The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Californian Elitist

Why do we care if prison fixes the disorder? There are no children in a adult prison so unless they escape it is a non issue. I don't care that they have a mental issue that caused this behavior, they are predators that forever scarred the life of a innocent children.

Yeah that's harsh sure but you can't tell me that despite some mental disorder they didn't know what they where doing was wrong.

It's this type of thinking that allows affluent children to kill people while driving drunk and get off cus they are to rich to know better.

You missed the entire point of my post. I don't feel like going into that topic any further, so forget it.

seascape

I agree with all of the above. But it is easier to think that a stranger would do such a horrible thing to your child, rather than someone you trust, or may even love.

Posters are not angry about CNN airing the story, per se. It is a problem in our society that should not be swept under the rug, as in years past. Posters are just disappointed that the Disney name was used to attract attention - the CNN story did not mention that theses stings have been taking place statewide all over Florida, and many people who have much closer personal contact with children have been arrested. People who have access to the same children, for weeks and months at a time. Not a theme park employee who may, at most, see a child for a few days at a time.

And no where in the story (or even in comments here, although I might have missed it) did anyone bring up the role internet providers play in all this. The common denominator in almost all of these cases is the internet! These predators have free reign in cyberspace, and many parents forget that a computer is an open door to the whole world - including perverts and criminals. Too many minors have too much privacy when it comes to computer usage.

I consider internet providers as having more complicity than WDW, US, SW, etc. But no one wants to address the elephant in the room. Because, as with everything else associated with this problem, there is no simple solution.
Thank you for bringing up the internet. You are right and we should all know that. With the Internet parents have to take more responsibility because the law protects the Internet and does nothing to protect children. It's a much bigger problem and the providers, the telecommunication companys, cell phone companies and of course the cable companies, are more of a problem. They are a bigger problem than Disney. That is why I think this has no place on this site.

Californian Elitist

Not to mention that most of these pedophiles or sufferers of hebephilia were themselves abused when young.
Its a very nasty "chain" that extends constantly.

Exactly. I did a fairly extensive research study report of pedophilia/hebephilia, and case studies have shown that a pedophile was most likely sexually abused themselves or had something traumatic happen to them. Also, case studies have shown that psychiatric help has helped reduce sexual thoughts of children by a significant amount in pedophiles.

The Mom

Premium Member
Are we done with this topic yet? I feel I need to go watch something wholesome like RedTube just to cleanse myself.

I tried to stop it before it began, but sleep got in the way. Also, some people felt that I was disregarding the importance of the topic, was being too PC, was supporting a corporation, or was just uncomfortable with the topic.

None of the above is true. I rightly assumed that there would be a lot of discussion, but no real solutions because no one wants to address the real problem - more unsupervised access to children via the internet, with a lack of tools to ferret out these predators without infringing upon individual rights to privacy.

I would much rather have seen a CNN expose about how the internet has made it easier for
predators to find victims, and what are they (providers) going to do about it? The police are trying, but as long as websites exist, these predators are going to use them.

wogwog

In other news. Tuesday in July at 1:00. Frozen M&G 90, 7 Dwarfs 110, Space 90, BTM 60. Just on the local news at 1:00 UNI had fire and rescue get guests off of the Transformer attraction. Live local to Orlando and am not ashamed to say I have no idea what that attraction does, but glad no injuries were reported.

Edit: Rain down pour at 1:17 there goes the 7 Dwarf ride.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I meant to bring this up last night, but I got caught up in some family issues here. As I said before, I'm a retired teacher, and I've seen the gamut of these types of situations, some that I'll never forget. But I also recall 2 incidences where students accused a teacher and an administrator of molesting them, neither of which was true. The truth finally came out months later (in both cases it was a matter of retaliation), but in both cases it left some pretty ugly scars to some very good people. I also taught in a school once where male teachers were not allowed to comment on the length of girls' shorts or skirts, but when one female friend of mine tried to discreetly discuss the dress code violations with one of her students, she was immediately dragged through the mud as a lesbian, a pervert, a molestor, etc. to the point where she had to transfer to a different school district to get away from the reputation she had so wrongly acquired.

Like I said... The politically scrubbing we are having of all interactions means even innocent stuff can be taken as evil.

In the absence of stimulation everyone becomes hypersensitive. So the harder people try to remove anything 'bad' the more sensitive people get to the littlest things.

Sad to hear even the accusations left scars on your coworkers

DisneyFan 2000

All this talk about the CNN piece reminded of an urban myth we had around these parts claiming there are child kidnappers wondering the parks. Now I know where all the stories originated. I do agree though that all that can be said about the topic has been said. No, this is NOT Disney's fault that this stuff happens, YES, more can probably be done, and NO it's not up to us to figure out what it is and YES, this is far from being something isolated at theme parks and it's a shame the article (apparently, never saw it) didn't tackle the more sensitive issues like school, church etc..

rael ramone

I'm gonna say one thing and one thing only on this imporant topic:

While WDW may very well be one of the safest places for an adult with an all adult party to vacation, it's safe to say it is no longer the case with children.

If there are children in your party, the bubble does not exist.

There is a percentage of people who have this issue who chose theme parks as a place of employment specifically to be near children. The same is true for a percentage of guests, who don't have to fill out an application form or submit to an interview. It would not surprise me if the MK has one, if not several, people who fit this description within the gates at all times. You hope this important story (whether well done or not - I didn't see it) motivates all theme park operators to reevaluate if they are doing the best they can to protect their most vunerable guests.

But more importantly, you hope that the parents realize the real potential danger that exists there. That these people are within the gates. That they still have fun, but realize that they have to recognize the reality.

PhotoDave219

I'm gonna say one thing and one thing only on this imporant topic:

While WDW may very well be one of the safest places for an adult with an all adult party to vacation, it's safe to say it is no longer the case with children.

If there are children in your party, the bubble does not exist.

There is a percentage of people who have this issue who chose theme parks as a place of employment specifically to be near children. The same is true for a percentage of guests, who don't have to fill out an application form or submit to an interview. It would not surprise me if the MK has one, if not several, people who fit this description within the gates at all times. You hope this important story (whether well done or not - I didn't see it) motivates all theme park operators to reevaluate if they are doing the best they can to protect their most vunerable guests.

But more importantly, you hope that the parents realize the real potential danger that exists there. That these people are within the gates. That they still have fun, but realize that they have to recognize the reality.

Oh FFS. You're falling victim to hysteria. Kids are perfectly safe at WDW, more safe than they are in the rest of society.

Predators are everywhere. Don't blame Disney for a giant societal problem.

Lee

Adventurer
You, and a few others, know the person. Most of the minions don't know him/her. We must chalk it up to an anonymous source.
Well, there are sources and there are sources. Trust is earned around these parts. Earned through the quality and accuracy of the information provided.

Also, I like to think that after posting here for twelve ( :jawdrop: ) years, my vouching for something may carry a little weight.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Anderson Cooper is widely respected in journalism circles and the piece that was run tonight appeared quite fair (unless, of course, you don't want to hear about WDW -- and UNI -- hiring pedophiles, some who tried to arrange meetings with children while working at WDW on WDW property using WDW computers while being paid by TWDC).

If it's a school employee, a district doesn't say ''we employ 16,000 people so a few bad eggs are OK''. The church doesn't say it's OK to molest choir boys if only 11% of priests are doing it.

I find it remarkable that the Pope has taken more of a forward-thinking stance than what I am reading by some people here..

Quote:
Anderson Cooper is widely respected in journalism circles and the piece that was run tonight appeared quite fair (unless, of course, you don't want to hear about WDW -- and UNI -- hiring pedophiles, some who tried to arrange meetings with children while working at WDW on WDW property using WDW computers while being paid by TWDC).
This is the question I've repeatedly asked and has not be sourced. You are clearly stating that WDW and UNI are hiring pedophiles. Are they? Are they genuinely hiring employees that have pre-existing convictions and are on predictor lists as pedophiles? Seriously link me to the source 'cause I honestly cannot find where these firms did this. Yes, I know some while within their employment have been charged as pedophiles and others have been convicted but I cannot find a source that states as you do that they are hiring pedophiles.

Quote:
If it's a school employee, a district doesn't say ''we employ 16,000 people so a few bad eggs are OK''. The church doesn't say it's OK to molest choir boys if only 11% of priests are doing it.

As a school board member I have had two instances where I had to vote to place an employee on paid administrative leave until the courts did their thing. If we are to release a staff member without a conviction and they are found innocent which happens as @Nemo14 has posted, the school district would likely be sued for wrongful termination and rightfully so if we discharge an innocent employee. We remove the employee until they are found innocent or convicted. In the two cases I had to deal with one resigned, the other died of a heart attack within a week of allegations surfacing at the board level. We did what we could by removing the staff from the children and other staff members and then let the police and courts do what they are to do.

I am Catholic and in Northern Illinois. We have had more priests accused and convicted than most states.
The documents have been released and are online. I would caution the use of the Priest scandal as an example of some church administrators not being OK with pedophiles. It is widely known how the diocese moved these priests around rather than excommunicating them or calling the police. My parish had two priests in a row that were rotated into our tiny perish with this type of a background. One of these pedophiles baptized my son and I cringe to think of him holding my son. To the best of my knowledge Disney and Uni have worked with the police when arrests were made. I cannot say my Diocese in the Priest scandal did the best or all they could to protect the children. With it happening twice in a row in my parish I am very angry and I take issue with anyone insinuating that it was never OK with the Church Leaders to retain a priest they believed harmed a child. One of our priests had a church file over 200 pages documenting the his child/priest activities yet they chose not reported to the police and relocate the priests to continue on with different children. So I'm thinking choosing us Catholics as a good example of properly protecting children is not such a good example.

Quote:
I find it remarkable that the Pope has taken more of a forward-thinking stance than what I am reading by some people here.

" Francis said during his homily, according to a text released by the Vatican. “And I humbly ask forgiveness. I beg your forgiveness, too, for the sins of omission on the part of church leaders who did not respond adequately to reports of abuse made by family members, as well as by abuse victims themselves.” ny times

Yes the Pope wants forgiveness from the families and the victims. It is what HE wants. I'm not with you on that type forward-thinking stance you admire. He is attempting damage control nothing more, unfortunately the Priests damaged too many children. If the Pope asks for forgiveness and that makes him forward-thinking, if the men arrested in FL (when and if convicted) ask for forgiveness does that too make them forward-thinkers?

Last edited:

bhg469

Well, there are sources and there are sources. Trust is earned around these parts. Earned through the quality and accuracy of the information provided.

Also, I like to think that after posting here for twelve ( :jawdrop: ) years, my vouching for something may carry a little weight.
are the italicized sources the good ones or the bad ones?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom