The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I was curious as to what Spirit thought of this photo I took... Better yet just your personal thoughts on what you have seen for Diagon so far if you wouldn't mind.

Is there any chance that TWDC knew Uni was gonna add a huge fire breathing dragon in DA and they decided to put a fire breathing dragon in FoF Parade? Or perhaps the other way around, or just coincidence and they both now have fire breathing dragons?

NearTheEars

Or they could've updated it like in Disneyland so it wouldn't seem so primitive anymore. If they really had to remove it though because for some reason they couldn't have two Snow White rides I would've been fully in favor of converting it to a new ride based on Sleeping Beauty rather than a waste of space M&G.

Can't argue that removing a ride for a M&G was a good idea, but it doesn't seem to be a waste of space. It's attracting a heck of a lot of people. You can call them dumb, but thousands are happily lining up every day for the photo ops.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
i have a fun saturday night planned. going to see the Go Go's, martha davis and the motels, patty smythe and naked eyes..

80's punk pop. yea baby yeah:cool:
Sounds great. My Friday afternoon/evening wasn't too shabby. I got to 'faux one percent it' in the city in an Aston Martin Vantage. (Not mine, but I drove it like it was!)
20140705_014542.jpg

PeterAlt

Volcano Bay seems to be part of a larger water park called "Wondersea Island". We also talked about more food, how great a band Iron Maiden is, DVC, Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express soft opening (no Gringotts) as well as the people who waited over 20 days for those openings and also the usual bickering between pixie dusters and Disney fans who know better than to blindly follow. I think that's the gist of it, if there was more anyone feel free to add.
Thanks! Any idea where this new water park will be built? Over Wet and Wild or new property?

stevehousse

Wow, if only our few classic dark rides could get that kind of attention. Well, our one classic dark ride. :( Makes me so sad, as much as I like TLM, and even 7DMT, I still think we need a good two more of these types of rides to really make our Fantasyland what it should be in the flagship park.

THANK GOODNESS TO THAT!!!

I hope to see them outside of 7DMT again than no more than I hope to see the "swaying" ride vehicle. I'll likely be disappointed, but the longer they are held off from being the norm, the better.

With all the money they spend, it's crazy they don't make small investments like these. They could take a small plot, and stick two of these (with shared operations to decrease footprint) in, warehouse-style with a small facade (a la the HM), for under 20 million. They don't need to be "state of the art". I think that's what is disappointing about our Pan in particular - do you know what makes the Disneyland version, aside from the just being better to begin with? Fiber optic lights.

Now, that sounds all fancy - but it's not. You can recreate a starfield across your child's entire bedroom ceiling (or your own, LOL - I won't lie, I've thought about it!) for $300-400 bucks that is the same exact effect they do in the Disneyland Pan. I'm not exaggerating - it's about the same number of lights and the same size. Even when you add the corporate/Disney/business tax - $5,000? $10,000? $20,000 if we are all crazy? That they don't do little things like that is what I find so confusing. It's like they want to do away with them in Florida totally - and, actually, they pretty much have, except for our Mr. P - he's the anti-Potter, more like the Rotter.

Love your post but you have to remember that this is the company that uses actual trash bags as "clouds" for the Peter Pan ride...that's how cheap they are! :jawdrop:

TP2000

Was at Disneyland last week... Quick service there is fantastic and very varied - surpring as most guests visit there for 1 or two days... Cut to Orlando where people are meant to vacation and spend upward of 4+ days... You have pretty much the same menu items across all the parks - it's all bland, it's all badly presented (cars land real life crockery anyone?) and it's all basic fast food... Fries, pizza, burgers.

Curse of the Dining plan maybe, but another disappointment in Orlando!

Dining is one of those things where Disneyland's operation and WDW's operation has grown further and further apart in the last ten years. It's bizarre and I can't think of a good reason why WDW's theme park dining locations have gone the direction they have. Meanwhile, Disneyland's locations go in the opposite direction from Flo's V8 Cafe to the Carthay Circle to the Frontierland Barbeque.

It's very odd, and there's really no good excuse for what TDO has done in the WDW parks since about 2005.

PeterAlt

I think the rumor said it will be built near Cabana Bay.
So, there's no new land since Wet and Wild?

Changing the subject, two things I want to throw at everyone for opinion:

1. Alan Horn as next Disney CEO? Impressive what he's done for the studio so far...

2. Kerzner International Holdings Ltd. (now being held by its creditor), owner of Atlantis and Dubia World resorts. What if it were acquired by either Disney or Universal? The possibilities for synergies... Disney could use it to add value to its cruise line and DVC offerings and maybe even let Imagineering do something with it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I can answer my own question no new or upgraded rides in the Magic Kingdom from 1980 to 1992. Epcot had the awful living seas and the sickening BodyWars in the late 80's.
You really want to widen it to those 12 years?

Why do you insist on digging a deeper hole ?

And why do you try to change your questions to attempt to appear to be correct? First you said Disney, now you say Magic Kingdom?

Either way I'm afraid history shows you are either wrong or misinformed.

Last edited:

seascape

I'm not saying there won't be people who visit Orlando and only go to Universal. That already happened before the latest Potter. I still don't believe that a large number of people are going to Orlando for a week and staying at Universal for 7 days. Some might, but it's not the norm.

When people get their free dining offers and rooms at the All Stars they will still be staying at WDW and visiting Universal for a few days. This year many more people will be going to Universal to see Potter, but a lot of them will still visit Disney parks too. I'm talking the tourist market of people visiting for a week on vacation. The locals will flock to Uni, but that's nothing new.
If you ran a theme park, who would you rather have visist? Tourists staying in Orlando for a week and spending a few days in your park? Or locals with a season pass coming all the time? Of course the answer depends on if you can get close to the same total attendance. As Universal continues to build hotels and more rides they will continue to increase the numbers from tourists who pay more than the locals. This in turn will lead to Universal increasing their Florida Residents season pass price. They will eventually increase it to just a few dollars lower than Disney and possibly eliminate it entirely. Any business owner could tell you this and the reason is they can and they want to maximize profits. Every park gate at WDW, Universal and elsewhere has a maximum capacity. There is no way to reach it everyday so even if MK has a maximum capacity of 100,000, the maximum annual capacity is not 36.5 million, it's much less in realistic terms to 25 million or a little more but no where near 36.5. Universal's 2 parks are close in combined size to the MK and so should have close to the same capacity. That is just 12.5 million each. How much longer will it take until they can fill up that capacity with tourists?

Universal wants to get to the point where they have 10,000 to 15,000 hotel rooms. I will use the 15,000 because that is the number some of my favorite posters use. With 15,000 hotel rooms and 80% occupancy and an average of 2.5 a room, the number of people staying each day is 30,000. (We all know many people put 4 or 5 in a room and that 2 in a room is low for most families) Now if only 20% of them get park to park tickets the daily attendance from just their hotels would be 36,000 or 13,140,000 a year. Even if one were to say not everyone in their hotels will go to universal hotels every day it is clear the locals will be forced out. There is no other way you can look at the numbers and not draw that conclusion. It is better for Universal and Disney to care more about the tourists than the locals and that is even true of the tourists staying in a timeshare or hotel off property. It is just a fact that once a company makes the decision to be a destination theme park and not just a regional one the locals are no longer important.

Local universal fans may realize this and keep posting it but if the visitors staying in the 34,000 rooms at WDW spent 2 days a week at Universal that would result in 3,545,610 a year. It is clear that if Universal keep growing and both Disney and Universal keep building hotel and timeshares the only season tickets that will be offered are those with a requirement of staying on property. WDW will most likely have 50,000 rooms on property by 2030 and Universal will have their 15,000. Add in all the other hotels and timeshares and why would either park sell lower prided season pickets when you can get over $100.00 a day from tourist's and fill up you parks?

There are 140,000 hotel rooms in the Orlando area. I have no idea how many timeshares because the don't count in the hotel numbers and I don't want to count them all one by one. However I would bet the non WDW number has to be well over 30,000. So the combined number should be well over 200,000 by 2021. That should bring in more than 400,000 people a day. If just 60% of them went to theme park it would be 240,000 a day or 87,600,000. Without a 3rd gate at Universal and major expansion at WDW there is no way the parks can handle the tourists and local residents attendance.

seascape

DHS and AK could lose some. SW will take the biggest hit. I would agree that MK will not be impacted much. The biggest thing to watch will be the hotel occupancy. If people really change their habits and stop buying multi-day WDW passes the hotels will take the biggest hit. That's where the financial losses will be felt most.
Hotel occupancy is up big time this year through April. That is before HP2. Both WDW and Universal will see big increases this year and neither of their parks will see any drop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom