The Spirited Back Nine ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
True, true... still... it's hard to imagine the powers that be letting their toons appear in a movie implying that kids were smoking today (even if it was an accurate depiction of the era). I hadn't seen the movie in some time and it certainly stood out to me.

Yeah, I think that's the biggest take-away... it doesn't have that sheltered, cushy feel you expect from a Disney film.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Northern Virginia for me. But hey I love the commonwealth. Born and raised here. I've had the pleasure of experiencing all best things the state has to offer. I'm just over the bitter cold. Over it.

Yep all of is. Born and raised, but it was NEVER this bone chilling, knee killing, back achingly bitter cold when I was little. Over the cold. Over the snow. Over the ice, frozen roads, risking life to get to work. Over. It. All.

And I see no one else mentioned their cities running out of salt half way through the "polar vortex" storm last year and not replenishing supplies for weeks.

Did I mention icy roads and risking life, because it apples, especially when THAT happens. Over it. Over pittsburgh.

That's nuts. Almost as nuts as one of our local Fall festivals about a month ago where Ana and Elsa were taking photos with kids in an urban pumpkin patch type setting. Hay and everything. It would seem those girls are sticking around for a while no? My local Bed Bath and Beyond punched me in the face with Frozen goods soon as I walked thru the door too.

Teeheehee I've seen quite a few ice castle bounce houses with faux snowmen (Olafs cousin, Aloof) and Anna and Elsas slightly disgruntled and barely known twins, Enna and Ulsa.

Then there's the Barnes and noble sing along... Dare I march that pic out again?

Barnes-and-Noble-Frozen-Characters-17-685x385.jpg

Barnes-and-Noble-Frozen-Characters-11.jpg

Last edited:

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I guess it's personal preference. The concept of the "cross-over" has been around nearly as long as stories about popular characters have:
http://io9.com/5833704/a-brief-history-of-the-crossover

For Marvel specifically, it's nearly as old as the Marvel characters themselves. The shared universe that they all inhabited was one of the things that excited young readers. Marvel has crossed over with nearly everything that could be crossed over with. Remember, when comics first were created, each character lived in his own world with no other characters in sight. Once they started crossing paths is when things got interesting.

It goes back past comic books, past Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man, into literature. Heck, Disney Sea uses properties from a set of books that crossed over. Captain Nemo and the Nautilus show up in The Mysterious Island.

In video games, it's been around for many years as well, so much so that it's a standard concept. Marvel vs. Capcom. Mortal Combat vs. DC Comics.

Personally, I have no problem, specifically with Infinity where the rules are fairly set in stone (Donald Duck can't be kicking butt in the Avengers playset alongside Thor, but in the Toy Box where the point is the mashup you can play against convention).

If they start integrating Mickey Mouse into the Marvel cinematic universe, I might raise some issues on the integrity, but in video games, nah. The mash up can be fun. IMO

And the ultimate crossover.... Roger Rabbit with both Disney and WB toons!

the.dreamfinder

Yeah, I think that's the biggest take-away... it doesn't have that sheltered, cushy feel you expect from a Disney film.
And that's coming from a film whose source material is even darker.
http://thedissolve.com/features/mov...cchios-dark-horrorand-darker-source-material/

The Dissolve featured "The Incredibles" last week and "Pinocchio" this week as their movie of the week. The writing on both films has been really excellent and I would encourage everyone to take the opportunity to check them out.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
And that's coming from a film whose source material is even darker.
http://thedissolve.com/features/mov...cchios-dark-horrorand-darker-source-material/

Yeah, but one angle to remember... is the context of the work. We read things today in our 'educated' society with the ideals and expectations that we have of today. Then we criticize or label those works as racist, brutal, dark, etc because we are applying today's PC standards to them. Newspaper serials written in the 1800s had a very different audience in terms of their readers and the world as they knew it. There is also the matter of content length.

A city dweller in 1880 may think absolutely nothing about taking a cleaver to a rat as a way of dealing with it. Today, that might be seen as 'brutal' or 'grotesque' to describe. It might be a single line that didn't phase anyone back then.

Life was a lot more gritty back then.. and when writing to that audience.. your text would probably reflect that. A boy killing pigeons wouldn't even cause a double take back then... kids torment and kill things.. that's what kids would do. Today, we wonder if the kid is a serial killer...

Not having read the source material myself - I don't want to sound as if I'm countering the point of the linked article... but I'm speaking more in general when people today revisit material from another time. Too often we ignore who the audience really was.

WildcatDen

I remember when winter storm "Nemo was around and there were a lot of clown fish jokes… Personally? I think that naming a winter storm trivializes it. People are Not going to take it seriously.
Come on Dave, you wouldn't run out to the local store to stock up on bread, water and peanut butter if Winter Storm Scooter was bearing down on you? Would it be better if they were named after Cheese Steaks?

sweetpee_1993

Every time I see stuff like that, I wonder just how much money those reporters are being paid.
Wouldn't catch me out there! :cautious:

The closest you'll catch me to a big storm is Twister at Universal Studios! :hilarious:
Mr.Clean/Cantore must make a lot. Or he's a bigger deal in his mind than he actually is. When Ike came to the Texas Gulf coast we heard from a friend who witnessed him having a total b**** fit and refusing to go on air because he didn't end up at the center of the action. Heard he's quite the diva. During coverage for that storm we saw footage of another recognizable face playing-up the water inundation which you could clearly see....but we were very familiar with his exact location which was, in fact, in a marsh that ALWAYS has water. Depending on the tide, it has more water that you can sometimes see flowing in. Another friend passed this same reporter and confirmed he was on his his knees at the marsh edge just off the roadway.

It's all about the ratings.

I would go to actual storm locations and do that job for free. I'd even consider paying them.

ProfSavage

Mr.Clean/Cantore must make a lot. Or he's a bigger deal in his mind than he actually is. When Ike came to the Texas Gulf coast we heard from a friend who witnessed him having a total b**** fit and refusing to go on air because he didn't end up at the center of the action. Heard he's quite the diva. During coverage for that storm we saw footage of another recognizable face playing-up the water inundation which you could clearly see....but we were very familiar with his exact location which was, in fact, in a marsh that ALWAYS has water. Depending on the tide, it has more water that you can sometimes see flowing in. Another friend passed this same reporter and confirmed he was on his his knees at the marsh edge just off the roadway.

It's all about the ratings.

I would go to actual storm locations and do that job for free. I'd even consider paying them.

As someone who grew up in Central Florida, hurricane/storm reporting is the most annoying thing to watch ever.

SirLink

Highly recommend a viewing.
A interesting twist to the ol' 'Treasure Planet' story...with some gorgeous artwork and cool concepts.
Excellent animation too, particularly Silver and Dr. Doppler.

To this day i am convinced 'Treasure Planet' would have been a bigger box office success if it came out just a couple of years later then it's actual release date.
The world was 'pirate crazy' after the huge success of 'POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl' and having 'Treasure' as a follow up shorty afterwards would have made it a huge hit.
At the time of it's release, i think it was largely ignored...which is a shame as it was very well done.

Well it would of done better if Eisner hadn't gone and panicked and have the guns removed ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom