The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

twebber55

No. This is having the benefit of nearly 40 years of empirical evidence regarding theatrical, home video, merchandising, video game, television, etc sales at my disposal to evaluate.
Haha
Do me a favor and go to any high school or kiddle school of your choice and let me know how how many star wars t shirt
Bayformers 4 is about to topple Avatar. I think Star Wars 7 has just as good a chance.[
Dont see it
Not a big enough draw domestically
I say about 1.5 billion

Mouse Trap

Transformers officially beat out Avatar in China.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/tra...s-avatar-record-passes-600-million-worldwide/

As for Avatar 2... I don't really care much for the first, but maybe the second will be better. I'm willing to bet the movie itself had record breaking box office ticket sales due more to it's 3-D and (then) unique filming style... which is more/less commonplace now.

I'm very excited for Star Wars. And @George $148 for soda, popcorn, a yoda plush and box seats might just be a bargain ;)

Not a bad idea filming a movie in the most populated country on Earth, with an already enormous fan base for giant fighting robots.

TeriofTerror

I don't like the "adjusted for inflation" charts. Where I live, a normal movie runs $13 per ticket. That number is turning a lot of people off from seeing movies. I know it does for me. I will only see a handful per year in theatres because I don't like being ripped off. As recently as 8-10 years ago, I went way more often, because I didn't feel ripped off.

Yes, A New Hope adjusted comes close to Avatar(which I dislike btw) but it was cheaper to go see a movie then, so more people saw movies.

A 3d ticket to SW7 is going to run me $17-19. I need to be pretty confident in the experience I am getting to drop that kind of coin on a movie. And the 2nd trilogy did not leave me full of hope. I am sure I'm not alone.
An apples-to-apples comparison is difficult any way you look at it. Adjusted for inflation numbers aren't perfect and there are other factors to consider, but I do think the data is a useful contribution to the conversation.
But it doesn't really matter, because "Jaws" is still the best film of all time. :)

twebber55

I don't like the "adjusted for inflation" charts. Where I live, a normal movie runs $13 per ticket. That number is turning a lot of people off from seeing movies. I know it does for me. I will only see a handful per year in theatres because I don't like being ripped off. As recently as 8-10 years ago, I went way more often, because I didn't feel ripped off.

Yes, A New Hope adjusted comes close to Avatar(which I dislike btw) but it was cheaper to go see a movie then, so more people saw movies.

A 3d ticket to SW7 is going to run me $17-19. I need to be pretty confident in the experience I am getting to drop that kind of coin on a movie. And the 2nd trilogy did not leave me full of hope. I am sure I'm not alone.
Plus in 1977 there no such things vcrs let alone dvds and red box
Different times

lazyboy97o

Because it is really unnecessary! At least for international travellers who own a smart phone.

I used to be a huge critic of the reliance on smart phones of MM+ as I am an international traveller myself and saw exactly the problem of roaming fees. BUT because of the free Wifi it really is not an issue at all. If you have a smartphone you can effectively turn it into an iPod touch by putting it into the airplane mode and then enable wifi. Voila, there it is: not connected to the cellular network anymore, but able to go online thanks to wifi.

Actually, my phone company even only charges for roaming if I actually use the phone to make or take a call, so as long as I disable data roaming, I don't have to do anything else to avoid getting hit with roaming charges. But there different countries seem to have different rules.
I was thinking more for those who do not have a smartphone. It's a shrinking group of people, but they do exist. Heck, there might even be customers in people who can't turn on WiFi on their iPhone.

spacemt354

Chili's

The average price of a movie ticket in the US for 1977 was $2.25

Adjusted for inflation in 2014, that would be $9.22

It depends on when you go to the movies. The theater close to me has matinee prices of $6 per movie, instead of the $12 evening price. If I was around in 1977 and the movie cost me only a few dollars less than today's films, I would still need a good indication that the film is worth it before I spend my money.

And if people want to spend the extra for 3d and imax, that's their choice. I only do that for big action films and when I go to 3d, I'm not forced to. I make the choice to pay extra.

So while I agree that the price of films could be a deterrent, and probably more people saw Star Wars than Avatar, I don't think the number is very far off.

seascape

An apples-to-apples comparison is difficult any way you look at it. Adjusted for inflation numbers aren't perfect and there are other factors to consider, but I do think the data is a useful contribution to the conversation.
But it doesn't really matter, because "Jaws" is still the best film of all time. :)
Jaws will always be my favorite movie because it was filmed at my family's summer home

Tony Perkis

Haha
Do me a favor and go to any high school or kiddle school of your choice and let me know how how many star wars t shirt
If you want to use personal experience as the barometer, I love Star Wars. Yet I don't own a single article of clothing from the series. Nor a Potter shirt.

I have a Big Lebowski shirt, though. I've seen more of those. That must be more popular.

twebber55

The average price of a movie ticket in the US for 1977 was $2.25

Adjusted for inflation in 2014, that would be $9.22

It depends on when you go to the movies. The theater close to me has matinee prices of $6 per movie, instead of the $12 evening price. If I was around in 1977 and the movie cost me only a few dollars less than today's films, I would still need a good indication that the film is worth it before I spend my money.

And if people want to spend the extra for 3d and imax, that's their choice. I only do that for big action films and when I go to 3d, I'm not forced to. I make the choice to pay extra.

So while I agree that the price of films could be a deterrent, and probably more people saw Star Wars than Avatar, I don't think the number is very far off.
More saw it domestically im not sure about world wide

spacemt354

Chili's
The source attatched to that chart is slightly odd. Russian Guiness World Records lol? There seems to be quite a bit of descrepancy on the topic across lots of websites though. Gonna go ahead and trust...

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/483274/20130626/highest-grossing-films-time.htm#.U72QOoXD9Ds

It's the internet... and better yet its wiki. You have to take everything with a grain of salt. ;)

Also I believe in accordance with www.filmsite.org/boxoffice3.html ... the listing is of US domestic adjustments. Not world-wide rankings, which I would assume the wiki article came from

twebber55

If you want to use personal experience as the barometer, I love Star Wars. Yet I don't own a single article of clothing from the series. Nor a Potter shirt.

I have a Big Lebowski shirt, though. I've seen more of those. That must be more popular.
Me neither and i like all those movies

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
The source attached to that chart is slightly odd. Russian Guinness World Records lol? There seems to be quite a bit of discrepancy on the topic across lots of websites though. Gonna go ahead and trust...

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/483274/20130626/highest-grossing-films-time.htm#.U72QOoXD9Ds

So using Box Office Mojo's figures the six SW movies (I-VI) have raked in $4,564,779,600 for an average of 760,796,600 per movie.

Bolna

I was thinking more for those who do not have a smartphone. It's a shrinking group of people, but they do exist. Heck, there might even be customers in people who can't turn on WiFi on their iPhone.

Yes, I thought you might, that's why I added the qualifier about international guests with smart phones. ;) I just ended up quoting your post because it was the last one on that topic.

And I could totally see someone making a business out of renting iPods to WDW vacationers, just like people rent out strollers, ECVs etc.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I bet it won't even come close. I'm thinking 1.5 billion like The Avengers

I agree with this, I think the $1.5B number is very likely, and that is coming from someone who has been a huge Star Wars fan since 1977. Avatar is going to be hard to unseat from it's top positions. Look at the top international grosses starting at #20, most of the movies have under a $20 million gap between them, Avengers managed $177 million over HP Deathly Hollows 2, then the gap between Avengers and Titanic is $688 million (which alone would a very respectable box office total for most movies), finally add another $602 million to get to Avatar.

Stevek

I don't see it in schools...see tons of HP stuff...actually looked at a star wars book when I was teaching summer school this summer and the last time it was checked out was 2005
again that doesn't mean they wont go see the movie because they will
Compared to SW, Potter is probably a hotter property. Part of the issue with Star Wars books is that there are literally hundreds of them (I own them all) whereas the 7 Potter releases were much more of an event...probably moreso than the movies. With that many books, it's really hard for anyone to decide what to read/where to start.

With SW, it's the exact opposite...movies first and the monstrous expanded universe a distant second (though still quite popular). It's very interesting that there are movie purists in the SW uni that will never read a comic or book while folks like myself soak it all up. And now 99% of those books aren't truly relevant in the SW universe as they are no longer official canon. Good reads but can easily be contradicted (and already have been) by the upcoming movies or TV shows.

Stevek

Not a chance it beats Avatar. Avatar had the enviable benefit of being the first big 3D film, arguably the biggest change in big screen entertainment in decades.

Right place, right time.
Timing is everything, even with a movie that in retrospect, was not as good as good as many people (including myself) thought it was. It's clearly not worthy of being the box office champ if you equate that to quality.

Next Big Thing

I'm not opposed to any particular IP going into DHS or Animation Courtyard in particular, but I think that DHS would be good for animated films that don't fit well into the medieval European vibe of Fantasyland. Wreck It Ralph is a great example of that. Big Hero 6, if it is successful and can be used in the parks, is another.
Both Big Hero 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy can be used at WDW I believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom