The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

PhotoDave219

Interesting report on CNN. I doubt I could have done better if I positioned the story myself. :D

I already see that folks here are looking to squash the topic as it makes them feel uncomfortable or because it has substance. That's not going to fly with me. And I don't care how many passive aggressive PML fans are whining to @The Mom or @wdwmagic. When a story reaches CNN, no matter what you think of the organization, it is newsworthy. Anderson Cooper is widely respected in journalism circles and the piece that was run tonight appeared quite fair (unless, of course, you don't want to hear about WDW -- and UNI -- hiring pedophiles, some who tried to arrange meetings with children while working at WDW on WDW property using WDW computers while being paid by TWDC).

My strong advice is if you don't like the topic, then simply stay out of it. Or go whine about it on the PML or Twitter.

The story was not a one-off. CNN has been investigating the matter since last year. Despite Disney's attempts to kill it at the highest levels, thanks JZ for not backing down, it ran. Tomorrow, a local congressman will be interviewed related to pending legislation meant to address the problem of pedophiles working their way into Florida's tourism industry, specifically theme parks in Orlando.

How anyone could or would advance the idea that this isn't topical on the No. 1 WDW-centric site is beyond absurd. I get Disney doesn't want people talking about it. I get that many simple-minded people don't want to believe a thing the media reports, or want to downplay things. But that's not how functional, thinking adults behave.

Did you notice the statement that Tom Schroder of UNI gave to CNN? It was short, precise and to the point. Zero tolerance. ''We deal with it immediately and permanently.''

Contrast that with WDW's response, when they were unable to kill the story. WDW came off defensive and offered up a rambling distraction about how small a percentage of CMs were actually charged with crimes against children.

I don't know about you all, but if it's your child that's a victim, do you really care what percentage of Disney's workforce that he, or she, represents?

Disney was looking at minimization here. The goal is to keep all our kids safe and not to trivialize the ones who are victimized, which is precisely what Disney's statement does.

The figures are bogus anyway. Disney doesn't employ 300,000 people at WDW. They employ a different number depending on season that is generally around 65,000. But I don't want to have a discussion about numbers. One victim is one too many.

The idea that no children were victimized by WDW CMs while on WDW property is the most insane bit of PR spin by Disney fans that I have ever heard. Some of the individuals shown were people who regularly had access to children and an implied level of added trust. A concierge? A security guard? A pastor? C'mon, use common sense.

If it's a school employee, a district doesn't say ''we employ 16,000 people so a few bad eggs are OK''. The church doesn't say it's OK to molest choir boys if only 11% of priests are doing it.

I find it remarkable that the Pope has taken more of a forward-thinking stance than what I am reading by some people here.

I look forward to seeing CNN's continued coverage and who ever else decides to tackle this delicate and ugly issue.

But if you don't think it's newsworthy, then call and complain to CNN. I'm sure they want to hear from you. But let's not try and kill REAL news and stifle debate because it is easier to turn brains off and discuss the lovely pavement treatments being installed at DD.

I disagree. It was a hatchet job with commentary from a headline grabbing sheriff known for only caring about sex stings and attention.

I was not impressed. It reaked of tabloid journalism in the worst ways.

Moreover, I want to know why this piece was spiked two months ago.

Nemo14

Interesting report on CNN. I doubt I could have done better if I positioned the story myself. :D

I already see that folks here are looking to squash the topic as it makes them feel uncomfortable or because it has substance. That's not going to fly with me. And I don't care how many passive aggressive PML fans are whining to @The Mom or @wdwmagic. When a story reaches CNN, no matter what you think of the organization, it is newsworthy. Anderson Cooper is widely respected in journalism circles and the piece that was run tonight appeared quite fair (unless, of course, you don't want to hear about WDW -- and UNI -- hiring pedophiles, some who tried to arrange meetings with children while working at WDW on WDW property using WDW computers while being paid by TWDC).

My strong advice is if you don't like the topic, then simply stay out of it. Or go whine about it on the PML or Twitter.

The story was not a one-off. CNN has been investigating the matter since last year. Despite Disney's attempts to kill it at the highest levels, thanks JZ for not backing down, it ran. Tomorrow, a local congressman will be interviewed related to pending legislation meant to address the problem of pedophiles working their way into Florida's tourism industry, specifically theme parks in Orlando.

How anyone could or would advance the idea that this isn't topical on the No. 1 WDW-centric site is beyond absurd. I get Disney doesn't want people talking about it. I get that many simple-minded people don't want to believe a thing the media reports, or want to downplay things. But that's not how functional, thinking adults behave.

Did you notice the statement that Tom Schroder of UNI gave to CNN? It was short, precise and to the point. Zero tolerance. ''We deal with it immediately and permanently.''

Contrast that with WDW's response, when they were unable to kill the story. WDW came off defensive and offered up a rambling distraction about how small a percentage of CMs were actually charged with crimes against children.

I don't know about you all, but if it's your child that's a victim, do you really care what percentage of Disney's workforce that he, or she, represents?

Disney was looking at minimization here. The goal is to keep all our kids safe and not to trivialize the ones who are victimized, which is precisely what Disney's statement does.

The figures are bogus anyway. Disney doesn't employ 300,000 people at WDW. They employ a different number depending on season that is generally around 65,000. But I don't want to have a discussion about numbers. One victim is one too many.

The idea that no children were victimized by WDW CMs while on WDW property is the most insane bit of PR spin by Disney fans that I have ever heard. Some of the individuals shown were people who regularly had access to children and an implied level of added trust. A concierge? A security guard? A pastor? C'mon, use common sense.

If it's a school employee, a district doesn't say ''we employ 16,000 people so a few bad eggs are OK''. The church doesn't say it's OK to molest choir boys if only 11% of priests are doing it.

I find it remarkable that the Pope has taken more of a forward-thinking stance than what I am reading by some people here.

I look forward to seeing CNN's continued coverage and who ever else decides to tackle this delicate and ugly issue.

But if you don't think it's newsworthy, then call and complain to CNN. I'm sure they want to hear from you. But let's not try and kill REAL news and stifle debate because it is easier to turn brains off and discuss the lovely pavement treatments being installed at DD.

I don't think anyone is trivializing the issue, per se. It just seems that there was nothing surprising in the report. Pedophiles seek out jobs and hobbies that place them in close proximity to children, so you'd expect to find them working at theme parks and the like. I think the issue we were concerned with is how do you screen them if they've never been caught or convicted of any such crime?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Simply being a newsworthy situation does not place the situation within certain actors' control.

ProfSavage

L don't think anyone is trivializing the issue, per se. It just seems that there was nothing surprising in the report. Pedophiles seek out jobs and hobbies that place them in close proximity to children, so you'd expect to find them working at theme parks and the like. I think the issue we were concerned with is how do you screen them if they've never been caught or convicted of any such crime?

I work for a non-profit that caters to youth, this is something we have known for a very long time...

Nemo14

I disagree. It was a hatchet job with commentary from a headline grabbing sheriff known for only caring about sex stings and attention.

I was not impressed. It reaked of tabloid journalism in the worst ways.

Moreover, I want to know why this piece was spiked two months ago.

L don't think anyone is trivializing the issue, per se. It just seems that there was nothing surprising in the report. Pedophiles seek out jobs and hobbies that place them in close proximity to children, so you'd expect to find them working at theme parks and the like. I think the issue we were concerned with is how do you screen them if they've never been caught or convicted of any such crime?

Simple being a newsworthy situation does not place the situation within certain actors' control.

Imagine that - 3 of us calmly discussing and disagreeing with Spirit. Where's jt now?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've been to country clubs and large public restaurants in smaller midwest cities that make that new Club 33 dining area look like a McMansion dining room turned diner. Holy crap that is ugly.

I don't disagree and this is a pure money grab by Disney, largely because there's a huge amount of Lifestylers with money who want to feel important and will pony up for a membership, but there are so many other issues to get angry about that I can't muster much. But Fidel's little bro is angry enough for me anyway!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes. At the risk of sounding like a company apologist, I think Disney is in a tough spot. If the person has never been convicted of a crime, how is Disney expected to know/suspect? You can't assume someone is sick just because they want to have a job around children... right?

You can do background checks that are real (sorta like the checks Disney has done on some posters here). You can fight for legislation that would allow polygraph tests instead of fighting to keep destination resorts off of SoBe. You can monitor them better. And when confronted with the issue you can own up and not act like a victim with a $150 billion market cap. Right?

lazyboy97o

I work for a non-profit that caters to youth, this is something we have known for a very long time...
I'm a retired teacher - nothing surprises me.
It seems a lot of these stories go back to making sure people are aware of red flags and that it is never wise to arrange meeting people one does not physically know in a world where there has been a paradigm shift regarding personal relationships.

You can do background checks that are real (sorta like the checks Disney has done on some posters here). You can fight for legislation that would allow polygraph tests instead of fighting to keep destination resorts off of SoBe. You can monitor them better. And when confronted with the issue you can own up and not act like a victim with a $150 billion market cap. Right?
All of this has been discussed. Background checks only show what can be shown, and most definitely not future actions. Polygraphs are easy to beat. Monitoring would require NSA+ levels of surveillance.

Publix Supermarkets used to use them. Why can't Disney (and UNI and SW)?
Because they're about as useful as asking the tea leaves.

John

But if you don't think it's newsworthy, then call and complain to CNN. I'm sure they want to hear from you. But let's not try and kill REAL news and stifle debate because it is easier to turn brains off and discuss the lovely pavement treatments being installed at DD.[/QUOT

This particular subject is near and dear to me, why? because believe it is every ones job to protect children from these atrocities. I have worked with children for years in a past life. These people that are a pariah on our children give those of us who have done wonderful work a bad name.

Spirit all though I agree with everything you said I have one exception. There is an implication that Disney or even Uni has some way of knowing that these Cm's were predators before they were hired and hired them anyway. I don't think any company in the world that caters to children knowingly hires child molesters. Infact I believe someone who has been convicted of that crime has stipulations upon parole/probation can not be anywhere around children. Now I am not naive enough to think that it still doesn't happen but I would think Disney and other theme park companies wouldn't knowingly do it. You think differently?
How can a company know what nefarious things are on a potential employees mind? If we knew how to do that there would be a lot less of these crimes committed in the first place. You and CNN has pointed out a problem....how do we fix it

RSoxNo1

Most large companies will do an initial background check and then continue to do the background check after hiring. I have seen employees terminated within 2 months of their hire date for a background check infraction.

Cesar R M

Before
Bshr86mCUAAKzir.jpg:large

After:
BshsC4KCYAAzD25.jpg:large

I dont think its fair to compare both images.

because:

a) the first photo are during active usage and during christmas (lots of decorations, the chairs are fully set)
b) the second photo looks like a "just after renovation" with zero details or tablets set.

as for liberty square.. anyone has comparison shots? because the ones posted in this thread are not comparable (different angles)

PhotoDave219

Imagine that - 3 of us calmly discussing and disagreeing with Spirit. Where's jt now?

And respectfully, I add.

I'm not saying it's not an important story, they just fouled it off. They did a poor job with it. Poorly reported and poorly researched.

A six month sample size? That's not large enough. Look at the past five years and you have a story if it pans out. Christ, they had an extra two months and they couldn't do anything with it.

Moreover... It seems to be a society wide problem. Priests, Scout Leaders, Teachers, etc. it could be epidemic but they're too interested in grabbing ratings than doing it right.

Animaniac93-98

"fanbois" have now power to hire or fire WDC employees. Without breaching privacy laws, criminal background checks is the most Disney can do to prevent this from happening. People like to play up these stories when they involve companies that directly cater to children.

Stating these facts is hardly "turning off your brain".

Fantasmicguy

I hate to argue ( most your points are correct) but polygraphs are not accurate.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There's nothing they actually can - or should do. There's more crime on Wall Street.

Of course there is. And as a nation we decided that it's perfectly OK.

Have we also decided that molesting kids is OK? Have certain members of this community decided it's OK?

Of course not. We should do whatever we can that is reasonable and rational to stop it.... And we really shouldn't make a multi-billion media corp the victim (that sorta is the Wall Street mentality).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom