The Spirited Back Nine ...

FrankLapidus

Only the parks ... that is where Disney needs to be pushing the envelope.

Rubbish, Disney should be pushing the envelope in every area.

Whether you like it not animation was the lifeblood of the company long before the parks were a reality, there would be no parks without Disney animation. One's success doesn't hurt the other, both have shown that they are more than capable of pushing the envelope together so undercutting animation to try and boost the parks is not at all a solution to P&R's problems.

The parks are not faltering because of animation, one division has the right leadership and is thriving while the other is suffering because its leadership quite simply doesn't care enough. If you want the parks fixed then look at and question the people in charge of the division.

Last edited:

TeriofTerror

Whether you like it not animation was the lifeblood of the company long before the parks were a reality, there would be no parks without Disney animation. One's success doesn't hurt the other, both have shown that they are more than capable of pushing the envelope together so undercutting animation to try and boost the parks is not at all a solution to P&R's problems.

The parks are not faltering because of animation, one division has the right leadership and is thriving while the other is suffering because its leadership quite simply doesn't care enough. If you want the parks fixed then look at and question the people in charge of the division.
Agreed. And it has been well established that the different divisions of the company don't share budgets. It's not as though if Animation had some spare change lying around, P&R would be able to get their grubby little paws on it.
If anything, I'd say the opposite is true. As sick as I am of anything Frozen-related, there's no denying that interest in that property has impacted park attendance, which would in turn lead to increased P&R revenue.

SirLink

Hah .... I personally think all Disney's leadership is truly bad ... but that statement is laughable at best, see Norway, Living Seas, Tomorrowland, etc.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How I miss the days of only 9 working channels, and even they didn't run 24/7
800px-RCA_Indian_Head_test_pattern_t.jpg

I remember this - do you KNOW why RCA included a warrior with a full warbonnet, Hint it was technical.

FrankLapidus

Hah .... I personally think all Disney's leadership is truly bad ... but that statement is laughable at best, see Norway, Living Seas, Tomorrowland, etc.

All examples of the current poor leadership at P&R, that they shoehorn animation's successes into areas where they don't belong thematically because they themselves possess no creative vision amongst them and have either stifled or turfed out those who do.

The parks need a shake-up at the top, punishing animation is not the way to do that. Get rid of the beancounters who've presided over the downturn, who've relentlessly cut costs and treat their employees like dirt. Establish a clear vision for the future of the parks, fix what needs to be fixed with quality rather than cheap stopgaps. Leave Lasseter at animation if that helps, try and find someone else with his enthusiasm for Disney parks and his ability to establish a core collective of creative talent to help achieve that vision.

But cutting costs at animation will achieve nothing, unless you want to punish a division for being successful and actually pushing the envelope. The problems at P&R are internal and long-standing, its a lack of care and respect that begins at the top and has filtered down, that prioritises emptying guests' wallets over giving them the best experience they can have at the parks. Start at the top and flush those people out, get rid of the cost-obsessed and morale-draining environment they've created.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A high of 0 is delightful compared to a Polar Vortex in far northern Wisconsin. -40 without windchill. It was so cold that the nav screen in my vehicle was frozen and wouldn't move. I was out snowmobiling the night before in -20ish and it wasn't bad, a little brisk at times but overall I was comfortable. But -40 is just absurd.

Been there done that at -38 the cover for the tail gate latch on our SUV shattered when touched.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A shame it did not have better timing with it*s original release date.
Still convinced it would have been a smash hit following after the release of the first *POTC* film.

It's a shame it wasn't actually entertaining or engaging... It's a good thing they put it in the vacuum of space.. so what little was there expanded to fit the size of a feature film.

SirLink

All examples of the current poor leadership at P&R, that they shoehorn animation's successes into areas where they don't belong thematically because they themselves possess no creative vision amongst them and have either stifled or turfed out those who do.

The parks need a shake-up at the top, punishing animation is not the way to do that. Get rid of the beancounters who've presided over the downturn, who've relentlessly cut costs and treat their employees like dirt. Establish a clear vision for the future of the parks, fix what needs to be fixed with quality rather than cheap stopgaps. Leave Lasseter at animation if that helps, try and find someone else with his enthusiasm for Disney parks and his ability to establish a core collective of creative talent to help achieve that vision.

But cutting costs at animation will achieve nothing, unless you want to punish a division for being successful and actually pushing the envelope. The problems at P&R are internal and long-standing, its a lack of care and respect that begins at the top and has filtered down, that prioritises emptying guests' wallets over giving them the best experience they can have at the parks. Start at the top and flush those people out, get rid of the cost-obsessed and morale-draining environment they've created.

Yes I agree but all leadership has to be fumigated from TWDC, the only one that I've seen that has a braincell is Alan Horn everyone else though ....

Lasseter has the balls of most at TWDC if he was such the "creative" genius people claim he would black ball most if not all ideas to insert the characters in the parks ... the reason why he doesn't is that he is yet just another egomaniac at the company.

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment that you have that they are pushing the envelope, and whilst they are developing new tech. They are telling those same boring black and white morality tales since the company began, the greyness of the human condition is where the animated features should be going.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Only the parks ... that is where Disney needs to be pushing the envelope.
By all means. They should absolutely start slashing budget in the section of the company that brings in the largest share of revenue.

Or

What should be encouraged is that the spirit of innovation that exists in their film divisions today be present in their parks and resorts division as well.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Pretty easy to be in the lumbersexual ethos. I havent shaved for two days, Im wearing a thermal and blue jeans and I just got in from the woods, (i was putting carrots behind our fence for the deer that walk through). Now, Wheres my membership card?

Please submit photos for review, along with a pic of you in mouse ears so we know it's legit. ;)

SirLink

By all means. They should absolutely start slashing budget in the section of the company that brings in the largest share of revenue.

Or

What should be encouraged is that the spirit of innovation that exists in their film divisions today be present in their parks and resorts division as well.

Que?

I hope your not saying that Studio Entertainment, including WDAS and Pixar, brings in the largest share of revenue. Because your wrong it is Media Networks, i.e. ESPN, and Parks and Resorts that bring in way more revenue for the company...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom