The Spirited Back Nine ...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Que?

I hope your not saying that Studio Entertainment, including WDAS and Pixar, brings in the largest share of revenue. Because your wrong it is Media Networks, i.e. ESPN, and Parks and Resorts that bring in way more revenue for the company...
I was speaking more in terms of content creation, so yes, I was bringing a few divisions together. Misspeak and mea culpa.

truecoat

Yes, you need to support that. It means that all data is kept neutral.

Otherwise..... Ruthless internet providers like Comcast can throttle back access to particular sites like Netflix, Hulu, etc., unless you pay more money.

It would essentially kill the Internet in America.

I love how Sen. Cruz is calling net neutrality Obamacare for the internet. I wonder where he gets his campaign contributions?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not sure if it's why, but I believe its use was for brightness and contrast adjustment.

You are correct my good man!, It was indeed to adjust brightness and contrast and it was carefully designed so it could be done with the naked eye, Contrast that to the SMPTE color bars which need to be viewed with a dark blue filter with one eye closed and the brightness and contrast adjusted so that you have a pattern of evenly lit light and dark bars.

Disneyhead'71

You are correct my good man!, It was indeed to adjust brightness and contrast and it was carefully designed so it could be done with the naked eye, Contrast that to the SMPTE color bars which need to be viewed with a dark blue filter with one eye closed and the brightness and contrast adjusted so that you have a pattern of evenly lit light and dark bars.
But SMPTE Color Bars, when used in conjunction with a Waveform Monitor and Vectorscope, are far more useful after color TV became the standard.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Problem is there are TWO flavors of net neutrality,

1 - Techie version, Don't mangle my packets and don't drop packets from services which compete with yours, Under this version companies are free to pay for enhanced QOS, But ISP's are not allowed to put all packets who DONT PAY UP in queue 9999 on the SANDVINE or equivalent system or drop them altogether.

2 - ISP version, They want all content providers to PAY for access to their customers and be 'FREE' to drop packets from competing services or use the SANDVINE to slow them down to the point of uselessness. This is the version which FCC is pushing back on, But pols like it because it allows them to reward their supporters by giving them a role as gatekeeper to the internet and the only argument is how much to charge.

Under this model Comcast would be free for instance to charge Disney for access to their subscriber base, So under this version of 'The Internet' we would see domains vanish as channels do on cable and satellite systems.

The only fix for this is to get ISP's out of the content business and into the transport only business which removes the inherent conflict of interest. Cruz is right for a change on this as the "ISP" version of "net non-neutrality" will indeed break the internet.

Bairstow

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment that you have that they are pushing the envelope, and whilst they are developing new tech. They are telling those same boring black and white morality tales since the company began, the greyness of the human condition is where the animated features should be going.

Can you give some live-action examples of the kinds of stories you're advocating Disney try to sell to a family audience?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But SMPTE Color Bars, when used in conjunction with a Waveform Monitor and Vectorscope, are far more useful after color TV became the standard.

Definitely agree on that, On the vectorscope you just need to get the trace into the error boxes and you are good at least as far as the transmitted signal goes. Adjusting monitors much harder :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I love how Sen. Cruz is calling net neutrality Obamacare for the internet. I wonder where he gets his campaign contributions?

He's got three things right about it that are in common with the ACA...
90% of what people think it is.. it's not
and
The law of unintended consequences will come back to bite people
and
Most people support it out of emotions or what they are told.. vs actually understanding what it aims to do

Net neutrality is not 'ensure my netflix is cheap and good'

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
He's got two things right about it that are in common with the ACA...
90% of what people think it is.. it's not
and
The law of unintended consequences will come back to bite people

Net neutrality is not 'ensure my netflix is cheap and good'

And bite them HARD when their favorite website disappears because it could not pay the 'carriage fee' to EVERY ISP in the US.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Can you give some live-action examples of the kinds of stories you're advocating Disney try to sell to a family audience?
What about a story of a group of friends who have come together, had their personal differences, grown as individuals, and as friends in their common love and support of family. The friends go through love, loss, abandonment, finding their place in a world as their family grows up and moves along with their lives. Friends who are willing to accept their mortality, and who learn to accept their place in an evolving world, as long as they stay true to each other.
_66006709_toy-story-304.jpg

ABQ

The only fix for this is to get ISP's out of the content business and into the transport only business which removes the inherent conflict of interest. Cruz is right for a change on this as the "ISP" version of "net non-neutrality" will indeed break the internet.
Yeah, good luck to the person who feels they can get NBC/Universal to give up Xfinity Internet.

Bairstow

What about a story of a group of friends who have come together, had their personal differences, grown as individuals, and as friends in their common love and support of family. The friends go through love, loss, abandonment, finding their place in a world as their family grows up and moves along with their lives. Friends who are willing to accept their mortality, and who learn to accept their place in an evolving world, as long as they stay true to each other.
_66006709_toy-story-304.jpg

I don't think that's "grey" enough for what @SirLink had in mind, but let's let him answer for himself.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And bite them HARD when their favorite website disappears because it could not pay the 'carriage fee' to EVERY ISP in the US.

More like... bandwidth costs go up because of the elimination on 'preferential' agreements that exist today... you know.. those 'free exchange of data' that exist today? If you can't afford to do that for everyone, you can't do it for anyone, so instead we go back to paid exchanges. That's your 'equality' for you.. everyone pays.

PhotoDave219

Problem is there are TWO flavors of net neutrality,

1 - Techie version, Don't mangle my packets and don't drop packets from services which compete with yours, Under this version companies are free to pay for enhanced QOS, But ISP's are not allowed to put all packets who DONT PAY UP in queue 9999 on the SANDVINE or equivalent system or drop them altogether.

2 - ISP version, They want all content providers to PAY for access to their customers and be 'FREE' to drop packets from competing services or use the SANDVINE to slow them down to the point of uselessness. This is the version which FCC is pushing back on, But pols like it because it allows them to reward their supporters by giving them a role as gatekeeper to the internet and the only argument is how much to charge.

Under this model Comcast would be free for instance to charge Disney for access to their subscriber base, So under this version of 'The Internet' we would see domains vanish as channels do on cable and satellite systems.

Ted Cruz is absolutely wrong.

Under his model, you could be forced by Comcast to pay $10 a month to access this very website.

It's all a way The cable companies you continue to make obscene amounts of money.

The Internet should be classified as a public utility, which is exactly what it is.

This is a giant problem for all of us. And we should all be very concerned and tell the FCC that we support net neutrality oppose the cable companies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom