The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Cesar R M

Most of the goofy stuff in Indy 4 was George's doing. Like he was so damn determined to get Indiana Jones inside that fridge to escape the nuke that he presented Spielberg with a bundle of papers that explained how it could even plausibly work.
Its my imagination or George career as sinked steadily?
his movies getting worse in therms of details and goofyness.
Its like he got unleashed by the Prequels and he got JarJar stuck in his mind forever.

Mostly because bashing George Lucas is the "Popular" thing to do among certain people. As with any creative mind there will always be detractors.

To be honest, he really decreased in quality a lot. And his quirky need to do recuts every few years dont help.

No Name

The Muppets Land rumor is interesting. It comes up all the time, and yet now it would seem to make the least sense (to TWDC, at least) because The Muppets on ABC did far worse than expected. Out of all things, what would make them go with more muppets? It is possible that Pizza Planet is becoming Muppets themed so maybe Mama Melrose will follow? So that makes 2 restaurants and a show, and then they can add some little things and call it Muppets Land.

Here's an interesting tidbit from wikipedia, with an interesting interview video to back it up (click on the number 81 to get to video): Since the D23 Expo in August 2015, rumors began circulating about the future of Muppet*Vision 3D at both Disney California Adventure and Disney's Hollywood Studios. However, at a September 2015 Dragon Con panel, Debbie McCllelan, the creative director for the Muppet brand at The Walt Disney Company and vice president of Muppet Studios LLC, dispelled these rumors, stated that the parks are outlining new Muppets projects. "We are looking at doing some of what they call 'pop-up' shows [with characters puppeteered live in the parks]," McCllelan said. "The hope is that if the [ABC] show does well, we'll have another movie." [81]

Only thing is, the ABC show did not do well. The first episode had over 9 million viewers, but the last had under 3 million, and you can find those numbers on wikipedia too. But a lot of other evidence and recent events lead to this mini-land happening, so maybe the poor ratings didn't throw a wrench in the plans, which would be an interesting surprise.

Quinnmac000

To be honest, he really decreased in quality a lot. And his quirky need to do recuts every few years dont help.

So did Spielberg in regards to quality but no one is like Spielberg needs to be let go. None of his new films have came with the same impact as any of his old stuff.

FigmentJedi

Only thing is, the ABC show did not do well. The first episode had over 9 million viewers, but the last had under 3 million, and you can find those numbers on wikipedia too. But a lot of other evidence and recent events lead to this mini-land happening, so maybe the poor ratings didn't throw a wrench in the plans, which would be an interesting surprise.
The ratings have been bad, but it's been doing a lot better critically since the retool for the second half of the season. It didn't appear on ABC renewal announcements, but it could end up being brought back as a midseason replacement or something if they decide to reconsider the show's fate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The Muppets Land rumor is interesting. It comes up all the time, and yet now it would seem to make the least sense (to TWDC, at least) because The Muppets on ABC did far worse than expected. Out of all things, what would make them go with more muppets? It is possible that Pizza Planet is becoming Muppets themed so maybe Mama Melrose will follow? So that makes 2 restaurants and a show, and then they can add some little things and call it Muppets Land.

Here's an interesting tidbit from wikipedia, with an interesting interview video to back it up (click on the number 81 to get to video): Since the D23 Expo in August 2015, rumors began circulating about the future of Muppet*Vision 3D at both Disney California Adventure and Disney's Hollywood Studios. However, at a September 2015 Dragon Con panel, Debbie McCllelan, the creative director for the Muppet brand at The Walt Disney Company and vice president of Muppet Studios LLC, dispelled these rumors, stated that the parks are outlining new Muppets projects. "We are looking at doing some of what they call 'pop-up' shows [with characters puppeteered live in the parks]," McCllelan said. "The hope is that if the [ABC] show does well, we'll have another movie." [81]

I think it's more about not having to spend money overhauling the muppet vision building into something else. I don't think converting pizza planet or mama melrose (not sure they would really do both) into a muppet themed restaurant would be based on the success or failure of the muppet show. Having a muppet mini-land is the least expensive way to continue to utilize a low cost, high volume attraction. They had to convert pizza planet into something anyway. This is also the reason I don't see a dark ride added either. The big bucks are going to Star Wars and to a lesser extent Toy Story. This would be a relatively cheap way to create a theme to the mini-land.

I also think the muppets have more of a nostalgic fan following that translates better into a theme park land than a prime time network show. Even if the latest muppet show is a failure and the last movie didn't do all that well that doesn't mean they can't have more muppets in the theme parks. When is the last time Mickey Mouse starred in a prime time TV show or feature film? He's still the biggest star at the parks. Potterland has skewed our perception that everything in the parks has to be based on a mega popular IP (see the numerous Avatar threads).

HMF

You have a serious blind spot regarding the garbage for which Lucas was solely responsible.
One mans garbage is another mans childhood but I keep forgetting that kids in the 70s and early 80s had such a better childhood than mine and the existence of mine somehow ruined theirs.

lazyboy97o

One mans garbage is another mans childhood but I keep forgetting that kids in the 70s and early 80s had such a better childhood than mine and the existence of mine somehow ruined theirs.
That is nothing but an emotional attachment. The very sort you would mock if it were in relation to something ridiculous at Walt Disney World.

HMF

That is nothing but an emotional attachment. The very sort you would mock if it were in relation to something ridiculous at Walt Disney World.
Um, There are plenty of things at WDW that I have an emotional attachment to. Replace Reflections of Earth over my dead body. As for my opinion on what MIGHT be happening to Tower of Terror see the new Spirit thread.

Quinnmac000

And so what. People go to Disney even though its going down due to emotional attachment who is to say your emotional attachment makes it greater. The fact of the matter is people attack someone who literally gave you the things you remember from your childhood and yea his ideas may not be popular now but people should appreciate what he has done and he should have input.

lazyboy97o

Um, There are plenty of things at WDW that I have an emotional attachment to. Replace Reflections of Earth over my dead body. As for my opinion on what MIGHT be happening to Tower of Terror see the new Spirit thread.
And what about all of the things you dislike that others had an emotional attachment to? You having loved something as a kid should not preclude you from later recognizing its flaws. Instead you just stubbornly deny their existence and try to shift the blame onto an older generation that is not alone in the critique.

HMF

Plenty of kids love Guardians of the Galaxy?
Yeah, but how does that make overlaying it onto Tower of Terror a good idea. If this were the idea of Bob Weis the original designer of the attraction then maybe I would (albeit reluctantly) accept it but this is a purely marketing-driven move to cash in on Iger's pet acquisition.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, but how does that make overlaying it onto Tower of Terror a good idea.
That is my point. Whether or not something is important to one's childhood has nothing to do with a creative idea being good. In a few years there may well be those who say it was never a mistake to change the attraction because their childhood was Guardians of Galaxy and not The Twilight Zone or The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

HMF

That is my point. Whether or not something is important to one's childhood has nothing to do with a creative idea being good. In a few years there may well be those who say it was never a mistake to change the attraction because their childhood was Guardians of Galaxy and not The Twilight Zone.
There is a place for both, but it's not appropriate for Tower of Terror and I am not that big a Twilight Zone Fan (Nor a GOTG fan.).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom