The Spirited Back Nine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Add 10+ percent state income tax and usually 10+ percent sales tax and hefty state gasoline tax and hefty auto registration and hefty property tax and running out of water and horrid traffic and _________ .

You are not buying a 1200sf house in the Bay Area for less than a million

wogwog

I think it says something that the first Disney park annual pass I've ever gotten -- and this is after extensively visiting the U.S. parks for decades -- is for HKDL. Of course, it helps that you can get an AP for HKDL (called "Magic Access") starting at about $30 more than a 2-day ticket... and that the AP allows you to easily save many times that amount just on the cost of staying at one of the on-site hotels, which are both fantastic.

On top of that, the discount on food and merch can also come in handy when you feel tempted to buy out a good chunk of the Archive Shop -- which is stocked full of very nice merchandise themed specifically to Mystic Manor/Mystic Point. In addition to the usual pins, shirts, and plush (the several plush variants of Albert were extremely popular), I appreciated the fact that the store also offered items specifically targeted to the adult Disney fan demographic.

Things like S.E.A. (Society of Explorers and Adventurers, part of a thematic backstory that links HKDL with TDS) leather passport covers and luggage tags, and a very cool polo shirt, are nice enough to warrant a purchase by the casual visitor, but have that extra additional appeal to a diehard Disney fan. To me, this says that the park actually cares about all of its demographic bases, and not just the broadest possible swath of the general public. It's a lesson that some of the domestic parks are only starting to learn -- that catering at the same time to casual, "once in a lifetime" visitors and to diehard Disney fanatics is not a mutually exclusive proposition. (It wasn't just Mystic Point that had "land"-specific merchandise -- Grizzly Gulch and Toy Story Land also featured a wide variety of items themed specifically to their respective areas. And not once did a merchandise CM fail to ask whether I was an AP when they ran me up -- a fact I appreciated, as it ensured that I received my AP discount on every purchase.)

But in this area, as in many others, HKDL has seen tremendous improvements since I first visited in 2007. I remember trying in vain to find a nice, HKDL-specific T-shirt on that visit -- and the pins and plush on offer were all of the generic "Disney parks" variety. What a difference a few years make -- not to mention the determination by park management to commit to quality and detail over a "lowest common denominator" mentality.

This commitment has clearly permeated down to the CM level. I remember encountering a number of indifferent CMs during my first visit 7 years ago. In addition, despite the fact that HK was a British colony for over a century, I found that many CMs were unwilling or unable to effectively communicate in English with guests. This time around, every CM I encountered was at least proficient in English, if not fluent -- there certainly seemed to be a higher percentage of English-speaking CMs than at TDR. Furthermore, every CM I met was unfailingly polite, helpful, and competent. Even when a particular CM at a store might not know about the availability of a specific type of merchandise, for example, they were able to immediately find a store manager who was both fluent in English and thoroughly knowledgeable. I had many highly enjoyable conversations with CMs, both in the park and hotels, and I felt that HKDL CMs across the board really understand and embrace what it means to work for a Disney theme park.

There were countless examples of CMs going the extra mile to ensure that I had what Disney might characterize as a "magical" vacation. At HKDL, however, the "magic" was more than just lip service -- it was going the extra mile to tend to a guest, not because you're going to get a monetary bonus or some sort of formal recognition, but because it's inherent in the brand of the company you're working for. In short, I really felt the "Disney difference" at HKDL -- something that's been sorely lacking at some of the company's other parks for a long time.

On several occasions, CMs who saw me taking photos, or expressing a particular interest in theming or some other aspect of the park, took the time not only to engage me in conversation, but went out of the way to make the interaction special. In the Main Street Corner Cafe, this meant not only taking a photo of me with my meal, but gathering a group of CMs to help photograph me with a very amusing prop. And after I'd ridden Mystic Manor a couple of times, some CMs recognized me. We had a nice conversation about the attraction, which ended up with them presenting me a beautiful, illustrated and personalized certificate featuring Lord Henry and Albert -- something I would gladly have paid for had it been for sale. (I won't even mention all the stickers and other ephemera that I was given over the course of my visit.)

These are the sorts of interactions that you see depicted in the photos in Disney brochures and websites -- the kind of spontaneous embodiments of so-called "magic" that are actually increasingly rare in real life. The fact that so many HKDL CMs took the time to engage an adult visitor in such a fashion (not to mention a visitor from the U.S., who was unlikely to return to the park in the near future) really amazed and impressed me.
I have a similar history with HKDL. My first visits were also in 2007 when I had a project in Macau for almost a year. I would catch a ferry at least twice a month for a day at the park. I also hunted for unique merchandise in 2007 with disappointment. I have been back for a day or so visit twice since then and the changes are impressive. The guest service is wonderful to experience. I just got home from a trip to Europe that allowed a brief visit to DLP. I had not been there for a few years. DLP has not aged as well as HKDL.

Animaniac93-98

Based on my g/f's 5 y.o. daughter and a trip through the local Target toy department last week, and the reported crowds at the Castle lighting this year*, I think you are wrong. Elsa is the new Belle.

* Yes, crowds are increased because almost every other night is a hard ticket close, but still--it's the off-season, but Frozen drawing a massive crowd.

I can also say the Frozen craze is just as big in Europe (or at least DLP) too. People waiting hours for a picture with Anna and Elsa, most girls dressed as Elsa wandering the parks and at Auberge, audible "ooohs" and applause during "Let it Go" in Dreams of Christmas etc.

Kman101

Never can seem to be caught up. Way behind, but folks, rats are a part of life (insert your own joke about people being rats). I'd admit my reaction would be the same but if you're house gets a rat, suddenly you're a dirty unkempt person with rats all over? Let's stop treating Disney like they're immune from being imperfect. There's a difference between noticing a decline in quality (which there is), etc. and actively discussing it but eh, it's a rat. It's outdoors. Really ...

And what's with the frequent hypocrisy over Uni and Disney? Disney builds Soarin and Pirates/SmallWorld/etc. in Pandora and they're trashed yet Uni is replacing Twister with a simulator and it's the best news ever. LOL. I don't follow Uni news really so no clue on replacement (and still working on this thread so none of this is probably relevant now) and it could still be a great ride, but eh ... they should be called out for relying on screens too much just as Disney deserves to be called out on their cash grabs. And let's please not act like Uni is "too good" for cash grabs, and other things. They're just running a smart business right now.

KJC

And what's with the frequent hypocrisy over Uni and Disney? Disney builds Soarin and Pirates/SmallWorld/etc. in Pandora and they're trashed yet Uni is replacing Twister with a simulator and it's the best news ever. LOL. I don't follow Uni news really so no clue on replacement (and still working on this thread so none of this is probably relevant now) and it could still be a great ride, but eh ... they should be called out for relying on screens too much just as Disney deserves to be called out on their cash grabs. And let's please not act like Uni is "too good" for cash grabs, and other things. They're just running a smart business right now.

Uni builds while Disney plans to build. That's the criticism.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Never can seem to be caught up. Way behind, but folks, rats are a part of life (insert your own joke about people being rats). I'd admit my reaction would be the same but if you're house gets a rat, suddenly you're a dirty unkempt person with rats all over? Let's stop treating Disney like they're immune from being imperfect. There's a difference between noticing a decline in quality (which there is), etc. and actively discussing it but eh, it's a rat. It's outdoors. Really ...

There has been quite a bit of criticism of Universal for over use of screens. Particularly as it relates to Kong.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Rats are urban creatures, you do not see them 'outdoors' Until recently you did NOT see rats at Disney.

71jason

yet Uni is replacing Twister with a simulator and it's the best news ever. LOL.

Please cite actual posts that suggest anything like this. Even my "insider" sources said this is a simple little attraction to act as a stopgap in 2015 until the real E-ticket, Kong, opens in 2016. You're making a strawman argument that has no basis in reality, not even on Twitter.

Figments Friend

I've seen them do that. The other thing they really seem to do is try to look for specific people, e.g. families who look a bit clueless. I've never seen anyone on their own be asked a survey, or any couples, or college age people... it's always the first-timers who don't know any better and are full of the joys of WDW who they get the feedback to their loaded questions from.

I usually visit the Parks ( on both coasts ) alone...and i have been not only mistaken for the Cast Member more times then i can count, i have ALSO been asked several times to take surveys when exiting the Parks.
I would say it has happened almost every visit for many years now.

I actually enjoy taking them, and giving them a opinion on whatever topic it may be that day.

The last one i took was 'backstage' at DCA this past May, where Cast asked my opinion on the various food offerings in the Park.
There was a general concern that they were being told by Guests that not enough healthy options were being offered, and the survey i eventually took related to that.

I actually found DL/DCA food choices to be a step up from offerings at WDW, especially when it comes to 'healthy' choices.
As someone who is usually on the lookout for veg-friendly options, i find the California Parks are on top of it.

California offerings in general, not just at the Parks, i find to be plentiful in number when it comes to 'alternative' food options and neat experimental choices.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Rats are urban creatures, you do not see them 'outdoors' Until recently you did NOT see rats at Disney.
I, personally, still haven't seen one. That doesn't mean that they weren't around and that they haven't been around before. You don't usually see them in the light or around a lot of people either. This is a minor happening and if we wish to close our eyes to the reality of life we can attempt to make into a serious problem and maybe get some pleasure out of blaming Disney for it. That, however, would be incorrect. They are urban creatures because that is where their food source is. WDW could easily be considered a mini-urban area to a rat.

SJN1279

BUT DISNEY HAS MAGIC BANDZZZZ!!!!111!!

Six Flags is creating a 3 minute 20 second dark ride based on the Justice League. While I am excited to test it out, I don't see it being anywhere near Disney or Universal quality. The hype reminds me of how SeaWorld was going to challenge Disney with Antartica. I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom