The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

FigmentJedi

Do you think Lady Thor will be much different?
Well, the difference is she's not being called "Lady Thor" or "Thorgirl" or "Thorette". Just plain old Thor, which is already an established title and has a better leg to stand on. The revival of the Captain Marvel book with Ms. Marvel taking over the long-vacated mantle ended up working out pretty well, as has the old Ms. Marvel name being taken up by a new character (a Muslim teenager with elastic powers).

Team books and "Legacy Characters" are the only way new hero characters can emerge or take a spotlight these days.

lebeau

I also just learned that in the new Spider-Man comics, Spider-Man is now black?

Sort of. Not exactly. I'd explain, but it's comics. "Ultimate" Spider-man is black. Regular Spider-man was recently killed and replaced by Doctor Octopus and then came back because... it's comics.

Do you think Lady Thor will be much different?

Thor will sell. It will probably sell big for a while based on the media attention. And then the status quo will be resumed before Chris Hemsworth appears in the next Marvel movie.

lebeau

Ironically instead of long flowing blonde hair, she'll have a boys regular hair cut.

I know you're kidding. But here's the artwork from the announcement for those who are curious.

BN-DR868_newtho_G_20140715120144.jpg

FigmentJedi

I also just learned that in the new Spider-Man comics, Spider-Man is now black?
Sort of. Not exactly. I'd explain, but it's comics. "Ultimate" Spider-man is black. Regular Spider-man was recently killed and replaced by Doctor Octopus and then came back because... it's comics.
To be precise, Ultimate Spider-Man is a separate universe, originally created as a means of letting new readers start fresh on these characters, modernize them somewhat, and spare people the convoluted continuity and give movie studios fodder for adaptations. It's where Samuel L Jackson Fury came from for example. Of course, Ultimate ended up getting convoluted and grimderp on it's own and has been in a downward spiral for a while. A couple years ago, Peter Parker died in battle in the Ultimate universe and a black-hispanic teenager took his place.

As for Doc Ock Spidey, there was a good old fashioned mindswap thing that left Peter supposedly trapped in Ock's body just as he was dying. Ock, now in Pete's body is compelled to fight crime his own extreme way and burns a ton of bridges with Peter's friends in the process and dates a midget. But Pete's soul survived I guess and managed to take control of his body again, but because Peter can never be happy, has to deal with all the bullcrap that happened when he was gone.

cw1982

To be precise, Ultimate Spider-Man is a separate universe, originally created as a means of letting new readers start fresh on these characters, modernize them somewhat, and spare people the convoluted continuity and give movie studios fodder for adaptations. It's where Samuel L Jackson Fury came from for example. Of course, Ultimate ended up getting convoluted and grimderp on it's own and has been in a downward spiral for a while. A couple years ago, Peter Parker died in battle in the Ultimate universe and a black-hispanic teenager took his place.

As for Doc Ock Spidey, there was a good old fashioned mindswap thing that left Peter supposedly trapped in Ock's body just as he was dying. Ock, now in Pete's body is compelled to fight crime his own extreme way and burns a ton of bridges with Peter's friends in the process and dates a midget. But Pete's soul survived I guess and managed to take control of his body again, but because Peter can never be happy, has to deal with all the bullcrap that happened when he was gone.

:confused:

Mike S

This is why I just stick to the movies. That story sounds so unnecessarily convoluted.

lebeau

I'd say watching superhero cartoons is a better way to experience some of these characters, though DC has a more consistent track record of quality in that department versus Marvel, which generally has the better movies.

The DC animated shows are top notch. Marvel had a good one in Avengers: Earth's Greatest Heroes. So naturally the cancelled it and replaced it with junk.

These days, there are so many places to get your super hero fix, it's no wonder people don't read comics. But nothing beats a good comic book for super hero stories. Movies will never be able to capture that no matter how great the effects eventually become.

FigmentJedi

The DC animated shows are top notch. Marvel had a good one in Avengers: Earth's Greatest Heroes. So naturally the cancelled it and replaced it with junk.

These days, there are so many places to get your super hero fix, it's no wonder people don't read comics. But nothing beats a good comic book for super hero stories. Movies will never be able to capture that no matter how great the effects eventually become.
Well Marvel Animation's problem these days is Jeff Loeb being an exec producer on the whole unit. Aside from having become a hack amongst comic writers, he is of the opinion that children are too stupid to follow an ongoing plot, hence the episodic structure and dumbed down writing of the Ultimate Spiderman toon and it's ilk.

lebeau

Well Marvel Animation's problem these days is Jeff Loeb being an exec producer on the whole unit. Aside from having become a hack amongst comic writers, he is of the opinion that children are too stupid to follow an ongoing plot, hence the episodic structure and dumbed down writing of the Ultimate Spiderman toon and it's ilk.

As a DC fan, Marvel can have him. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom