The Spirited 11th Hour ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I never realised the history of the Orange Bird with Anita Bryant. I am actually shocked Disney brought back the orange bird when it is widely associated with such a discriminatory women who did much damage to the LGBT community, a community which Disney has recently stood up for.... Shocked.

Unfortunately I'm not surprised it's all about the bucks and profiting from 20 something hipsters who think anything 'retro' is kewl...

For another culturally loaded reference at one time the Denny's chain was called 'Sambo's' I never saw a company put so much distance between itself and it's original name.

I'm not sympathetic to the SJW's who imagine 'microagressions' in every gesture, But there are symbols and people who really need to be consigned to the dustbin of history for the good of society as a whold.

Goofyernmost

I never realised the history of the Orange Bird with Anita Bryant. I am actually shocked Disney brought back the orange bird when it is widely associated with such a discriminatory women who did much damage to the LGBT community, a community which Disney has recently stood up for.... Shocked.
That is because this is something that happened years ago, and even people like myself, who were around to witness it, are intelligent enough to not blame a cute little "orange bird" for the actions of that bigot. We don't associate that with Anita Bryant any more then I associate Jet Blue Air Lines with her, because there is no connection. If the leader of the KKK drove a Buick, would you no longer buy a Buick. One has nothing to do with the other.

When the "bird" was in use, she wasn't making public statements about her opposition to LGBT, etc. Almost as soon as she did do that, she was released from her contract with the Florida Orange group. As usual, much ado about nothing and righteous indignation that is directed toward the wrong thing.

ssreward

There are plenty of people who remember Anita Bryant's vile campaign and the damage it caused, as @the.dreamfinder pointed out it led to a 30 year ban on LGBT people adopting children in FL.
I'm sure some do, especially native Floridians of that era but I don't think she has any particular association with the character to the vast majority...heck, I doubt the rank & file even know he started as a FL Citrus mascot, it's just a cute retro bird as far as most are concerned!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Unfortunately I'm not surprised it's all about the bucks and profiting from 20 something hipsters who think anything 'retro' is kewl...

For another culturally loaded reference at one time the Denny's chain was called 'Sambo's' I never saw a company put so much distance between itself and it's original name.

I'm not sympathetic to the SJW's who imagine 'microagressions' in every gesture, But there are symbols and people who really need to be consigned to the dustbin of history for the good of society as a whold.
Denny's bought some of the old Sambo restaurants, but the two were never the same company....

VJ

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know, user-edited blah blah blah), Denny's and Sambo's had no connection other than a couple of Sambo's restaurants were converted to Denny's after Sambo's went under, so I don't think it's entirely accurate to say Sambo's was once a name for Denny's.

betty rose

Which should make the good old Orange Bird, innocent of any evil doing shouldn't it! Some hang onto things for a very long time completely without sufficient knowledge of the situation. Anita was a very well liked celebrity until she started her "campaign". She lost it all after that. The punishment has been dealt out, no need to involve others that didn't have any knowledge of her standings on the topic until it was to late.
I feel like a dummy. Orange Bird is my avatar. I never heard it being associated with Anita Bryant. For that matter I didn't know of her positions on the LGQBT community.

TeriofTerror

I feel like a dummy. Orange Bird is my avatar. I never heard it being associated with Anita Bryant. For that matter I didn't know of her positions on the LGQBT community.
I hear you. I was heartbroken when I put it all together. I'm actually envious of people who can disassociate the two. I personally cannot think of his song without hearing her sing it, and I do not want that woman's voice in my head. But I totally get that that's a "Teri" thing, and I don't begrudge others their enjoyment of that sweet little bird!

betty rose

I hear you. I was heartbroken when I put it all together. I'm actually envious of people who can disassociate the two. I personally cannot think of his song without hearing her sing it, and I do not want that woman's voice in my head. But I totally get that that's a "Teri" thing, and I don't begrudge others their enjoyment of that sweet little bird!
I was never a fan of Anita Bryant, maybe that's why I missed it. Every time she came on, I changed the channel. Never cared for her voice.

Goofyernmost

You and just about everyone else at this point. For one thing, it isn't associated with those positions except in the minds of a very few people. It is an irrelevant connection and not worthy of any further concern.

brb1006

Can we discuss about River Of Light or Avatarland instead of the Orange Bird controversy? It's almost April anyways and the first performance for the show will be on April 6 for Cast Members only.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom