The Spirited Back Nine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, good luck to the person who feels they can get NBC/Universal to give up Xfinity Internet.

If ISP's are classified as 'common carriers' NBCU would not need to divest itself of Xfinity Internet but they would need to run it as a separate division which provides access services only, No more of this 'triple-play' BRAVO-SIERRA.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
More like... bandwidth costs go up because of the elimination on 'preferential' agreements that exist today... you know.. those 'free exchange of data' that exist today? If you can't afford to do that for everyone, you can't do it for anyone, so instead we go back to paid exchanges. That's your 'equality' for you.. everyone pays.

Exchanges are still paid at least for the backbone carriers L3 etc, It's just that there are reciprocal agreements in place. But the ISP's want to charge for access to their customers the backbones dont care.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ted Cruz is absolutely wrong.

Under his model, you could be forced by Comcast to pay $10 a month to access this very website

FUD - The problem is lumping everything under one umbrella... so people take their fringe stuff and attack the bigger picture.

The problem with the proposals is they force uniformity... and not necessarily GOOD uniformity.. but it would be uniform.. isn't that special?

Would the world be better if we forced all airlines to only offer coach class? Airline neutrality!
Would the world be better if we only had one flavor of ice cream? We couldn't allow vendors to discriminate against different brands or flavors could we? Flavor neutrality for all!!

What people fail to comprehend is.. when you try to force uniformity or equality... you eliminate both stuff above AND below the line.

Imagine being a hosting company... and being told you have to add capacity for anyone who walks up and says "give me a port" on the same terms you agreed to with someone who actually helps you? Imagine no longer being able to horse trade services that benefit you as a way of offsetting costs.

No one wants discrimination against certain traffic - the problem is the ideal doesn't work uncapped and in universal terms.

Wait until you all cry because your neighbor is saturating the network and the ISP can't do anything about it.. except reduce the amount of oversubscription they do... hence driving up YOUR costs. Ya! Net neutrality... higher costs... but we can all hug a tree and say we did the right thing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Here is a simple find explainer courtesy of the oatmeal…

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/net_neutrality

And Cgp gray has a three minute video that really explains this easily.

This isn't a political thing. It's not liberal, it's not Democrat. I'm certainly not trying to go in that direction with this. What it boils down to? Big Business.

Best Description of Net Neutrality as it should be that I've seen in a LONG time, Secondly this is a political issue as with the ISP as gatekeeper they are free to block political speech they don't like, Replace 'Great Firewall of China' with your local ISP - a distinction without a difference.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Problem is there are TWO flavors of net neutrality,

1 - Techie version, Don't mangle my packets and don't drop packets from services which compete with yours, Under this version companies are free to pay for enhanced QOS, But ISP's are not allowed to put all packets who DONT PAY UP in queue 9999 on the SANDVINE or equivalent system or drop them altogether.

2 - ISP version, They want all content providers to PAY for access to their customers and be 'FREE' to drop packets from competing services or use the SANDVINE to slow them down to the point of uselessness. This is the version which FCC is pushing back on, But pols like it because it allows them to reward their supporters by giving them a role as gatekeeper to the internet and the only argument is how much to charge.

Under this model Comcast would be free for instance to charge Disney for access to their subscriber base, So under this version of 'The Internet' we would see domains vanish as channels do on cable and satellite systems.

The only fix for this is to get ISP's out of the content business and into the transport only business which removes the inherent conflict of interest. Cruz is right for a change on this as the "ISP" version of "net non-neutrality" will indeed break the internet.
Psssh, we cant even get politicians to separate themselves from clear conflicts of interest. I doubt the internet would be any different.

The minute that the internet can be bought and sold to the highest bidder... we are all screwed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
FUD - The problem is lumping everything under one umbrella... so people take their fringe stuff and attack the bigger picture.

The problem with the proposals is they force uniformity... and not necessarily GOOD uniformity.. but it would be uniform.. isn't that special?

Would the world be better if we forced all airlines to only offer coach class? Airline neutrality!
Would the world be better if we only had one flavor of ice cream? We couldn't allow vendors to discriminate against different brands or flavors could we? Flavor neutrality for all!!

What people fail to comprehend is.. when you try to force uniformity or equality... you eliminate both stuff above AND below the line.

Imagine being a hosting company... and being told you have to add capacity for anyone who walks up and says "give me a port" on the same terms you agreed to with someone who actually helps you? Imagine no longer being able to horse trade services that benefit you as a way of offsetting costs.

No one wants discrimination against certain traffic - the problem is the ideal doesn't work uncapped and in universal terms.

Wait until you all cry because your neighbor is saturating the network and the ISP can't do anything about it.. except reduce the amount of oversubscription they do... hence driving up YOUR costs. Ya! Net neutrality... higher costs... but we can all hug a tree and say we did the right thing.

No sane person is against proper network management but proper network management is a long way from charging on a per domain/packet basis as the ISP's dream about. The internet is about oversubscription but at some point refusing to build capacity and instead charging for access to popular services becomes simple gouging and once again points to the american propensity for financial engineering instead of the engineering we USED to do and the current net neutrality debate is all about financial engineering.

Example TDS which primarily runs rural telcos is in the process of moving it's entire network to GPON 1GB service it's a big investment but it's cheaper because after each thunderstorm they would replace 20-30 copper line cards in our district but with the GPON deployment they are not replacing any.

While Verizon has stopped FIOS (GPON) and even in NYC you can only get crappy DSL in many locations VZ wants to sell 10GB of LTE as an 'acceptable' replacement for cabled internet service.

I'm beyond disgusted with ISP behavior in the US.

ABQ

This isn't a political thing. It's not liberal, it's not Democrat. I'm certainly not trying to go in that direction with this. What it boils down to? Big Business.

Thanks, and hooray for their choice of imagery for "games" λ

flynnibus

Premium Member

See my earlier posts about people defending when they don't even understand it. Just because I make an infographic or comic it doesn't mean I know w t h I'm talking about.

Another gross simplification that is full of inaccuracies and totally misses the unintended consequences of what they preach.

Here's a simple one for people... QoS - it's not a new idea, and it would not be allowed under 'all data is equal' mentality.

Second - the utility analogies are poor.. because if you pay attention to your bill, you aren't paying for bit consumption from your ISP.. but you are paying for watt Consumption from your electric company. And just because Telsa comes along and says 'you really want this new super high load service' (aka netflix) the electric company doesn't have to come and upgrade the wires to your house just because you bought a telsa. You want more conduit.. you have to pay for it.

And the big threat of 'if we don't have this... they COULD DO THIS..' - could do? They've already been operating all this time without any regulation preventing those behaviors... in a period where competition for providers was WORSE than it is now. There is a reason providers haven't done these things.. and it's not some fictitious regulation that existing before.

These videos and the like are popular because they are one way propaganda that can't be contested or challenged with counter points.

Make a cool video... make it catchy.. and promote! Throw a couple FUD bits in there.. and you'll be the darling of the social media circles.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Exchanges are still paid at least for the backbone carriers L3 etc, It's just that there are reciprocal agreements in place. But the ISP's want to charge for access to their customers the backbones dont care.

Key word... 'reciprocal' - that's the problem. The world has changed... its no longer about peers... but about networks built just to PUSH data... not equal exchange. CDNs, and backbones built with explicit traffic and distribution in mind. Longhaul-only companies goto a netflix and say "I'll sell you the best network ever!" and sell that.. but they don't have the ability to go end to end... instead it's a network sold to a customer on the premise you can hand off to the last mile. Then you goto the last mile providers and say "hey, I'm just another internet peer, let's exchange traffic.. its all cool... we'll just trade as equals". But they are NOT equals... one is just a content pusher. Then when their demand keeps growing, they expect the ISP to just keep adding. It's not a reciprocal situation... the long haul provider is collecting from netflix for what it demands for 'free' from the last mile provider.

The old models of 'peers' has gotten broken with the idea of content in the datacenters/exchanges and all these leased networks. It's no longer a meeting of equals but a meeting of pushers and pullers.

People are building a business on the pretense that the last mile providers should take their business 'for free' without any mutual benefit. Understandably, eventually the ISPs will start to push back. And that's what's been happening.

If the girl scouts show up at your door and you say "sure I'll buy 2 boxes" - if they show up next week with a truck and say "you need to buy all these cookies.. or else" you shouldn't be forced to take the cookies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
See my earlier posts about people defending when they don't even understand it. Just because I make an infographic or comic it doesn't mean I know w t h I'm talking about.

Another gross simplification that is full of inaccuracies and totally misses the unintended consequences of what they preach.

Here's a simple one for people... QoS - it's not a new idea, and it would not be allowed under 'all data is equal' mentality.

Second - the utility analogies are poor.. because if you pay attention to your bill, you aren't paying for bit consumption from your ISP.. but you are paying for watt Consumption from your electric company. And just because Telsa comes along and says 'you really want this new super high load service' (aka netflix) the electric company doesn't have to come and upgrade the wires to your house just because you bought a telsa. You want more conduit.. you have to pay for it.

And the big threat of 'if we don't have this... they COULD DO THIS..' - could do? They've already been operating all this time without any regulation preventing those behaviors... in a period where competition for providers was WORSE than it is now. There is a reason providers haven't done these things.. and it's not some fictitious regulation that existing before.

These videos and the like are popular because they are one way propaganda that can't be contested or challenged with counter points.

Make a cool video... make it catchy.. and promote! Throw a couple FUD bits in there.. and you'll be the darling of the social media circles.

Under any sane network neutrality - certainly network operators are free to apply QoS within their borders, Other network operators may or may not honor the QoS at their edge, If the traffic is that critical then perhaps MPLS VPN is the proper choice.

Moving to a model which many non-US carriers use where one entity operates the physical plant while services are sold on a equal access basis would lead to a better and faster internet because US internet ranks somewhere about 35'th in speed and capacity.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
No sane person is against proper network management but proper network management is a long way from charging on a per domain/packet basis as the ISP's dream about. The internet is about oversubscription but at some point refusing to build capacity and instead charging for access to popular services becomes simple gouging and once again points to the american propensity for financial engineering instead of the engineering we USED to do and the current net neutrality debate is all about financial engineering.

Example TDS which primarily runs rural telcos is in the process of moving it's entire network to GPON 1GB service it's a big investment but it's cheaper because after each thunderstorm they would replace 20-30 copper line cards in our district but with the GPON deployment they are not replacing any.

While Verizon has stopped FIOS (GPON) and even in NYC you can only get crappy DSL in many locations VZ wants to sell 10GB of LTE as an 'acceptable' replacement for cabled internet service.

I'm beyond disgusted with ISP behavior in the US.

Where does something like 'Google Fiber' fit into all of this? Arent they going to be offering a "free" internet service as well as the "100 X faster service"?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Key word... 'reciprocal' - that's the problem. The world has changed... its no longer about peers... but about networks built just to PUSH data... not equal exchange. CDNs, and backbones built with explicit traffic and distribution in mind. Longhaul-only companies goto a netflix and say "I'll sell you the best network ever!" and sell that.. but they don't have the ability to go end to end... instead it's a network sold to a customer on the premise you can hand off to the last mile. Then you goto the last mile providers and say "hey, I'm just another internet peer, let's exchange traffic.. its all cool... we'll just trade as equals". But they are NOT equals... one is just a content pusher. Then when their demand keeps growing, they expect the ISP to just keep adding. It's not a reciprocal situation... the long haul provider is collecting from netflix for what it demands for 'free' from the last mile provider.

The old models of 'peers' has gotten broken with the idea of content in the datacenters/exchanges and all these leased networks. It's no longer a meeting of equals but a meeting of pushers and pullers.

People are building a business on the pretense that the last mile providers should take their business 'for free' without any mutual benefit. Understandably, eventually the ISPs will start to push back. And that's what's been happening.

If the girl scouts show up at your door and you say "sure I'll buy 2 boxes" - if they show up next week with a truck and say "you need to buy all these cookies.. or else" you shouldn't be forced to take the cookies.

The reality is US ISP's stopped building capacity around the end of the tech bubble 2001-3, Now they are screaming because the new services require basically new buildouts of network capacity which would have been affordable had they kept upgrading and expanding plant and equipment.

Now everything is a decade old and they want to keep showing Wall St their stellar financial performance which largely was achieved through cuts in CAPEX. So now we see caps and 'fast lanes' and BRAVO-SIERRA arguments about how they will no longer be able to afford to build networks.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Please explain...
Because the whole point/problem ISP have with net neutrality is regulation. They want to be FREE to charge whatever they want whether it be to you or the content provider.

Can you imagine Comcast being able to promote Universal's stuff over Disney's? How does that seem okay?

No one should control what content I wish to view but me. Consumers should always be in charge of what they see not ISP.
The fight against Net Neutrality is all about $$$$, nothing more.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Where does something like 'Google Fiber' fit into all of this? Arent they going to be offering a "free" internet service as well as the "100 X faster service"?

Yes - and the incumbent ISP's are suing Google to PREVENT the installation of GOOG fiber in many locations, because for the first time in a decade the incumbent ISP will have to compete based on service and can no longer rely on annual price increases to keep the bottom line fat.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No sane person is against proper network management

Again see 'rule of unintended consequences'

but proper network management is a long way from charging on a per domain/packet basis as the ISP's dream about

Dream about... and the stuff online would make you believe they DID with netflix... but in reality they did not. They did not throttle or squash netflix traffic. What they did was stop adding bandwidth for free to the peering points with the content networks built out to distribute netflix. They refused to keep adding bandwidth even tho the network was hitting saturation. And why should they have to? Because the 'old rules' said they should? The only rules don't apply when you change the game. The oft cited 'handshake agreements' no longer apply when you change the game at hand.

The internet is about oversubscription

Yet advocates would say "they are asking for bits to be paid for twice' - which is not the case... people aren't paying per bit delievered, they are paying for access of a certain tier... access at a consumer level that is built out and sold with the built-in premise of oversubscription and commodity level service. But you won't find that in any of the youtube videos. If you want SLAs and full speed access... most ISPs will be happy to sell that to you. The sheep want to DEMAND that's what they are getting with their cable modem - but its not.. no matter how much they stomp their feet.

at some point refusing to build capacity and instead charging for access to popular services becomes simple gouging and once again points to the american propensity for financial engineering instead of the engineering we USED to do and the current net neutrality debate is all about financial engineering.

More like.. at some point they have to make a stand. And they did. We've heard for a decade+ now how the ISPs are going throttle traffic to protect their baseband video customer base. It didn't happen... and there wasn't any 'net neutrality' that saved us. It was the retionalship between ISPs and customers that ISPs have to face that saved us from that.

Apples and Pineapples there...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom