The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

crispy

A wedding is a wedding if you are talking about significant life events. Marriage should always be at the top, assuming it all works out. I would think that as far as life events go, it would be something like this:

1. Marriage
2. Birth of Child(ren)
3. Child gets married
4. Birth of grandchild(ren)
999. New Star Wars Movie Opens (who am I kidding, that would be #5) ;)
1000. Opening of Diagon Alley

I don't know, call me crazy.

Marriage? Yes! Wedding? Eh. That's just a one day event. At mine, my sister almost got into a fistfight at my reception and my sister-in-law got into a wrestling match with a friend of mine over the bouquet. Not to mention finding out the day before that one of my bridesmaids had her dress made three sizes to small in hopes of losing weight before the wedding. The only way that dress was gonna fit was if she wore it like an apron so she ended up dropping out of the wedding the day before. My mom was menopausal and going crazy because I didn't ask the bridesmaids to have their shoes dyed to match their dresses.

In retrospect, the opening of Diagon Alley probably is better than my wedding day! Fortunately, my husband has been a keeper.

asianway

Further proof that DA is the necessary fire under Disney's butt:
I'm listening to a MouseChat interview now with Jim Hill (I know he's not the most popular guy on these boards, but I love listening to his interviews). Per JH, the wand effect at WWoHP has got Disney planning to have a similar "Force" effect -- possibly tied to Magic Bands. Also:
The Cantina is a definite (of course).
Some stupid (did I say that out loud?) Dumbo-like spinner for the kiddies (because there weren't enough of those at WDW).
Jedi Training Academy moving into Sounds Dangerous (we knew that already, too), with a possible addition of a Yoda A-A.
Due to obligations to corporate events, cheerleader competitions, etc. (plus the recent acquisition of IJ film rights), the Indy show is staying through at least 2017.
Still listening so there may be more. Here's the link:
http://mousechat.net/index.php/2014/07/07/jim-hill-disney-world-universal-future-rides/
That sounds about as lazy and unfun as Frozen Summer Fun.

Scratch that it's worse accounting for scale and permanence

Mike S

So I may have to dig a little back on twitter but one of the comments I read this morning was one lady stating that the opening of Diagon Alley was bigger than her wedding day. :banghead::facepalm::banghead::facepalm::banghead::facepalm::banghead::facepalm:

If I were her husband, divorce papers would be waiting for that nut.
Maybe they're already divorced and that's why Diagon Alley is better? ;)
Further proof that DA is the necessary fire under Disney's butt:
I'm listening to a MouseChat interview now with Jim Hill (I know he's not the most popular guy on these boards, but I love listening to his interviews). Per JH, the wand effect at WWoHP has got Disney planning to have a similar "Force" effect -- possibly tied to Magic Bands. Also:
The Cantina is a definite (of course).
Some stupid (did I say that out loud?) Dumbo-like spinner for the kiddies (because there weren't enough of those at WDW).
Jedi Training Academy moving into Sounds Dangerous (we knew that already, too), with a possible addition of a Yoda A-A.
Due to obligations to corporate events, cheerleader competitions, etc. (plus the recent acquisition of IJ film rights), the Indy show is staying through at least 2017.
Still listening so there may be more. Here's the link:
http://mousechat.net/index.php/2014/07/07/jim-hill-disney-world-universal-future-rides/
Gosh, wouldn't want them to build an actual ride. Of course they have a spinner planned. Sigh.
If that's all Disney wants to do with Star Wars they might as well forfeit to Universal now. By the time this opens Universals third park will probably already be announced and/or under construction not to mention all the rumored expansions coming to USF and IOA and the new water park which is supposed to be amazing. Which do you think people will be more excited about? I thought Diagon Alley could potentially wake Disney up that they aren't the only game in town anymore but clearly that isn't the case.
I was one of those nutjobs in line at 5am this morning at Universal...I went through the hell of the original Wizarding World in 2010...I was at Antarctica's grand opening last year (also hell), and while it was insanely busy today, it was by far the most comfortable and organized wait of the openings I've been to.

I'm a big Disney and Universal fan. I'm not a big Potter fan...but Diagon Alley was even more amazing than I imagined. I brought my skeptical brothers with me and even both of them agreed the land was phenomenal, and a game changer. My younger bro kept trying to view outside entities or find unfinished areas while in D.A. He couldn't. This land is so well done that it makes Hogsmeade pale in comparison. As for Gringott's....LOVED the ride! So immersive and seamless in presentation! It exceeded my expectations as well. I found it to be even more enjoyable than Forbidden Journey or Spider-Man.

This ride just took my #1 spot.
I'm so jealous of you right now. I still don't understand why it couldn't soft open two days ago when I was there. Oh well, I'll ride it for myself soon enough. Glad everyone loves it :)

CDavid

If the numbers are correct 720 people an hour means that in 18 hours a total of 12,960 people can ride. If the attendance numbers are more than that there are people in the park who will not be able to ride it. And if there are only 12,960 people that would mean they are only on pace to draw 4,730,400 people a year.

That's not really a valid point, though, since there is probably no attraction in Disney either which absolutely every guest admitted to the park can ride on the same day (excepting unusually low attendance, perhaps). There just isn't enough capacity. Even on an omnimover with a 2,000 person hourly capacity, if you have more than 24,000-30,000 guests in the park (12-15 hour operating day), not everyone can experience any single attraction. Which has absolutely nothing to do with annual attendance.

In any event, Gringotts is operating at less than half its designed capacity; It's numbers will get better, and the insane crowd levels will eventually become more manageable.

TP2000

Why do people go opening day to anything, let alone July in central FL?

Because they are sheep who can't think for themselves.

They mostly live boring lives, working in sterile cubicles and driving leased Korean or German sedans with 18 government approved safety systems back to their germ-free tract home in a boring suburb where the most exciting thing is a trip to the local Big Box store and a night out at the megaplex for a Hollywood borg blockbuster and a carb-heavy meal at a Darden Corporation restaurant. And when it's time for "vacation!" from their dull lives, they do what everyone else does and go away in July and August to the Super Fun Theme Land Park of their choice. It's the only thing they know how to do, and it's all been pre-approved for them.

At least that's the only reason I can come up with why families would willingly go to Orlando in July and then go to an Opening Day event on purpose.

truecoat

That's not really a valid point, though, since there is probably no attraction in Disney either which absolutely every guest admitted to the park can ride on the same day (excepting unusually low attendance, perhaps). There just isn't enough capacity. Even on an omnimover with a 2,000 person hourly capacity, if you have more than 24,000-30,000 guests in the park (12-15 hour operating day), not everyone can experience any single attraction. Which has absolutely nothing to do with annual attendance.

In any event, Gringotts is operating at less than half its designed capacity; It's numbers will get better, and the insane crowd levels will eventually become more manageable.

I believe someone posted that the ride has the capacity for 7 ride vehicles to operate. If that's the case, best case scenario and all seats filled on every ride for a 12 hour day....20160 get to ride. That's pretty good for any ride that isn't a boat or omnimover.

GiveMeTheMusic

Because they are sheep who can't think for themselves.

They mostly live boring lives, working in sterile cubicles and driving leased Korean or German sedans with 18 government approved safety systems back to their germ-free tract home in a boring suburb where the most exciting thing is a trip to the local Big Box store and a night out at the megaplex for a Hollywood borg blockbuster and a carb-heavy meal at a Darden Corporation restaurant. And when it's time for "vacation!" from their dull lives, they do what everyone else does and go away in July and August to the Super Fun Theme Land Park of their choice. It's the only thing they know how to do, and it's all been pre-approved for them.

At least that's the only reason I can come up with why families would willingly go to Orlando in July and then go to an Opening Day event on purpose.

ELITIST CALIFORNIA NUTJOB ALERT

;)

Must say I LOL'ed at the Darden line.

seascape

You missed my point. I wasn't posting anything negative. I said the smart ones will wait until all the glitches are worked out. I also said I knew that there are lots of people there who can't ride it and showed why. I want to see DA in a calm manner. It's crazy today and I would have to guess that over half the people there can't get anywhere near it. That is good for universal but I would never put up with it. Just like I would never wait in any 5 hour line. Nothing is worth that.

wogwog

Increased sales are easy to demonstrate. Just watch the 10Q's PRGS and PCGS numbers for the next 4 quarters and compare them to the last 3 years, which have averaged about 7-to-8% increases since 2011. In other words, that's the baseline increase before MyMagic+.

In order for MyMagic+ to begin to justify its tremendous investment costs, Disney will need to see double-digit increases in the PRGS & PCGS numbers, higher hotel occupancy, higher attendance, or a combination of all four.

In terms of 'savings', so far, Iger & Rasulo have reported about $300M more in added operational cost associated with new initiatives, which is mostly the result of MyMagic+. ("And this year, we're looking at about a $300 million expense item, and more or less the same amount on the revenue side.")

In addition, they have reported steeper-than-normal depreciation costs associated with MyMagic+. MyMagic+'s technology ages a lot faster than a brick-and-motor attraction.

So far, MyMagic+ has saved zilch.
I am glad at least it saved Zilch. He is a nice fellow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom