The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Ignohippo

I would agree and I would hope (and expect) to see/hear/read more about that, but we'll have to see how transparent and cooperative Disney (and UNI and SW) will be. ... Disney's typical MO on a story like this is to everything possible to kill it and not cooperate in any way with the reporters/producers/editors. That was, indeed, what was tried with this story to no success (and on that lousy piece the NYT ran on Disney's gambling businesses)!

The real way to take on a story like this is head first (no pun intended). They should show that they are implementing new policies and procedures to make sure this never happens.

This story obviously isn't going away.to try to kill it would be counter-productive.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit, take your time before dropping your big news about WDW. We need to stay focused on this CNN story. This CNN story is too important to be over shadowed by new news and swept under the rug.

Thanks and you are right.

I wish I wasn't the only 'like' you got, but folks are gonna think what they think ...

I do wonder what CNN aired tonight and probably should leave this MAGICal realm and find out. But I had a few things I wanted to get off my chest as my manboobs are heavy enough as is!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Totally true and no insider owes anyone anything however teasing new info and than not wanting to discuss it is obviously going to do nothing but get a bunch of people in a complete lather. I really don't understand the point.

I absolutely worship wdw74 , but I'm not sure what he expects would be the outcome of teasing new info and then saying he won't discuss it because he doesn't like that a bunch of people who spend their days and nights thinking about a cartoon mouse and bunch of stagnant amusement parks are acting like, well, children, is just silly.

Wah. You don't want to play like I want to play, then I'm going to take my ball and go home. I'll show you. Wahhhhh.

That's not correct. And if people get into a lather that is entirely up to them.

It just isn't something I feel like putting out right now in light of recent developments. I have that right. I owe no one here anything (repeating myself).

John

I
I would agree and I would hope (and expect) to see/hear/read more about that, but we'll have to see how transparent and cooperative Disney (and UNI and SW) will be. ... Disney's typical MO on a story like this is to everything possible to kill it and not cooperate in any way with the reporters/producers/editors. That was, indeed, what was tried with this story to no success (and on that lousy piece the NYT ran on Disney's gambling businesses)!

I actually thought the NYT piece was very well done......:) I don't think anyone is surprised Disney or any other company would want a story like this to see the light of day. Uni and SW probably knew what Disney would do and just stepped back and let them do the dirty work.

seascape

I don't remember the name of the organization CNN went to who represents abused children but the representative clearly said Disney does more than any other company to prevent abuse. Therefore according to CNN the book is a hatchet job.
Some Spirited Thoughts/Perspective:

It would be very nice and helpful if everyone who doesn't have anything to add to a subject simply did NOT post in an OCD fashion. I get that some of you feel that the news that CNN reported on doesn't fit your definition of news and you are entitled to that opinion (even if the prevailing view in media says otherwise with outlets all over the globe picking it up). But what really isn't cool and shouldn't be tolerated is people coming in here and saying 'Nothing to see. Nobody should discuss it. Move on.''

That's not how news works, and it shouldn't be how a WDW-centric forum works either. You take the pedos along with the pixie dust.

Otherwise, it makes the site look like the rah-rah Disney can do no wrong forum that many Twits accuse it of being. ... So long as the media is talking about it and I feel there is something I can add, then I will. You don't like it? No one forces anyone to read this thread, although we know that it sure seems like everyone here does.

To clarify something, I won't say I'm responsible for the story (let Disney worry about that). I will say that I contacted CNN in early 2013 to discuss the story (and others) and thought Disney had killed it until very recently. I didn't know it was airing last night until Monday morning.

I realize that some people here want to not believe a word I have to say, which does make you wonder why they are reading my thread to begin with. To the bigger point here, I have met many forum members from this site (and others) in my 20 years of being part of the online Disney fan community.

But beyond my pal @Lee (who I would run into a burning building for!), I'd say a good two dozen folks from this forum know me in the real world. They know I'm the real deal. End of statement. There's no discussion to be had.

I'm sorta fed up with some folks here believing I owe them anything (beyond being honest and showing integrity). Yes, I said I have some important news to share. Yes, I said it would come early this week. But guess what? Something bigger hit the media, something I believe is more important. And after spending a few hours defending the newsworthiness of pedophiles working in the No.1 theme park destination on the planet, I just don't have the stomach for breaking more Disney (or UNI) news on this site right now. I am sure when I put it up, I'll get plenty of 'that's it!?!!' remarks because while I look at the big picture, I realize many others do not.

I have already said the news has to do with Disney and its business model going forward. This isn't an announcement of what will be in Star Wars Land or the next upcharge event. It's big picture stuff.

I do not get paid to post here. Or for my time. When I, or anyone else for that matter, break news here, it isn't even mentioned on the main page because Steve only puts his info there. ... I do not appreciate the demanding tone that in some cases borders of bullying for info. I'll put it out when I feel like it and if you read it and appreciate it, that's great. If not, that's cool with me too. Again, this isn't my job.

Finally, a comment on my comment about the PML. I am a semi-regular topic of discussion down there and I know this and who is doing this. I don't really care as it cements my opinion that some folks are simply obsessed with me and can't not read what I post or comment on it. And they feel safe there. That's cool. If it bothered me enough, then I'd say something to the mods. Beyond the labeling me as a homophobe, I am quite amused by it. But, no, I have no intention of paying for the privilege of talking to those who will not do it here. I drive enough traffic to this forum and all that does is help the site. I've done more than my part. I find it amusing because nowadays whenever you mention someone from another forum or Twitter who puts something stupid/ignorant/insane out there, there's an immediate cry for its removal. If we shouldn't take shots at Lifestylers who put stuff out for attention, do you think we should be taking shots at other members, members of our own community, down on the PML?

Like I said, some thoughts.

Oh, and I had a choice early this evening: spend two hours going back and forth with folks here or go see the new monkey movie. I saw the Apes. Some of the behavior did remind me of what I see online to be fair. But the film was pretty darn good, just had a nothing ending so to set the next one up in three years.
I agree with you that this subject is important. I worked in New Jersey to pass the original Megan Law. The issue is difficult and our children need to be protected. You should take steps like Megan's parents did.

That said you are blaming the wrong company. Disney is no more responsible than Universal or Sea World. And if Disney is responsible so is Universal and Sea World. I am glad that you have an interest in this and wish you luck but the problem is everywhere and you should not blame Disney. In fact the person who CNN spoke to who represented abused children said Disney was a great company that did everything possible to protect children.

You may have an agenda against Disney but that should not be the issue here. I appreciate your posts about Disney and Universal attractions and wish you would stay here and post about the parks and work on sexual abuse where it counts. All companies and even the government hire sexual predators. I know there is no real treatment for predators and that is why everyone has to take some responsibility and I mean everyone but going after Disney when you know the problem is everywhere is wrong. Take steps you can to help solve this problem. There are steps and I wish you luck.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm angry because instead of mentioning the people by whom a child is far, far more likely to be molested, CNN used the Disney (and UNI and SW) name(s) to grab headlines. The real threat is the people these children encounter in their day-to-day routine, and not the concierge at their hotel. I found this news program long on sensationalism and short on statistics.

That's ridiculous, although I get what you are saying. Although, I am pretty certain that your local or national press has covered the fact that religious leaders often molest kids and scout leaders and teachers ad nauseum, but I have yet to see a major investigation into what goes down (no pun intended) at the theme park resorts in Central Florida.

I think it's important because people completely shut their brains off at said locations and still hold on to a 1970s era belief that nothing could happen to their kids at Disney or UNI or SW. Getting the point out that parents should be wary at these locations is a great message, no matter whether you are more worried that weird Uncle Fred is going to didlle your daughter.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's ridiculous, although I get what you are saying. Although, I am pretty certain that your local or national press has covered the fact that religious leaders often molest kids and scout leaders and teachers ad nauseum, but I have yet to see a major investigation into what goes down (no pun intended) at the theme park resorts in Central Florida.

I think it's important because people completely shut their brains off at said locations and still hold on to a 1970s era belief that nothing could happen to their kids at Disney or UNI or SW. Getting the point out that parents should be wary at these locations is a great message, no matter whether you are more worried that weird Uncle Fred is going to didlle your daughter.
This is exactly why it's important. People should still go and have a good time with their kids, but just be a little more cautious now knowing who is lurking nearby.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The not happening on Disney property was put out by the two hosts of the piece. They seemed to be trying to make that clear. It doesn't sound like PR spin - but more a case of just stating the facts.

Yes, because there is no proof that such behavior took place there. I am of the belief that it has many times (I do recall one case where a girl was ID'd being molested in a room at Port Orleans because of the decor a few years ago). ... There are plenty of sickos that work (and visit) the parks. About a decade ago, I witnessed a guy giving himself a hand in the showers at BB in full view of any child that happened by (no idea what age group he was into). By the time I was dressed and found a CM to report him, he was long gone and her response was something like 'Yeah, we get them sometimes.'' -- something I am sure she would have been fired for if her supervisors heard. Point is, these guys may not have abused kids at WDW. But maybe they did and we haven't heard that?

As to spin, Disney did everything it could to not take ownership. Say what you want, but UNI gave the appropriate response.

The report would have been more effective if it were more wide-sweeping and covered other businesses where the same thing is happening. Perhaps the theme parks were an easy target and headline grabber. Did CNN not want to take on the backlash of implicating schools, churches, day cares, camps, hospitals, and other daily essential providers?

I absolutely think the subject, like so many others, deserves far more in-depth reporting and more time than CNN has given it thus far. But let's be serious, Steve, the media has gone after schools, churches, daycare etc. I have never seen that type of report on the O-Town Big Three (and WDW is obviously the biggest offender pool simply because of its size) because they will do whatever they can to prevent it from happening.

lazyboy97o

The biggest stories regarding such organizations has to do with people actively sheltering and/or policies that are obviously lacking. It does make the news when Walt Disney World employees are charged with a sex crime. There has not been a major investigation because so far there appears to be no evidence that any of the theme park operators are actively sheltering those engaged in criminal activity and/or repeatedly missing prior offenses.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh. I was wondering why you bring this up so often. And I know, I can't ask that, because it makes me look like I don't care about the larger issue.

I bring it up because it is an issue people like to keep buried in the dark.

Can you define "fanboi" please?

If you are talking about adults who are fans of the theme parks in the extreme, and I suspect you are. Then who gives a flying crap, if they hook up with Imagineers? Why does it matter what two consenting adults get up to in their personal lives?

Disney has a known problem with some of its creatives walking that same Bryan Singer line. Now, if you believe that Singer (and his ilk, some who work for Disney) wait until that pretty wittle twink turns 18, then all's cool, right? But ... what if they don't?

Nemo14

'74 - you know we (or at least I) appreciate your contributions to this forum. The information you share and your own integrity has certainly opened my eyes more than once to what goes on behind the headlines. But I really am puzzled about your obsession with this latest CNN report. We all know there are predators working in theme parks, just like there are predators in schools, churches, scout groups, etc. And I dare say there are probably a lot more sicko guests in WDW than there are predatory CM's. And this is not new, by any stretch of the imagination. What is new is how readily they can make contact with kids today, thanks to the internet. And to me, that's where good parenting steps in. Disney, Universal, SeaWorld can and should certainly do thorough background checks on any hires, but if a person has no record, there's nothing to find.

The only thing I can imagine that has you so worked up about this is if the problem goes further up the chain of command, and if that's true, then by all means pursue it, expose it, and get it out of there.

WDW1974

Original Poster
From an editorial standpoint, working in the industry, I think this was presented fairly.. The facts were spelled out with little sensationalization (except on the behalf of the sheriff) and it was made clear multiple times that the crimes did *not* take place at the park. They set a reasonable, uniform time net and "caught" data from the 3 biggies in Orlando over that same timeframe.

A newspaper story would have had the luxury to compare this data to the workforce percentages of other industries, as well as compare it to the population as a whole, but this is a TV news piece: Time is precious.

Here's the deal: People are aware that teachers trying to sex up kids is an issue, because they see it on their local news in Anytown, USA. Same goes for Priests and (shudder) babysitters. The news of WDW, Universal, and Seaworld workers being caught up in these stings definitely would have been news to the rest of the country outside of Central Florida.

So many parents seem to let their guard down at "the most magical place on earth", and pieces like this help to reenforce the notion that there are bad people everywhere, even where you don't want them.

Now, as for these "To Catch a Predator" style stings? There's a fine line that Dateline crossed a few times (that resulted in convictions being overturned). Hopefully this Sheriff is able to toe the line. Locally, we have a very successful, multi-jurisdictional Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force that does a great job getting these predators behind bars without any shades of entrapment.

Great post. Makes complete sense. Just gave you a second 'like'.

WDW1974

Original Poster
'74 - you know we (or at least I) appreciate your contributions to this forum. The information you share and your own integrity has certainly opened my eyes more than once to what goes on behind the headlines. But I really am puzzled about your obsession with this latest CNN report. We all know there are predators working in theme parks, just like there are predators in schools, churches, scout groups, etc. And I dare say there are probably a lot more sicko guests in WDW than there are predatory CM's. And this is not new, by any stretch of the imagination. What is new is how readily they can make contact with kids today, thanks to the internet. And to me, that's where good parenting steps in. Disney, Universal, SeaWorld can and should certainly do thorough background checks on any hires, but if a person has no record, there's nothing to find.

The only thing I can imagine that has you so worked up about this is if the problem goes further up the chain of command, and if that's true, then by all means pursue it, expose it, and get it out of there.

Obsession is a bit of a strong word on a forum where we can have 211 pages in one thread on why Avatar is so right for Disney followed by another and another and another and another etc ...

I am very concerned about the welfare of young people and about who gets hired at Disney and UNI and SW, but mostly Disney because I know it best and am a shareholder. And, yes, there are more issues at play and, yes, I am trying to get them exposed.

It doesn't help when I feel like many here would rather discuss the Anna and Elsa meet and greet, but this isn't about me.

lazyboy97o

Obsession is a bit of a strong word on a forum where we can have 211 pages in one thread on why Avatar is so right for Disney followed by another and another and another and another etc ...

I am very concerned about the welfare of young people and about who gets hired at Disney and UNI and SW, but mostly Disney because I know it best and am a shareholder. And, yes, there are more issues at play and, yes, I am trying to get them exposed.

It doesn't help when I feel like many here would rather discuss the Anna and Elsa meet and greet, but this isn't about me.
What then are these bigger issues?

Nemo14

You're right, obsession is not the word I'm looking for, perhaps "concern" would have been a better choice. And I worked with kids for many many years, and raised a couple of my own, so I do understand caring about the welfare of young people.

And for the record, I have yet to wait in line for any meet and greet...:D

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

Well that certainly can't surprise you anymore.

As for the issue at hand it's not surprising but still upsetting. I personally believe these crimes to be among the most foul and disturbing. Given the size of the employee pool and the demographics of WDW, we all knew it happened. Now it is good that it gets attention because I'm sure it's something most people would like to see addressed for the better.

As for execs potentially being involved, that is even more disturbing and troubling. However, they did once employ a man who pretended he was in ography as the CFO, so I guess again nothing surprises me anymore in this industry.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Here is a bat crazy thought. Get to know your employees. Hire and retain people that are good managers and give them career paths at that level. People managers are positions you fill with people you trust and do more than just organize the schedule. Then you employer those people, and back them up with specialists they can consult with.

Actually know your employees and don't treat them like worker ants and you will have a far better shot at weeding out undesirables.

The other real problem is employment laws intended on protecting the employee. It becomes hard to fire employees who are showing tendencies but haven't actually done anything wrong. And rightfully so... You wouldn't want to lose YOUR job just because some enemy of yours makes some suggestive comments about you.

People have privacy rights - and unfortunately the guilty have those rights as well

Can we re-read this? Because, yes, the revolving door, CMs are just bodies mindset certainly adds to the perception, if not the reality, of the problem.

I remember a family member went to the Team Disney building once in the late 90s when they were on a hiring binge just to see what the experience was like. ''It was as if most of the people had gotten out of the Orange County Correctional Facility at 10 a.m. and were at Disney for jobs at noon.'' I was told. And that was when times were good and there was still some sliver of a cache about landing a Disney job.

But at the risk of going back to the Sixth Sense thread, I have a mighty fine Publix sandwich that is calling me!

Can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring here (actually, I can!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom