The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Cesar R M

It gets used a lot and rarely is it used for children..
Exactly! it is abused widely because every lawmaker knows the risk of blocking or going against such movements.
It could be career killer to be declared pro-pedo for blocking these abusive measures that have nothing to do with children!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit all though I agree with everything you said I have one exception. There is an implication that Disney or even Uni has some way of knowing that these Cm's were predators before they were hired and hired them anyway. I don't think any company in the world that caters to children knowingly hires child molesters. Infact I believe someone who has been convicted of that crime has stipulations upon parole/probation can not be anywhere around children. Now I am not naive enough to think that it still doesn't happen but I would think Disney and other theme park companies wouldn't knowingly do it. You think differently?
How can a company know what nefarious things are on a potential employees mind? If we knew how to do that there would be a lot less of these crimes committed in the first place. You and CNN has pointed out a problem....how do we fix it

No, John. There was no implication in the story that Disney, UNI or SW knowingly hired people known to be pedophiles. That's what people may read in (I often have my words twisted here as people read in some nefarious intent that is in the reader's head, but not in mine.)

And your last point is the key really. CNN reported on a problem. That is why we have a free press, or why we are supposed to.

It isn't CNN's job to come up with a solution for anything. Nor is it mine, but if Disney (or UNI or SW) wish to hire me, then I'll be glad to offer my thoughts on possible solutions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As a parent of young kids this type of behavior is particularly disturbing. I know that places like theme parks where kids gather are favorable grounds for these scum bags. It's disgusting and is a huge deal to me. That being said I still feel the best defense for a parent is to be extra diligent and protect your kids. It sucks that I have to live my life that way, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I would never leave my kids unsupervised with a stranger at WDW or anywhere else for that matter. I don't think WDW is any more or less safe than a similar environment like Universal or Sea World or my local zoo.

This particular story just confirms that these type of people exist and work at places where people tend to trust strangers more than they probably should. I didn't really think a lot of new information was revealed and the online headline "Theme Park employees caught in sex sting" seems a bit sensationalized. When reading that a lot of people would probably assume they were actually caught at the theme park. They did state early on that none of the cases involved children visiting the theme parks.

WDW1974

Original Poster
And respectfully, I add.

I'm not saying it's not an important story, they just fouled it off. They did a poor job with it. Poorly reported and poorly researched.

A six month sample size? That's not large enough. Look at the past five years and you have a story if it pans out. Christ, they had an extra two months and they couldn't do anything with it.

Moreover... It seems to be a society wide problem. Priests, Scout Leaders, Teachers, etc. it could be epidemic but they're too interested in grabbing ratings than doing it right.

They actually went all the way back to 2006, not six months. I have suspicions on why they used that date, but I need to see how they follow up on it.

bhg469

As a parent of young kids this type of behavior is particularly disturbing. I know that places like theme parks where kids gather are favorable grounds for these scum bags. It's disgusting and is a huge deal to me. That being said I still feel the best defense for a parent is to be extra diligent and protect your kids. It sucks that I have to live my life that way, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I would never leave my kids unsupervised with a stranger at WDW or anywhere else for that matter. I don't think WDW is any more or less safe than a similar environment like Universal or Sea World or my local zoo.

This particular story just confirms that these type of people exist and work at places where people tend to trust strangers more than they probably should. I didn't really think a lot of new information was revealed and the online headline "Theme Park employees caught in sex sting" seems a bit sensationalized. When reading that a lot of people would probably assume they were actually caught at the theme park. They did state early on that none of the cases involved children visiting the theme parks.
There is a theme park in grand island ny that just had a story a few weeks ago that a girl was touched on a ride by another guest.

This was odd because who let's their kid ride a roller coaster with a complete stranger.

I feel like the guests are probably a much much bigger issue.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Well of course they did because it implies that they were complicit but presents absolutely no evidence of that at all. Many people call that at HATCHET JOB.

I somewhat agree with this, they were very clear that several USF/IoA and SW employees were caught but did make a continuous effort to point out WDW employees that were snagged in the sting operations. As Comcast is a major cable company that carries CNN I wonder of they made a decision to include them as a way to appear more "fair and balanced" but as ABC/Disney is a direct competitor it was an easy choice to focus on them.

Personally, Disney should have had a much stronger response reflecting a zero tolerance policy as Univeral/Comcast did but they did not and I took exception to their excuses. There may be more they can do but what and what level of employee surveillance or monitoring is acceptable to protect children from predators and shouldn't these same requirements be applied to all employer's that have a high level of children as customers.

Trauma

Hi first time post long time lurker.

I don't understand how this is even a news story. So child predators work at Disney? Is this a surprise?

This has to be assumed with a company this large.

The only way this is news is if it is proven that Disney was complicit.

There is no evidence as such and this is NOT a news story at all.

I know some people here will go out of there way to bash on Disney for everything and it is well warranted in most cases but this is ridiculous.

maxairmike

I think the issue is people here have a problem with the story being reported. They are angry CNN ran it. They are angry I am discussing it.

The screening issue is absolutely a tough question, but if Disney screens potential CMs like it does Lifstylers and Bloggers that it uses as brand advocates, then it might be better to do no screening whatsoever.

Don't have any problem at all with anything you said in the first line, I just didn't appreciate the way they framed it, even though I knew that's how they would do it. I'm more surprised you seem to be in favor of polygraphs as a hiring measure considering all the negatives against it that have been quite solidly proven. Heck, I'd never land a job I had to do a polygraph for just because of the kind of person I am, I would be sending those needle points flying all over that graph paper even if I were reading a word for word script of my life story.

the.dreamfinder

I think the issue is people here have a problem with the story being reported. They are angry CNN ran it. They are angry I am discussing it.

The screening issue is absolutely a tough question, but if Disney screens potential CMs like it does Lifstylers and Bloggers that it uses as brand advocates, then it might be better to do no screening whatsoever.
I'm surprised they didn't do more digging there. "Screening" can easily be used as a throwaway tool to get critics to shut up. It would behoove AC360 if they spent more time addressing this so they can really dam the company.
They actually went all the way back to 2006, not six months. I have suspicions on why they used that date, but I need to see how they follow up on it.
Polk County Sheriff Garry Judd?

John

No, John. There was no implication in the story that Disney, UNI or SW knowingly hired people known to be pedophiles. That's what people may read in (I often have my words twisted here as people read in some nefarious intent that is in the reader's head, but not in mine.)

And your last point is the key really. CNN reported on a problem. That is why we have a free press, or why we are supposed to.

It isn't CNN's job to come up with a solution for anything. Nor is it mine, but if Disney (or UNI or SW) wish to hire me, then I'll be glad to offer my thoughts on possible solutions.

Again I will take exception with what you said, I will not try to debate with you as I am ill equipped. What I will say is that its EVERYONES responsibility to protect our children. Is it a news organizations responsibility? No, their job is to report the news. But there are certain ethical and moral issues we need to address as a nation, where the only reward we receive is the comfort of knowing that our effort was noble.

PhotoDave219

Hi first time post long time lurker.

I don't understand how this is even a news story. So child predators work at Disney? Is this a surprise?

This has to be assumed with a company this large.

The only way this is news is if it is proven that Disney was complicit.

There is no evidence as such and this is NOT a news story at all.

I know some people here will go out of there way to bash on Disney for everything and it is well warranted in most cases but this is ridiculous.

I wouldn't go that far as I feel it is an issue that should be presented in a larger context.

It's an important story but was presented in a hatchet fashion.

PhotoDave219

I'm surprised they didn't do more digging there. "Screening" can easily be used as a throwaway tool to get critics to shut up. It would behoove AC360 if they spent more time addressing this so they can really dam the company.

Polk County Sheriff Garry Judd?

Grady. But yes. His credibility is lacking with many journalists, myself included.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree. And the fact that you want to make this about Disney, Spirit, in my eyes makes me want to question your motives for the first time. Disney may have been selfish with thier response but that does not make them responsible for what a few perverts that worked for them did. Yes it is horrible. Should it be swept under the rug. No. But as critical as I am of Wdw I won't be a part of some witch hunt that seems to be designed to give WDW bad publicity that they don't deserve.

My motives are very simple: to expose the ugly underbelly that Disney (and UNI and SW to lesser extents) have when it comes to issues such as this.

I'm honestly questioning this community when so many folks want to defend a corporation instead of asking if Disney (and, again, UNI and SW) did due diligence in hiring these people. Period.

And, yes, a company takes 'some' responsibility for the people it hires, especially if they engage in illegal activity from work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom