The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I tried to stop it before it began, but sleep got in the way. Also, some people felt that I was disregarding the importance of the topic, was being too PC, was supporting a corporation, or was just uncomfortable with the topic.

None of the above is true. I rightly assumed that there would be a lot of discussion, but no real solutions because no one wants to address the real problem - more unsupervised access to children via the internet, with a lack of tools to ferret out these predators without infringing upon individual rights to privacy.

I would much rather have seen a CNN expose about how the internet has made it easier for
predators to find victims, and what are they (providers) going to do about it? The police are trying, but as long as websites exist, these predators are going to use them.

Oh FFS. You're falling victim to hysteria. Kids are perfectly safe at WDW, more safe than they are in the rest of society.

Predators are everywhere. Don't blame Disney for a giant societal problem.

Both of these posts, are entirely, 100% correct.

PhotoDave219

The NBA is looking to DOUBLE the fees it gets from Disney under the next TV contract.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/15/nba-tv-contract-disney-turner-doubles-fees-espn-abc-tnt

Your cable bill will go up and its all ESPN's fault. All these record contracts for TV rights for Sports leagues? Well guess who subsidizes them? You do with your cable bill. Those insane LA Dodgers free agent signings? You help pay it, through your cable bill. All those Philadelphia Flyers contracts? (Owned by Comcast) You're subsidizing them twice if you have cable and a Universal AP.

So what does this all mean? You need to cancel cable. And you need to protect net neutrality.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
And no where in the story (or even in comments here, although I might have missed it) did anyone bring up the role internet providers play in all this. The common denominator almost all of these cases is the internet! These predators have free reign in cyberspace, and many parents forget that a computer is an open door to the whole world - including perverts and criminals. Too many minors have too much privacy when it comes to computer usage.

I consider internet providers as having more complicity than WDW, US, SW, etc. But no one wants to address the elephant in the room. Because, as with everything else associated with this problem, there is no simple solution.

I don't know that internet providers are the core problem, it is a combination of parental guidance, the web sites that host these hook up boards, and a little bit ISPs. Blaming ISPs is like blaming Comcast for content that TNT plays.

EDIT: Didn't see the calls to end the conversation before I submitted... Over & Out.

ABQ

On the topic of sports, Peter Gammons claims that Iger has a very, very good chance of getting in as the next MLB commissioner, if the league takes someone outside MLB. If internal, all bets are off.

ABQ

The NBA is looking to DOUBLE the fees it gets from Disney under the next TV contract.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/15/nba-tv-contract-disney-turner-doubles-fees-espn-abc-tnt

Your cable bill will go up and its all ESPN's fault. All these record contracts for TV rights for Sports leagues? Well guess who subsidizes them? You do with your cable bill. Those insane LA Dodgers free agent signings? You help pay it, through your cable bill. All those Philadelphia Flyers contracts? (Owned by Comcast) You're subsidizing them twice if you have cable and a Universal AP.

So what does this all mean? You need to cancel cable. And you need to protect net neutrality.
Really? All ESPN's fault? Wouldn't it be part ESPN, part Turner and for the most part, the NBA's fault?

khale1970

Uh single rider lines?

I ran into this at both WDW and UNI in June. It was generally just my son, my wife, and I so we often had that "extra seat" in a RV. On multiple occasions this led to me being paired with a child under 12 from the single rider line (in a two person RV) or having the child get in line to sit next to me in a larger RV. My response was to either make my wife change spots with me or, if the child was close to my son's age, having my son switch spots. I would have just bailed out of the line if it was all that could be done, because there was no way I was getting in a ride vehicle in that situation.

PhotoDave219

On the topic of sports, Peter Gammons claims that Iger has a very, very good chance of getting in as the next MLB commissioner, if the league takes someone outside MLB. If internal, all bets are off.

..... No. Hire a baseball guy. Give me Joe Torre. He'd be the best choice.

Iger would be somewhere around ..... well slightly hire than what my dog produced today but you get the idea.

Also, Peter Gammons is a great guy to talk with. Hardest working sports journalist Ive ever met.

lebeau

tumblr_inline_mgnnsyoxnW1qevg50.gif

ABQ

Oh FFS..... No. Hire a baseball guy. Give me Joe Torre. He'd be the best choice.

Iger would be somewhere around ..... well slightly hire than what my dog produced today but you get the idea.

Also, Peter Gammons is a great guy to talk with. Hardest working sports journalist Ive ever met.
If he got the job, I wonder what it would do with the Sunday night game as one could argue a conflict of interest. Then again, I think Selig got away with a few of his own in how the Brewers got moved to the NL, a new stadium, the All Star game, etc... I believe all while Selig's fam were part of if not the ownership of the team. And yup, I met Gammons at a Boston Glob (sic) event a number of years ago. Pretty good guitarist too!

FigmentFreak

In other news. Tuesday in July at 1:00. Frozen M&G 90, 7 Dwarfs 110, Space 90, BTM 60. Just on the local news at 1:00 UNI had fire and rescue get guests off of the Transformer attraction. Live local to Orlando and am not ashamed to say I have no idea what that attraction does, but glad no injuries were reported.

Edit: Rain down pour at 1:17 there goes the 7 Dwarf ride.

what's wait time for the Tangled bathrooms??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom