The Spirited 11th Hour ...

DisneyRoy

It was hyped a lot. I remember some of our famous commentators (was it @PhotoDave219 , @ParentsOf4 or @WDW1974 )shared a link, where the "expectations by analysts" claimed that unless the movie outgrossed avatar, it would be considered a "failure" for the "wall street" stock price guys..

Just remember that it DID outgross Avatar in domestic earnings. And it's not even close. It out grossed it by more than $160 million! That in itself is a feat to be proud of for them. Just because it didn't have the legs overseas in markets that it shouldn't have is nothing to be worried about.

DisneyRoy

Okay.

In any event the tinfoil hat theory that Episode 8 has been delayed because Disney are worried that Star Wars is not as popular as they first thought is one that has no basis in reality.

I agree with you. I think Episode 8 was changed because they saw the massive success of Episode 7 in that holiday spot and they want to recreate that again. I think that's the only reason it was moved. Nothing to do with production issues.

FigmentJedi

I agree with you. I think Episode 8 was changed because they saw the massive success of Episode 7 in that holiday spot and they want to recreate that again. I think that's the only reason it was moved. Nothing to do with production issues.
I did hear they decided to expand the screentime of a few characters after how well they were received (Poe), so there is some rewrites going on.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It was hyped a lot. I remember some of our famous commentators (was it @PhotoDave219 , @ParentsOf4 or @WDW1974 )shared a link, where the "expectations by analysts" claimed that unless the movie outgrossed avatar, it would be considered a "failure" for the "wall street" stock price guys..

As indeed it was and IS considered by Wall St to be a failure, Wall St wanted it to beat avatar by a huge margin hence the mythical 3 billion dollar box office which would have returned about 1B to TWDC as most formulas return about 1/3 of box office revenue to the studio. It did not do that and with that "Failure" and ESPN's troubles Disney's stock has taken a beating ever since. Since it's TWDC the ONLY opinion which matter's is Wall St's

DisDan

As indeed it was and IS considered by Wall St to be a failure, Wall St wanted it to beat avatar by a huge margin hence the mythical 3 billion dollar box office which would have returned about 1B to TWDC as most formulas return about 1/3 of box office revenue to the studio. It did not do that and with that "Failure" and ESPN's troubles Disney's stock has taken a beating ever since. Since it's TWDC the ONLY opinion which matter's is Wall St's

So let me get this right, in your mind, there exists someone or some group of people who view Star Wars as a failure? WOW you are something else.

indyumd

They almost have to have such expectations.l because of the cost of the films.

This isn't true at all. The Force Awakens had a $200M budget, which isn't in the Top 50 most-expensive movies of all time, adjusted for inflation. There are 24 movies that have had higher budgets in the last ten years.

There are 3 movies that have made $2B in the history of cinema. $2B is not the "expectation" for a movie to be successful. Blatantly not true.

Its also blatantly not true that Wall Street considers Star Wars to be a failure.

lazyboy97o

This isn't true at all. The Force Awakens had a $200M budget, which isn't in the Top 50 most-expensive movies of all time, adjusted for inflation. There are 24 movies that have had higher budgets in the last ten years.

There are 3 movies that have made $2B in the history of cinema. $2B is not the "expectation" for a movie to be successful. Blatantly not true.

Its also blatantly not true that Wall Street considers Star Wars to be a failure.
Disney spent another estimated $250 million on marketing. That puts the rough break even point at $900 million. Costs of successive films tends to go up and Disney is still going to want buckets of money from each. Disney is well known for having unrealistic expectations and making decisions based on them.

indyumd

Disney spent another estimated $250 million on marketing. That puts the rough break even point at $900 million. Costs of successive films tends to go up and Disney is still going to want buckets of money from each. Disney is well known for having unrealistic expectations and making decisions based on them.

The combined marketing and production budget for The Force Awakens was about $350M, according to Variety and THR.

You are conflating what Disney wanted The Force Awakens to do with what constitutes a success. Disney had realistic hopes of what it would do (which was never $3B), but The Force Awakens is a successful film at anything over $1B. And the expectations had nothing to do with the expense of the production and marketing of the film.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So let me get this right, in your mind, there exists someone or some group of people who view Star Wars as a failure? WOW you are something else.

You don't get it Wall St was looking for 2.5-3 billion for TFA they DID NOT get that. So in the weird alternate universe that is today's Wall St TFA is a failure. Remember Iger was trying to damp down the totally unrealistic expectations the Street had for TFA because he knew if they analyst estimates were not met the stock would take a hit as it indeed did.

Was TFA a success by normal measures yes it was. But to the 'Street not so much

Cesar R M

I just hope Disney doesn't expect every film to hit $2+ billion. There was huge pent up demand for Episode VII that won't be there for the other yearly releases.
Agree, more because they will try to make the movies as "broad" and as "generic" to appease all groups. that it might ruin the movie itself.
Deadpool is a fine example of great movie done by people who loved it with no bs from the film companies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom