The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

PhotoDave219

I quite respectfully and boldly disagree.

When something goes international on CNN, it is newsworthy even if it conflicts with world or World views.

And, frankly, knowing how things work in many divisions of the company this behavior is more prevalent than any of us (unless we have supporters of abusing kids here?) would like to think, I realize how light needs to be shined on this.

It isn't simply a news story if Disney encouraged or cordoned the behavior. The fact these people were arrested is the issue. And it is one at UNI and SW as well.

That's the biggest thing I think was missed. It's a giant problem everywhere. They didn't even mention the late May arrest of universal's Capt. America for sending nudie photos to a teen girl he met on the job.

Sloppy and bad journalism.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Child abuse of any kind is unacceptable, Disney's response was too soft but I don't believe TDO/Disney is complacant in any way with child predators as a company.

Their failure in my eyes was not holding the line and stating that child predators have no place working for Disney under any circumstances, they played it too soft trying to deflect.

John

There are definitely those who do not properly report themselves to local authorities and will trying to use an assumed identity. If it is found that simple lies regarding identity are able to circumvent any organization's inquiries then that is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

Absolutely! this is where a tough back ground check should have the ability to reveal these practices. We can never know but IMO the majority of these criminals simply have no priors or other red flags. My bet is that they have been slithering under the radar till they get caught. Theme park companies ( any other company for that matter) should not, can not let even one slip thru the cracks.

Travel Junkie

But Fidel's little bro is angry enough for me anyway!

He was in rare form today. Goodness. Whereas the WDW fanboys swoon over anything Disney does and will defend them no matter what, there is a vocal segment of the DLR fanbase that heavily criticize any change to DLR and will systematically tear into anyone who dare disagree with them. I agree with many of the points they make, but can’t possibly associate myself with their tone. They sound completely irrational and no way will Disney take them seriously as long as they act that way.

Cesar R M

This!!

The children are an excuse to push someones agenda. Not that this isn't a worthy cause but this seels like a story to keep people from leaving their homes.
I've seen that excuse used in many endevours to block things that have nothing to do with children!

for example.. claiming that P2P file sharing is used by "pedophiles" to "share sadistic ography" to make ISPS shutdown and throttle down the P2p protocols extensively(and in reality it was just to reduce piracy or reduce the costs of the associated isps).
That was in the news a year ago I think. during the rise of the SOPA and other ultra extensive and overabusive "anti piracy" movements.

*edit*
To clarify, the move I'm talking about is...using "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" excuse to scare society and citizens, and use it an excuse to tackle, block, destroy or ban something that has nothing to do with the children in the first place.
It is used as perfect excuse to pass certain things from people with a deep negative agenda.
This move is very efficient because lawmakers can instantly be labelled as "pedos" if they try to talk down these movements that use the excuse of "THINK OF THE CHILDREN". Thus people hardly try to block these type of dirty movements.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Except it wasn't. I haven't heard one person contradict something presented in that story as fact. Hell, they allowed Disney to make it seem like it was an 'insignificant' issue based on numbers.

As a former CM at the white collar level, one would think you'd be aware of some of the horror stories ...
Nobody is denying the incidents or that certain jobs would be attractive to those seeking to do harm. What is being disputed is your assertion that Disney et al. are in a position to significantly control the situation.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I disagree. It was a hatchet job with commentary from a headline grabbing sheriff known for only caring about sex stings and attention.

I was not impressed. It reaked of tabloid journalism in the worst ways.

Moreover, I want to know why this piece was spiked two months ago.

I don't agree. The sheriff is absolutely as you describe him, BUT that in no way takes away from the actions of the men arrested.

As to why it was spiked two months ago ... let's just say I know more about this and I am willing to discuss it with you in private but not here. The bottom line is Disney tried to kill this from the start ... and UNI wasn't exactly thrilled with it, either.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't think anyone is trivializing the issue, per se. It just seems that there was nothing surprising in the report. Pedophiles seek out jobs and hobbies that place them in close proximity to children, so you'd expect to find them working at theme parks and the like. I think the issue we were concerned with is how do you screen them if they've never been caught or convicted of any such crime?

I think the issue is people here have a problem with the story being reported. They are angry CNN ran it. They are angry I am discussing it.

The screening issue is absolutely a tough question, but if Disney screens potential CMs like it does Lifstylers and Bloggers that it uses as brand advocates, then it might be better to do no screening whatsoever.

John

I don't agree. The sheriff is absolutely as you describe him, BUT that in no way takes away from the actions of the men arrested.

As to why it was spiked two months ago ... let's just say I know more about this and I am willing to discuss it with you in private but not here. The bottom line is Disney tried to kill this from the start ... and UNI wasn't exactly thrilled with it, either.

Again, 74....I am a big fan. But to debate an issue where you have information that you know we as a group have no way of knowing isn't exactly very fair....is it Mr. Debate champion?:)

bhg469

I've seen that excuse used in many endevours to block things that have nothing to do with children!

for example.. claiming that P2P file sharing is used by "pedophiles" to "share sadistic ography" to make ISPS shutdown and throttle down the P2p protocols extensively(and in reality it was just to reduce piracy or reduce the costs of the associated isps).
That was in the news a year ago I think. during the rise of the SOPA and other ultra extensive and overabusive "anti piracy"

It gets used a lot and rarely is it used for children..

Voice of Disney sanity

Well of course they did because it implies that they were complicit but presents absolutely no evidence of that at all. Many people call that at HATCHET JOB.

PhotoDave219

We'll talk later then.

As for the actions of these people? Holy crap. They're pretty bad. I'm not sugar coating them.

I'm saying that for The level of story that this was, CNN didn't deliver what was warranted. You and I both know that if this was the NYT or WaPo or LAT( for example), they would have looked at 5-10 years of arrests And went from there.

Looking at this from my News Editor hat, this is jut a piece of a larger puzzle. You want to look at child sex a use in America, let's look at Disney. And the Scouts. And the Priests. And the teachers. And let's do a big comprehensive story that cannot be dismissed easily. There's a bigger picture here at play and they messed it up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom