The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

the.dreamfinder

Hi first time post long time lurker.

I don't understand how this is even a news story. So child predators work at Disney? Is this a surprise?

This has to be assumed with a company this large.

The only way this is news is if it is proven that Disney was complicit.

There is no evidence as such and this is NOT a news story at all.

I know some people here will go out of there way to bash on Disney for everything and it is well warranted in most cases but this is ridiculous.
It could be argued that they are complicit, but they can't be bothered with some plebs from the swamps of Central Fla.

Voice of Disney sanity

Ding di
Hi first time post long time lurker.

I don't understand how this is even a news story. So child predators work at Disney? Is this a surprise?

This has to be assumed with a company this large.

The only way this is news is if it is proven that Disney was complicit.

There is no evidence as such and this is NOT a news story at all.

I know some people here will go out of there way to bash on Disney for everything and it is well warranted in most cases but this is ridiculous.
agree 100%
Not to mention CNN has little credibility left. This chatter about it being on CNN makes it a big story is off base IMO. The head of CNN himself even recently stated that CNN was moving away from reporting and more into entertainment. They admittedly are less credible as a news source.

stevehousse

I dont think its fair to compare both images.

because:

a) the first photo are during active usage and during christmas (lots of decorations, the chairs are fully set)
b) the second photo looks like a "just after renovation" with zero details or tablets set.

as for liberty square.. anyone has comparison shots? because the ones posted in this thread are not comparable (different angles)

Thank u for sharing ur opinion and glad u agree with exactly what I stated a few pages back. It's not finished. I'm sure once it is "dressed" and finalized, it would look spectacular! For 25,000 membership, I would definitely cry foul and demand my money back if it was actually kept that way...

There is a theme park in grand island ny that just had a story a few weeks ago that a girl was touched on a ride by another guest.

This was odd because who let's their kid ride a roller coaster with a complete stranger.

I feel like the guests are probably a much much bigger issue.

I believe what u r referring to is a single rider line, which u can find at various attractions at any Disney park...LOL about 99% of the time u r riding next to a complete stranger, and so many families use it so they don't have to wait too long for the ride!

Lee

Adventurer
You can do background checks that are real (sorta like the checks Disney has done on some posters here).
Uh-oh...:angelic:

But to the main point, I agree this is a problem and without a simple solution.
Background checks? That's a no-brainer.
Polygraphs? I suppose, though as others have said they aren't perfect.
Online surveillance? Sure, but it'd be difficult to do.

A larger point, to me at least, is getting folks like Disney and Uni to take the first step, to admit that it is a problem. I get too much of a
Ostrich-man-head-in-sand.gif

vibe from Disney on this. The "but it's only a few" argument just doesn't fly.

Admit the problem. Face up to it. Be proactive, both publicly and privately. Ask your cast to help sniff these people out.

That's how you get out in front of this sort of thing.

Interesting piece. Well done helping to get this out there, Spirit. Andy V. should have had you as a guest tonight.

PhotoDave219

No, John. There was no implication in the story that Disney, UNI or SW knowingly hired people known to be pedophiles. That's what people may read in (I often have my words twisted here as people read in some nefarious intent that is in the reader's head, but not in mine.)

And your last point is the key really. CNN reported on a problem. That is why we have a free press, or why we are supposed to.

It isn't CNN's job to come up with a solution for anything. Nor is it mine, but if Disney (or UNI or SW) wish to hire me, then I'll be glad to offer my thoughts on possible solutions.

Well yes, they reported on a wide spread issue and did a poor job with it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The reason I don't find it completely fair is that employees across the board in all industries, family focused or not, are dealing with this problem.

Using the theme park industry as its example is, however an easy way to draw a ton of attention to it.

But it is a much broader issue. A worldwide problem. And the worst part is, it's been going on for thousands of years. (Not meaning for that to be an excuse)

The real news will be in the follow up on the legislation.

I am very surprised, however, that TWDC did not respond in a similar fashion as UNI's "zero tolerance"

Totally agree.

And its your last two sentences that are the most important.

I strongly suspect (and sorta know) that Disney spent so much time trying to kill the story that they failed to have a proper response when surpressing (sp?) the news didn't work for them.

lazyboy97o

No, John. There was no implication in the story that Disney, UNI or SW knowingly hired people known to be pedophiles. That's what people may read in (I often have my words twisted here as people read in some nefarious intent that is in the reader's head, but not in mine.)

And your last point is the key really. CNN reported on a problem. That is why we have a free press, or why we are supposed to.

It isn't CNN's job to come up with a solution for anything. Nor is it mine, but if Disney (or UNI or SW) wish to hire me, then I'll be glad to offer my thoughts on possible solutions.

My motives are very simple: to expose the ugly underbelly that Disney (and UNI and SW to lesser extents) have when it comes to issues such as this.

I'm honestly questioning this community when so many folks want to defend a corporation instead of asking if Disney (and, again, UNI and SW) did due diligence in hiring these people. Period.

And, yes, a company takes 'some' responsibility for the people it hires, especially if they engage in illegal activity from work.
Which is it? There can't be a real underbelly for the theme park companies if they are not complicit, even if through negligence.

Cesar R M

And, yes, a company takes 'some' responsibility for the people it hires, especially if they engage in illegal activity from work.

You're contradicting yourself.
You clearly said (and the news too) that noone of them were "caught" doing anything bad in the parks themselves.
They were doing that OUTSIDE with direct contact (like that employee offering "his services" to underage kids via online)

Trauma

I wouldn't go that far as I feel it is an issue that should be presented in a larger context.

It's an important story but was presented in a hatchet fashion.
I understand your point but how is this different from breaking a story that sexual predators work at Wal-Mart for example.

Just based on the pure size of the company I can say for certain they do with 0 proof what so ever.

Disney is limited in scope by the laws that prevent in depth and continuous probing into individuals backgrounds.

Unless Disney is making federal and local laws I fail to see the point of pointing the finger directly at Disney or universal.

lazyboy97o

That isn't for me to say. I'm not here to work damage control for Disney (or UNI or SW). I absolutely believe they could do better in screening, though, and have been told as much by CMs at all levels for years.
Then you are guilty of protecting such persons for not using your often discussed connections to bring such negligence to the public's attention.

Cesar R M

Ding di
agree 100%
Not to mention CNN has little credibility left. This chatter about it being on CNN makes it a big story is off base IMO. The head of CNN himself even recently stated that CNN was moving away from reporting and more into entertainment. They admittedly are less credible as a news source.
Sounds like they're moving in the same pattern as Foxnews.. trying to remove any "real value" from their news and keep the "opinionated news" as shield.

PhotoDave219

Unless your are suggesting that the rest of the story shows that disney was complicit I'm not sure how the rest of there "story" matters.

It's part of a larger story. Teachers. Priests. Scout leaders. Anyone who is involved with children, actually.... Disney's part of it is a small part of a much larger story.

Child sex abuse is reaching epidemic proportions and that's the larger world view. Just no one is putting all of the pieces together and going all-in.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's the biggest thing I think was missed. It's a giant problem everywhere. They didn't even mention the late May arrest of universal's Capt. America for sending nudie photos to a teen girl he met on the job.

Sloppy and bad journalism.

I wasn't aware of that. But you can't expect every incident to get in a report. You know better than most here how things often get cut from stories (or even inserted) by folks who didn't spend days, weeks or even months working a story.

The fact it is a problem everywhere means the media should do whatever it can to bring it to light, so it hopefully becomes a very rare issue. Not an every day one.

NearTheEars

Totally agree.

And its your last two sentences that are the most important.

I strongly suspect (and sorta know) that Disney spent so much time trying to kill the story that they failed to have a proper response when surpressing (sp?) the news didn't work for them.

Yeah, Im certainly not trying to defend a corporation here. I just firmly believe that this is HUGE, WORLDWIDE problem that needs to be addressed broadly. I think narrowing it down to the theme park industry is doing this major issue a disservice. I hope that this piece was just the beginning of a series of investigations that will address the overall issue.

PhotoDave219

I understand your point but how is this different from breaking a story the sexual predators work at Wal-Mart for example.

Just based on the pure size of the company I can say for certain they do with 0 proof what so ever.

Disney is limited in scope by the laws that prevent in depth and continuous probing into individuals backgrounds.

Unless Disney is making federal and local laws I fail to see the point of pointing the finger directly at Disney or universal.

You're taking this awfully personally.

I'm not blaming Disney, I'm blaming American society as a whole.

IMO this story is about the crime itself, not where they work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom