The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

PrincessNelly_NJ

Anyone validate the rumor that last night near Gringrotts close they were having screen problems but were letting people on the ride anyway just to get them out the door? My source is working today and can't confirm.
Idk, I seen lots of people upset that they evacuated the queue line but handed out return express passes for the next day.
However, about 20 minutes after park close, I seen people posting that they were still in line.

spacemt354

Chili's
I wouldn't say that. When Cars Land opened at DCA, the lines didn't compare to the lines seen for Potter, no way in hell, and people in the Disney community had been looking forward to Cars Land for five years. Potter is insanely popular and the fans come out when the time calls for it, which is what's happening with Universal. It's not just because it's a new attraction.

I think it also has to do with the type of IP and what age range is the target audience.

People my age grew up with the Harry Potter books and are used to the midnight release of both the books and the films. These types of guests thrive on being the *first* one to witness their favorite franchise's new addition, whether it be a book, film, or theme park land.

For Cars Land, its target audience was families, who might not necessarily want to walk around in a crowded area, just so that they can be there on opening day. Harry Potter fans are a different genre of fan, which is why I think these opening days are so crowded.

That being said, Cars Land was still pretty crowded on opening day...

DCA_0836-900x600.jpg

Rope-drop.

m5xxc1-b78971121z.120120620165722000g9f18he1d.2.jpg

Cars Land.

7376020040_464fd1f511.jpg

Radiator Springs Racers line.

Californian Elitist

I think it also has to do with the type of IP and what age range is the target audience.

People my age grew up with the Harry Potter books and are used to the midnight release of both the books and the films. These types of guests thrive on being the *first* one to witness their favorite franchise's new addition, whether it be a book, film, or theme park land.

For Cars Land, its target audience was families, who might not necessarily want to walk around in a crowded area, just so that they can be there on opening day. Harry Potter fans are a different genre of fan, which is why I think these opening days are so crowded.

That being said, Cars Land was still pretty crowded on opening day...

DCA_0836-900x600.jpg

Rope-drop.

m5xxc1-b78971121z.120120620165722000g9f18he1d.2.jpg

Cars Land.

7376020040_464fd1f511.jpg

Radiator Springs Racers line.

Oh, it was definitely crowded. But there weren't hour-long waits just to get in the park.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Not a chance it beats Avatar. Avatar had the enviable benefit of being the first big 3D film, arguably the biggest change in big screen entertainment in decades.

Right place, right time.

SW might not beat Avatar in strict box office revenue but I am willing to bet EP7 will eclipse it in total take including merchandising and home video sales. SW merch is an absolute juggernaut right now and has been since the 70s, which is part of Disney's strategy for generating more revenue. Just lightsaber sales will eclipse HP merchandise sales worldwide, boys love them to death and I mean death, they are inexpensive and are integral to the movies which greatly enhance the role play that is so important.

Avatar will still be #1 BO worldwide but SW will be top 5, maybe be top 2 or 3 but will absolutely kill it with merchandising and tie-in revenue. Disney is second to none at leveraging IP for retail masses, SW is built for it and the stream will not end for five years with a new movie coming out each December.

Tony Perkis

SW might not beat Avatar in strict box office revenue but I am willing to bet EP7 will eclipse it in total take including merchandising and home video sales. SW merch is an absolute juggernaut right now and has been since the 70s, which is part of Disney's strategy for generating more revenue. Just lightsaber sales will eclipse HP merchandise sales worldwide, boys love them to death and I mean death, they are inexpensive and are integral to the movies which greatly enhance the role play that is so important.

Avatar will still be #1 BO worldwide but SW will be top 5, maybe be top 2 or 3 but will absolutely kill it with merchandising and tie-in revenue. Disney is second to none at leveraging IP for retail masses, SW is built for it and the stream will not end for five years with a new movie coming out each December.
I agree. Mainly because Avatar has no merchandising potential. I was talking box office intake in its strictest sense.

lebeau

I guess not, since those type of crowds are a typical summer day in Fantasyland or Frontierland
rT1H5ct.jpg
LcNHW62.jpg
eUMT6fY.jpg

(Photos courtesy of Orlando Theme Park News July 7th update: http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2014/07/magic-kingdom-update-hub-foundations_7.html)

Disclaimer: By no means is this post meant to diminish the excellent job Universal has done with DA ;)

Those are relatively closely cropped pictures. I have pictures of Kings Island that look that busy. To get the full scope and scale of how crowded Uni was, you need to pull way, way back.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I agree. Mainly because Avatar has no merchandising potential. I was talking box office intake in its strictest sense.

I get that completely, my point was that there is more in the game than gate revenue. Avatar merchandise was an abysmal failure which is why I was so surprised to see Disney jump in and spend the kind of capital they are on a franchise??? that has proven to not support merchandise sales. Now, I am not a Pandora hater and really looking forward to seeing what Imagineering can do with it.

Tony Perkis

I get that completely, my point was that there is more in the game than gate revenue. Avatar merchandise was an abysmal failure which is why I was so surprised to see Disney jump in and spend the kind of capital they are on a franchise??? that has proven to not support merchandise sales. Now, I am not a Pandora hater and really looking forward to seeing what Imagineering can do with it.
Personally, I hate the film. I think its woefully unoriginal, has no memorable character, and isn't nearly as interesting as the worlds Cameron created in Terminator or Aliens.

But....it looks nice, I guess.

spacemt354

Chili's
You underestimate the power of the force!

I'm rather confident it'll break one billion. After all grossing over one billion is hardly the feat it once was.

If Disney films such as Alice in Wonderland, 2 Pirates of the Caribbean films, Toy Story 3, Avengers, Iron Man 3, and Frozen all made over 1 Billion in the last few years... I have no doubt Star Wars 7 will accomplish this as well.

How far up the chart it goes after 1 Billion is yet to be seen.

Adjusted for inflation Star Wars: A New Hope is very close to Avatar:

Star Wars: $2,710,800,000

If it's as monumental as the original (which I doubt) combined with the extra cost of 3d and imax, it has a chance.

Mouse Trap

The merchandise is way more lucrative than the film itself. Lucas forsaw this when he made the original trilogy, opting for less $$$ in exchange for higher royalties from merch and licensing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom