The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Marriedatdisney

Just arrived at DW today, checked into the beach club villas. I know these rooms are getting renovated, but man it's not a day to early. I paid cash for tonight $600, then points for a week in a 2 bedroom. These units are worn out hard. Broken cabinet frames, worn out furniture, bad tile patching and caulking....

But my post is really about first impressions of the park and what I overheard two boat operators saying. Hollywood studios is seriously chopped up with half open things left and right. To be expected for sure knowing about the Star Wars investments, but after reading posts here for a while I guess I still didn't get it until walking the park. What's worse is the things that are open, are as worn out as our room. Three different star tours vehicles and each had 3-5 seats out of order. Toy Story? Couldn't tell you, it went down at 3 right when our FP was and stayed down. Walls all over needed paint. The boats looked like hell.

Lastly, overheard two boat captains talking about the budget cuts and how they were struggling to keep the boats running. I don't think it was for my benefit but you never know. I was married at Disney and our kids love it, and to be honest I'm the Disney nut. So I say this not as a basher, something is going on.... There is trash in walkways and everything looks beat up. Either they are clamping too tight, the crowds are taking their tolls or leadership doesn't give a s.... Maybe all three...

Cesar R M

The biggest thing is the Chinese Government is not liking SDL. At the recent party meeting more than one MP stated that they didn't like it and would rather have Chinese tourists go to the local parks... (One MP in particular was rather vocal because he has a "theme park" in his district and is worried about SDL.)
so, it might be a fight on whose official gets the "approval" of the top chinese elite?

Cesar R M

Just arrived at DW today, checked into the beach club villas. I know these rooms are getting renovated, but man it's not a day to early. I paid cash for tonight $600, then points for a week in a 2 bedroom. These units are worn out hard. Broken cabinet frames, worn out furniture, bad tile patching and caulking....

But my post is really about first impressions of the park and what I overheard two boat operators saying. Hollywood studios is seriously chopped up with half open things left and right. To be expected for sure knowing about the Star Wars investments, but after reading posts here for a while I guess I still didn't get it until walking the park. What's worse is the things that are open, are as worn out as our room. Three different star tours vehicles and each had 3-5 seats out of order. Toy Story? Couldn't tell you, it went down at 3 right when our FP was and stayed down. Walls all over needed paint. The boats looked like hell.

Lastly, overheard two boat captains talking about the budget cuts and how they were struggling to keep the boats running. I don't think it was for my benefit but you never know. I was married at Disney and our kids love it, and to be honest I'm the Disney nut. So I say this not as a basher, something is going on.... There is trash in walkways and everything looks beat up. Either they are clamping too tight, the crowds are taking their tolls or leadership doesn't give a s.... Maybe all three...
you know something is ruined when the biggest pixie dusters (the workers) are worried about things falling apart as they use them... D:

Pirate665

Went to DAK yesterday and I'm pretty saddened by the state of things there as well. And I don't think I've ever seen it that dirty before. I hope that things get better soon. I'm watching my parks go downhill fast. And EPCOT was just as bad yesterday.

Marriedatdisney

Went to DAK yesterday and I'm pretty saddened by the state of things there as well. And I don't think I've ever seen it that dirty before. I hope that things get better soon. I'm watching my parks go downhill fast. And EPCOT was just as bad yesterday.

Agreed to some extent. New areas since our last visit are pretty nice. But walls up everywhere and some areas like DinoLand are just beat to heck. So far the visit feels like half of everything is beat down and the other half under construction.

Cesar R M

dirt as in construction dirt?
considering 40% of the park is between areas under construction., I am no surprised honestly.

hopemax

Over Christmas, I was shocked at the condition of the Friendship boats. This is on the hotel loop, not inside Epcot. I took this picture, but I'm not sure it adequately shows how damaged the outside appeared to be. Hopefully this works, I don't normally share from Google but it was faster. What, do they think people are too busy juggling kids and strollers to notice?

IMG_8079.JPG

peter11435

Over Christmas, I was shocked at the condition of the Friendship boats. This is on the hotel loop, not inside Epcot. I took this picture, but I'm not sure it adequately shows how damaged the outside appeared to be. Hopefully this works, I don't normally share from Google but it was faster. What, do they think people are too busy juggling kids and strollers to notice?

IMG_8079.JPG
The friendship boats are in absolutely terrible condition. It's unacceptable.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Musings:

So, I haven't checked in here in three weeks. Yep, my enthusiasm for Disney and news are at a low right now.

First, have you seen this? http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/03/12/is-disney-world-making-a-5000-seat-mistake.aspx
Any chance to see Dr. Blondie acting like a media pro (and I didn't say it was quality acting) is worth reading Rick's pontifications on DIS.

How long before the show has to be reworked to add foamheads?

Guess we can start with a positive. Saw Zootopia. Loved it. Easily the best WDFA production in the 21st century. Yes, much better than Frozen or Princess Tangled or Wreck it Ralph. Great animation. Solid story. Good message that doesn't totally beat you over the head. Oh, and lots of theme park potential.

The thing is the film has Pixar DNA all over it. Sorry to all the fanbois who still think the Disney name means all that much. Of course it really doesn't matter. You'll likely see the two units totally merged as soon as Lasseter and Catmull are gone. It will be something like Walt DIsney/Pixar Feature Animation for a few years ... and then just Disney when management decides to cut duplicate positions and streamline (add in all those strategic planning words).

So, Disney is doing great in O-Town this spring, right? They just dropped the FL resident blockouts on what are traditionally two of the four busiest weeks of the year out of the goodness of their hearts, right?

Shanghai continues to gear up for opening. I wish I could share a story told to me recently ... and I am working on it. But just know Bob Iger is totally in control over there. He'll give those Commies what for! Sure.

I loved Willow Bay's Kylo Ren dress at the Oscars this year.

Has one blogger/podcaster/lifestyler who takes freebies from TWDC come out against the recent O-Town cutbacks or the huge price increases buried in the surge pricing news? Didn't think so.

Well, @Lee can breathe a sigh of relief as Agents of Marvel BRANDING was renewed. Things don't look so good for the other Marvel commercial on ABC.

Speaking of which, you should check out The Family on ABC. It again shows the quality of some of the network's efforts. Quite strong through three episodes. ... Speaking of which, am loving Season 2 of Better Call Saul on AMC. What a wonderfully crafted piece of storytelling by Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould and Co.

Remember that alleged major Frontierland attraction coming to the MK? Yeah, me neither.

The reviews I am hearing for Luigi's Rolickin Roadsters are not very good. Largely a wasted opportunity is what I hear.

Apparently, Disney tried to play the buying a car pricing game with the folks at Meyer Werft and the result is an expansion much later than originally planned. That's OK, though. Not like anyone else has discovered the Asian ...what? Oh, nevermind.

You did hear The Weatherman basically concede reality regarding Disney EVER having the rights to use the Marvel characters east of the Mississippi, right?

Only $96 for a room at the A-S-S? WHAT A BARGAIN!?!?! Or not ...

Disney's accelerated pace for Star Wars Land in Anaheim has less to do with the Mouse and more to do with city officials who have been quite pushy and vocal after giving Disney a 30-year break on taxing admission media. Still, getting the land open by 12/18 will take a herculean effort.

So, UNI-Hollywood will be adding a Walking Dead walk thru attraction this summer. I sincerely hope it is significantly better than any of the Walking Dead houses that Orlando has had for HHNs as they have been routinely the biggest disappointments.

What ...?!??! The IRS is looking into a Lifestyler for tax fraud?!??! HAHHAHA ... no, I never saw that one coming. I doubt the individual(s) in question will either.

Emirates now flies from O-Town to Dubai. Just in case one repressive, overbuilt, overrated town built on a shaky foundation isn't enough for you.

Oh, and UAL moved up the retirement of its 747s, but who tortures themselves by flying them?

So, Paris has a spring event with fresh entertainment, including a new stage show in Frontierland and EPCOT's Spring Food and Wine Fest has ... a few new topiaries ... and a few moved to different locations. Hmm ... yup, blame DLP for O-town's woes.

The best Marvel film of the year will not be this Captain America Civil War (got to hear a kid in a Wendy's explain who was going to be on each side the other day ... very amusing) that everyone in the fan community will be eating up like cupcakes with Dr. Blondie. Nope. It was already released ... by FOX ... Deadpool. You may have heard of it.

Finally, it is VERY possible that WDW's 50th anniversary -- you know they are ignoring the 45th this year, right? -- will be all about DCL expansion and Star Wars Land. And not a whole lot more beyond a new parade and night spectacular/Wishes replacement. VERY possible.

Oh and if you are an Angry Disney Fan in the Twitverse (or elsewhere), you are always welcome to read here.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Spirited Musings:

So, I haven't checked in here in three weeks. Yep, my enthusiasm for Disney and news are at a low right now.

First, have you seen this? http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/03/12/is-disney-world-making-a-5000-seat-mistake.aspx
Any chance to see Dr. Blondie acting like a media pro (and I didn't say it was quality acting) is worth reading Rick's pontifications on DIS.

Guess we can start with a positive. Saw Zootopia. Loved it. Easily the best WDFA production in the 21st century. Yes, much better than Frozen or Princess Tangled or Wreck it Ralph. Great animation. Solid story. Good message that doesn't totally beat you over the head. Oh, and lots of theme park potential.

The thing is the film has Pixar DNA all over it. Sorry to all the fanbois who still think the Disney name means all that much. Of course it really doesn't matter. You'll likely see the two units totally merged as soon as Lasseter and Catmull are gone. It will be something like Walt DIsney/Pixar Feature Animation for a few years ... and then just Disney when management decides to cut duplicate positions and streamline (add in all those strategic planning words).

So, Disney is doing great in O-Town this spring, right? They just dropped the FL resident blockouts on what are traditionally two of the four busiest weeks of the year out of the goodness of their hearts, right?

Shanghai continues to gear up for opening. I wish I could share a story told to me recently ... and I am working on it. But just know Bob Iger is totally in control over there. He'll give those Commies what for! Sure.

Has one blogger/podcaster/lifestyler who takes freebies from TWDC come out against the recent O-Town cutbacks or the huge price increases buried in the surge pricing news? Didn't think so.

Well, @Lee can breathe a sigh of relief as Agents of Marvel BRANDING was renewed. Things don't look so good for the other Marvel commercial on ABC.

Speaking of which, you should check out The Family on ABC. It again shows the quality of some of the network's efforts. Quite strong through three episodes. ... Speaking of which, am loving Season 2 of Better Call Saul on AMC. What a wonderfully crafted piece of storytelling by Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould and Co.

Remember that alleged major Frontierland attraction coming to the MK? Yeah, me neither.

The reviews I am hearing for Luigi's Rolickin Roadsters are not very good. Largely a wasted opportunity is what I hear.

Apparently, Disney tried to play the buying a car pricing game with the folks at Meyer Werft and the result is an expansion much later than originally planned. That's OK, though. Not like anyone else has discovered the Asian ...what? Oh, nevermind.

You did hear The Weatherman basically concede reality regarding Disney EVER having the rights to use the Marvel characters east of the Mississippi, right?

Disney's accelerated pace for Star Wars Land in Anaheim has less to do with the Mouse and more to do with city officials who have been quite pushy and vocal after giving Disney a 30-year break on taxing admission media. Still, getting the land open by 12/18 will take a herculean effort.

So, UNI-Hollywood will be adding a Walking Dead walk thru attraction this summer. I sincerely hope it is significantly better than any of the Walking Dead houses that Orlando has had for HHNs as they have been routinely the biggest disappointments.

What ...?!??! The IRS is looking into a Lifestyler for tax fraud?!??! HAHHAHA ... no, I never saw that one coming. I doubt the individual(s) in question will either.

Emirates now flies from O-Town to Dubai. Just in case one repressive, overbuilt, overrated town built on a shaky foundation isn't enough for you.

Oh, and UAL moved up the retirement of its 747s, but who tortures themselves by flying them?

So, Paris has a spring event with fresh entertainment, including a new stage show in Frontierland and EPCOT's Spring Food and Wine Fest has ... a few new topiaries ... and a few moved to different locations. Hmm ... yup, blame DLP for O-town's woes.

The best Marvel film of the year will not be this Captain America Civil War (got to hear a kid in a Wendy's explain who was going to be on each side the other day ... very amusing) that everyone in the fan community will be eating up like cupcakes with Dr. Blondie. Nope. It was already released ... by FOX ... Deadpool. You may have heard of it.

Finally, it is VERY possible that WDW's 50th anniversary -- you know they are ignoring the 45th this year, right? -- will be all about DCL expansion and Star Wars Land. And not a whole lot more beyond a new parade and night spectacular/Wishes replacement. VERY possible.

Oh and if you are an Angry Disney Fan in the Twitverse (or elsewhere), you are always welcome to read here.

Zootopia was great in every way that it could be great. I could totally see this being a mini land of sorts in a park.

You're also correct, Deadpool was the best superhero movie of the year and despite there being I think 6 superhero movies this year, I find it hard for anyone to top it.

Edit: I think BvS, Civil War, Dr Strange and Suicide Squad will also be good but Deadpool was great. I just hope studios don't do that thing where they try and mimic success and start making tons of rated R movies. Suicide Squad looks pretty great as well.

Mike S

Spirited Musings:

Really? 2018 for DL and 2021 for WDW SWL? :banghead:

I also loved Deadpool and will be seeing Zootopia this week.

NearTheEars

Spirited Musings:

Wouldn't adding characters to ROL make their potential capacity issues worse?

PhotoDave219

Spirited Musings:

Wait.... Lifestyler? IRS?!? Tax fraud?!?!
What the heck?!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom