The Spirited 11th Hour ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That is horse ****. Routing *IS* about making the forwarding decisions based on the protocol layer instead of the MAC layer. That is what routing is, and what makes it a router. Routing protocols are simply about how routers distribute knowledge about what the routing tables should be... They can also just be STATIC routes.. which is what the home routers do.. because there is no need when you only have 1-3 networks you will make decisions on.

A router sitting there running a static table is just as much a router as a device advertising it's routes and updating it's table dynamically based on a routing protocol.

Another 'wrong'. Routing can be done in hardware too.. it's pretty much the core principle of the old guard of Cisco technology where they would invest in specialized ASICs to do the tasks vs doing it in software. Switching is classically faster based on the simplier task.. in both the decision logic and what must be rewritten when forwarding.

Really then WHY is a L3 switch not called a ROUTER, Last time I checked it was because it could not share that information outside the L3 switch itself.

Yes modern routers are effectively L3 switches because that's the most efficient way to handle a packet. But the difference is that routers contain both a Forwarding table (L3 switching) and a Routing table where the routing decision is made. Yes those can be static's but static routes kind of defeat the purpose of a router unless you are using a floating static as a fallback route.

ULPO46

Out of curiosity which Orlando Resort should I purchase annual passes for? I'm stuck between Universal and Disney World. The reasons as to why I want to purchase them is because employee passes suck and always have Blackout's the days I actually can take the day off. As i'm back in Florida I now legally am a Florida resident so I can purchase the premium passes for either park. Now I don't want to turn this into a Universal vs. Disney debate but for the price I do think Disney is a better offer since I have four parks plus two water parks and I rather enjoy Golfing so i'd take advantage of the Golf Club. I mean i'm going towards Disney, but I haven't had Universal tickets since the Wizarding World phase one opened. I know that Universal is 429 and Disney is 776 dollars and that can be a huge difference, but I can easily afford it as I'm single and well off financially. Don't get me wrong I like Harry Potter and no doubt Kong will be amazing but is it worth it to pay a little more for Disney or should I pay a little less for Universal?

Goofyernmost

Out of curiosity which Orlando Resort should I purchase annual passes for? I'm stuck between Universal and Disney World. The reasons as to why I want to purchase them is because employee passes suck and always have Blackout's the days I actually can take the day off. As i'm back in Florida I now legally am a Florida resident so I can purchase the premium passes for either park. Now I don't want to turn this into a Universal vs. Disney debate but for the price I do think Disney is a better offer since I have four parks plus two water parks and I rather enjoy Golfing so i'd take advantage of the Golf Club. I mean i'm going towards Disney, but I haven't had Universal tickets since the Wizarding World phase one opened. I know that Universal is 429 and Disney is 776 dollars and that can be a huge difference, but I can easily afford it as I'm single and well off financially. Don't get me wrong I like Harry Potter and no doubt Kong will be amazing but is it worth it to pay a little more for Disney or should I pay a little less for Universal?
For the life of me, I cannot understand how it can be anything other then what you don't want. Based on the question you asked and the way you have asked it you're not only asking for a debate, you're begging for one.

Now don't get me wrong, it is a legitimate question and you certainly are not out of line asking it, however, just be aware of what it will become because the question cannot be answered without opinion which in a public forum, is usually a debate.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Really then WHY is a L3 switch not called a ROUTER, Last time I checked it was because it could not share that information outside the L3 switch itself.

Yes modern routers are effectively L3 switches because that's the most efficient way to handle a packet. But the difference is that routers contain both a Forwarding table (L3 switching) and a Routing table where the routing decision is made. Yes those can be static's but static routes kind of defeat the purpose of a router unless you are using a floating static as a fallback route.

It's called a L3 switch because it's a switch, that also can do L3 forwarding and usually have the full suite of routing protocols/tools. It's still primarily a switch. A L3 switch does not do routing on every packet flowing through it - it only does it for packets destined for one of it's L3 interfaces (normally a virtual interface) where an IP has been defined, then it will route and rewrite the packet as needed, and then hand it back to the switch layer to forward to the relevant ports.

L2 Switches inspect every packet hitting the interface to decide how to forward, drop or reply. Routing and forward/block based on L3 info only comes into play if the packet is addressed to one of the IPs assigned to an interface on the switch. A L3 switch does not just magically forward and route based on looking at what is plugged into it like a L2 switch does. It's still configured and deployed exactly like a classic stand-alone router... it can just live virtually inside the existing switch. It should be named "L2 switches with virtual routers". All the rules about L2 segments, getting a packet from one L3 region to another all still come into play. There are other reasons they integrated the concept into the switch, in how the header inspection is done, driving towards low latency, etc.. but conceptually and in implementation, you could even draw them out physically separate. All the rules of how interfaces, segments, and spanning across ip networks all still apply.

Cesar R M

Oh no my friend… They found a print of the movie from 1977. Two of them in fact. And they weren't in great condition. And apparently they rigged up a digital camera to a 35mm projector and photographed every single frame of film and then corrected every single frame.

It actually looks like a film. It's not like some oversaturated HDR nightmare that sees prevalent these days.....
I was talking about the special edition official release, where you say they cranked the saturation to 11.
The automated dehaze filters do that effect.

tissandtully

It's called a L3 switch because it's a switch, that also can do L3 forwarding and usually have the full suite of routing protocols/tools. It's still primarily a switch. A L3 switch does not do routing on every packet flowing through it - it only does it for packets destined for one of it's L3 interfaces (normally a virtual interface) where an IP has been defined, then it will route and rewrite the packet as needed, and then hand it back to the switch layer to forward to the relevant ports.

L2 Switches inspect every packet hitting the interface to decide how to forward, drop or reply. Routing and forward/block based on L3 info only comes into play if the packet is addressed to one of the IPs assigned to an interface on the switch. A L3 switch does not just magically forward and route based on looking at what is plugged into it like a L2 switch does. It's still configured and deployed exactly like a classic stand-alone router... it can just live virtually inside the existing switch. It should be named "L2 switches with virtual routers". All the rules about L2 segments, getting a packet from one L3 region to another all still come into play. There are other reasons they integrated the concept into the switch, in how the header inspection is done, driving towards low latency, etc.. but conceptually and in implementation, you could even draw them out physically separate. All the rules of how interfaces, segments, and spanning across ip networks all still apply.

Can we move this to the networking thread?

ULPO46

For the life of me, I cannot understand how it can be anything other then what you don't want. Based on the question you asked and the way you have asked it you're not only asking for a debate, you're begging for one.

Now don't get me wrong, it is a legitimate question and you certainly are not out of line asking it, however, just be aware of what it will become because the question cannot be answered without opinion which in a public forum, is usually a debate.
LOL of course not I meant it in a good way. My family thinks I was crazy for wanting to get the passes for Seaworld because I do have fond memories of growing up there. But I mean this in terms of bang for my buck type thing. I'm looking at this as an investment because as an employee of WDPR I only can ask for the block out date passes but as a tax paying citizen I can purchase as an average guest and pay full price. I just haven't been to either park for a good amount of time. I had the Universal Hollywood passes for two and a half years and well I'm now promoted and have a job in Florida again. So that's just my question which one is most reasonable for its price I've yet to meet anyone who has the premium passes for either resort as most of you guys on here are adults with families and I'm still young enough and single enough to have the time to do a lot of the perks that come with the premium passes. I've been looking for any thread that talked about any and I know the best people always post on these spirited threads so I just want an honest opinion before I regret not getting the right park pass.

Mike S

It does look cool.
image.jpeg

PhotoDave219

I was talking about the special edition official release, where you say they cranked the saturation to 11.
The automated dehaze filters do that effect.

I believe youre right.... automated presets do some wonky things.

If a handful of film buffs can restore every frame, you'd think ILM could as well.

JoeCamel

I made my choice a couple of years ago and bought UOR when my WDW expired. I might be back if WDW builds me something cool but for now I am up the street and loving it.

hopemax

Since you haven't been to Universal since 2010, buy the 2 day, get a day free pass from Universal they are promoing (have to use within 14 days, though). Visit for two days, keeping an eye on how much fun you are or aren't having vs Disney. If on, the third day you realize this is pretty good stuff, before you leave the park, head to Guest services and upgrade your ticket to an AP. But why are you even needing the $429 pass and not the $299 Florida Resident ticket. Do you really need free valet, the halloween horror night ticket, and the after 4 express pass?

On my last day at Universal, we accomplished 17 attractions within the two parks, the majority of them I would consider E-tickets, and I loved having not to stress about ride reservations or lines, or where I was going to eat or any of those things. It is so much more of a "carefree" experience. But some people just love the Disney stable of characters and things like Haunted Mansion or Small World, which are areas that Universal has not begun to challenge Disney. Only you can decide that.

Edit: I see you say it's been awhile since you've really done WDW either. Find a day or a partial day when you can use your Maingate and see how that's like too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom