The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While camping is charming and all, I wonder how many folks do it because they love the outdoors vs. it's the cheapest option to stay on-property. I wish I could tell those folks for almost half the price of a campsite that there is a really nice, clean, friendly Motel 6 that is right around the corner from the Studios. For the amount you save it will rent you a car, too.

But do they have the $? Park tickets are getting really, really expensive. Just when I look at my own (now that AP's have been priced out of my range) it often makes me go, "Geesh, I might as well just fly to Disneyland if I'm going to spend this much on a trip," which is what I now have been doing. Particularly when you add park hopping, which I think is pretty much mandatory unless you are spending at least 7 days in the parks.

Since you can get 3 and 4 day Universal dual park tickets for under $200, most families need what, six or seven days of park admission if they are doing theme parks all week?

So let's say they split it up - a 3 and 4 day Disney ticket with park hopping costs $350-375. I've left tax out of both of these examples, so a 4 days at Disney breaks $400 with that included - that's a pretty big psychological barrier, particularly if you have a family of 4 or more.

A family of 4 can get 3-4 day Universal tickets for about $800. And if they want to do Disney, that's another $1400+. $2200 for a week's theme park admission? Before we've even talked about lodging, plane tickets, etc.?

The above examples are actually the most cost-effective ways, too - even if you drop park hopping from Disney (which with only 3-4 days seems like a waste unless you simply aren't into the parks much), that's still two grand for a family of 4 to spend a week doing Disney/Universal.

(BTW, the fact that Universal is so cheap is also why the whole "what if you have a one park ticket" criticism about HE is just a joke - folks will catch on quick that haven't yet - buying a one-day one-park Universal ticket at this point is about to be as rare as someone buying a one-day one-park ticket to a Disney park, it ain't 2003 anymore, or even 2013.)

Nah, folks aren't going to be splitting up. The new blood coming in, especially once that have been to Disney previously (say, 5 or 10 years ago) are much more likely to go to the place with the new stuff (Universal), maximize the tickets there (especially once they have an on-site water park), and then have 2-3 days to do other stuff in Orlando like Sea World, or maybe drive to the coast for the day, or sit around the pool.

The "per day" price savings ("the longer you play, the less you play") did wonders to get folks to extend their vacations when it was introduced, but what is going to happen now is what is going to bite it on the rear, which is - "Well, since we aren't going to spend a whole week there, a week's admission is practically the same price as we'd be paying for 3-4 days, so let's just relax the other days. We've been there before, we've already seen it all. Universal will be enough."
I'm not saying there won't be people who visit Orlando and only go to Universal. That already happened before the latest Potter. I still don't believe that a large number of people are going to Orlando for a week and staying at Universal for 7 days. Some might, but it's not the norm.

When people get their free dining offers and rooms at the All Stars they will still be staying at WDW and visiting Universal for a few days. This year many more people will be going to Universal to see Potter, but a lot of them will still visit Disney parks too. I'm talking the tourist market of people visiting for a week on vacation. The locals will flock to Uni, but that's nothing new.

Sped2424

They wouldn't have dared gotten rid of Pan before Snow White. I like the ride here, never got to go on the Florida version.
Ours is actually pretty good, like most rides at wdw it could honestly be stellar and one of the best versions of the ride if it was updated and maintained every decade. We still have a tin foil volcano.. And no led stars.

Animaniac93-98

I still don't believe that a large number of people are going to Orlando for a week and staying at Universal for 7 days.

I doubt anyone now is spending a whole week at UNI and doing nothing else, but there are other things for families to do in Florida besides WDW and UNI. I agree with the point that it's too expensive to do multi-days for both, so visitors will have to make the choice between where they spend the majority of their theme park time.

What I see more people doing is buying a multi-day pass to UNI and a one-day ticket to MK (still quite common) to say they "visited Disneyland too". The free dining/value resort crowd will still be there, but they won't (and can't) represent everyone visiting the Orlando area parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I doubt anyone now is spending a whole week at UNI and doing nothing else, but there are other things for families to do in Florida besides WDW and UNI. I agree with the point that it's too expensive to do multi-days for both, so visitors will have to make the choice between where they spend the majority of their theme park time.

What I see more people doing is buying a multi-day pass to UNI and a one-day ticket to MK (still quite common) to say they "visited Disneyland too". The free dining/value resort crowd will still be there, but they won't (and can't) represent everyone visiting the Orlando area parks.

We will have to see. I'm assuming then you would expect a major drop in attendance at WDW. I'll disagree and say that's not going to happen.

Potter 2.0 has 2 new rides. A headliner, E-ticket and a nice family ride. I can't see that suddenly changing everyone's vacation habits. The prices for multi-day tickets for both parks haven't changed and plenty of people did 2 days at Universal and the rest at WDW for their trip in the past. Some people did a day at SW and a day at Uni with the rest at WDW. The point is that people have been paying for tickets for multiple parks all along. I'm not sure why things would suddenly change. I guess we will have to wait to see.

jdmdisney99

See here...
1984 to 1989 - 22 new projects - 7 in the Magic Kingdom
  • Morocco
  • American Journeys
  • Big Thunder Shooting Gallery
  • Skyleidoscope
  • The Disney Inn
  • The Living Seas
  • Captain EO
  • Daredevil Circus Spectacular
  • Magic Journeys
  • All-America Parade
  • WDW Info. and Reservation Center
  • Mickey's Birthdayland
  • Grand Floridian Beach Resort
  • Norway
  • Caribbean Beach Resort
  • IllumiNations
  • THE ENTIRE DISNEY-MGM STUDIOS THEME PARK
  • Typhoon Lagoon
  • Pleasure Island
  • Delta Dreamflight
  • Wonders of Life
  • Disney Character Hit Parade

2009 to 2014 - 15 new projects - 6 at Magic Kingdom Park
  • Bay Lake Tower
  • Hall of Presidents X
  • Space Mountain I.V
  • Treehouse Villas
  • Golden Oak
  • Town Square Theater
  • Star Tours II
  • Art of Animation Resort
  • Celebrate the Magic
  • New Fantasyland
  • Test Track II
  • Grand Floridian Villas
  • Festival of Fantasy Parade
  • MyMagic+ (and interactivity in the parks)
  • Festival of the Lion King at the Harambe Theater

From our very own site as well as recollection and research.

Sorry for the delay in the post. Meant to post earlier. It is the Fourth after all!

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I can answer my own question no new or upgraded rides in the Magic Kingdom from 1980 to 1992. Epcot had the awful living seas and the sickening BodyWars in the late 80's.
The Walt Disney Company was also signfigantly smaller. In the early 1980s profits from the theme parks were keeping the whole company afloat. Not to mention that your claim of nothing new or updated is straight up wrong.

See here...
1984 to 1989 - 21 new projects - 6 in the Magic Kingdom
  • Morocco
  • American Journeys
  • Big Thunder Shooting Gallery
  • Skyleidoscope
  • The Disney Inn
  • The Living Seas
  • Captain EO
  • Daredevil Circus Spectacular
  • All-America Parade
  • WDW Info. and Reservation Center
  • Mickey's Birthdayland
  • Grand Floridian Beach Resort
  • Norway
  • Caribbean Beach Resort
  • IllumiNations
  • THE ENTIRE DISNEY-MGM STUDIOS THEME PARK
  • Typhoon Lagoon
  • Pleasure Island
  • Delta Dreamflight
  • Wonders of Life
  • Disney Character Hit Parade

2009 to 2014 - 15 new projects - 6 at Magic Kingdom Park
  • Bay Lake Tower
  • Hall of Presidents X
  • Space Mountain I.V
  • Treehouse Villas
  • Golden Oak
  • Town Square Theater
  • Star Tours II
  • Art of Animation Resort
  • Celebrate the Magic
  • New Fantasyland
  • Test Track II
  • Grand Floridian Villas
  • Festival of Fantasy Parade
  • MyMagic+ (and interactivity in the parks)
  • Festival of the Lion King at the Harambe Theater

From our very own site as well as recollection and research.

Sorry for the delay in the post. Meant to post earlier. It is the Fourth after all!
Magic Journeys moved to the Magic Kingdom in 1987.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"Major" drop? Not sure. I would expect MK to keep up or add to its current crowd levels, but for DHS and AK to lose some, but the TEA numbers suggest otherwise.
DHS and AK could lose some. SW will take the biggest hit. I would agree that MK will not be impacted much. The biggest thing to watch will be the hotel occupancy. If people really change their habits and stop buying multi-day WDW passes the hotels will take the biggest hit. That's where the financial losses will be felt most.

bhg469

"Major" drop? Not sure. I would expect MK to keep up or add to its current crowd levels, but for DHS and AK to lose some, but the TEA numbers suggest otherwise.
That is a moot point because neither park releases actual attendance numbers. We will never know the truth but I would expect exactly what you've said. Dak and dhs will see the loss if anything buy anyone who is visiting both resorts are going to get hoppers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom