The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

twebber55

There has been very little promotion for the movie itself and the buzz is wild already. If it doesn't match avatar or beat it I will be shocked.
one thing to rmember is star wars is a very American product...im not sure it has the international appeal to go to 3 billion but I wouldn't be shocked if it crossed the 2 billion plateau but its still has to be a quality movie...I ve said for a while it clears 1 billion on name alone after that its about the movie itsself

Stevek

I don't know, it looks neck and neck with HP. Have you been touting how unpopular that franchise is? Outside of spikes at the times movies were released, they're pretty much trending the same. I would expect similar new spikes on the SW graph when it releases as well.
View attachment 58583
Ooops sorry for posting the same time as @Bairstow
Pretty much what you would expect with regards to Potter and SW...both see spikes when something of significance is released be it a book or movie. I'd expect to see a similar spike late 2015 and each year through 2019 for Star Wars.

twebber55

My kids two boys age 10 and 6 love star wars. They watch every cartoon out they get and save for every new lego set that comes out etc. I introduced them to the movies yes but I also introduced them to others that they liked but did not fall in love with. Star Wars just speaks to young boys... And it is just not my kids their friends are all the same way. Star Wars is a great great draw for children today but you have to also say so is Harry Potter but for an older age group really. My kids friends 13+ love the books and the movies... Mine love the movies but do not want to play with the lego sets etc.

Bottom line they are both great draws and both companies are lucky to have such great IP to work with. We dont need to hate one to like the other.
this goes with what I see at my school where im a teacher....I ve said for a while star wars is huge with the 10 and under crowd and HP is bigger for the tweens and teens crowd

Ranch Dressing

one thing to rmember is star wars is a very American product...im not sure it has the international appeal to go to 3 billion but I wouldn't be shocked if it crossed the 2 billion plateau but its still has to be a quality movie...I ve said for a while it clears 1 billion on name alone after that its about the movie itsself

Yes, Star Wars has international appeal. Significant appeal.

twebber55

Yes, Star Wars has international appeal. Significant appeal.
well I was talking in terms of over all box office..if you look at star wars its domestic numbers are somewhat higher than its international numbers somewhat different than say avatar and transformers which relied/relies on huge international numbers

Stevek

Not sure it even clears a billion unless you take into account higher ticket prices and potentially a better quality film under Abrams. Phantom Menace made $983MM worldwide, Clones $640MM and Revenge of the Sith $848MM. In every case, less than 50% of the total box office take is domestic. Star Wars has a very strong worldwide following.

Tony Perkis

well I was talking in terms of over all box office..if you look at star wars its domestic numbers are somewhat higher than its international numbers somewhat different than say avatar and transformers which relied/relies on huge international numbers

Episode I: $475 domestic, $550 international
Episode II: $310 domestic, $340 international
Episode III: $380 domestic, $470 international

twebber55

Episode I: $475 domestic, $550 international
Episode II: $310 domestic, $340 international
Episode III: $380 domestic, $470 international
which is exactly my point those numbers are pretty even in comparison to other movies like avatar and transformers
in order for it to get to 3 billion (which it could) it needs a ton from international numbers

Tony Perkis

which is exactly my point those numbers are pretty even in comparison to other movies like avatar and transformers
in order for it to get to 3 billion (which it could) it needs a ton from international numbers

What point are you trying to make? The last 3 Star Wars films earned more internationally than domestically, thus negating your claim that Star Wars appeals to American audiences for the majority of its gross.

Transformers and Avatar's international successes don't factor into that idea. All they prove is that international audiences have equally, if not more, terrible taste in film as the rest of us.

Stevek

I agree with adults not with teens...not that they wont go see the movie im sure they will
I think there is a subset of teens that enjoy the movies, those that followed through the Clone Wars series but it's not like when we were kids and pretty much every teen loved SW (slight exaggeration). I find that it's much more about the younger kids/pre-teen and those in 20's or older that follow the franchise.

1. Those of us that grew up with the original trilogy and followed the prequels
2. Those that grew up with the prequels being "their" Star Wars
3. Younger kids that grew up with the Clone Wars series and have now been exposed to all 6 movies

There is obviously a grey area in there for folks that don't fit in the timeline...likely some of the current teens that are much more enamored with Marvel...their Star Wars per se.

twebber55

Star Wars is universal. Teen girls may be more into crap like Twilight and Divergent, but EVERYBODY knows Star Wars.

Just like everybody knows Harry Potter.
I don't see it in schools...see tons of HP stuff...actually looked at a star wars book when I was teaching summer school this summer and the last time it was checked out was 2005
again that doesn't mean they wont go see the movie because they will

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Clearly, Disney needs to build a NARUTO land!
:hilarious:
Naruto or Pokemon, yes. They should replace American Idol. lol. heres a google trends report comparing all 3

trends 3.jpg

twebber55

I shared this before on this board...my brother (who teaches at a different school) and I did a pop culture survey asking kids about LOTR, HP, and SW..so this was a couple hundred or so kids ranging in age from 13-18 and it wasn't even close...HP won easily
I think part of that is HP is still fresh and im sure SW will probably do better when Ep. 7 comes out

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom