The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Animaniac93-98

Moreover... It seems to be a society wide problem.

I'm sure everyone from truck drivers to government employees have been guilty of this and similar acts.

But they don't work for theme parks, so who cares? :rolleyes:

It's like Blackfish chasing after SeaWorld and ignoring the broader topic of animals in captivity.

WDW1974

Original Poster
And I think it bears pointing out that the vast majority of child molesters are either family members or close family friends of the victims. It's insane how high those statistics are. So if the point is to protect children and not to grab headlines, I'd say this news program was way off the mark. And when I think of it from that angle, I get pretty darned angry.
Edit: Don't take my word on it. 90% of child molesters are well-known by the child. Strangers aren't the true danger. http://www.childmolestationprevention.org/pages/tell_others_the_facts.html

How exactly was the report off the mark? And why would you get angry about it?

PhotoDave219

Of course there is. And as a nation we decided that it's perfectly OK.

Have we also decided that molesting kids is OK? Have certain members of this community decided it's OK?

Of course not. We should do whatever we can that is reasonable and rational to stop it.... And we really shouldn't make a multi-billion media corp the victim (that sorta is the Wall Street mentality).

Not in the least. It's not ok at all. You know that.

CNN didn't do their homework. They took spoon fed info from a notorious headline grabber and missed their chance.

lazyboy97o

Spirit all though I agree with everything you said I have one exception. There is an implication that Disney or even Uni has some way of knowing that these Cm's were predators before they were hired and hired them anyway. I don't think any company in the world that caters to children knowingly hires child molesters. Infact I believe someone who has been convicted of that crime has stipulations upon parole/probation can not be anywhere around children. Now I am not naive enough to think that it still doesn't happen but I would think Disney and other theme park companies wouldn't knowingly do it. You think differently?
How can a company know what nefarious things are on a potential employees mind? If we knew how to do that there would be a lot less of these crimes committed in the first place. You and CNN has pointed out a problem....how do we fix it
There are definitely those who do not properly report themselves to local authorities and will trying to use an assumed identity. If it is found that simple lies regarding identity are able to circumvent any organization's inquiries then that is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

Voice of Disney sanity

I disagree. It was a hatchet job with commentary from a headline grabbing sheriff known for only caring about sex stings and attention.

I was not impressed. It reaked of tabloid journalism in the worst ways.

Moreover, I want to know why this piece was spiked two months ago.
I agree. And the fact that you want to make this about Disney, Spirit, in my eyes makes me want to question your motives for the first time. Disney may have been selfish with thier response but that does not make them responsible for what a few perverts that worked for them did. Yes it is horrible. Should it be swept under the rug. No. But as critical as I am of Wdw I won't be a part of some witch hunt that seems to be designed to give WDW bad publicity that they don't deserve.

NearTheEars

Interesting report on CNN. I doubt I could have done better if I positioned the story myself. :D

I already see that folks here are looking to squash the topic as it makes them feel uncomfortable or because it has substance. That's not going to fly with me. And I don't care how many passive aggressive PML fans are whining to @The Mom or @wdwmagic. When a story reaches CNN, no matter what you think of the organization, it is newsworthy. Anderson Cooper is widely respected in journalism circles and the piece that was run tonight appeared quite fair (unless, of course, you don't want to hear about WDW -- and UNI -- hiring pedophiles, some who tried to arrange meetings with children while working at WDW on WDW property using WDW computers while being paid by TWDC).

My strong advice is if you don't like the topic, then simply stay out of it. Or go whine about it on the PML or Twitter.

The story was not a one-off. CNN has been investigating the matter since last year. Despite Disney's attempts to kill it at the highest levels, thanks JZ for not backing down, it ran. Tomorrow, a local congressman will be interviewed related to pending legislation meant to address the problem of pedophiles working their way into Florida's tourism industry, specifically theme parks in Orlando.

How anyone could or would advance the idea that this isn't topical on the No. 1 WDW-centric site is beyond absurd. I get Disney doesn't want people talking about it. I get that many simple-minded people don't want to believe a thing the media reports, or want to downplay things. But that's not how functional, thinking adults behave.

Did you notice the statement that Tom Schroder of UNI gave to CNN? It was short, precise and to the point. Zero tolerance. ''We deal with it immediately and permanently.''

Contrast that with WDW's response, when they were unable to kill the story. WDW came off defensive and offered up a rambling distraction about how small a percentage of CMs were actually charged with crimes against children.

I don't know about you all, but if it's your child that's a victim, do you really care what percentage of Disney's workforce that he, or she, represents?

Disney was looking at minimization here. The goal is to keep all our kids safe and not to trivialize the ones who are victimized, which is precisely what Disney's statement does.

The figures are bogus anyway. Disney doesn't employ 300,000 people at WDW. They employ a different number depending on season that is generally around 65,000. But I don't want to have a discussion about numbers. One victim is one too many.

The idea that no children were victimized by WDW CMs while on WDW property is the most insane bit of PR spin by Disney fans that I have ever heard. Some of the individuals shown were people who regularly had access to children and an implied level of added trust. A concierge? A security guard? A pastor? C'mon, use common sense.

If it's a school employee, a district doesn't say ''we employ 16,000 people so a few bad eggs are OK''. The church doesn't say it's OK to molest choir boys if only 11% of priests are doing it.

I find it remarkable that the Pope has taken more of a forward-thinking stance than what I am reading by some people here.

I look forward to seeing CNN's continued coverage and who ever else decides to tackle this delicate and ugly issue.

But if you don't think it's newsworthy, then call and complain to CNN. I'm sure they want to hear from you. But let's not try and kill REAL news and stifle debate because it is easier to turn brains off and discuss the lovely pavement treatments being installed at DD.

The reason I don't find it completely fair is that employees across the board in all industries, family focused or not, are dealing with this problem.

Using the theme park industry as its example is, however an easy way to draw a ton of attention to it.

But it is a much broader issue. A worldwide problem. And the worst part is, it's been going on for thousands of years. (Not meaning for that to be an excuse)

The real news will be in the follow up on the legislation.

I am very surprised, however, that TWDC did not respond in a similar fashion as UNI's "zero tolerance"

Cesar R M

I'll add "trusted adults" to that list, be it coaches, priests, teachers, or whatever.
Interestingly...one of my country's most trusted news source, reported that Pope Francis knowledged that around 3% of their entire clergy might be involved in child abuse.

lazyboy97o

I'm sure everyone from truck drivers to government employees have been guilty of this and similar acts.

But they don't work for theme parks, so who cares? :rolleyes:

It's like Blackfish chasing after SeaWorld and ignoring the broader topic of animals in captivity.
Such persons are definitely attracted to certain activities and professions likely resulting in a higher occurrence. Knowingly hiring sex offenders is different than negligence in hiring which is different than offering job roles that would be attractive to a pedophile.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think most of us can agree that the news report was pretty much what we suspected it would be. Only news because, this time (these stings are happening all over the state) it was in a county whose major employers are the theme parks. I didn't see any evidence that indicated that the Walt Disney Company encouraged or condoned this behavior.

So, unless someone has proof that this is peculiar to WDW, or that WDW is somehow complicit in this, I think the subject should be dropped. Thank you.

I quite respectfully and boldly disagree.

When something goes international on CNN, it is newsworthy even if it conflicts with world or World views.

And, frankly, knowing how things work in many divisions of the company this behavior is more prevalent than any of us (unless we have supporters of abusing kids here?) would like to think, I realize how light needs to be shined on this.

It isn't simply a news story if Disney encouraged or cordoned the behavior. The fact these people were arrested is the issue. And it is one at UNI and SW as well.

lazyboy97o

I quite respectfully and boldly disagree.

When something goes international on CNN, it is newsworthy even if it conflicts with world or World views.

And, frankly, knowing how things work in many divisions of the company this behavior is more prevalent than any of us (unless we have supporters of abusing kids here?) would like to think, I realize how light needs to be shined on this.

It isn't simply a news story if Disney encouraged or cordoned the behavior. The fact these people were arrested is the issue. And it is one at UNI and SW as well.
How would these companies know without the very sort of surveillance you so dislike?

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's exactly the reason I decided not to watch it. I don't care for yellow journalism.

Except it wasn't. I haven't heard one person contradict something presented in that story as fact. Hell, they allowed Disney to make it seem like it was an 'insignificant' issue based on numbers.

As a former CM at the white collar level, one would think you'd be aware of some of the horror stories ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom