The Spirited Back Nine ...

GrammieBee

Heck, I grew up and worked in upstate NY. Lots of snow storms. For all I care they could call a snow storm Tweety Pie if they wanted. The only information I want is their best estimate as to when it is expected and how much are we supposed to get.

Obviously the weather channel, like any other commercial channel, is just trying to beef up their ratings and people buy into all the hype..

flynnibus

Premium Member
So what did we learn today class?

• If you take a 30min or 1hr topic and try to make it into a 24/7 topic - you just created the scenario where people will create BS to fill the space
  • If you create more and more channels - people will go further and further in trying to ensure you watch THEIR channel

Combine those lessons and you will be able to explain the stupidity most people complain about on cable TV since the dawn of 'hundreds of tv channels'

ABQ

So what did we learn today class?

• If you take a 30min or 1hr topic and try to make it into a 24/7 topic - you just created the scenario where people will create BS to fill the space
  • If you create more and more channels - people will go further and further in trying to ensure you watch THEIR channel

Combine those lessons and you will be able to explain the stupidity most people complain about on cable TV since the dawn of 'hundreds of tv channels'
How I miss the days of only 9 working channels, and even they didn't run 24/7
800px-RCA_Indian_Head_test_pattern_t.jpg

RivieraJenn

How I miss the days of only 9 working channels, and even they didn't run 24/7
800px-RCA_Indian_Head_test_pattern_t.jpg

The very first time in my life that I felt "old" (and this is relative, as I'm only in my 30s now) was when I made a comment about the days when nothing aired on television overnight. A younger colleague simply stared at me in disbelief, then said, with horror in her voice, "T.V. wasn't always on all night?"

ABQ

The very first time in my life that I felt "old" (and this is relative, as I'm only in my 30s now) was when I made a comment about the days when nothing aired on television overnight. A younger colleague simply stared at me in disbelief, then said, with horror in her voice, "T.V. wasn't always on all night?"
Steven Spielberg was lucky, as if TV had always run all night, Carrie Anne of Poltergeist would have been speaking to ghosts through an infomercial for the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie. "Go into the light....Set it and Forget it!!!" They're here!

Bolna

We dont name thunderstorms, do we? Theres no need to name them. Besides, what gets named and what doesnt? Its insanely arbitrary.

Here in Germany all low pressure systems and high pressure systems that have an influence on weather in Europe will get a name. This tradition was started by meteorologists at the Freie Universität in (then West) Berlin in the 1950s (this was inspired by the naming system for hurricanes). The naming system was at first only used by meteorologists and only picked up by German media in 1990 during the storms Vivian and Wiebke (extratropical cyclones, the type of pretty bad storms that we get here in Europe and the strongest of them are comparable to hurricanes). I have no idea whether the German tradition of naming all systems is what inspired the US media though!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom