was his intention but all three parks have the same issues. I know I have taken steps and action to try and protect children. I called elected officials and help get petitions signed to get the first Megan's law passed. Everyone should do what they can but we have to also understand that unless you want the death penalty for sexual abusers we have to do something with them and they have to be able to work somewhere. The problem is the laws really are on the employees side and with union contracts employers must let the legal system decide if the person is guilty before termination.

I thank spirit for his concern over this issue but be is taking this too far against Disney. He should take action to help resolve this problem and if he did he would find more support here. This is a problem at every theme park but it's not the issue he is trying to make it if it were no one should take their kids to any park in Orlando or any other city.

GeneralZod

Some Spirited Thoughts/Perspective:
But the film was pretty darn good, just had a nothing ending so to set the next one up in three years.

The ending was far from <just> a set-up. I hesitate to say you didn't understand it and will simply say you might want to re-watch it at some point and dig a little deeper for the meaning.

Last edited:

GeneralZod

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom