The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Wikkler

It's almost been a week... I think it's time we talk about Batman and Superman.
I've been avoiding that train wreck. I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane though. It was amazing.
I can't avoid it.
CdY-W-8VAAEb1l9.jpg

FigmentForver96

Today I learned that my opinions don't, in fact, matter and that arguing with Tumblr morons is absolutely useless. I'm the anon in these pictures and I don't have a Tumblr, and will likely never get one. I was just looking through the Splash Mountain tag because I heard from someone that there were people suggesting a Zootopia retheme there as well as Twitter, so I decided to take a gander at what kind of things people were saying. The very first post I saw when I searched "Most Recent" was this one and it was kind of day-ruining for me reading that to be honest. Because I lack self-control, I felt the need to say something to her, and I was trying to be as nice as possible about it, but clearly it didn't go so well. I was kind of immature about it looking back, but I thought I'd at least try.
Haha I'm so sorry! It's like nobody is claiming the movie didn't have undertones in it that could be, in today's soceity, be meant in a harmful way. I have never met anybody who thought differently. The point is the ride has nothing to do with it! People are also flat out dumb if they really think Disney will shut down the ride and give it a retheme.

People like that are very hard to argue with anyone because they have this "I'm right you are wrong and nothing you say will change my mind" attitude.

Mr. Moderate

If you recall the Orange Bird was 'retired' at the same time because it was created FOR Anita's campaign.

Just ask LGBT folks especially those who were around for that campaign how they feel about the 'Orange Bird'. Some symbols just need to remain in the dustbin of history. In Japan the Orange Bird is simply a cute bird and has no cultural loading, the same is not true in the US.

The bird isn't the problem or the cause of the bigotry you mentioned, it was Anita Bryant and she paid the price and rightfully so. There's no reason to ban the Orange Bird as it was nothing more than part of a harmless ad campaign and a unique slogan for the FCC. It was Anita Bryant who went off the rails and her crazy actions are her's alone. Personal responsibility should come into play here and it's not like the Orange Bird was created for the sole purpose and driving force behind her homophobia. She also did many commercials in the 70's for Coca Cola, Kraft Foods, Holiday Inn, and Tupperware to name a few.
So by using your logic above, should all of those brands she represented, go to the dustbin of history as well? Any reasonable person would say, of course not and the Orange Bird, just like the brands mentioned above, shouldn't pay the price for the mistakes of a performer who was paid to do a series of commercials. Don't be so quick to use censorship and removal of items you deem to be evil or no good in your opinion, when those said items had nothing to do with the actual problem in the first place.

the.dreamfinder

The bird isn't the problem or the cause of the bigotry you mentioned, it was Anita Bryant and she paid the price and rightfully so. There's no reason to ban the Orange Bird as it was nothing more than part of a harmless ad campaign and a unique slogan for the FCC. It was Anita Bryant who went off the rails and her crazy actions are her's alone. Personal responsibility should come into play here and it's not like the Orange Bird was created for the sole purpose and driving force behind her homophobia. She also did many commercials in the 70's for Coca Cola, Kraft Foods, Holiday Inn, and Tupperware to name a few.
So by using your logic above, should all of those brands she represented, go to the dustbin of history as well? Any reasonable person would say, of course not and the Orange Bird, just like the brands mentioned above, shouldn't pay the price for the mistakes of a performer who was paid to do a series of commercials. Don't be so quick to use censorship and removal of items you deem to be evil or no good in your opinion, when those said items had nothing to do with the actual problem in the first place.
Anita Bryant did more than protest against LGBTQ rights and say very shameful things, she got a law on the books in Florida. A law which codified her bigotry to deny generations of gay couples the ability to become parents by adopting children.

Those folks paid the price, not her.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The key which some find impossible to comprehend is that the Orange Bird was CREATED especially for Anita Bryant and her OJ campaign not something for which she happened to produce an ad for. As a result of that campaign AB felt invincible because she was 'America's Sweetheart' and decided to go on her anti-LGBT campaign which hurt a hell of a lot of people. In the end she got what she deserved but there was a hell of a lot of collateral damage along the way.

Now the hipster's who are 'oh so tolerant' adopt the OB because it's retro - not taking into account the association with one of the most vile individuals the US has produced in a very long time.

Disney Analyst

I never realised the history of the Orange Bird with Anita Bryant. I am actually shocked Disney brought back the orange bird when it is widely associated with such a discriminatory women who did much damage to the LGBT community, a community which Disney has recently stood up for.... Shocked.

Mr. Moderate

Anita Bryant did more than protest against LGBTQ rights and say very shameful things, she got a law on the books in Florida. A law which codified her bigotry to deny generations of gay couples the ability to become parents by adopting children.

Those folks paid the price, not her.

Putting that terrible law aside for a moment here, let me respond by saying this, I'm not denying or excusing the horrible things she said and done and was correctly pointing out she paid dearly for her homophobia and not to lump the Orange Bird in with her. When it became apparent to all who read or watched the news that she jumped on the crazy train and then went off a cliff, advertisers and people who listened to her in the past, dropped her quickly and permanently. That's what I was referring too. Of course others were hurt by her terrible actions, but the intention of my original post was to defend the the continued existence of the Orange Bird. It was not created for the express purpose of Anita Bryant's bigotry and unfortunately it was tainted by her terrible actions.

She's now nothing more than example of how bigotry and hatefulness can not only hurt those it's aimed at, but destroy the person who allows it to consume their life. I wouldn't want to be remembered for that when my time comes to leave this earth. That was my point in saying she paid the price.

ssreward

Now the hipster's who are 'oh so tolerant' adopt the OB because it's retro - not taking into account the association with one of the most vile individuals the US has produced in a very long time.
I don't think it involves tolerance so much as nostalgia...its a symbol of FL in the 80s more than anything. You'd have to know about the controversy to associate it with that - I was born in 1980 & had no clue who this Anita being talked about was until now but I definitely remember Orange Bird from my childhood WDW trips!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't think it involves tolerance so much as nostalgia...its a symbol of FL in the 80s more than anything. You'd have to know about the controversy to associate it with that - I was born in 1980 & had no clue who this Anita being talked about was until now but I definitely remember Orange Bird from my childhood WDW trips!

There are plenty of people who remember Anita Bryant's vile campaign and the damage it caused, as @the.dreamfinder pointed out it led to a 30 year ban on LGBT people adopting children in FL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom