The Spirited 11th Hour ...

NearTheEars

the.dreamfinder

Inside Out truly deserves the award though, unlike the last Pixar film to win the category.
The 2017 race for Best Animated Feature looks like a Disney Pixar gang battle. They will have three big titles between the studios and that's before you include DreamWorks, BlueSky Illumination, or the independents. I don't think all three Disney titles will get nods.

The nominees for Best Animated Feature, as they have been for the fast couple of years, are excellent. Unlike certain other branches of the Academy, the animation nominating committee has assemble a group of films that represent the medium at its best and at its whole.

GiveMeTheMusic

The 2017 race for Best Animated Feature looks like a Disney Pixar gang battle. They will have three big titles between the studios and that's before you include DreamWorks, BlueSky Illumination, or the independents. I don't think all three Disney titles will get nods.

The nominees for Best Animated Feature, as they have been for the fast couple of years, are excellent. Unlike certain other branches of the Academy, the animation nominating committee has assemble a group of films that represent the medium at its best and at its whole.

Zootopia and Moana stand to be much more critically acclaimed than Finding Dory, which doesn't have strong prospects beyond being a summer moneymaker. Wouldn't surprise me if Dory got left out of the nomination next year.

Sped2424

Zootopia and Moana stand to be much more critically acclaimed than Finding Dory, which doesn't have strong prospects beyond being a summer moneymaker. Wouldn't surprise me if Dory got left out of the nomination next year.
I think it's a little early to count finding dory out. Finding Nemo was a critic favorite. Now the only question here is can Pixar bring back the magic with the second film beyond it just printing money.

GiveMeTheMusic

I think it's a little early to count finding dory out. Finding Nemo was a critic favorite. Now the only question here is can Pixar bring back the magic with the second film beyond it just printing money.

It is early, but the buzz I've gotten isn't great. Would be happy to be wrong, but both WDAS releases have better buzz in the industry right now.

Prince-1

It is early, but the buzz I've gotten isn't great. Would be happy to be wrong, but both WDAS releases have better buzz in the industry right now.

I heard the same... internally they aren't expecting much from Finding Dory.

Would you please list where said bad buzz was heard from. I may not have an inside track at Pixar as you two do but I looked online to see if I could find anything and came up with and got nada.

Last edited:

Kman101

I always laugh when I hear "internally they don't expect much". I mean, they never ever do for the most part and then act shocked when it does well. I have no clue how Finding Dory will do and I'm not rushing to see it but it's likely, as others have said, to print money. Whether it translates to it being a good movie? We'll see but it's just funny to hear they don't expect much because didn't they not expect much from Frozen and look where we are now? And I'm far from that movie's biggest champion.

The Empress Lilly

It's a win with no effort. It's a well known fact that Academy voters never watch the animated nominees and just vote based on what their kids liked.

Remember when the Irish "Song of the Sea" and the Japanese "Tale of the Princess Kaguya" were dismissed as "obscure f@#ing Chinese things nobody saw" last year?
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-se...ters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html
Good Asian animation has the emotional maturity level of the best of Western adult independent cinema. Meanwhile, people consider an eighteen year old kid waving goodbye to his childhood Cowboy and Space Ranger toys as the greatest emotional triumph of American animation.

The world's bigger than Pixar.

The Empress Lilly

b-usjharry-a-20140813.jpg
Goodness...

I admit to complete ignorance about sightlines in UNI Japan, in situ. Is this an actual vantage point? A busy walkway, or just an obscure spot the photographer had to go out of his way for? Do they expect the trees to grow in and obscure the show building?

the.dreamfinder

Good Asian animation has the emotional maturity level of the best of Western adult independent cinema. Meanwhile, people consider an eighteen year old kid waving goodbye to his childhood Cowboy and Space Ranger toys as the greatest emotional triumph of American animation.

The world's bigger than Pixar.
Speaking of which, Takahata San's 1991 masterpiece "Only Yesterday" is screening in select American cities now. A worthwhile experience.
http://onlyyesterdayfilm.com/

Hey guys I found some leaked concept art for USH's Diagon Alley, It sure looks like it takes after Hogsmeade (in terms of sight lines) ;). View attachment 132676

(No matter how angry you are with some of Disney's choices, just be thankful that we don't have to see this lmao) :p

Trolling? This sight line is impossible from Universal City.
Due to the unique topography of USH, a Diagon Alley replica could be incredible.

The Empress Lilly

Speaking of which, Takahata San's 1991 masterpiece "Only Yesterday" is screening in select American cities now. A worthwhile experience.
http://onlyyesterdayfilm.com/
I saw that one not too long ago! I liked it, but it suffered from lousy subtitles (or so I think...lookarou). A bit showing its age, but still great.
Indeed, I had this coming of age movie in mind when compared to Toy Story III.

BrianLo

Goodness...

I admit to complete ignorance about sightlines in UNI Japan, in situ. Is this an actual vantage point? A busy walkway, or just an obscure spot the photographer had to go out of his way for? Do they expect the trees to grow in and obscure the show building?

It's 'the' money shot from the meandering entrance to the land. It's the place they want you to take photos from.

That said I'm being a bit facetious, I still generally think it looks gorgeous, even if they stopped short at the finish line. The trees may eventually fill in, but that might also wreck some of the forced perspective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom