The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
The merchandise is way more lucrative than the film itself. Lucas forsaw this when he made the original trilogy, opting for less $$$ in exchange for higher royalties from merch and licensing.

Which is why Disney gave up Spiderman movie rights to Sony for merchandise rights. Merchandising is a huge revenue stream that is more valuable in some IP than any movie. The movies become a 2hr advertisement for all the toys!

Mouse Trap

If Disney films such as Alice in Wonderland, 2 Pirates of the Caribbean films, Toy Story 3, Avengers, Iron Man 3, and Frozen all made over 1 Billion in the last few years... I have no doubt Star Wars 7 will accomplish this as well.

How far up the chart it goes after 1 Billion is yet to be seen.

Adjusted for inflation Star Wars: A New Hope is very close to Avatar:

Star Wars: $2,710,800,000

If it's as monumental as the original (which I doubt) combined with the extra cost of 3d and imax, it has a chance.

Where did you get that info? Last I looked I remembered Star Wars greatly surpassing Avatar when adjusted for inflation. In order I believe it was Gone With the Wind, Star Wars, and Avatar somewhere around #8

Mr. Moderate

I totally agree.

Make me personally wonder what people are thinking when they make claims Star Wars is not a popular IP.

Let me get my inner nerd on here for a second, if you good people don't mind.

Back in 1977 Star Wars was my generation for the most part, but after time had passed from the 1983 release of ROTJ, SW mania had cooled off and by most of the 80's and early 90's you just didn't hear much about it. I remember when the films came out on VHS and us fans rushed out to buy them, but the original mania just wasn't there as it was during the glory years.

However when Lucas re released the original 3 films chronological order in Jan, Feb, and March of 1997, it breathed a lot of life back into the franchise. I remember going to see each one again during the one month run of them and it brought back a thrill seeing them fixed up with new effects and improved sound and it brought back a lot of memories. Those theaters were packed too and each re release of those 3 films in 1997 brought in over a 100 million a piece and that was a sign that the SW was back in a big way. I do have to say, I look forward to the 3 prequels that came out starting in 1999 and finishing up in 2005, but found myself hating them for the most part. I thought those films were going to kill off the momentum of the return of SW and good will of the fans, but surprisingly the newer fans accepted them for the most part.

I think people who say Stars Wars isn't that big of an IP are the ones who never liked the original films or understood them, didn't understand the impact that ILM and Lucasfilm had on the industry and how it changed film making forever. In 1977 Star Wars blew people away with the special effects, sound, characters, and the story kind of took a back seat to all of that. Don't get me wrong, I loved the story too, but seeing that Star Destroyer come across the top of the movie screen in the beginning of the film in the summer of 77, I knew even as a kid, I was watching something special. Here I am almost 50 years old and that memory of seeing that film still stays strong with me. I bet money I don't have, that if a proper SW land is built with a big budget and done well like Carsland for example, you're going to see a lot of interest in it, that is hidden under the surface. Disney could open up a door that a lot of regular theme park attendees don't see or understand. It's all there waiting and could be the next "Harry Potter effect" for the parks that Disney needs and us fans want.

doctornick

Plus Disney has handled a good portion of the Marvel movies well, so I have reason to believe SW will follow suit.
Yes. Whenever anyone has made comments to me about how Disney will destroy Star Wars (like they can come up with something worse than Ep I and Jar Jar), I just point out what they are doing with Marvel. The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been fantastic for the fans of the comics and I am optimistic that the new Star Wars movie will also be well done.

Ranch Dressing

I heard that there were going to be VIP viewing areas in the theater. You get a bucket of popcorn, a soda, and a Yoda plush all for $148! I think the movie may even be included!

My sources told me there would be a pretzel bite package with a free side of hot mustard or nacho cheese for a small upcharge but it does not include the plush.

A Frozen-Star Wars princess combo is also in the works but I don't think they will have it ready by the time the film opens.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And, even though it is ancient history at this point - how long did it take them to build the entirety of Disneyland? :)

Sklar even says in his book though (which was written recently)... quoting IASW as their 'quickest' attraction design as 18months from concept to open... contrast to 2-3 years for perm attractions.

Mr. Moderate

Also Avatar will never have the loyal following or impact Star Wars did on our culture Just wanted to throw that out there. People will go to AK to see it, but more for to see what the land is about. Not for the characters or the story, just to see what there is to offer. Avatar just doesn't have the fan base SW had and I can't see it having the legs to be talked about 35 years after it's release. JMHO.

Mouse Trap

Also Avatar will never have the loyal following or impact Star Wars did on our culture Just wanted to throw that out there. People will go to AK to see it, but more for to see what the land is about. Not for the characters or the story, just to see what there is to offer. Avatar just doesn't have the fan base SW had and I can't see it having the legs to be talked about 35 years after it's release. JMHO.

But thats the point. Disney wants people to go into AK, and spend more than half a day there. If executed right, AK will easily be a full day.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't like the "adjusted for inflation" charts. Where I live, a normal movie runs $13 per ticket. That number is turning a lot of people off from seeing movies. I know it does for me. I will only see a handful per year in theatres because I don't like being ripped off. As recently as 8-10 years ago, I went way more often, because I didn't feel ripped off.

Yes, A New Hope adjusted comes close to Avatar(which I dislike btw) but it was cheaper to go see a movie then, so more people saw movies.

A 3d ticket to SW7 is going to run me $17-19. I need to be pretty confident in the experience I am getting to drop that kind of coin on a movie. And the 2nd trilogy did not leave me full of hope. I am sure I'm not alone.

spacemt354

Chili's
Bayformers 4 is about to topple Avatar. I think Star Wars 7 has just as good a chance.

Not only is Transformers over 2 Billion off the pace of toppling Avatar, there has already been speculation that Paramount inflated the opening-weekend box office numbers, and that they were actually less than the $100+ million that was being reported.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Let me get my inner nerd on here for a second, if you good people don't mind.

Back in 1977 Star Wars was my generation for the most part, but after time had passed from the 1983 release of ROTJ, SW mania had cooled off and by most of the 80's and early 90's you just didn't hear much about it. I remember when the films came out on VHS and us fans rushed out to buy them, but the original mania just wasn't there as it was during the glory years.

However when Lucas re released the original 3 films chronological order in Jan, Feb, and March of 1997, it breathed a lot of life back into the franchise. I remember going to see each one again during the one month run of them and it brought back a thrill seeing them fixed up with new effects and improved sound and it brought back a lot of memories. Those theaters were packed too and each re release of those 3 films in 1997 brought in over a 100 million a piece and that was a sign that the SW was back in a big way. I do have to say, I look forward to the 3 prequels that came out starting in 1999 and finishing up in 2005, but found myself hating them for the most part. I thought those films were going to kill off the momentum of the return of SW and good will of the fans, but surprisingly the newer fans accepted them for the most part.

I think people who say Stars Wars isn't that big of an IP are the ones who never liked the original films or understood them, didn't understand the impact that ILM and Lucasfilm had on the industry and how it changed film making forever. In 1977 Star Wars blew people away with the special effects, sound, characters, and the story kind of took a back seat to all of that. Don't get me wrong, I loved the story too, but seeing that Star Destroyer come across the top of the movie screen in the beginning of the film in the summer of 77, I knew even as a kid, I was watching something special. Here I am almost 50 years old and that memory of seeing that film still stays strong with me. I bet money I don't have, that if a proper SW land is built with a big budget and done well like Carsland for example, you're going to see a lot of interest in it, that is hidden under the surface. Disney could open up a door that a lot of regular theme park attendees don't see or understand. It's all there waiting and could be the next "Harry Potter effect" for the parks that Disney needs and us fans want.

A well planned, heavily themed SW Land is the one and only thing WDW can add that would cause me to schedule a trip for a specific week, no matter which week.

Much like you, I remember seeing it for the first time (I was under 10) in a theater and was fortunate enough to get to share the re-releases with my children (and maybe slightly unfortunate to ) and then the prequels. My son was absolutely nuts for any and all SW toy, book, movie, anything that came out as I was when I was a kid. Even now, he won't admit it outside the house, (17yo) if I put any SW Bluray in and start it up, he is dropping on the couch to watch unless the Cardinals are playing.

SW mania may have cooled off a bit but Disney is just now starting to stoke the fires, the Lego Yoda series on Disney XD, the new SW Rebels series about to premier this fall and then next December EP7 is a steady build up to crank up the franchise to new heights, to engage the next generation of potential SW fans and keep the toy lines going.

Mouse Trap

Bolna

I'm actually kind of surprised we have not seen anyone start renting iPod touches for vacation use.

Because it is really unnecessary! At least for international travellers who own a smart phone.

I used to be a huge critic of the reliance on smart phones of MM+ as I am an international traveller myself and saw exactly the problem of roaming fees. BUT because of the free Wifi it really is not an issue at all. If you have a smartphone you can effectively turn it into an iPod touch by putting it into the airplane mode and then enable wifi. Voila, there it is: not connected to the cellular network anymore, but able to go online thanks to wifi.

Actually, my phone company even only charges for roaming if I actually use the phone to make or take a call, so as long as I disable data roaming, I don't have to do anything else to avoid getting hit with roaming charges. But there different countries seem to have different rules.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Transformers officially beat out Avatar in China.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/tra...s-avatar-record-passes-600-million-worldwide/

As for Avatar 2... I don't really care much for the first, but maybe the second will be better. I'm willing to bet the movie itself had record breaking box office ticket sales due more to it's 3-D and (then) unique filming style... which is more/less commonplace now.

I'm very excited for Star Wars. And @George $148 for soda, popcorn, a yoda plush and box seats might just be a bargain ;)

stlphil

With all the Star Wars talk right now, and at the risk of going off-topic (as if that really matters here), I'd like to throw out a theory that I haven't seen before that helps explains the delay in announcing a Star Wars land, in addition to all the other reasons we already know about.

We know that Disney likes to spread out development costs by cloning at multiple resorts around the world. A project as big as a Star Tours land could conceivably save really big bucks by cloning. And of course Disney will want to leverage the LucasFilm purchase by seeding new Star Wars lands as widely as possible. The problem with Star Wars is that logically the new lands must include the already-existing Star Tours rides that are situated in vastly different local environments, and even completely different types of parks. A proposed ride that works perfectly at DHS may not fit at all at DL, and vice-versa.

I can easily visualize this situation leading to a kind of paralysis, since the cloning instinct is so strong and yet may be at odds with the physical reality on the ground, hence part of the reason for delaying a decision.

Perhaps this is the source of the Star Wars land rumors about no approved ride yet except a spinner, because, like Jello, there's always room for a spinner.

By the way, as cynical as I have been the last few years about Disney building new attractions, even I don't believe that a spinner will be the only new ride included in the new Star Wars lands whenever they finally get announced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom