The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well that certainly can't surprise you anymore.

As for the issue at hand it's not surprising but still upsetting. I personally believe these crimes to be among the most foul and disturbing. Given the size of the employee pool and the demographics of WDW, we all knew it happened. Now it is good that it gets attention because I'm sure it's something most people would like to see addressed for the better.

As for execs potentially being involved, that is even more disturbing and troubling. However, they did once employ a man who pretended he was in ography as the CFO, so I guess again nothing surprises me anymore in this industry.

Just about to log off for the night ... I gotta comment on this tomorrow because I actually was employed by the man at one time (not at Disney, though) and I think he still owes me about $7,000 (but before that I thought he was terrific and had what it took to move up ... oops!!! Again, why you have to take these things seriously!)

PrincessNelly_NJ

I'm sorta fed up with some folks here believing I owe them anything (beyond being honest and showing integrity). Yes, I said I have some important news to share. Yes, I said it would come early this week. But guess what? Something bigger hit the media, something I believe is more important. And after spending a few hours defending the newsworthiness of pedophiles working in the No.1 theme park destination on the planet, I just don't have the stomach for breaking more Disney (or UNI) news on this site right now. I am sure when I put it up, I'll get plenty of 'that's it!?!!' remarks because while I look at the big picture, I realize many others do not.

I do not get paid to post here. Or for my time. When I, or anyone else for that matter, break news here, it isn't even mentioned on the main page because Steve only puts his info there. ... I do not appreciate the demanding tone that in some cases borders of bullying for info. I'll put it out when I feel like it and if you read it and appreciate it, that's great. If not, that's cool with me too. Again, this isn't my job.

Well, I'm not sure if my comment was part of the demanding tone you sensed. But I'd like to clarify...
In no way was I trying to rush, demand, or complain that you still haven't posted or started a new thread.
For myself and I think a few others, we are kind of just looking forward to actually having something worth talking about regarding Disney or theme parks in general. Good or bad news.
Of course a lot is happening in WDW but most of those things are years down the roads of opening.
I can only talk about Anna & Elsa, Magic Bands, and room occupany rates in orlando for so long... Just the thought of hearing "let it go" one more time makes my head hurt!
This thread is ready to be retired or revived with some actual news.
So please don't be offended by the constant talk of your future threads. Or our impatience, we know you owe us nothing. Just appreciate your insight and knowledge.

Chippy

I am very new here - never thought I'd reply anywhere, let alone on this subject. (Really I was just looking for travel and dining tips) However, I am a parent and I need to let WDW1974 this topic is appreciated and needed. My opinion is that Disney (and US and SW etc.)has a greater obligation to screen and monitor its employees as it choose to be in a business that carries an increased peril of attracting pedophiles. I had an expectation that the company was aware of this and would take extreme precautions. Not because they have big hearts (well, that would be nice) but because it is in their own self interest. Like putting up a fence when you put in a swimming pool. Protecting the neighbor is also protecting yourself from lawsuits. Seems like I was wrong. Now off to see if going to the first MVMCP is a good idea or goofy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can we re-read this? Because, yes, the revolving door, CMs are just bodies mindset certainly adds to the perception, if not the reality, of the problem.

I can't re-iterate enough... the law is actually against the employers here and continues year after year to get worse for the employer. Before too long, you won't even get to meet the employee as part of the interview..

jt04

That's not correct. And if people get into a lather that is entirely up to them.

It just isn't something I feel like putting out right now in light of recent developments. I have that right. I owe no one here anything (repeating myself).

Hmmm. Stayed home for the new thread I was sure would happen tonight. Suspense is too much. Can you at least rule out this is not Epcot resort news?

PS- I think you owe me something from that DTD bet years ago. Or perhaps that was enigma.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Some Spirited Thoughts/Perspective:

It would be very nice and helpful if everyone who doesn't have anything to add to a subject simply did NOT post in an OCD fashion. I get that some of you feel that the news that CNN reported on doesn't fit your definition of news and you are entitled to that opinion (even if the prevailing view in media says otherwise with outlets all over the globe picking it up). But what really isn't cool and shouldn't be tolerated is people coming in here and saying 'Nothing to see. Nobody should discuss it. Move on.''

That's not how news works, and it shouldn't be how a WDW-centric forum works either. You take the pedos along with the pixie dust.

Otherwise, it makes the site look like the rah-rah Disney can do no wrong forum that many Twits accuse it of being. ... So long as the media is talking about it and I feel there is something I can add, then I will. You don't like it? No one forces anyone to read this thread, although we know that it sure seems like everyone here does.

To clarify something, I won't say I'm responsible for the story (let Disney worry about that). I will say that I contacted CNN in early 2013 to discuss the story (and others) and thought Disney had killed it until very recently. I didn't know it was airing last night until Monday morning.

I realize that some people here want to not believe a word I have to say, which does make you wonder why they are reading my thread to begin with. To the bigger point here, I have met many forum members from this site (and others) in my 20 years of being part of the online Disney fan community.

But beyond my pal @Lee (who I would run into a burning building for!), I'd say a good two dozen folks from this forum know me in the real world. They know I'm the real deal. End of statement. There's no discussion to be had.

I'm sorta fed up with some folks here believing I owe them anything (beyond being honest and showing integrity). Yes, I said I have some important news to share. Yes, I said it would come early this week. But guess what? Something bigger hit the media, something I believe is more important. And after spending a few hours defending the newsworthiness of pedophiles working in the No.1 theme park destination on the planet, I just don't have the stomach for breaking more Disney (or UNI) news on this site right now. I am sure when I put it up, I'll get plenty of 'that's it!?!!' remarks because while I look at the big picture, I realize many others do not.

I have already said the news has to do with Disney and its business model going forward. This isn't an announcement of what will be in Star Wars Land or the next upcharge event. It's big picture stuff.

I do not get paid to post here. Or for my time. When I, or anyone else for that matter, break news here, it isn't even mentioned on the main page because Steve only puts his info there. ... I do not appreciate the demanding tone that in some cases borders of bullying for info. I'll put it out when I feel like it and if you read it and appreciate it, that's great. If not, that's cool with me too. Again, this isn't my job.

Finally, a comment on my comment about the PML. I am a semi-regular topic of discussion down there and I know this and who is doing this. I don't really care as it cements my opinion that some folks are simply obsessed with me and can't not read what I post or comment on it. And they feel safe there. That's cool. If it bothered me enough, then I'd say something to the mods. Beyond the labeling me as a homophobe, I am quite amused by it. But, no, I have no intention of paying for the privilege of talking to those who will not do it here. I drive enough traffic to this forum and all that does is help the site. I've done more than my part. I find it amusing because nowadays whenever you mention someone from another forum or Twitter who puts something stupid/ignorant/insane out there, there's an immediate cry for its removal. If we shouldn't take shots at Lifestylers who put stuff out for attention, do you think we should be taking shots at other members, members of our own community, down on the PML?

Like I said, some thoughts.

Oh, and I had a choice early this evening: spend two hours going back and forth with folks here or go see the new monkey movie. I saw the Apes. Some of the behavior did remind me of what I see online to be fair. But the film was pretty darn good, just had a nothing ending so to set the next one up in three years.
I get what you are saying about the PML in some respects. Sure, I'm sure it sucks to know that you are being discussed and in a place you are not able to post. But, as you point out, you are one of the main content providers for this site. You and the community you've fostered have the most visited thread(s) on the site. So when people who love this site start discussing the current goings on, you are bound to come up in the discussion. You also have a fairly distinctive writing voice, one which you are aware can be divisive. On top of that, there are some members in this thread, the only one you typically post in, that can be fairly combative to opposing viewpoints. On that point, you have no control over anyone but your own responses. So yes, I'm sure that there are folks that disagree with things you have said and want to discuss it, but feel "safer" in doing so outside of this thread (be it in the PML, private message, or other methods). Just like if I were to start a PM conversation with someone to blow off a little steam on a post I felt strongly about. Or picked up the phone and called someone. Or if you post and discuss non-member's tweets when they can't defend themselves. Which is something I've never had a problem with, because IMO if you put something out in the public you have implicitly given the right to have people discuss it.
So in that respect I agree with you that it's kind of hypocritical for one person to say you are wrong to post tweets while they are at the same time discussing something you have put out into the public.
If people out there don't realize that when they post something on the internet in public, other people might discuss that person or their post in another venue, then they don't quite get how the internet works. I know you do understand how the internet works, so you have to realize that by having the most viewed thread on the site opens you up for both positive and negative discussion, in both public and private.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Obsession is a bit of a strong word on a forum where we can have 211 pages in one thread on why Avatar is so right for Disney followed by another and another and another and another etc ...

I am very concerned about the welfare of young people and about who gets hired at Disney and UNI and SW, but mostly Disney because I know it best and am a shareholder. And, yes, there are more issues at play and, yes, I am trying to get them exposed.

It doesn't help when I feel like many here would rather discuss the Anna and Elsa meet and greet, but this isn't about me.

I have to say that while I don't always agree with you, you are generally entertaining and a kick. You are a very confident individual and often bring different perspectives on all sorts of topics. Since the CNN story broke your style has changed up. Yes, obsessed maybe strong however it is apparent you are bent on making this more about Disney and the other parks than about the men who were arrested in the sting or arrested in prior years.

It seems to have 'hit home' for you and it is interesting to read your posts on the topic because so many are out of character from the posts I've read of yours over the years. It makes me believe there is more than being a stockholder or wanting children safe. I am a stock holder too, have been since I was born long long ago. My Investments have not altered my opinion that the men in the sting and previous arrests are the focus of their awful acts.The arrested to me are the real news not so much if anyone can make this more about Disney than the men arrested as pedophiles.

Our views on the topic differ. It doesn't make me right or you right, as I stated before the Pope ticked me off with his Homily and it seemed to endear you to him, I am not so forgiving nor do I condone him requesting this of victims that were mere children at the time. Different perspectives. My son had to endure a guest showing his 'stuff' to him at the age of 8 in a queue at the MK during Gay Days years ago. He still remembers that day. Management went above and beyond for our family that day. I still believe it was all about that creep not Disney.
I tend to agree with others that Disney is more of a magnet for guest pedophiles than a magnet for creepity CMs on a whole. Typhoon Lagoon has had more than their share of issues with these creeps and it isn't limited to Children. While we were down in the spring a creepster attempted to assault a housekeeper in a vacant room in a value resort. We were not staying there but Disney got the word out for guests to be mindful.

We both seem to agree however on children's safety anywhere if it is in the Orlando area or elsewhere. And I guess we will have to disagree about the silly fun some of us have on other threads. Many of us, me included can enjoy a thread that is more light hearted, less stressful and enjoyable than the debate over CNN/Pedophiles. Outlets from Stress are good releases and those threads are just that. Again a different perspective.

I understand your attempts to get someone to bite on the items you wish to expose, it shouldn't be difficult since CNN and Law enforcement are all over the latest sting. But I've seen this all before as it took decades for someone to listen to the Children from our Parishes and their families. Abuse of children has been going on forever and sadly with all of the trafficking of children internationally I am pretty certain it will continue for some time to come if Disney gets tangled in this mess or not.

Be well.

stevehousse

Here's some info for us to chew on until @WDW1974 gets back with that new news.

Screamscape is reporting (with video from a news segment) that Disney took discussions to Norway and basically told them they either have to reinvest $9 million for a new, updated Norway ride, or TDO will take over the pavilion and turn it into A Frozen ride... :(

Please no...I am more than welcoming of a Frozen attraction, just not in the world showcase or Epcot...

Cesar R M

The article says she resigned a week after the molestation, not fired. I wonder if she would have quit sooner but stayed on for one more week-long cruise. Either way, her story seems to be supported by the security cameras and the fact the Disney worker was taken out of US waters even though the molestation happened in Florida.
I mean her original job, which makes a dent on her reputation.

Cesar R M

I witnessed a guy giving himself a hand in the showers at BB in full view of any child that happened by (no idea what age group he was into). By the time I was dressed and found a CM to report him, he was long gone and her response was something like 'Yeah, we get them sometimes.'' -- something I am sure she would have been fired for if her supervisors heard. Point is, these guys may not have abused kids at WDW. But maybe they did and we haven't heard that?

They clearly have this mentality of "I dont get paid enough for this" as they wash their hands?

Sped2424

$9 million is chump change to Disney, just pay for it yourselves!!!!!!! Cheap lazy bastards...........
I hate the words I am writing but if someone started a kickstarter for norway to pay that attraction off to keep frozen the hell out I would pay money. I love frozen but the last place it needs to go is epcot, however the validity of that story seems fishy. Why would tdo want to give up prime real estate, and at a 9 million dollar price tag? At the rate of which imagineering takes to develop a simple dark ride (mermaid 100 mill) I doubt that 9 million covers much.

Cesar R M

I hate the words I am writing but if someone started a kickstarter for norway to pay that attraction off to keep frozen the hell out I would pay money. I love frozen but the last place it needs to go is epcot, however the validity of that story seems fishy. Why would tdo want to give up prime real estate, and at a 9 million dollar price tag? At the rate of which imagineering takes to develop a simple dark ride (mermaid 100 mill) I doubt that 9 million covers much.
unless the plan was actually a mere bait and switch or similar to ransomware.
Where they take something, claim they are going to destroy/change/expose it if you dont pay.

also, 9 millions could do amazing cardboard cutouts ;)

Next Big Thing

How can Disney let this happen?
It's based on Trip Advisor Rankings. DHS beat out DL at 4 and 5.

And Discovery Cove makes complete sense being #1 being that it's a boutique park and all. Unlimited food and drink (including alcohol) with price of admission all while limiting the amount of people in the park? I'd assume any park that does that offers that would have really high guest satisfaction.

TeriofTerror

That's ridiculous, although I get what you are saying. Although, I am pretty certain that your local or national press has covered the fact that religious leaders often molest kids and scout leaders and teachers ad nauseum, but I have yet to see a major investigation into what goes down (no pun intended) at the theme park resorts in Central Florida.

I think it's important because people completely shut their brains off at said locations and still hold on to a 1970s era belief that nothing could happen to their kids at Disney or UNI or SW. Getting the point out that parents should be wary at these locations is a great message, no matter whether you are more worried that weird Uncle Fred is going to didlle your daughter.
While I maintain that my statement is no way ridiculous, I agree that people need to break out of the "Disney bubble" mindset. But that encompasses far more than just this topic.
*You can get robbed at WDW.
*You can get raped at WDW.
*Your child can get molested at WDW.
*You can get injured at WDW (particularly if you ignore safety warnings).
*You can get in vehicular (automobile/bus/bicycle/monorail/you name it) accidents at WDW.
*You can drown at WDW.
It may be Walt Disney World, but it's still Planet Earth.
But if there's a way to keep the masses from disengaging their brains (along with their manners) once they pass under those magical gates, no one has yet to discover it. I'd be grateful if they did. :)

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I bring it up because it is an issue people like to keep buried in the dark.

I don't agree. I think the fear factor for this type of thing is incredibly high right now. I doubt if the CNN piece (which was watched by 95k people in the 24-54 demo) moves that needle at all. Parents (I am one) are terrified to let their kids be alone in any and all situations. The world is so small now, that you hear about every single instance of this type of thing. And it's a constant barrage of it. A figurative waterfall of horror stories about kids being abused. Throwing one more story on top of it isn't going to do more then picking up your local newspaper and seeing the guy 2 streets down from you just got picked up on child charges. THAT moves the needle. Not telling me that 30 of 100k or whatever employees at Florida's largest employer have been arrested for it.

I don't come to WDWMagic to talk about the .005% of sickos who found a way to get jobs at Disney World. CNN wants to do a story about it, that's fine. Not sure why it needs 2+ days of discussion here though.

Disney has a known problem with some of its creatives walking that same Bryan Singer line. Now, if you believe that Singer (and his ilk, some who work for Disney) wait until that pretty wittle twink turns 18, then all's cool, right? But ... what if they don't?

I am going to be as delicate as I can here....

If true, that is disgusting. Unequivocally so.

Who is this known to? Actually, don't bother answering. This forum isn't the place to go with that information. And I suspect you know where the right place to take it is, and I hope you already have. Or at the very least, know that it has been brought to the authorities.

That'll be my last words on the topic, as I am being hypocritical enough by just posting this, when I said it shouldn't be discussed for 2+ days here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom