The Spirited Back Nine ...

CinematicFusion

That was my point.

George Lucas never treated his characters with respect or his worlds. Hell, Jar Jar and the unwatchable film he was in proved that. The absurd merchandise, much of it Disney-related, only adds to that lack of respect.

My point was that JK Rowling was never going to approve of the ABC Family special 'Harry Potter and the Quest For the Christmas Dragon' ... let alone pins of her characters and worlds mashed up with Mickey and the Gang.

Lucas and Disney deserve each other.

Slightly over the top statement.... I mean never treated his characters with respect??? Come on.
He did create the universe...he did write Empire Strikes Back and did the screenplay with Kasdan. He gave
Leigh Brackett credit for the screenplay because he liked her. They didn't use anything she wrote.

Now..Phantom Menance...well...it's like your favorite rock band trying to recreate that amazing album one more time. Lucas wasn't the same director he was when doing Thx-1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars. He wasn't the same creative guy who was writing concepts like apocalypse now or Indiana Jones.
He tried making the best glass of Ice Tea he could make....except everyone wanted Coca-Cola...and he got destroyed for it. Still to this day is getting destroyed. It's impressive really.

We all lose the ability to hit a fastball at some point in our lives. Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys can't create the the follow up to Pet Sounds now. Everyone has that moment to shine if we are lucky.

However...I've never seen a man take it on the chin as hard as he has because of movies he made that weren't critically accepted to a certain audience.

Lesson in life kids of this board....if you are lucky enough to work hard and become successful...there are those who are dying for the chance to destroy you.

JK Rowling just needs to make one big mistake before fans destroy her for never treating her characters with respect.

Give it time, no one is perfect. Merry Christmas from Yoda. :)

yoda-santa-1088x816-116513220127.jpg

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Well I think the good folks over at gawker media have finally explained why we now have a lumberjack show instead of offkilter.

http://t.co/Yl8ltIs7uM
Pretty easy to be in the lumbersexual ethos. I havent shaved for two days, Im wearing a thermal and blue jeans and I just got in from the woods, (i was putting carrots behind our fence for the deer that walk through). Now, Wheres my membership card?

Figments Friend

Well it would of done better if Eisner hadn't gone and panicked and have the guns removed ...

( regarding the film *Treasure Planet* )

I*m not sure what you mean SirLink, as there were plenty of guns present throughout the film.

They may have been futuristic versions of old-style firearms ( particularly for the pirate characters ), but there were several scenes where characters were clearly aiming them at each other and firing away.

Some examples include the action orientated shoot-outs between the pirates and the heroes during a few key scenes, as well as the scene where Jim faces Scroop and aims a firearm point blank to his face.
I cannot think of a Disney animated film with more guns present except *Atlantis*...but then again, you can*t really tell a story involving pirates without them!
;)

Part of the reason i enjoy this film as much as i do is that it was different then the usual Disney animated fare up to that time.
It was more daring in design and content, had a unique sci-fi spin to it, and in my opinion really pushed some artistic boundaries.

A shame it did not have better timing with it*s original release date.
Still convinced it would have been a smash hit following after the release of the first *POTC* film.

FigmentJedi

Last edited:

stlphil

My one glaring observation about this company is its lack of foresight.

They would rather save one dollar today even though it would mean that would have to spend 100 dollars later down the road.
While I agree this is spot on, I'm curious: is there some recent specific example that prompted this comment now (that I may have missed and hence my interest), or is it simply the accumulation of evidence?

Nubs70

My one glaring observation about this company is its lack of foresight.

They would rather save one dollar today even though it would mean that would have to spend 100 dollars later down the road.
But if that $1 doubles every year and they have an 8 year time horizon, they come out $28 ahead.

zweltar

But if that $1 doubles every year and they have an 8 year time horizon, they come out $28 ahead.
And if it, like, tripled, they'd have even more money. Imagine if it quadrupled?!? Whoa....
Or that could be a bunch of bull and no one has any real idea what Disney does with their money because it doesn't make sense anyway...

Skip

Well, fall weather is why I love Boston. Days like today are so great...
View attachment 73273
Taken on Bay State Rd View attachment 73274
Taken from the top of BU College of Arts and Sciences building. My bio class was analyzing CO2 emissions with a device on the roof...such a great day to do it!

(Though after this...it's all downhill ;))

Love seeing pictures of the city - current BU student myself!

SirLink

Or they could continue to push the envelope to develop new tools and techniques to improve their film making.
I didn't think we wanted Disney to rest on their laurels and pump out budget conscious things?

Only the parks ... that is where Disney needs to be pushing the envelope.

Ron Miller said something of that effect to a young John Lasseter, who was experimenting with hand drawn characters in computer generated backgrounds, before he fired him.

-.-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom