The Spirited 11th Hour ...

lazyboy97o

Iger just had to have his China legacy project, didn't he?

@WDW1974, how much at stake are we talking here related to Shanghai? So much that it would be wrong to hope that it fails and Iger's name is forever tarnished within TWDC? On that note, are there folks wandering the halls at Disney thinking up contingency plans should this whole thing crash faster than China's stock market? Given the situation and how it is now directly affecting other parts of the company, I can't believe the thought hasn't crossed someone's mind...
The big reason for why Euro Disney SCA being loaded up with debt was so that it wasn't Disney's money being spent and sunk into the resort. That didn't stop changes within The Walt Disney Company in terms of how Parks and Resorts were handled.

FigmentForver96

I will say that this can be effective. I emailed George K along with several other Orlando execs and even sent an email to Staggs secretary/assistant in regards to an issue I had. I was not rude in any way. I did not demand any type of compensation. I simply stated my situation and my disappointment in the way it was handled. I received a call within an hour. Seriously, within one hour. She left me a message with her number. It was direct line, not Guest Relations. She was very helpful and it truly felt like the level of customer service from the old days.

It was good to know that they still have amazing service, but I can also understand why it requires taking a few steps to get it. Things have changed over the years with so many people expecting Disney to comp their trip if their kid trips over their own shoe laces on Disney property.
Would you mind PMing the email over to me? I cannot seem to find it and would like to email as well. Being nice of course. :angelic:

the.dreamfinder

Things aren't looking too good at Hong Kong Disneyland...
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Hard-times-return-for-Mickey-and-Minnie
Hard times return for Mickey and Minnie
HONG KONG -- A victim of the dwindling number of visitors from China, Hong Kong Disneyland has suffered a full-year loss after three years in the black.

The park recorded a net loss of $148 million Hong Kong dollars ($19.3 million) for the fiscal year ended October following a HK$332 million profit the previous year. Revenue was down 6.4% at HK$5.1 billion after a record HK$5.4 billion in fiscal 2014, while visitors fell to 6.8 million from a peak of 7.5 million.

Its overall hotel occupancy rate, meanwhile, fell to 79% from the year-earlier 93%, and per-capita guest spending was up only 3%.

The weak performance comes as the Hong Kong theme park girds itself against the economic slowdown in China and competition from the much larger $5.5 billion Shanghai Disneyland, opening in June with lower ticket prices.

"The next two years will be very challenging," Hong Kong Disneyland Managing Director Andrew Kam Min-ho told reporters on Monday, adding: "We have plenty of new attractions to offer."

A 750-room hotel is due to open in 2017. Kam said new attractions this year include a revamp of the Space Mountain roller coaster with elements from "Star Wars," and a themed area based on Marvel's Iron Man franchise.

"Our asset is really differentiation," Kam said. "We will focus on serving customers around the region." Falling numbers from China have encouraged the theme park to look harder at Southeast Asian markets, including Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand. Mainlanders still account for 41% of visitors, and Hong Kongers 39%.

Overall, in Hong Kong, nearly 75% of tourists are from China. The number fell 2.5% to 59.32 million last year -- the first drop since 2003, when Beijing relaxed travel restrictions.

Kam dismissed violent clashes in Mong Kok, Kowloon, on Feb. 8 as a "single event" that would have little impact on the park's business.

Analysts are less optimistic over the longer term, however. A February survey by brokerage CLSA suggests that nearly two-thirds of middle-class families in China want to visit Shanghai Disneyland and 17% plan to go this year.

Cesar R M

Makes sense. The movie really felt like a live action cartoon (if that makes any sense) in the best way.
Agree, with all the wackiness and sillyness a cartoon or comic would have.

speaking of deadpool.. seems it broke even the biggest expectations.. 150 millions?
thats even higher than the "best" 119 million expectation... they even had a 132.1 weekend!

I mean, nearly 300 million already worldwide!
I bet they are scrambling to expand build the franchise now!

Speaking of deadpool.. the chick who does Negasonic is hella cute!

Mike S

Agree, with all the wackiness and sillyness a cartoon or comic would have.

speaking of deadpool.. seems it broke even the biggest expectations.. 150 millions?
thats even higher than the "best" 119 million expectation... they even had a 132.1 weekend!

I mean, nearly 300 million already worldwide!
I bet they are scrambling to expand build the franchise now!

Speaking of deadpool.. the chick who does Negasonic is hella cute!
You sure like speaking of Deadpool ;)

Next Big Thing

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but have to wonder how it will affect Voices of Liberty given BOTH soprano singers in this amazing video are in the group. This went viral across all media outlets over the weekend.

Rollins College in Winter Park put together the arrangement and it was filmed just north of WDW in the small town of Ocoee (also happens to be the town WDW was announced in way back in the '60s).

Mike S

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but have to wonder how it will affect Voices of Liberty given BOTH soprano singers in this amazing video are in the group. This went viral across all media outlets over the weekend.

Rollins College in Winter Park put together the arrangement and it was filmed just north of WDW in the small town of Ocoee (also happens to be the town WDW was announced in way back in the '60s).

Didn't expect Hercules to be there. Great surprise. These people have serious talent :)

Rteetz

That group has other videos. They are quite talented.

Next Big Thing

That group has other videos. They are quite talented.
I'm aware of their other videos. My larger point was this is much more exposure than they've ever had so those two working at a theme park may have better opportunities following this. If so, great for them given how talented they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom