The Spirited Back Nine ...

Cesar R M

Nothing to add, just wanted to use this animated gif...

tumblr_m0fv2jOpb41qb73iu.gif
gQVLhrU.gif

FigmentJedi

This is very odd, and quite out of the blue, but because they've kept it such a surprise, and the surrounding internet hype this will make, I can see it doing very well indeed. Can anyone else think of a film of that scale that has been kept secret until a few weeks before release?

Even the animation community hadn't heard anything about the film until yesterday. When Disney first registered the 'Strange Magic' domains, many thought it was for a Frozen sequel.

There's no scheduled international dates (probably not to compete with Big Hero 6 which doesn't open in many countries until next year), and no trailers have been seen... it's like the movie just dropped out of the sky, which makes me think there's a pretty interesting story behind its production, or at least the marketing strategy.

It's animated by Lucasfilm in Singapore who have done a good job on Rebels and Clone Wars, so it's unlikely to be a total dud either as they usually do a good job. This ain't no Disney Planes.
Actually, there was news about Lucasfilm Animation doing a fairy project a couple years ago, but nothing else until just now.

CentralFLlife

Since when did we start referring to an arctic low-pressure system as a polar vortex?

It bugs the living **** out of me when where marketing terms are suddenly felt into meteorology with the intention of scaring people so they can get advertising dollars or page clicks.

See also http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_vortex
Since about 1952 when it was discovered apparently. It seems this year they are throwing the term around quite loosely, people have called what we are in now a polar vortex. Which is ridiculous considering it has been less than a year since we have experience the actual polar vortex.

PhotoDave219

We have used Polar Vortex, but made it a strict rule to never use the stupid Weather Channel storm names.
Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of handy for the Weather Channel to name major storms and events?
It makes for good conversation and is much easier to search for and talk about than generic terms like, "that one storm we had back in 1993 that knocked out all the power in Alabama for a week" or whatever.

Yes. Yes you are. Because the only reason they're naming them it is in an attempt to market the storms through social media.

When you look at everything their vice president of talked about in discussing this, it's simply attempts to market them and to gain ratings from them. They looked at the organic name to storms like Snowpacalypse & snowmageddon That grew organically from the Washington DC area… And are attempting to capitalize on it.

They specifically referred to hashtags and searching on social media as reasons why they're doing this. So I must reject this with every fiber of my being

Bairstow

Yes. Yes you are. Because the only reason they're naming them it is in an attempt to market the storms through social media.

When you look at everything their vice president of talked about in discussing this, it's simply attempts to market them and to gain ratings from them. They looked at the organic name to storms like Snowpacalypse & snowmageddon That grew organically from the Washington DC area… And are attempting to capitalize on it.

They specifically referred to hashtags and searching on social media as reasons why they're doing this. So I must reject this with every fiber of my being

Their reasons for doing so notwithstanding, I don't see anything wrong with using a bit of flair to increase the public's attention and enthusiasm for the weather.

spaceghost

Remember Roger Rabbit was not released under the Disney banner.. but Touchstone and Amblin.
True, true... still... it's hard to imagine the powers that be letting their toons appear in a movie implying that kids were smoking today (even if it was an accurate depiction of the era). I hadn't seen the movie in some time and it certainly stood out to me.

stevehousse

I'm sure that if Treasure Planet had been released during a different time of the year it would have had a solid run. You have to remember that it opened up Thanksgiving weekend, with direct competition with a Harry Potter film and disneys own Santa Claus 2. It really stood no chance at that time unfortunately, because the film is really good.

They even had a sequel in the works before the film even hit the cinema, but after opening weekend all work on the project was cancelled...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm sure that if Treasure Planet had been released during a different time of the year it would have had a solid run. You have to remember that it opened up Thanksgiving weekend, with direct competition with a Harry Potter film and disneys own Santa Claus 2. It really stood no chance at that time unfortunately, because the film is really good.

They even had a sequel in the works before the film even hit the cinema, but after opening weekend all work on the project was cancelled...
Being sequel worthy is a measure of a quality movie?

TP2000

except the quakes, right?

As much fun as earthquake jokes are, actually....

Almost all of immense San Diego County (at 4,500 square miles a bit smaller than the entire state of Connecticut), and certainly the City of San Diego itself, is at minimal risk for major earthquakes. There can be minor temblors in San Diego, or the risk of slightly feeling major earthquakes happening further away in California or Mexico. But the fault lines and tectonic plates do not favor more than a minor quake for the San Diego metro area. Rattle a few dishes, scare the cat type of quake, once per decade or so.

On this shake map, San Diego County is the mostly green square in the far southwest corner of California.

shakepotentialmap48.png

The risk for major earthquakes, and thus damage, is greater in the Los Angeles metro area, and far greater in the San Francisco Bay area, hundreds of miles from San Diego proper.

San Diego is truly perfect, beyond it's perfect climate. And did we mention how attractive the locals are? :cool:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom