The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

lazyboy97o

On a side note: I see ABC Family is running a "Potterhead Weekend" promotion this week, showing all the films. I'm surprised that Disney OKs this. Hyping up an IP on for another park in one of its biggest weekends.

Maybe the boost in ratings is worth it?

But I guess this is about the 1000th time they've done some form of a Potter weekend.
The decision to, for the first time, air all eight films this weekend is very likely intended to capitalize on the news of the grand opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley. What most people wrongly assume is that Disney is centrally guided. ABC Family is interested in getting viewers and they do not care if their methods upset some people at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Like prior marathons, the films this weekend will likely be interrupted by plenty of commercials for the Universal Orlando Resort (meaning on the inverse NBCUniversal doesn't mind giving money to parts of Disney).

PrincessNelly_NJ

Because if others have the same opinions as you, that 'validates' your opinion, since you're basically just preaching to the choir at that point. In addition, since a majority of people on this thread have the same opinion and it seems like the same things have been said ad nauseam for the last week, throwing in a more critical opinion gives people the opportunity to further validate their own opinion by mocking and/or dismantling the outlying opinion.

I've liked these threads so I try to keep up with it, but there's really no need to. I could sum up the last 30+ thread pages, and predict the next 30+ pages just like this.

Diagon Alley: Great rides. Stunning atmosphere. Game-changer. Anyone says otherwise...post a picture of a dragon breathing fire on top of Gringotts to "prove" them wrong

Disney World: MM+ a disaster. No Potter-swatter. Management doesn't "get" us. Anyone says otherwise? Mental Illness
I don't think its bad to discuss other people's viewpoints.
Many times I have heard other people's views and/or opinions and it has made me reevaluate my own.
I had nothing to validate because I have yet to set foot in DA. I have no opinion on it, just expectations as of right now.
Someone posted that we should check out his tweets. I was actually going to post a few more screenshots because not everyone on these boards uses twitter but might care what he said. But I never got a chance too before getting a response.
I'm posting from a phone so it is easier to back out and add pictures than add a ton at a time.
Almost everything I posted today was for general information. I have no agenda, I'm just little old Nelly, no one special :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Many times I have heard other people's views and/or opinions and it has made me reevaluate my own.
I had nothing to validate because I have yet to set foot in DA. I have no opinion on it, just expectationsnas of right now.
Someone posted that we should check out his tweets. I was actually going to post a few more screenshots because not everyone on these boards using twitter and might care what he said. But I never got a chance too before getting a response.
I'm posting from a phone so it is easier to back out and add pictures than add a ton at a time.
Almost everything I posted today was for general information. I have no agenda, I'm just little old Nelly, no one special :)
I actually wasn't meaning you. :)

I was just responding to that last line because I agree with you. I like discussing different viewpoints. But the trend of the thread has gravitated more to one opinion is right and the other is wrong. And it's just the same thing over and over and over.

Ah ha but if you don't like it spacemt354...don't read it! Ah but see I do want to read it because I'm going to Diagon Alley in August. I want to read what people have to say. The positives and the negatives. I'm glad there are more positives than negatives but just let the negatives be what they are, and not mock them. Because the more the negative opinions are silence and mocked, the more validity I take away from the positive opinions, since they clearly aren't objective.

I don't really care much about spoilers so I want to go in to DA with as much info as I can. I want this to succeed and i want Uni to knock it out of the park. I also want objective opinion, which I know is a tall order for passionate fans ;).

Cesar R M

I think that where it gets into trouble with this is that in a theoretical sense, FP+ could easily prove to actually save time. Given the following kind of average touring plan, taking the existing wait times given on MDE and using the thought that FP+/FP has doubled the standby wait times. Also, assuming the PPF/SM/Splash are my FP+ choices.

View attachment 58505

You'll notice here why I said theoretical, because if a perfect guest return system were in place, where the guest did not have to wait at all when entering the FP+ line, then this shows that a person would actually reduce their time spent in queue, even if it is true that every attraction's wait time would be cut in half (two of the attractions above did not have wait times, or FP+, so I assumed 10 minutes, and since they are equal in both cases, it does not have impact on the final numbers).

Now, you'll see that once a true wait time is brought into the equation for FP+, meaning I do actually have to wait a small amount of time when I show up, then it can easily throw the numbers off. Even a 10 minute wait per FP+ attraction does end up having a longer wait time. That is why I said a perfect guest return system would prove the numbers above, and I agree that system does not exist.

Taken that though, I think it can easily be assumed that those numbers can be brought back by the fact that most FP+ attractions likely run at less than full capacity, meaning that those attractions, even with FP+ would likely not double their standby time. I doubt highly that rides like IASW have a 50% / 50% mix of Standby vs. FP+ riders, so more standby folks will be getting through quicker, thus reducing the standby wait time from the "double" estimate. Taking the following example, those in red have been adjusted to only have standby times impacted by 1/3 (66% of current time). This skews the numbers even more in FP+ favor.

View attachment 58506

Just right there, I'm spending 36 minutes less of my time standing in line. Even adding back in 10 minutes waiting in each of the FP+ lines, I'm still ahead.

But, we will never truly know the true impact of this, because we're not going to have access to the FP+ percentages, usage, and other numbers to truly prove things out. But you bet your sweet bippy that Disney is going to be THRILLED to be able to have these numbers in fairly real-time and tweak the living heck out of them now that they'll be collecting all this data.

Makes you wonder if the magicbands tracking system will shed some light of this behavior.
Where the guests move after getting a FP+ and what they do while they wait for the time for their FP+

I'm a parent, and I can't fathom it either.

I suddenly get in my mind that only super spoiled kids would wait that much time.
Like those girls, who get a luxury car and whine it isn't the color she wanted,then how its the worst day her life.

Bairstow

Cesar R M

You take nothing out now, say nothing to the cashier, scan you band and just put your pin in. That is as secure as you can get. I used to use my credit card all the time at food and wine and now with flower and garden I don't have to. In my case this is hundreds of swipe fees a week that Disney saves for 3 weeks just from my wife and I. It does not matter what you or others think of the way I do things and I don't care. Disney is saving money. That is a fact. If they publicize or not is irrelevant. Facts are facts.
so, according to you....the whole convenience for clients was a lie and it is only a way to save money via single individual swipes per buy vs aggregated swipe?
I wonder if this is planned also in the supposed "revenue growth" due of savings...?

I'm still shocked this project is as far in development as it is. This series has little-to-no merchandising potential.
It could go bad or it could go really good.
Just look at Pirates of the Caribbean.. It was a simple attraction with AA's and evolved into a behemoth.

Bairstow

Here's a question:

What do people think the point of My Disney Experience/My Magic Plus is?

I've always thought that Disney's "Next Generation" initiative was about an across-the-board series of improvements to the resort's information infrastructure to streamline reservations, tickets, and guest services while at the same time giving Disney an unprecedented array of crowd control information to give them an edge in managing their park and hotel logistics. Features like guest identification and tracking, allowing for individually-tailored attraction or character experiences would make Disney's parks stand out from the pack in a way traditional, 20th-century customer service simply wouldn't do.

That this resulted in things like the MagicBands and FastPassPlus are just an ancillary result of these deeper changes, and Disney, not wanting to let a good opportunity to crow about their park pass, is now touting them as "features".

Other people seem to perceive MagicBands and FastPassPlus as the ends, rather than the means of this change, and therefore conclude that the so-called advantages of these systems are not worth the price tag.

So who's right here? Are DME and FP+ the end or just a means to an end?

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
But that's my whole point... you keep saying you "feel" the bands are safer, but you have yet to provide any explanation beyond "this is what I think." All I was asking for was an explanation, and you don't want to provide one. "Because I said so" doesn't hold up as a viable argument.

Chip and PIN is ridiculously safer than a swipe for credit card transactions. MBs use PINs for each guest and can be different for each guest with charging in the room so is much safer than the old swipe cards which can be duplicated each and every time the card is taken out of site by any unscrupulous CM.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Here's a question:

I've always thought that Disney's "Next Generation" initiative was about an across-the-board series of improvements to the resort's information infrastructure to streamline reservations, tickets, and guest services while at the same time giving Disney an unprecedented array of crowd control information to give them an edge in managing their park and hotel logistics. Features like guest identification and tracking, allowing for individually-tailored attraction or character experiences would make Disney's parks stand out from the pack in a way traditional, 20th-century customer service simply wouldn't do.

That this resulted in things like the MagicBands and FastPassPlus are just an ancillary result of these deeper changes, and Disney, not wanting to let a good opportunity to crow about their park pass, is now touting them as "features".

Other people seem to perceive MagicBands and FastPassPlus as the ends, rather than the means of this change, and therefore conclude that the so-called advantages of these systems are not worth the price tag.

That is what I thought too until I read Rasulo's comments. Now I feel that it was put into place to simply create revenue. To trick guest into believing that it is a benefit to them when it is not.
I like FP+, it works well for my vacation style. But I can't help but feel like the goal was to have me spend less time riding and more time spending money.
I can't tell you how many times while waiting for our FP+ time slot, we ended up buying a drink or snack. Or wondering into a gift shop.

Lord_Vader

Here's a question:

They are a small part of the public side of MM+. IMO there is so much more behind it planned over the long run but just the features I value are the FP+ advanced reservations, the ability to change FP+ reservations, online viewable wait times, speedier resort check-in, band/PIN at registers (safety), auto photo adding for attraction photos to my PhotoPass account and the updated app to name a few.

The attraction photo part will save me 5-10 minutes for each attraction, FP+ is very convenient and allows flexibility that we did not have with FP and the safety of PIN usage provides some peace of mind for credit card security.

IMO there is much more coming over the next few years that will benefit Disney more than guests though, I expect EMH to go away but added FP+ being granted to on-site guests. Tailored offers based on guest habits and previous purchases are one my list of things to expect too. Something else that could be done is to help with bus/boat travel is to place readers in the resort bus stops where guests "check-in" by tapping the bar providing TDO a guest count at each stop waiting for a specific bus, readers could be placed at park bus stops too to perform the same function. Additionally, they could be used at the DTD bus stops to validate guests wishing to go directly to parks to identify guests cheating the parking fee by making sure only resort guests can go to the parks from DTD.

Cesar R M

Just about every Disney lifestyler has been or STILL is a member of the Magic.

And if not they still read it religiously

so.. a membership to this website is like being a member of the CIA?
once CIA always CIA?
Because if others have the same opinions as you, that 'validates' your opinion, since you're basically just preaching to the choir at that point. In addition, since a majority of people on this thread have the same opinion and it seems like the same things have been said ad nauseam for the last week, throwing in a more critical opinion gives people the opportunity to further validate their own opinion by mocking and/or dismantling the outlying opinion.

I've liked these threads so I try to keep up with it, but there's really no need to. I could sum up the last 30+ thread pages, and predict the next 30+ pages just like this.

Diagon Alley: Great rides. Stunning atmosphere. Game-changer. Anyone says otherwise...post a picture of a dragon breathing fire on top of Gringotts to "prove" them wrong

Disney World: MM+ a disaster. No Potter-swatter. Management doesn't "get" us. Anyone says otherwise? Mental Illness
The issue on people who come to say the "other opinion" is; They have a tendency of spreading BS or have their own agenda than to discuss things properly with facts.
It gets kinda tiring.

Lord_Vader

The decision to, for the first time, air all eight films this weekend is very likely intended to capitalize on the news of the grand opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley. What most people wrongly assume is that Disney is centrally guided. ABC Family is interested in getting viewers and they do not care if their methods upset some people at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Like prior marathons, the films this weekend will likely be interrupted by plenty of commercials for the Universal Orlando Resort (meaning on the inverse NBCUniversal doesn't mind giving money to parts of Disney).

Or Comcast simply inserts their adds into their allowed slots based on retransmit contracts.... This is a zero cost for Comcast and Disney gets no revenue.

crispy

Here's a question:

I think it's all that and none of that at the same time. I think it's intended purpose was much like Magical Express - keep guests at WDW for the entirety of their vacation and get those guests to spend as much money as possible. I also think it is intended as a high-tech way to disperse crowds between attractions which is why every attraction now has a FP+ attached. In order to achieve that, the needed infrastructure upgrades had to be made and FP+ and MagicBands had to be created.

I didn't dislike the MagicBand when I used it, and in some ways I think it made park touring easier. From that point of view, I don't think it's a failure. I do, however, think it makes vacation planning much more complicated and creates unnecessary lines and wait times. At the end of the day, my personal thoughts on it don't really matter. What matter is if it increases revenue and keeps guests and their money at WDW. I don't foresee them getting the returns they want on the whole system, but only time will tell.

When it comes down to it, people can see a new roller coaster, but they can't see infrastructure. The only tangible thing we, as guests, see is a MagicBand. When you look at something like Diagon Alley and then look at a MagicBand, it's hard not to say, "Is this IT???" even if that's unfair. MagicBands and infrastructure just don't create excitement (with the possible exception of seacape) that a 7DMT does.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Yeah, I don't mind losing SWSA, but I would love to have seen a dark ride replaced it (either same location or elsewhere). The FLE was a lot of room and they couldn't have shoehorned a quaint dark ride somewhere?

I'd also love to see some old school dark rides added to DHS. The Animation Courtyard area is just screaming for some rides like that. Say, for example, a new Mr. Toad?
Agreed. I do hope eventually we see a new dark ride there.

Also agreed on animation courtyard. Although I would love for them to have a land for movies like Wreck-it Ralph, Tangled, Frozen, which all conceivable could make for great areas/attractions (They've already proven Tangled can make a nice area with the dang restrooms). I'd much more rather a Wreck-it Ralph attraction than Tangled if one had to be cut though.

truecoat

I had nothing to validate because I have yet to set foot in DA. I have no opinion on it, just expectations as of right now.
Someone posted that we should check out his tweets. I was actually going to post a few more screenshots because not everyone on these boards uses twitter but might care what he said. But I never got a chance too before getting a response.

Don't sell yourself short. You have provided interesting viewpoints and information in this forum, so take it from me, you are special.

image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom