The Spirited 11th Hour ...

ColdSarsaparilla

What makes you think I would be happy with that outcome, I've visited the place for 30 years starting as a kid, I've watched Iger and company basically loot the company over the past few years, Just because I believe something is going to happen does NOT mean I will be pleased with the outcome.

As to the parks please recall that Iger was shopping the parks around for sale in 2008 with Prince Alaweed being the most likely buyer, The financial crisis put an end to that.

While the business units will continue if TWDC blows up that will likely be the end of Disney as we know it and that will not be good for ANYONE except perhaps for the senior executives who will float off on their golden parachutes while the ordinary CM and shareholders take it on the chin.

If Parks & Resorts is the "old reliable" they can suck dry when other units are lagging, as some have suggested, why would they have any interest in breaking it off?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If Parks & Resorts is the "old reliable" they can suck dry when other units are lagging, as some have suggested, why would they have any interest in breaking it off?

Logic is not allowed here, But the simple answer is it would generate a boatload of short term cash for new media purchases because Iger is a TV/Movie guy the only divisions of the TWDC he really cares about are the media networks, He has no feeling for the parks at all

lazyboy97o

Totally different than Disney buying Pixar. Public or not Blackstone is still primarily a private equity firm specializing in leveraged buyouts. The intent of buying Sea World was always to flip it not continue to manage it indefinitely. I do remember a lot of fans were unhappy with InBev and how they were neglecting the parks. The hope was Blackstone would right the ship, but within a year they announced layoffs and other cost cutting. Eventually Sea World did turn around financially and Blackstone made a nice profit when they sold.
Intent is really not the issue when describing an acquisition as "going private." And there was some basis for thinking that Blackstone's ownership would be a positive. Merlin Entertainments strengthened and expanded while owned by Blackstone.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Intent is really not the issue when describing an acquisition as "going private." And there was some basis for thinking that Blackstone's ownership would be a positive. Merlin Entertainments strengthened and expanded while owned by Blackstone.
A private equity fund that is managed by Blackstone bought Sea World. That fund is made up of investments from various wealthy individuals, pension funds, etc. Its commonly referred to as "taking a company private" when public stockholders are bought out with a mix of equity from a private equity fund and debt. In a highly leveraged takeover the majority comes from debt. That is what happened here. The ABInbev shareholders were replaced by Blackstone's fund and a bunch of debt.

No doubt there are hits and misses with private equity and it's not always bad, but it's also not a lock to be a positive for the company.

asianway

Did I just see a few grown men who "blog" for a living about a theme park moan about a bunch of teenagers show up for a teen star appearance?

lazyboy97o

The biggest thing is the Chinese Government is not liking SDL. At the recent party meeting more than one MP stated that they didn't like it and would rather have Chinese tourists go to the local parks... (One MP in particular was rather vocal because he has a "theme park" in his district and is worried about SDL.)
A few Party members looking out for their own glory and enterprises does not make for a Party-wide view.

Pirate665

The party leader said he agreed, thus making it party wide. (Remember, Communism works like that. Party leader say, Party leader right.) Doesn't mean they won't sit back though and take the cheques. They didn't vote to stop it or even vote on it all, they just had opinions. That's something they do often, just to save face and take a cheque. "We don't agree that this is China..." One need see that their major priority in the party eye's is Hong Kong and making it more like the main land. That's what the majority of the meeting focused on. But, if they don't say something, then later they can be accused of not thinking about the main land or the party. Thus is why there is alot of current audits and members going bye-bye lately, they didn't back up party and instead only took the cheque.

I just don't think the crowds will come, personally. It's gonna be like HKDL. It struggled for a long time to become profitable. While SDL has alot going for it, I don't think it'll be profitable until it's been around and international tourism has the need to go there. So I think SDL is a sinkhole that Disney is hoping won't be.

PhotoDave219

The party leader said he agreed, thus making it party wide. (Remember, Communism works like that. Party leader say, Party leader right.) Doesn't mean they won't sit back though and take the cheques. They didn't vote to stop it or even vote on it all, they just had opinions. That's something they do often, just to save face and take a cheque. "We don't agree that this is China..." One need see that their major priority in the party eye's is Hong Kong and making it more like the main land. That's what the majority of the meeting focused on. But, if they don't say something, then later they can be accused of not thinking about the main land or the party. Thus is why there is alot of current audits and members going bye-bye lately, they didn't back up party and instead only took the cheque.

I just don't think the crowds will come, personally. It's gonna be like HKDL. It struggled for a long time to become profitable. While SDL has alot going for it, I don't think it'll be profitable until it's been around and international tourism has the need to go there. So I think SDL is a sinkhole that Disney is hoping won't be.

Well, there's a vocal group around these forums that thinks what you're saying is crazy talk.

Of course I think they all earned coveted spots on my ignore list.....

I rather think that this will be lil' Bobby Iger's Waterloo.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, there's a vocal group around these forums that thinks what you're saying is crazy talk.

Of course I think they all earned coveted spots on my ignore list.....

I rather think that this will be lil' Bobby Iger's Waterloo.

Trouble is after it's over TWDC finances are gonna look like WW II Hamburg after the Allied Bombing...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
with records profits, which makes very little sense unless they are hidden some sort of enron building up in the holes of NGE, My Magic and Shangai Disneyland.

Exactly what I've been saying for a LONG time, We see these glowing earnings reports yet the company spends money like a tech company deep in the red struggling for the next round of funding.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I don't think a sinkhole is destructive enough perhaps supermassive black hole, We see it's existance in the Disney universe already it's sucking in everything around it even stuff that's continents away from it's event horizon.

lazyboy97o

The National People's Congress and the Chinese People's Consultative Conference are an act of political theater intended to make the system look more open. Focusing more on Chinese culture and practices has been part of Xi Jinping's rhetoric but it hasn't really stopped anything, including Shanghai Disney Resort or Universal Studios Beijing.

Like Euro Disney, Hong Kong Disneyland Resort struggles for profitability in large part because of the huge costs of everything surrounding the park. It really is not a measurement of visitation or popularity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom