The Spirited Back Nine ...

SJN1279

So far, I haven't heard anything but *****ing about another screen based attraction. Probably a low capacity one at that.

Although, it may kneecap Soarin' over Pandora.

A low capacity Jimmy Fallon hosted simulator based attraction sounds like something you could ride at the Empire State building. I doubt it will challenge Pandora.

lazyboy97o

Six Flags is creating a 3 minute 20 second dark ride based on the Justice League. While I am excited to test it out, I don't see it being anywhere near Disney or Universal quality. The hype reminds me of how SeaWorld was going to challenge Disney with Antartica. I'll believe it when I see it.
The hype is over a slow, but general turn back towards small dark rides by Cedar Fair and Six Flags, as well as other operators who long doubted the public's interest in such small additions. Sally does small rides for small clients, but that does not mean it is automatically cheap junk or without its own charms. The turn back to dark rides is important because it shows that others are realizing what Disney perfected and has largely been forgotten by the big players (Disney and Universal), small experiences which are not marquee attractions but just help to round out a day.

SJN1279

The hype is over a slow, but general turn back towards small dark rides by Cedar Fair and Six Flags, as well as other operators who long doubted the public's interest in such small additions. Sally does small rides for small clients, but that does not mean it is automatically cheap junk or without its own charms. The turn back to dark rides is important because it shows that others are realizing what Disney perfected and has largely been forgotten by the big players (Disney and Universal), small experiences which are not marquee attractions but just help to round out a day.

Little Mermaid, Frozen Norway, Finding Nemo, Toy Story Mania, are all Disney dark rides that have or will have come into existence from 2006-2016.

I don't think is looking at the Justice League attraction as a small experience, it is their version of an e-ticket.

lazyboy97o

Little Mermaid, Frozen Norway, Finding Nemo, Toy Story Mania, are all Disney dark rides that have or will have come into existence from 2006-2016.

I don't think is looking at the Justice League attraction as a small experience, it is their version of an e-ticket.
You're ability to not understand is admirable. Dark rides are not always small experiences and nobody is expecting small rides from regional operators to be huge.

Kman101

Uni builds while Disney plans to build. That's the criticism.

I know that. It's a tired argument IMO. Uni is great, Disney sucks ... blah blah blah. I think we all get it. They can do no wrong. I find it hypocritical, that's all. Not saying you, just quoting you for a reply but still ... I mean, please I get it, but it's just funny to me how praised they are now. They are doing fantastic but let's not make them immune. And yes I know there have been some complaints about screens but I just notice a trend that's frustrating to watch and it seems to be that the same complaints are used over and over again for the sake of complaining and not for the sake of a discussion. I don't know. It's just annoying how the standards are different for the two parks, that's all. And let's be honest, there IS going to be a time when Uni gets complacent again.

And this isn't meant to be a rah rah Disney is amazing post either. Believe me, I'm critical of them. I hate their cash grabs, I hate their sloooooooow pace of building ... of course Uni will look better. That's why CityWalk has restaurants closed. And just like Disney, Uni/IOA has numerous areas that need work. Seuss was looking terrible until just recently. Let's remember they too weren't exactly knocking it out of the park for a long time, and I don't care who owned them at the time.

Kman101

This. I'm hopeful Universal can pull a similar dark ride project out of their hat, and I guess Kong could be (we'll see on that one, I think it's being overpraised before it's even complete ... let's wait and see here folks), but hearing the Twister screen rumor just leaves me eh ... yet a Six Flags announcement actually sparked some interest. It would actually get me into a Six Flags (not a coaster junkie and in FL, so it's not like I can easily go to one).

BrerJon

I usually visit the Parks ( on both coasts ) alone...and i have been not only mistaken for the Cast Member more times then i can count, i have ALSO been asked several times to take surveys when exiting the Parks.
I would say it has happened almost every visit for many years now.

I actually enjoy taking them, and giving them a opinion on whatever topic it may be that day.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong then to never get asked? I must just look really unapproachable, or they have a sense that I'm going to tell them what I *really* think of the parks without a hint of pixie dust so stay well clear!

Last edited:

Rodan75

I think this is more about preparing the studios for Catmull-less future. His role in the wage fixing scandal, for which he could go to jail, and his age, he'll be seventy next year, are the main drivers of this announcement.

I agree on setting the studios up for the future, but I disagree on the wage fixing scandal, no one is going to jail for that. It will continue to make news, the big animation firms will pay a fine and it will go away. Even CA won't jail execs from a few of the only studios still hiring talent in CA. Runaway production will escalate even more quickly.

I'm assuming this will get settled with a half billion dollar settlement from the companies into a 'pension' fund of some sort for folks who may have been affected. (A half billion dollars that could have been better spent raising wages to min wage employees)

But let's talk reality for a moment, that non-compete agreement the studios forged was essential to their survival. Pixar and ILM would have survived, but would the smaller studios have survived? Ore if they did, do you think they would have stayed in the US? These studios are doing work in the US and in CA because of this non-compete. While it is unfair that these animators aren't able to bargain up wages because of competition, it isn't as if they aren't well compensated. And these jobs going offshore would have only made their incomes worse.

If we want to talk wage fixing, let's go back to where it really matters and focus on the minimum wage and folks doing back breaking labor for $8.00/hr.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom